Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Suederwind

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Suederwind »

A few random questions, not sure if they have been asked before:

How do the more combat focused casts view the Listel? Do they participate in direct action or are they really just staying behind and observe?

Do the Loroi listen to music in their free time?

Are all the Loroi colonies that had been conquered by the Umiak reconquered by their former owners or now a part of the destroyed worlds in the Steppes?
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Suederwind wrote:How do the more combat focused casts view the Listel? Do they participate in direct action or are they really just staying behind and observe?
I think that pure-combat specialties will always have a bit of extra swagger in comparison to support specialties, but all the Loroi warrior castes receive rigorous combat training that starts at a young age, and the Listel are fully qualified for combat. Aboard a warship, all specialties are exposed to risk, but Listel would not normally accompany a marine excursion unless there was a specific need for an observer or a "science officer." In an infantry unit, there will usually be a Listel (and a Mizol) with the Loroi equivalent of a battalion headquarters, which would usually not participate in direct combat.
Suederwind wrote:Do the Loroi listen to music in their free time?
Some might, but I don't think this would be common. In addition to not having as strong a musical tradition as human cultures do, Loroi entertainment usually centers around live performances. Though some Loroi subcultures are more musical than others.
Suederwind wrote:Are all the Loroi colonies that had been conquered by the Umiak reconquered by their former owners or now a part of the destroyed worlds in the Steppes?
Several former Loroi colonies (including Nelain and Tasinei) were among those worlds that are now part of the Charred Steppes (there were no significant populations remaining on these worlds at the time that they were razed; they had either fled before the invasion, been exterminated by the Umiak, or the survivors had been evacuated after recapture). Tedel and all of the former Loroi colonies spinward of the Seren Corridor are still under Umiak occupation.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Tedel and all of the former Loroi colonies spinward of the Seren Corridor are still under Umiak occupation.

Sorry, but is that towards human space or away from it?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Grayhome wrote:Sorry, but is that towards human space or away from it?
Human space is coreward and towards galactic North relative to Loroi territory.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

So after checking the maps section, I read that to be yes? Unless I am failed my map reading score.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Arioch wrote:I think that pure-combat specialties will always have a bit of extra swagger in comparison to support specialties, but all the Loroi warrior castes receive rigorous combat training that starts at a young age, and the Listel are fully qualified for combat. Aboard a warship, all specialties are exposed to risk, but Listel would not normally accompany a marine excursion unless there was a specific need for an observer or a "science officer." In an infantry unit, there will usually be a Listel (and a Mizol) with the Loroi equivalent of a battalion headquarters, which would usually not participate in direct combat.
I have to admit that I had trouble to imagine how a Listel would fit in into such a marine excursion. For whatever reason, I was thinking of them as some kind of "embedded journalist"/science officer/telepathic database mixture that needs to be protected, as fighting is not their primary role. Its good to know that they can take care of themselves, so to speak.
Arioch wrote:Some might, but I don't think this would be common. In addition to not having as strong a musical tradition as human cultures do, Loroi entertainment usually centers around live performances. Though some Loroi subcultures are more musical than others.
So that means no recorded music (or at least to a very limited extend, not counting Listel memories)?
I wonder what the Loroi might think when they analyze Jardins Ipod equivalent (if there is any) and listen to whats on it. But I assume there are other races that they had previously encountered, with a stronger musical tradition and they won't be surprised when they suddenly listen to whatever is popular on Earth in 2160.
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Grayhome wrote:So after checking the maps section, I read that to be yes? Unless I am failed my map reading score.
The spinward and coreward directions are perpendicular to each other, so the Umiak-occupied portion of the Steppes is neither closer to nor farther away from Human space, relative to Loroi territory.
Suederwind wrote:So that means no recorded music (or at least to a very limited extend, not counting Listel memories)? I wonder what the Loroi might think when they analyze Jardins Ipod equivalent (if there is any) and listen to whats on it. But I assume there are other races that they had previously encountered, with a stronger musical tradition and they won't be surprised when they suddenly listen to whatever is popular on Earth in 2160.
I'm sure that there is recorded music, but those who listen to it would be regarded as sort of nerdy tech-enthusiasts, kind of the way our culture regarded ham radio enthusiasts. Prior to the invention of the phonograph, music in human culture was either something that you went to see in a public performance, or something that was played on a piano or other instrument at home for family or guests. Technology completely changed that culture for humans in less than a generation, but I don't think the Loroi would be so quick to change. Many Loroi music aficionados would hold the view, "that's not music, it's masturbation."

