Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

MBehave

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by MBehave »

Antimatter plasma its an entire field of research.
positron plasmas(which have been created) would be extremely disruptive to EM fields such as shields...

To be put it accurately, it would totally fuck up any and all EM emitting devices that it contacts with.

Bamax wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:45 pm
Cthulhu wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:38 pm
1. Could the plasma cannons or even the blasters theoretically fire antimatter instead? Wouldn't that increase the damage output, or would that be outside of the combatant's current tech levels?

2. Looking at the size chart above, are those average values for the species shown there? What about the max height for Loroi or the Barsam?

Also, even if the Loroi guys are too short to be taken seriously, at least some of them can overcome this disadvantage by hovering ominously. :shock:
[/quote

Me talking:

LOL... do you know how overpowered AM is? Even a gram's worth (a thousandth of a kilogram) is enough to dwarf nuclear blast power by a magnitude.

I think you don't mean hand weapins, but ship ones.

Loroi use type A fuel... same power density as AM, less troublesome to handle.

But putting it in a hot plasma beam? That's chaos.

A particle beam of type A could work maybe, but it would be easy to detonate via lasers at long range
And long range fire is all Loroi do all day everyday.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Cthulhu wrote:
1. Could the plasma cannons or even the blasters theoretically fire antimatter instead? Wouldn't that increase the damage output, or would that be outside of the combatant's current tech levels?
In addition to being very expensive to create, anitmatter is extremely hard work with safely. Even though they use magnetic fields to concentrate and direct the plasma anyway, keeping the firing aperture completely free from trace gases and keeping the plasma from ever touching the mechanism as it is fired would be, I think, very difficult. The plasma beam would also interact with trace gases (even "empty" space can have about 1 atom per cubic cm) which I think would cause the beam to diverge faster.

It's kind of like in Game of Thrones, when Bronn points out the folly of using Wildfire as catapult ammunition: at some point in the heat of battle, someone is going to drop a container, destroying the launcher and setting a fire inside the fortress that can't be extinguished. Much better to use it in a less hazardous way.

I think that some of the combatants keep some antimatter for use in planet bombs, which are simpler than taimat combs in that they don't need a trigger; they'll go off even if they are intercepted. But there's not a ton of planet bombing going on at the current time.
Cthulhu wrote:
2. Looking at the size chart above, are those average values for the species shown there? What about the max height for Loroi or the Barsam?
Yes, those are average values, including for Alex (though he should be 175cm), except that the average for a Loroi male is 140-145cm, rarely more than 150cm as young adults. Both genders continue to grow slightly as they age, so the older individuals we will see in the comic are toward the top end of 150cm. Also, the Neridi's head should be bigger than it's shown here. (need to redo this thing...)

Maximums and minimums don't tell you much, since there can be huge deviations at the extreme ends of the bell curve, just as with humans.
Cthulhu wrote:
Also, even if the Loroi guys are too short to be taken seriously, at least some of them can overcome this disadvantage by hovering ominously. :shock:
Fair point.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:24 pm
In addition to being very expensive to create, anitmatter is extremely hard work with safely. Even though they use magnetic fields to concentrate and direct the plasma anyway, keeping the firing aperture completely free from trace gases and keeping the plasma from ever touching the mechanism as it is fired would be, I think, very difficult. The plasma beam would also interact with trace gases (even "empty" space can have about 1 atom per cubic cm) which I think would cause the beam to diverge faster.
Hmm, I assumed that the "carrier wave", which would travel at light speed and thus ahead of the sub-light shot, could push such traces aside?
Arioch wrote:
It's kind of like in Game of Thrones, when Bronn points out the folly of using Wildfire as catapult ammunition: at some point in the heat of battle, someone is going to drop a container, destroying the launcher and setting a fire inside the fortress that can't be extinguished. Much better to use it in a less hazardous way.

I think that some of the combatants keep some antimatter for use in planet bombs, which are simpler than taimat combs in that they don't need a trigger; they'll go off even if they are intercepted. But there's not a ton of planet bombing going on at the current time.
Yes, this would significantly increase the ship's chances of foundering after taking even a few shots, just enough to shake up the weapon mount.
In order to circumvent this, the gun would need to generate the antimatter right before the shot. Maybe even inside a magnetic bottle of sorts. But I guess that would be too advanced for this tech level, or even efficient enough if it were possible.

Another question, what does secondary power mean. Is that a reserve reactor, batteries, or something else? How much power compared to the main reactors can this provide and for how long?

