Loroi Trade translation request general

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Snoofman

Re: Loroi Trade translation request general

Post by Snoofman »

Evil.

*While you're translating, do Loroi have a concept of good and evil? Or was that introduced by, oh say, the Barsam?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 4:25 am
Evil.

*While you're translating, do Loroi have a concept of good and evil? Or was that introduced by, oh say, the Barsam?
ronnot - malign, hostile
lilared - wrong, improper

Loroi culture believes in good and evil in the sense of right and wrong, and that people can act out of a sense of benevolence or with malign intent. However, their philosophy lacks a divine or supernatural framework for good and evil, or a personification of evil or an underworld. The Loroi evil is to fail in one's duty, and the Loroi hell is to be forgotten.

The Barsam religion does have a supernatural framework for good and evil, good being the will of benevolent divine beings (the Gatherers), though in their model evil is the absence of good, in the way that darkness is the absence of light, and their hell is to be denied entrance to heaven and trapped in the mortal world. They also lack a personification of evil, but some sects do believe in mortal agents who actively work against the will of the Gatherers; this concept is not popular among Loroi, not least of which because it's typically Loroi who are described in this capacity.

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

Arioch wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:58 am
Snoofman wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:43 am
Pub or bar
A tavern or restaurant is a lozanir. Such places generally do not serve intoxicating substances, as taking drugs in public is not considered socially acceptable. Those places that do provide drugs would be more illicit like opium dens.
Well, shore leave on any Loroi world won't be very fun without bars serving alcohol. Lotta Marines and Sailors will be plenty disappointed.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Social mores aside, humans walking into an alien restaurant can't even assume that the local food will be safe to consume, much less that any alien drugs would have the expected effect on humans.

If humans become regular customers, then presumably entrepeneurial alien restauranteurs will offer menus specifically for humans. (Though depending on the situation they may decide that serving alcohol to human servicemen may be more trouble than it's worth.)

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

The Space elves have a high and mighty opinion of themselves, but do they see any of the other races in the same way we see "Florida Man?" If Not, are Humans the Florida Man?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The Loroi as a group have very little interest in what the other races get up to.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

But do they stereotype any species, nationality, ethnic group, etc. as the butt of jokes ① at all ② in a similar fashion to Florida Man?
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I had never heard of the "Florida Man" meme prior to it being mentioned in this thread, so I'm not well qualifed to comment on that specifically. I think that in general, trying to attach alien humor to specific modern internet memes would be perhaps... uninspired.

The sorts of stereotypes applied to the various ethnic and racial groups are probably rather obvious. I started a list, but I think I'll have to consider it more carefully.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

I would think that the Loroi would have some rather sardonic opinions about the Golim, at least.

Urist

Post by Urist »

Hiya!

Translation request: What would the Trade word be for:

1) "Security." As in the job description/category, if different from the concept as a whole.

2) "Conquest"

Thanks!
Barrai Arrir

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Urist wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 11:23 pm
1) "Security." As in the job description/category, if different from the concept as a whole.

2) "Conquest"
taren - safety, security
deliila/delíla - to conquer

(used as a noun "conquering" would be deliilad)