Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Jericho

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Jericho »

I don't know if i asked this before but do the Loroi have people equivalent of Tzun Tzu, Stalin, Vlad Tepes, Alexander the great, Genghis khan, Gandhi (just kidding)?
In terms of historical significance and reputation in Loroi society.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The Loroi are a warrior culture with a long history of internal strife, and who often idolize their military leaders (and which leaders can live for 400 years or more), so I think it goes without saying that there is a long list of legendary Loroi warlords that left their mark on Loroi history and culture.

Maybe not so much Gandhi, though.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

So with the presumable exception of the Historians, probably noone has conducted any long-range surveys that actually traveled to systems meaningfully beyond their own borders. Thanks, that's what I was wondering.
Arioch wrote:The Historians have been exploring the local bubble for a long time, presumably long before the other races were in a position to restrict them, and so presumably know a great deal more about the region (and the adjoining regions) than any other single group does.
I did consider just asking what the Historians know, but then I thought: "There's no way the Historians spouted out all of it, so why should Arioch?"
Arioch wrote:Image
That's a really good image, shows why various things (like the Nissek having other fish to fry, and Human space being strategic) are the way they are. And yikes, Earth is within "Imperial diameter" distances of each primary combatant.

Is it safe to assume that the Loroi aren't aware of any meaningful empires anti-spin of Earth?

What does the blue-purple area represent, a "Ninnil" empire?

I suppose the Historians have been characteristically mute on how far both they and the Umiak have penetrated into the Pleiades bubble?

Was the Periphery actually organized, or is it just easier to describe that way?

Do the combatants have any particular mythos about the Wasteland area? Such as "here there be dragons", or "oh look, another rock, are we there yet?"

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Absalom wrote:What does the blue-purple area represent, a "Ninnil" empire?
Yes.
Absalom wrote:Was the Periphery actually organized, or is it just easier to describe that way?
It's a group of independent nations. Though not so independent any more.
Absalom wrote:Do the combatants have any particular mythos about the Wasteland area? Such as "here there be dragons", or "oh look, another rock, are we there yet?"
It's a region of lower-than-normal star density and relatively few habitable systems (many are uninteresting low-metallicity Population II stars).

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

What's the Coalsack?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

fredgiblet wrote:What's the Coalsack?
It's a relatively dense dark nebula, mostly situated in the Crux (or Southern Cross) constellation as seen from Earth.
Basically, it blocks (most) starlight from those stars between it and the inner Milky Way from our point of view.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Arioch wrote:
Absalom wrote:Was the Periphery actually organized, or is it just easier to describe that way?
It's a group of independent nations. Though not so independent any more.
Should I take that to mean that they basically called themselves the Periphery, because it was faster than listing all of the component groups?
Arioch wrote:
Absalom wrote:Do the combatants have any particular mythos about the Wasteland area? Such as "here there be dragons", or "oh look, another rock, are we there yet?"
It's a region of lower-than-normal star density and relatively few habitable systems (many are uninteresting low-metallicity Population II stars).
So basically, "Oh look, another rock". I guess that Earth is in a fly-over part of the local bubble.

saint of m

Post by saint of m »

It seems most of the Loroli have mixed reactions to Alex, ranging from curious glances to death glares.

Overall, how do the crew view him, and their opinion of their "first Human Ambassador."

JQBogus

Post by JQBogus »

saint of m wrote:It seems most of the Loroli have mixed reactions to Alex, ranging from curious glances to death glares.

Overall, how do the crew view him, and their opinion of their "first Human Ambassador."
Most of the crew hasn't even seen him, let alone interacted with him enough to form an opinion.

I'd suspect the limit of most of the common crew's knowledge of him is scuttlebutt about his appearance originating with those who may have seen him while he was being moved (under guard) to or from the med bay, secure isolation, and his interview on the bridge. I would highly doubt that the bridge crew, Stillstorm, Tempo, Beryl, or Fireblade and her security team have been engaged in gossip about him with those outside 'need to know' circles.

Probably the only unseen person/persons that have been filled in on all things Alex are Beryl's back-up Listel. And her (their) existence is only an supposition on my part, based on the assumption that the Loroi would not put all the 'full bandwidth' information eggs about Alex/Humanity into one basket.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

I can see Beryl chattering unless (and possible even if) she was directly ordered not to. I expect she's so excited about having him onboard that she can barely keep her "mouth" shut.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

JQBogus wrote:Most of the crew hasn't even seen him, let alone interacted with him enough to form an opinion.
Don't forget there were also a number of Loroi on salvage duty at the Bellarmine. They've encountered, and recovered, 57 other bodies so I'm thinking the way humans look is quite known to the warriors of Strike Group 51.

JQBogus

Post by JQBogus »

GeoModder wrote:
JQBogus wrote:Most of the crew hasn't even seen him, let alone interacted with him enough to form an opinion.
Don't forget there were also a number of Loroi on salvage duty at the Bellarmine. They've encountered, and recovered, 57 other bodies so I'm thinking the way humans look is quite known to the warriors of Strike Group 51.