Also, can a ship dump its taimat fuel or parts of it in case of an imminent containment breach? Similar to how Enterprise or Voyager dropped their warp cores whenever the plot demanded it.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Cthulhu wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:47 pm
Arioch wrote:
Hmm, I assumed that the "carrier wave", which would travel at light speed and thus ahead of the sub-light shot, could push such traces aside?
Only if the particles were ionized; otherwise a magnetic field wouldn't affect them.[/quote]
Cthulhu wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:47 pm
Arioch wrote:
Yes, this would significantly increase the ship's chances of foundering after taking even a few shots, just enough to shake up the weapon mount.
In order to circumvent this, the gun would need to generate the antimatter right before the shot. Maybe even inside a magnetic bottle of sorts. But I guess that would be too advanced for this tech level, or even efficient enough if it were possible.
Creating it on demand is a possibility; I don't know a great deal about antimatter manufacture except that I think it takes a gigantic linear accelerator and a terrific amount of energy. But even if it's created on demand, you still have the problem of any leak being catastrophic. You might be able to store it safely in a magnetic bottle, but the moment you start forcing it though a mechanism and squirting it out of an aperture, it seems to me that a leak is just too likely. Since any leak or failure (or damage) will cause an explosion that will take out the ship, that doesn't seem like an acceptable risk.
Cthulhu wrote:
Another question, what does secondary power mean. Is that a reserve reactor, batteries, or something else? How much power compared to the main reactors can this provide and for how long?
Auxiliary or secondary power refers to auxiliary reactors. How much power they provide depends on the ship design, but normally it's enough to run life support, the computer systems, maneuvering thrusters and some sensors. Most starships have large battery arrays connected to the jump generators, and most hook these into the deflectors so that they have an interrupted source of power. It depends on the design, but a full battery charge is enough to fire a few salvoes of the main weapons, or run the engines for a few minutes.
Cthulhu wrote:
Also, can a ship dump its taimat fuel or parts of it in case of an imminent containment breach? Similar to how Enterprise or Voyager dropped their warp cores whenever the plot demanded it.
Yeah, most ships can dump fuel. This can be dangerous, as some of the taimat will decay as it boils off (which is part of the reason by the Loroi put their engines out away from the crewed parts of the ship). Some Umiak vessels don't have this capability, because some Umiak engineer was min-maxing his design to get that obsessive-compulsive endorphine high.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:08 pm
Some Umiak vessels don't have this capability, because some Umiak engineer was min-maxing his design to get that obsessive-compulsive endorphine high.
... my playthroughs of MoO2, GalCiv, screw it, every 4X game ever feel specifically called out by this remark. :lol:

Never give me the option to design ships. No really, please don't. So much time... wasted.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Cthulhu wrote:

Like Flagg: "WORSHIP ME!!!!!!"
Last edited by Snoofman on Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Snoofman wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:35 am
Cthulhu wrote:

"WORSHIP ME!!!!!!"
Shouldn't do that with a low-level Teidar or Mizol. Before he knows it, his ears extend a bit further of his head then intended. :D

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

1. I haven't been able to find any information on population numbers of the Union or the "6 Worlds of Humanity", only the pre-unification data for the sister worlds. Do you have some info on that, maybe some estimates? Or is that classified for plot reasons?

2. Wouldn't it be more efficient for the food production to grow some genetically-engineered single-cellular organisms in vats? Dreiman yeasts, algae, etc. Then process the biomass into food paste, which could be used in 3D printers to create a facsimile of traditional food? Such a method of food production is quite widespread in science fiction. Even earlier versions of the replicators in Star Trek were supposedly only able to rearrange molecules and thus required such biomass.
Or do the Umiak already produce their food that way?
Would Loroi rather die than eat that, or maybe murder anyone who even dared to suggest such a vile thing?

Snoofman wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:35 am
"WORSHIP ME!!!!!!"
Loroi female: That's my fetish!

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Regarding food production: a genetically engineered plant has multiple uses:
feeding
terraforming

And it uses less ressources than a vat, which needs to be thermically controlled, fed, ...

And it provides for survival in the wild, in the case of a galactic-wide fall of the Empires.....

Yes, vat-grown will be a future for extreme densely populated planets.
But for young colonies?