As you mention, the Loroi have had contact with numerous other alien races and cultures, and so I doubt there's anything they would encounter in the Bellarmine's music library that would shock them.

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

As you mention, the Loroi have had contact with numerous other alien races and cultures, and so I doubt there's anything they would encounter in the Bellarmine's music library that would shock them.
Gangnam style?
And what about all electronic music?

Well, Loroi have humor. Does they have circus?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Alexandr Koori wrote:Gangnam style?
I would be very surprised if people are still listening to this 5 years from now, much less 150 years from now.
Alexandr Koori wrote:And what about all electronic music?
Most Loroi are traditionalists, so I think this would be rare in Loroi music. But there is always alien music to consider.
Alexandr Koori wrote:Well, Loroi have humor. Does they have circus?
The individual elements of circuses (acrobatic performers, animal menageries, freakshows) probably have analogues in Loroi performing arts, and a traveling band of live performers makes sense in the Loroi model. But I think the Loroi would correctly recognize clowns as dangerous undead creatures that need to be killed with fire.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Arioch wrote:
Alexandr Koori wrote:Well, Loroi have humor. Does they have circus?
The individual elements of circuses (acrobatic performers, animal menageries, freakshows) probably have analogues in Loroi performing arts, and a traveling band of live performers makes sense in the Loroi model. But I think the Loroi would correctly recognize clowns as dangerous undead creatures that need to be killed with fire.
Finally. someone sensible! :mrgreen:
Don't delay, join today!

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

Arioch wrote: I would be very surprised if people are still listening to this 5 years from now, much less 150 years from now.
What are the memes of the future like? How has the internet changed?
Ashrain is best rain.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Count Casimir wrote:
Arioch wrote: I would be very surprised if people are still listening to this 5 years from now, much less 150 years from now.
What are the memes of the future like? How has the internet changed?
Fifty bucks says reddit is still a major thing.

Also, on the subject of Loroi humor: wonder if they'd have standup comedians. I mean, at the very least, Whose Line gets pretty outlandish.
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

It's difficult to imagine the ways in which popular culture might evolve. Luckily, it has nothing to do with this particular story. Regarding Loroi comedy:
Arioch wrote:I've observed that the more conservative and buttoned-down the society, the more ridiculous and outrageous their sense of humor. I suspect that a lot of what the Loroi would find funny is slapstick, wacky non-sequitur Monty Python type stuff.

I doubt that the Loroi would have professional comedians in society that doesn't understand fiction. I suppose they might have Stand-up Philosophers.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

What do the Nedatan do? and what do theirs and the Bistima's outfits look like?
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

CJ Miller wrote:What do the Nedatan do? and what do theirs and the Bistima's outfits look like?
The Nedatan have a role similar to our clergy: they are responsible for maintaining and disseminating the telepathic heroic sagas of the Loroi, and they monitor and administer to the well-being of the Loroi populace. Like any other male Loroi order, they also spend a significant amount of time fertilizing females. There are a number of specialties within the Nedatan order, including individuals with Listel-like abilities who are chiefly responsible for maintaining the sagas, individuals with Mizol-like telepathic techniques for psychoanalysis and therapy, and individuals with Bistima-like farseeing abilities used for monitoring local Loroi populations.

Nedatan outfits are blue, similar to what the character in my avatar is wearing.

Details about the Bistima are currently classified.

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

I was curious about what the loroi uniforms were made from, some kind of cotton like material or a something like flexible armor.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

wasp609 wrote:I was curious about what the loroi uniforms were made from, some kind of cotton like material or a something like flexible armor.
It's an electrically active synthetic fiber. It varies in properties depending on the thickness and weave, from cloth-like material (in the "black" sections) to a stiffer but still flexible leather-like material (in the "armored" sections).

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

thanks for the info im a little surprised I got word from arioch on my first question.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Why do they dim the bridge lights during a battle?
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

CJ Miller wrote:Why do they dim the bridge lights during a battle?
I presume it is for the same reason they dim the lights in a movie theater: so you can better see the displays.