Tempest is listed as having a full complement of 800. I doubt even 1/10th of those would have been directly involved in the salvage effort. Most would have been kept at or near their combat stations since the ship was still in an unsecured system. Also, I interpreted the original question as referring specifically to Alex, rather than to humans in general.

As to Beryl's chattiness, she is a mid grade officer, and probably the senior Listel in an elite task force. Even as excited as she is, I think she'd restrain herself at least enough to keep her gossip within approved circles. Probably satisfying it while briefing her (theoretical) back-ups.

On a side note.... Are cross-caste friendships among the Loroi less common than in-caste one? How much more difficult are they to establish and maintain?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

JQBogus wrote:
GeoModder wrote:
JQBogus wrote:Tempest is listed as having a full complement of 800. I doubt even 1/10th of those would have been directly involved in the salvage effort. Most would have been kept at or near their combat stations since the ship was still in an unsecured system. Also, I interpreted the original question as referring specifically to Alex, rather than to humans in general.
Fair enough.
But most of those who've seen Alex do have the capability to 'telesent' a picture of him to all their buddies.

junk

Post by junk »

Arioch wrote:
Absalom wrote:Arioch, a question in the Umiak thread got me to wondering: how large of a region do the archeological studies that the Loroi, Nissek, Historians, and Umiak know of cover? Is it just their zones of influence + a small border (or large border, in areas where they're in contact with another race that will allow them passage)?
Each side has information about their own territory, plus any territory they have been allowed to enter (or someone they had contact with was allowed to enter). The Umiak know a lot more about Loroi territory than vice versa; although Umiak traders were never allowed into the interior Loroi territory, the Loroi didn't restrict their own peoples' internal movement the way the Umiak did. For example, a Barsam trader at Ukko could tell the Umiak a great deal about the internal layout of the Union, but a Tanuki trader at the same port didn't know much about Umiak territory beyond the Tanuki's own borders. The Loroi don't know much about the region of The Periphery (where the Orgus came from), other than that it exists.

The Historians have been exploring the local bubble for a long time, presumably long before the other races were in a position to restrict them, and so presumably know a great deal more about the region (and the adjoining regions) than any other single group does.

So does that mean that the historians might potentially know the location of SOL or even of a sapient, simian species?

Murica

Post by Murica »

How advanced are the loroi on things such as entertainment ?do they have there own versions of things such as Shakespeare? Beethoven ? The muppts?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Absalom wrote: Should I take that to mean that they basically called themselves the Periphery, because it was faster than listing all of the component groups?
I think it's more of a case of the guy who made the map thought it was faster than listing all of the component groups.
saint of m wrote:Overall, how do the crew view him, and their opinion of their "first Human Ambassador."
I try to avoid answering questions like "what does X character really think about Y?" as that's something that should be revealed through the story.
JQBogus wrote:On a side note.... Are cross-caste friendships among the Loroi less common than in-caste one? How much more difficult are they to establish and maintain?
Most of a Loroi warrior's childhood friends and current peers will be of the same caste, but there are always opportunities to develop strong friendships with members of other castes (or, dare I say, other species), if the opportunity presents itself.
junk wrote:So does that mean that the historians might potentially know the location of SOL or even of a sapient, simian species?
I presume that's a rhetorical question.... :D
Murica wrote:How advanced are the loroi on things such as entertainment ?do they have there own versions of things such as Shakespeare? Beethoven ? The muppts?
Entertainment is not a high priority for the Loroi, as they are not a media culture. Few Loroi consider writing to be art, and they have a shaky hold on the idea of fiction, so Shakespeare is out. There is not much call for children's entertainment (as the children are out shivering in a tent somewhere trying to prove that they're warrior material), so Muppets are out. They no doubt have noted musical performers, however.

Beliskner

Post by Beliskner »

I wonder how much umiak and loroi know about our and neighborhood galaxies. Considering our progress nowdays can we assume that humans in 2156 have formidable knowledge about galaxy(star systems patterns, laws and phenomenons) ?

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

I doubt that our knowledge is greatly advanced in that manner. We already know a great deal about the galaxy just from here, there's not a whole lot to be gained by moving a few light-years in any direction I suspect.

Beliskner

Post by Beliskner »

Yea I understand that but "touching" something physically gives more. But I wounder would Loroi or umiak would be interested in such... exploration. Both species are Soia-Liron civilizations which use tech and knowledge of Soia. Said, In my opinion both races would be bad at creating something new so forming new theories would be painful as well.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

fredgiblet wrote:..., there's not a whole lot to be gained by moving a few light-years in any direction I suspect.
Actually, there is.
Astrometric postions of whole star catalogues would become so much more precise if the same stars were observed from a couple lightyears away from Sol. Velocity, distance, size, age,... it all connects, and with a wider observation angle, your information gets that much better.