We can discuss this, but if you have Soia-Liron designed farmable plants, I think you're easy off for growth of your planetary population.
The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story! Late backing possible, more info soon.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Cthulhu wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:46 pm
1. I haven't been able to find any information on population numbers of the Union or the "6 Worlds of Humanity", only the pre-unification data for the sister worlds. Do you have some info on that, maybe some estimates? Or is that classified for plot reasons?
Regarding Humanity's Six Worlds, its in this forum digest. It boils down to a bit less then 200 million on the colony worlds, and 99% of Humanity still living on Earth. So Earth's population is close to 20 billion.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Cthulhu wrote:
The Terran article does give populations for the 5 human colony worlds. I removed the population figure for Earth because I got tired of arguing with people about it, and it's irrelevant to the story.

I also didn't post population figures for the Loroi worlds for similar reasons; the Union has something like a hundred inhabited worlds, and I don't have them all worked out to a degree where I can confidently say what populations are. Maybe sometime in the future this will change.
Cthulhu wrote:
2. Wouldn't it be more efficient for the food production to grow some genetically-engineered single-cellular organisms in vats? Dreiman yeasts, algae, etc. Then process the biomass into food paste, which could be used in 3D printers to create a facsimile of traditional food? Such a method of food production is quite widespread in science fiction. Even earlier versions of the replicators in Star Trek were supposedly only able to rearrange molecules and thus required such biomass.
Or do the Umiak already produce their food that way?
Would Loroi rather die than eat that, or maybe murder anyone who even dared to suggest such a vile thing?
Seems like an unnecessary complication.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

I understand the Loroi males at least invest their time in studies such as the Loroi equivalent of the humanities, but what about the Loroi warriors? No doubt they are taught at Academies how to be the best warriors and, depending on their caste, how to govern. But are they taught moral codes and ethics? However similar or different they may be from humanity morals.

In fact, are there any Loroi legends or historical figures about Loroi lawgivers. Like the Loroi equivalent of Moses passing down the Ten Commandments?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:06 am
I understand the Loroi males at least invest their time in studies such as the Loroi equivalent of the humanities, but what about the Loroi warriors? No doubt they are taught at Academies how to be the best warriors and, depending on their caste, how to govern. But are they taught moral codes and ethics? However similar or different they may be from humanity morals.

In fact, are there any Loroi legends or historical figures about Loroi lawgivers. Like the Loroi equivalent of Moses passing down the Ten Commandments?
Of course.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

How do Loroi spaceships reach space after they are built on sister world shipyards on the planet's surface?

Are boosted 2-stage like spacex (the second stage being the actual super efficient Loroi ship) with reusable boosters?

Or do Loroi ships dial back their engine efficiency to reduce 'cancer boat' radiation in favor of extra propellant exhaust at lower tempertures for thrust like an SSTO?

They certainly look likev SSTO's. All ships really.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The shipyards aren't on the surface, they're in orbit.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:27 am
The shipyards aren't on the surface, they're in orbit.

Hmmm.... my mind is full of reasons why that is... non-optimal considering the Umiak vs Loroi space war situation. Besides supply and demand.

Scifi involves mixing IRL and fiction.

An orbital shipyard must be:

1. Not in LEO because air friction would require regular reboosts just like the ISS to maintain low earth orbit. Needs a high orbit, at least higher than the ISS orbit to avoid atmosphere friction slowing orbit into reentry.

2. If you have an orbital shipyard literally MAKING fleets of starships that means at some point the shipyard was boosted to orbit with either reusuable or disposable boosters. At least the first ones did, unless they used SSTOs instead.

3. Where does the shipyard get spaceship building materials? The planet below? I presume SSTO shuttles or reusuable two stage boosters ferry supplies back and forth? My point being that rockets... whether SSTO's or 2-stage boosters MUST enter the equation for the Loroi despite them being scifi... because they use rocketry... fancy but it's still rocketry. A general known thing about rocketry is that 2-stage rocketry will get more than SSTO to orbit per ton, simply because iy sheds weight on the. way up and sn SSTO cannot shed the weight a two-stage can and still carry a meaningful cargo/payload. The first stage on a two stage is literally a giant tank of propellant fitted to a rocket engine. Does not matter how advanced a rocket is, if tech levels are equalized for both a two-stage and an SSTO the two-stage will lift more payload because it can afford more cargo space than the SSTO. Really the only way an SSTO can match a 2-stage for payload is if it cancels out gravity's pull and can float, thus allowing minimal fuel use as it relies on minimal boosting and mostly inertia to fly up into space. Also if it did not use propellant or was seemingly reactionless... like a gravity drive... THAT could compete with 2-stage and make 2-stage obsoletem

4. The main advantage to an orbital dry dock/shipyard is that you can repair ships in orbit without landing, and the artificial gravity is also a real advantage with repairs. You can also ship in solar resources from space easier to an orbital station than landing it on a planet.

