WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

TrashMan

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by TrashMan »

Looks like Alex is actually a TACTICAL GENIUS

insert his picture here:

discord

Post by discord »

'tactical genius' is more about simple leadership and getting your men in high spirits, that makes what you have more effective, after that it is a matter of logistics(keeping fore mentioned men with full stomachs and fully loaded guns.) after THAT it's about out maneuvering your enemy.

so, charisma, bean counter, combat psychologist and tactics are the prerequisites for the 'tactical genius' talent.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

TrashMan wrote:Looks like Alex is actually a TACTICAL GENIUS

insert his picture here:
Tactical GENIUSES. So there´s Montgomery as negative example? :mrgreen:
sapere aude.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Trantor wrote: Tactical GENIUSES. So there´s Montgomery as negative example?
Yeah, I got a chuckle out of seeing Monty right there in the middle. No doubt a British author.

Though, even more ironic that Mr. "Goodenough" writes about genius.

Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

Arioch wrote:
Mikk wrote: Any recommended readings to spin down from a hypothetical future Ender fix? I only ask since I can remember hearing the sequels being crap.
The sequels were crap.
The sequels following Ender were just plain bizarre. The one I've read from the other "branch" of sequels dealing with Bean, etc, seemed considerably better, but I've only read one (can't remember the title, Ender's Shadow maybe), and don't know if the others got as badly derailed as the books following Ender.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Arioch wrote:
Trantor wrote: Tactical GENIUSES. So there´s Montgomery as negative example?
Yeah, I got a chuckle out of seeing Monty right there in the middle. No doubt a British author.
Ah, to be fair, at least a little bit: He wasn´t that bad on logistics, and he was on the winning side after all.
;)
Some also call him a coward, but with Rommel as an opponent i can´t blame him for attacking in superior numbers only.
And the only thing he really f*cked up was Market Garden. Thinking "Ah the weather will be all fine" for crucial operations like dropping paratroopers just in time is plain stupid. Also thinking "Germans are suckers, we will cut trough them like nothing" was also quite careless. He should have known about the numbers of king tigers and elite soldiers in that area.
Lucky him, he had the US Army as backup. :D

Arioch wrote:Though, even more ironic that Mr. "Goodenough" writes about genius.
Haha - only now i see it! That´s not real, that must be an alias. :mrgreen:

But maybe that book is still worth reading if the chapters about Leonidas and Wallenberg are ok. Wallenberg (third row far left) e.g. was also known as usually being defensive and good at logistics like Montgomery, but in contrast to the latter he grasped opportunities when he saw them, e.g. his rush through the swamps at Wolgast where his troops caught danish king Christians troops by surprise and clobbered them to pulp within minutes.

Edit: Is that Frederick the Great (3rd row, #4)? Hm, tactics? Either the author confuses tactics with strategy, or this book is about development of tactics over the centuries. (Frederick didn´t quite suck at tactics, but his luck was bigger than his skills.)
sapere aude.

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

Arioch wrote:Though, even more ironic that Mr. "Goodenough" writes about genius.
TrashMan wrote:Looks like Alex is actually a TACTICAL GENIUS
Just like Lieutenant Backsight Forethought and his defence of Duffer's Drift from positions near Washout Hill and Regret Table Mountain.

Tempral_Imperial

Post by Tempral_Imperial »

Tactical Genius? Be that as it may, Alex is still no Ursarkar E. Creed.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I just had a thought. Perhaps what Alex will be able to bring to the table is not some super awesome tactical move that will blow everyone away by its uncanny brilliance.

Perhaps what Alex will be able to do is look at the Umiak through unbiased eyes and appropriately judge their intentions, and thus, allow whoever is in charge to act in response to those intentions?

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

*Slow clap* there you go Ice.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Krennson

Post by Krennson »

NOMAD wrote:in other words, Alex was beating them so bad, he was able to attack ( which wasn't allowed in the game)

Alex . . . I like him more already
I'm not certain that's what Alex meant... I think Alex was in charge of defending a system in the wargame, but instead of waiting until the enemy attacked, he started out by launching an attack against their rallying point before they were ready.

