Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Arioch »

orion1836 wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:48 pm
Would a more reasonable strategy be for a lone ship to hang back during a massed counteroffensive, then break away and make a run for the jump zone when the opportunity presented itself?
In a situation like this in which the enemy may not have secure control of the system, you may be able to get past enemy forces; it depends on the specific tactical situation. The gamble is that while you can assess the situation in the current system, you can't know what the situation is in the destination system.

kfcroc18

Post by kfcroc18 »

Arioch wrote:
kfcroc18 wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:13 pm
Do the Loroi have any organized professional sports like Baseball and Football?
Yes, but the "professional" players are civilians, and in many cases they're less popular than military academy teams. I believe that American football was like this in its early days; college teams were very popular, but the early pro leagues were considered kind of a joke.
So, what kind of sports are played?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

kfcroc18 wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:43 am
There would be a wide variety across different worlds: various types of racing and individual athletic competitions, unarmed wrestling and fighting, field team sports similar to soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, baseball or cricket (with or without full contact). Icekatze hypothesized a sort of windsurfing water polo that looked fun. :D

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:43 am
kfcroc18 wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:43 am
There would be a wide variety across different worlds: various types of racing and individual athletic competitions, unarmed wrestling and fighting, field team sports similar to soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, baseball or cricket (with or without full contact). Icekatze hypothesized a sort of windsurfing water polo that looked fun. :D
Could also potentially do zero g sports.

A cylinder or disc shaped room would be perfect for zero g soccer, dodgeball, or basketball.

In all cases PPE is required.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

I wonder how the Loroi would respond to the wonderful, abusive game of Grifball!

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

Calvinball or nothing. Adapt to the every changing rules as you make them.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Ithekro wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:50 pm
Or Fizzbin.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

People here do miss the intricacies of golf! :P

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

Arioch wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:02 pm
Ithekro wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:50 pm
Or Fizzbin.
Only on Tuesday.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Snoofman wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:34 pm
I wonder how the Loroi would respond to the wonderful, abusive game of Grifball!
Grif would just get kicked in the nuts more often than he already does.

Golf would be interesting among Mizol and Teidar. The latter could drive across courses and the former would never miss a putt.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

How about Blood Bowl?

I mean they already have duels, so why not make it into entertainment? :twisted:

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

orion1836 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:37 pm
Snoofman wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:34 pm
Grif would just get kicked in the nuts more often than he already does.

Golf would be interesting among Mizol and Teidar. The latter could drive across courses and the former would never miss a putt.
Protect me cone :!:

jterlecki

Post by jterlecki »

Is there any Loroi fauna that bears an uncanny resemblance to Terran fauna in the same manner the Loroi vs Humans is a case of Blue vs Pink (I know there is a lot more than just skin colour)?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

The blue-spotted sabertooth!

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

I'd laugh if the Soia picked up something ridiculous like the platypus to copy.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

jterlecki wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:17 am
Is there any Loroi fauna that bears an uncanny resemblance to Terran fauna in the same manner the Loroi vs Humans is a case of Blue vs Pink (I know there is a lot more than just skin colour)?
Not that anyone knows of.

Werra

Post by Werra »

That's asking a bit much before first contact, innit?

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Are the Loroi or other races known for during this....or was this more Soia kind of stuff?

Because the video shows WE could do it, it would only take about a millenium or so....and a lot more .cooperation than known goverments are capable of.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Bamax wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:54 pm
Are the Loroi or other races known for during this....or was this more Soia kind of stuff?

Because the video shows WE could do it, it would only take about a millenium or so....and a lot more .cooperation than known goverments are capable of.
Yeah, just watched that earlier. I enjoy the Kurzgesagt videos for their style, even when they're completely full of shit, as in this case.

Starting up terraforming projects that take tens of thousands of years and orders of magnitude more energy than is produced on the entire Earth is not something that is normally considered doable. They start by saying that what is limiting us is the unwillingness to begin a project that will take longer than a human lifetime, and then they lay out the concept for a project that will take longer than the civilization's lifetime.

Oh, and by the way, once the project is finished, it's not self-sustaining. If the system of mirrors that is maintaining the temperature has any kind of problems, Venus will revert right back to being a hellhole. The fact that it's almost tidelocked to the Sun (and will only get more so over time) means that it's just too close to the Sun to ever be habitable. Even Soia-level technology terraformers would not waste their time on such a project.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:16 am
Bamax wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:54 pm

Yeah, just watched that earlier. I enjoy the Kurzgesagt videos for their style, even when they're completely full of shit, as in this case.

Starting up terraforming projects that take tens of thousands of years and orders of magnitude more energy than is produced on the entire Earth is not something that is normally considered doable. They start by saying that what is limiting us is the unwillingness to begin a project that will take longer than a human lifetime, and then they lay out the concept for a project that will take longer than the civilization's lifetime.

Oh, and by the way, once the project is finished, it's not self-sustaining. If the system of mirrors that is maintaining the temperature has any kind of problems, Venus will revert right back to being a hellhole. The fact that it's almost tidelocked to the Sun (and will only get more so over time) means that it's just too close to the Sun to ever be habitable. Even Soia-level technology terraformers would not waste their time on such a project.

LOL. Did not expect such a frank response!

Well...it raised my hopes for a millisecond anyway.

I guess if you are willing to terraform Venus you either don't mind the work or you have few other options in range (that's us without FTL).

Yeah both the Loroi and Soia might get a good chuckle out of a terraformed Venus that relies on mirrors, but you have to admire the ingeniuity if nothing else....even if the idea itself looks as if it would need regular maintence to keep it alive at all.

New question:

Given how Loroi don't touch each one another except close friends or males during sex because of the whole deep mind meld telepathy thing...it had me thinking.

They are missing out on stuff we take for granted!

Do Loroi even have massage parlors? Likely males give the massages as an add-on part of their main job?

I say this because I don't think Loro get to enjoy massages much if at all.

That's one more thing humans can offer! Non-sexual massages!

I have rarely received them, but watching youtube I can tell you that women do fine, but men with their added strength and man-hands can give really deep massages that are better than all but the most skilled females it seems.

I have had both, and the only female that could match man-hands was Asian, not because of strength but technique because she knew stuff that likely showed experience. Very relaxing. Used strange stuff like her hair and feet to tickle but it felt good.

Whereas the guys hands were so burly that was enough to make me want to fall asleep right there.

Massages do not have to be....you know what.

They can be purely relaxing, and I doubt Loroi really experience that much if ever.

Do they?