5. The risk is that orbit is literally the worst place to be if war comes. It"s a merry go round of 8 kilometers per sec, only with swarms of 300g torpedoes and high sublight likely near lightspead plasma beams.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

I reckon that an orbital shipyard receives the necessary materials from the planet it orbits through a space elevator, and/or industrial/processing facilities at airless moons of said planet.
For example, the Barsam have the Agumo at their colony world Armis. Loroi battlestations/citadels have been mentioned as capable of accelerating up to 5g. So I don't think an orbital shipyard isn't capable of doing the same.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

As Elon Musk is fond of saying, you can't have a spacefaring civilization if you don't have cheap transport to orbit. You're not going to be using conventional chemical rockets on orbital shuttles at TL10. Unless you have efficient thrusters or antigravity or something like that, you simply can't have space infrastructure and starships on the scale of Star Trek or Star Wars or Outsider. Trying to implement 2160 infrastructure with 2021 technology is not going to get you there.

And if you can't assemble things in orbit, then your ships and stations will be limited to whatever the maximum size and mass your best booster can lift. Our current space stations were assembled in orbit, not lifted from the surface in one piece.

Prior to the new JJ Abrams movies, both Star Trek and Star Wars assumed that all starships and space infrastructure were built in orbital shipyards. The reason is kind of obvious... they have spacedocks and command ships that are literally tens of kilometers long. Either you would have to add atmosphere-safe engines and reinforce the hull to withstand atmospheric stresses -- which would take away a lot of mass that could be used for more space-based capability -- or you would have to build a booster which is probably larger and more expensive than your incredibly expensive starship.

The only way it makes sense to build starships on the ground is if you have antigravity technology. The new Star Wars and Star Trek movies seem to assume that some kind of antigravity exists, because they showed the Enterprise being built on the ground, and Star Destroyers hovering just a few hundred meters above cities. This looks super cool and I wouldn't have any problem with it except that it's complete bullshit in the established canon of both franchises. But it's pretty obvious that the people making these movies don't give a damn about worldbuilding, so there's not much point in even talking about it.

I thought about adding some kind of antigrav technology to Outsider, 'cause those shots of starships in atmosphere or floating in a water dock like in the Yamato series do look super cool. I decided against it because I think it sets a technology bar that's much higher than what has been established for the setting. If you care about consistent worldbuilding, then every time to add an ultra-tech capability, you really have to think through all the different ways that new technology would affect everything in your universe. Antigrav would be an incredibly disruptive technology, so I left it off the list.

The Loroi at TL10+ have very efficient atmospheric shuttle engines, and on a few major production centers they have built orbital elevators. The main drives used in vacuum on starships and small craft alike would incinerate the atmosphere of a planet (and probably the spacecraft along with it) and shower the ground with hard radiation, so those craft that need to operate in both atmosphere and vacuum (like the Highland shuttle) have separate drives for vacuum and atmosphere. But building military starships that way just isn't practical; you'd have a hard limit on the maximum size of the craft, and it would sacrifice a lot of its mass for capability that it's rarely going to use.

And it doesn't matter whether the shuttle is SSTO or uses a booster, as long as both parts are reusable (as SpaceX's Starship aims to be).

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

Arioch wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:22 am
The only way it makes sense to build starships on the ground is if you have antigravity technology. The new Star Wars and Star Trek movies seem to assume that some kind of antigravity exists, because they showed the Enterprise being built on the ground, and Star Destroyers fighting in atmosphere and hovering above cities. This looks super cool and I wouldn't have any problem with it except that it's complete bullshit in the established canon of both franchises. But it's pretty obvious that the people making these movies don't give a damn about worldbuilding, so there's not much point in even talking about it.
Star Wars does have a sort of antigravity in the form of repulsorlift, a technology that seems so widespread it's used even for animal-drawn carts; meaning it's apparently cheaper than motors. It's introduced with Luke's landspeeder right in A New Hope. It's also available in forms small enough to fit in a speeder bike, to large enough to lift large things like Jabba's sailbarge. All the starfighters are equipped with it so as to do their landing and take off maneuvers. However, they do have the weakness that they cannot operate through deflector shields, allowing for the plot point of the attacker needing to disable the shields first before they can send in the main invasion force. Or, in the prequel, the gungans using portable shield generators to hinder the trade federation war machines.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:22 am
As Elon Musk is fond of saying, you can't have a spacefaring civilization if you don't have cheap transport to orbit. You're not going to be using conventional chemical rockets on orbital shuttles at TL10. Unless you have efficient thrusters or antigravity or something like that, you simply can't have space infrastructure and starships on the scale of Star Trek or Star Wars or Outsider. Trying to implement 2160 infrastructure with 2021 technology is not going to get you there.