In Commander Mazey's defense, he MIGHT have a valid complaint with how Alex handled the wargame.

There are two basic reasons to run a professional level wargame.

Reason 1 is what people are most familiar with: To practice fighting a full-scale battle. In this type of wargame, you do everything you can to win, because you're testing whether or not people know how to do their jobs, make decisions, work together, and are able to actually Win. You're also testing the worst case scenarios for what the enemy might do, so the 'enemy' forces are supposed to try and win too.

So, in a 'Reason 1' Wargame, Alex should do everything possible to win.

However there is also Reason 2 for running a wargame: To answer questions

If you're running a wargame to answer a specific list of questions, you have to make certain starting assumptions, and the 'enemy' player has to abide by them.

If the 'question' for a given wargame is "how much damage can we inflict on a superior enemies solar system, assuming we catch them completely by suprise", then the Officer playing the superior enemy needs to ALLOW himself to be suprised. Otherwise, the wargame can't answer the question it was created for.

If Alex was told: "We already know a enemy main battle fleet can destroy earth's entire navy if they shoot first. The purpose of the exercise is to find out if we have a chance if we catch them completely by suprise.... and You're going to play the enemy." ...

Then, after Alex recieved those instructions, if Alex ordered his entire fleet to battle stations at the beginning of the exercise, even then he don't have an 'In-character' reason for doing that yet, Commander Mazey might have a legitimate complaint with how Alex handled things.

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

Long story short, Alex may be guilty of metagaming. The dastard.
Ashrain is best rain.

Zakharra

Post by Zakharra »

If they put him in a Kobayashi Maru senario,. he might have just out thought them in different ways.

Michael

Post by Michael »

he may have out maneuvered them with unorthodox maneuvers, Mazy may have been trying to trick Alex but he just didn't play ball and instead used Mazy's maneuver against him?
can't wait to see what actually did happen, im Hamilton will ask Alex, who will be only too happy to tell
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

Eledore

Post by Eledore »

Alex following in the footsteps of Miracle Yang? (anime: Legend of the Galactic Heroes)

Well it usually are the small but well planned moves that prove to be the most decisive in a battle.
If you pull at the right time where the enemy pushes, you can lead him into the perfect ambush.

Anyhow, i was reading back a few pages, and decided to join the forum discussions to show that there 'Are' still people out there who follow outsider but have not made them selves known.

Hi,
Got a Darn good comic here, have been following it since page 33.
Keep it up!
Last edited by Eledore on Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

I just had a thought. Perhaps what Alex will be able to bring to the table is not some super awesome tactical move that will blow everyone away by its uncanny brilliance.

Perhaps what Alex will be able to do is look at the Umiak through unbiased eyes and appropriately judge their intentions, and thus, allow whoever is in charge to act in response to those intentions?
A good point- Humans do not have the benefit of Loroi abilities; so they may actually be superior at "reading" someone compared to a Loroi who is denied mental contact with the target.

After all, you can still get tone of voice, phrasing, and some body posture info from a video feed.

Tempral_Imperial

Post by Tempral_Imperial »

Overkill Engine wrote: A good point- Humans do not have the benefit of Loroi abilities; so they may actually be superior at "reading" someone compared to a Loroi who is denied mental contact with the target.

After all, you can still get tone of voice, phrasing, and some body posture info from a video feed.
This is ignoring the fact that humans have had barely any contact with aliens, while the Loroi have had centuries. If the Loroi are awkward in this by overly relying on their extranatural abilities, then humans will have trouble through inexperience in examining alien motives.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

I'm guessing the look on Alex's face means that the Cap'n just gave him a job offer.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

fredgiblet wrote:I'm guessing the look on Alex's face means that the Cap'n just gave him a job offer.
thus starting one hell of a story,

i hope this mean good things on coming soon (ish)
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD