Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Karst45

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Karst45 »

they dont always dime the light during battle *cough* Star "lense flare" Trek *cough*

But my hypothesis is that it help to focus on your screen and not being distracted. That or it date from the first sea battle, were Visual identification were more frequent. Having a bridge fully lighted would make you more easy to target.

I also heard that the colored light had positive effect on mood/mindset for a battle. i dont have reference so fell free to correct me

i know blue light in APC are made for trooper to see but dont affect much the natural night vision for when they get out in the night. also it less easy to spot than say an white light in a black night.

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

I accidentally found this pic, and I wondered - on Fireblade casual or national loroi costume or this is just fantasy?
http://img.365imgs.cn/opus/picture_cart ... 202453.jpg

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

That was a gift for Juno Kim (a.k.a. Jeannie Lee); Fireblade and Juno's character Estennia have switched costumes. It's c.2000, so the Loroi uniform was quite different from what it is now.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

2000!Fireblade needs to meet her modern-day counterpart. Whether she's in her uniform or Estennia's outfit is of no consequence. ;)
Don't delay, join today!

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

great find Alex, but I can't see the image, says access is forbidden on the www.image 362.cn site :(
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

NOMAD wrote:great find Alex, but I can't see the image, says access is forbidden on the http://www.image 362.cn site :(
I got a re-direct loop error in Chrome, worked in Firefox.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

fredgiblet wrote:
NOMAD wrote:great find Alex, but I can't see the image, says access is forbidden on the http://www.image 362.cn site :(
I got a re-direct loop error in Chrome, worked in Firefox.
Worked in Safari on my Tablet, didn't work in my good old Opera 12 on my PC. Very strange...
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The image is still on my server: http://well-of-souls.com/gallery/images/juno_gift00.jpg

I also got the redirect error on Chrome, but not IE10.

Mikk

Post by Mikk »

Karst45 wrote:i know blue light in APC are made for trooper to see but dont affect much the natural night vision for when they get out in the night. also it less easy to spot than say an white light in a black night.
I'm pretty sure you mean red light? Human "night vision" is nearly blind, and therefore insensitive, to red, which is why workspaces that need preserving "night vision" resort to using red lighting for visual tasks that need the sharpness of "day vision" at the same time.

A pretty impressive example monochrome-looking red-lit workspace I noticed in video is Discovery Channel's Mighty Ships episode involving a Coast Guard cutter of the USA, it's CIC was pretty darn bright-looking (unless it was the camera sensitivity's dynamic range allowing the viewer to be misled), and very uncolorfully red, IIRC. The windowed bridge on top was much less red-lit, probably to keep it darker, but also because the camera had other light sources to consider.

EDIT:
Found a clip containing samples from the same film stock as the TV documentary. Specific moments of interest at 1min:20s and 2min:53s. An example of intercept crew having a red-light zone afte exiting the white-lit corridor interior in the ship can also be seen near the beginning.

Edit-more: typos&punctuation.
Fandom established 2004*. (*Official records lost)
Sometimes I have a twisted mind…
¿What could possibly be better than giant robots fighting with knives? ¡Giant robots fighting with swords, of course!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Mikk wrote:Found a clip containing samples from the same film stock as the TV documentary. Specific moments of interest at 1min:20s and 2min:53s. An example of intercept crew having a red-light zone afte exiting the white-lit corridor interior in the ship can also be seen near the beginning.
Hmmm... notice in the CIC shot around 1:20 that the whole scene is monochrome red... even all the displays and computer screens are red. I find that very unlikely. I have the feeling that the red was added post-process by the show's producers... perhaps it was shot with a low-light camera which was monochrome and the red was added afterward. In other shots in the equipment room and the windowed bridge, the lighting looks more realistic, but it still feels in some places like there was a lot of touch-up.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Arioch wrote:The image is still on my server: http://well-of-souls.com/gallery/images/juno_gift00.jpg

I also got the redirect error on Chrome, but not IE10.
thanks Arioch and Alex, both of the links work for me, I'm running IE 10 as well, but I tried with tablet and ipod and got similar results. its must be my internet providers may have a indy filter in it ( dang xbox is slower than usualy and I'm on the a wire link too . . . :roll:

but I'm going on track ( went to local air show, way too much to fun to be had). the gift picture is neat, 1 I haven't seen yet. thxs again

as for low light, most Doc's I've seen have the same, night or low level camera that are mostly in the green spectrum, or red afterward nightlight. most aviation display have a low light feather that allow night vision equipped pilots to see their instruments. the same could applied to what Arioch as shown use in the Chapter one, but without the need for goggles.

Question: not seen this question yet but do Loroi have similar night vision to humans or are their some differences ?

saint of m

Post by saint of m »

Assuming Jardin goes on a world with other life forms, how will the Loroli handle his microbes and vice versa.

I know you've covered this with how ships are sterile, but planets tend to not be.

My thinking is largely due to how Westerners conquered the America: They got really sick, spread their germs to a native population that wasn't used to it, and wiped them out. Granted, I think a scout ship would probably have much better health codes and it's crew better hygene then a bunch of pilgrims or conquistadors, but just in case.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Appropriate precautions will be taken.

It's worth pointing out that the conquistadors and the natives were both the same species; it's much harder for disease organisms to hop between species, and presumably even harder to cross the barrier to an alien biology.
NOMAD wrote:Question: not seen this question yet but do Loroi have similar night vision to humans or are their some differences ?
Similar.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Just to reinforce what Arioch said, it would be vanishingly unlikely for any microbes that would infect the Loroi (or its ecosystems) to have any effect on a human and vice versa. Billions of years of evolution would see to that.

CJSF

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

When if ever are we gonna get to know how to play Crossfire? :P
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

It's introduced in this chapter.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

crossfire, I missed something didn't I ?

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

i know how you feel im a recent addition to the forums so i feel like a chicken missing a head sometimes.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Apropos of nothing, I still think the first panel of page 40 is my favorite piece of art in the comic so far.

CJSF

P.S.
So image posting is disabled, maybe. Either way, you know which one I mean.
Last edited by cacambo43 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.