And if you can't assemble things in orbit, then your ships and stations will be limited to whatever the maximum size and mass your best booster can lift. Our current space stations were assembled in orbit, not lifted from the surface in one piece.

Prior to the new JJ Abrams movies, both Star Trek and Star Wars assumed that all starships and space infrastructure were built in orbital shipyards. The reason is kind of obvious... they have spacedocks and command ships that are literally tens of kilometers long. Either you would have to add atmosphere-safe engines and reinforce the hull to withstand atmospheric stresses -- which would take away a lot of mass that could be used for more space-based capability -- or you would have to build a booster which is probably larger and more expensive than your incredibly expensive starship.

The only way it makes sense to build starships on the ground is if you have antigravity technology. The new Star Wars and Star Trek movies seem to assume that some kind of antigravity exists, because they showed the Enterprise being built on the ground, and Star Destroyers hovering just a few hundred meters above cities. This looks super cool and I wouldn't have any problem with it except that it's complete bullshit in the established canon of both franchises. But it's pretty obvious that the people making these movies don't give a damn about worldbuilding, so there's not much point in even talking about it.

I thought about adding some kind of antigrav technology to Outsider, 'cause those shots of starships in atmosphere or floating in a water dock like in the Yamato series do look super cool. I decided against it because I think it sets a technology bar that's much higher than what has been established for the setting. If you care about consistent worldbuilding, then every time to add an ultra-tech capability, you really have to think through all the different ways that new technology would affect everything in your universe. Antigrav would be an incredibly disruptive technology, so I left it off the list.

The Loroi at TL10+ have very efficient atmospheric shuttle engines, and on a few major production centers they have built orbital elevators. The main drives used in vacuum on starships and small craft alike would incinerate the atmosphere of a planet (and probably the spacecraft along with it) and shower the ground with hard radiation, so those craft that need to operate in both atmosphere and vacuum (like the Highland shuttle) have separate drives for vacuum and atmosphere. But building military starships that way just isn't practical; you'd have a hard limit on the maximum size of the craft, and it would sacrifice a lot of its mass for capability that it's rarely going to use.

And it doesn't matter whether the shuttle is SSTO or uses a booster, as long as both parts are reusable (as SpaceX's Starship aims to be).

Fleets of SSTO shuttle and the occasional space elevator eh?

Regarding gravity manipulation or antigravity the game changes do not have to be ridiculous.

For example, I thought of a simple gravity scifi drive augmented with auxillary rocket engines:

CGI (Converted Gravimetric Impulse) drive: Converts gravity into an impulsive propelling force in any sigle direction you want ship to go. Max acceleration is equal to local gravity field strength of planet you are on or near.

Neutral. When not accelerating your ship will float and be weightless inside even on a 1g planet.

Impulse: You can do full impulse (max acceleration based on local gravity strength) or accelerate slower or less than local gravity field strength.

Manuevers: Ship can accelerate up, down, sideways,backwards, forwards, pitch, yaw, and roll. All without RCS simply by using the CGI drive field. It saves RCS for times ship is too far away for gravity field strength to offer decent acceleration.

Keeping it from being overpowered: The charger for a CGI field obtains a second of thrust for every TON of charger.

Which means: 3000 ton chargers are common, shuttles and missiles do not use CGI, only big vessels. Auxillary rocket engines are nothing special, but useful for visiting deep space stuff with low or no gravity field of worth... since the impulse provided would be too weak. Obviously planet gravities are used to set up destination trajectories and speeds, and warp drives carry ships quickly between them.

Limits: You can toggle CGI field on and off, but it will deplete during use, the charge, so after 3000 seconds of thrust you need 3000 seconds of recharge from gravity (50 min). Remember local gravity decidess what max impulse is. Earth gives a respectable 1g (on par with a torchdrive). The moon, if you warped to it,would provide lower max impulse. In deep space sun gravity is really low so the CGI won't help you much, just rocketry will.

Analysis: While the Loroi drives are waaay faster, the main advantage my CGI drive gives is such a civilization could put more mass in orbit with such ease unparralled by rocketsand space elevators.

For fast space travel I use variations of warp/jump drives anyway.