Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Whale

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Whale »

Jamming and being undetectable are different things. With jamming (in this example someone is "yelling"?) you know there's something there.

A bit like stealth and EWAR planes.

That's how I see it.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Karst45 wrote:So.... are you implying that telepathy jamming isnt unheard of in the loroi socity?
Yes, telepathy can be interfered with (jamming is covered in the updated telepathy article).

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Don't know if it's on purpose, but both the Physical Link and Reading Thoughts section headers in the article aren't bolded?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

They're each sub-sections of the bold subjects above them.

championneko

Post by championneko »

Heya ;)
I'm kinda new to Outsider since I discovered this fantastic webcomic only yesterday.
I've read this whole discussion but I still have some question (I may have missed the answers, in that case I'm really sorry there was a lot to read ^^; )

-How much time Lorois female bear their babies ?
-How long (in human days) is a female Lorois cycle ? (And are they experiencing humor like human women ? This may be a very important question for Alex to survive in this women Loroi army xD )
-Are inter-cast breeding allowed to Lorois ?
-Since they aren't at ease with skin contact, how do Lorois feels about breast-feeding ?
-Do Lorois fall in love like us humans ? How do female Leroy feel about "sharing" their lover ?
-Since there a 1/8 male/female ratio do female Loroi tend to have a female lover ?
-If it's the case how the society see this kind of relation between female, and how does the military see it ?
-I had difficulties to understand how Loroi family are used to be, can you explain it as simple as possible for a french reader ^^; ?
-I've read that Loroi school tend to be 2-4 years, do they use their telepathy to learn faster ?
-How can Beryl learn "English" in a few hours since she can't use telepathy on Alex ?
-Will cats rule the universe ?
-Do Loroi girl plays with dolls or with mini-spaceship ? (or does it depends on cast ?)
-Are cats able to use telepathy since egyptians thought they were able to see the dead ? (This may be a good point in their plan of domination over Lorois)
-Will Alex be able to find suitable food or will he die from starvation ?
-Is Alex stupid or just not into lovely alien girls ? (when Beryl ask him if he has special "male" needs why he don't say YES >.> So many lovely girls on this ship it's almost a crime not to try to seduce at least one, or maybe he's gay)
-Why does Alex feel sick when the Loroi ship "jumps" and not when human ship does ?
-Do Lorois have taste for fashion ? What the lastest fashion in this case ?
-Some human girls have teddybear on their panties, what do Loroi girls have on theirs ? (This question is pure fanservice)
-Do Loroi have some telepathy "savoir-vivre" ? I mean have they a way to adress someone in a polite way other than getting inside someone thought and say "Hello I'm in your mind !".
-Too many beautiful alien girls already died in this stupid war, is their a way to stop this ?
-Many Loroi must have been hurted in this war and incapacited, how does Loroi society interact with those military that cannot fight anymore ? (maybe they have some bionic member and still fight ?)

I'll end my questions for now, but I will have a lot of them soon ;)

PS : Any link with french comic "Sillage", since in this story it seems that human are the only species in the universe to not be psychic ?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

championneko wrote:-How much time Lorois female bear their babies ?
The gestation period for a Loroi is 8 months, but warriors sometimes have the baby removed to an incubator a few months early if they are on duty.
championneko wrote:-How long (in human days) is a female Lorois cycle ? (And are they experiencing humor like human women ? This may be a very important question for Alex to survive in this women Loroi army xD )
Loroi don't have a regular menstrual cycle; they begin the process after fertilization.
championneko wrote:-Are inter-cast breeding allowed to Lorois ?
Males are considered outside the caste system, so technically there's no restriction on breeding outside the caste. Warrior females prefer to mate with males who are offspring of warriors (and not civilians), but the females usually don't have a say in who they are mated with.
championneko wrote:-Since they aren't at ease with skin contact, how do Lorois feels about breast-feeding ?
Skin to skin contact establishes a strong telepathic connection; this is uncomfortable with strangers but not a problem with close friends and family (or a baby... though all the baby is sending telepathically is OM NOM NOM NOM).
championneko wrote:-Do Lorois fall in love like us humans ? How do female Leroy feel about "sharing" their lover ?
-Since there a 1/8 male/female ratio do female Loroi tend to have a female lover ?
-If it's the case how the society see this kind of relation between female, and how does the military see it ?
-I had difficulties to understand how Loroi family are used to be, can you explain it as simple as possible for a french reader ^^; ?
Those answers can be found here, especially in the "Gender and Sexuality" section: http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/forum_loroi.html
championneko wrote:-I've read that Loroi school tend to be 2-4 years, do they use their telepathy to learn faster ?
Yes.
championneko wrote:-How can Beryl learn "English" in a few hours since she can't use telepathy on Alex ?
Beryl is Listel, and so has a photographic memory. It's part of her job to be able to remember things with great fidelity.
championneko wrote:-Will cats rule the universe ?
Cats don't already rule the universe?
championneko wrote:-Do Loroi girl plays with dolls or with mini-spaceship ? (or does it depends on cast ?)
Knives.
championneko wrote:-Are cats able to use telepathy since egyptians thought they were able to see the dead ? (This may be a good point in their plan of domination over Lorois)
My cat master forbids me to answer this question.
championneko wrote:-Will Alex be able to find suitable food or will he die from starvation ?
He will find nutrition from an unusual source.
championneko wrote:-Is Alex stupid or just not into lovely alien girls ? (when Beryl ask him if he has special "male" needs why he don't say YES >.> So many lovely girls on this ship it's almost a crime not to try to seduce at least one, or maybe he's gay)
Although Alex has a French last name, he's not actually French, and so it's not his first impulse to try to have sex with the first alien who smiles at him. :D
championneko wrote:-Why does Alex feel sick when the Loroi ship "jumps" and not when human ship does ?
He did feel sick when the human ship jumped.
championneko wrote:-Do Lorois have taste for fashion ? What the lastest fashion in this case ?
The military Loroi wear uniforms, so fashion is limited to hair styles.
championneko wrote:-Some human girls have teddybear on their panties, what do Loroi girls have on theirs ? (This question is pure fanservice)
You will see.
championneko wrote:-Do Loroi have some telepathy "savoir-vivre" ? I mean have they a way to adress someone in a polite way other than getting inside someone thought and say "Hello I'm in your mind !".
Telepathy is very literal and blunt. If you don't like someone, it's hard not to say, "Hello, I really don't like you."
championneko wrote:-Too many beautiful alien girls already died in this stupid war, is their a way to stop this ?
championneko wrote:-Many Loroi must have been hurted in this war and incapacited, how does Loroi society interact with those military that cannot fight anymore ? (maybe they have some bionic member and still fight ?)
Warriors who have lost the physical or mental capacity to fight are cared for by the state.
championneko wrote:Any link with french comic "Sillage", since in this story it seems that human are the only species in the universe to not be psychic ?
I've heard of the comic, but I have never read it.

discord

Post by discord »

greatcat: it seems we have another who has not found the insider....
http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/insider.html

and humans the only ones that are not telepathic?....oh right human centric thinking, there are only humans and xenos(which are not humans).... seriously though, so far only the loroi are telepathic, humans are resistant to some degree, not explained how much so yet, which is VERY unusual, unique so far actually.

Beliskner

Post by Beliskner »

I have few questions:

1.How Loroi would react on alcohol(human)? I mean beer, wine or stronger ones(vodka, moonshine, rectified spirit)?

2.How their fast metabolism react on drinking? They get drunk instantly?

3.How about resistance.I mean how much they need to drink to fall. Stronger or weaker than humans? (skip Polish and Russian population resistance please :twisted: )

championneko

Post by championneko »

Sorry Discord
I usually think like you, human aren't the center of the universe, but they are still on only reference we have.
By this question I had the Sillage comic in mind, where alien race are either psy-activ, that mean they are able to use psychic skills, or psy-passiv, that mean they can't use psy but you can use psy on them. When they find on a lost planet the only survivor of an unkwon alien spaceship, a human girl who can't be affected nor detected by psychic skill. That's why it may seems human centered ^^;

thanks for your quick answer Arioch

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Beliskner wrote:1.How Loroi would react on alcohol(human)? I mean beer, wine or stronger ones(vodka, moonshine, rectified spirit)?
2.How their fast metabolism react on drinking? They get drunk instantly?
3.How about resistance.I mean how much they need to drink to fall. Stronger or weaker than humans? (skip Polish and Russian population resistance please)
I'm not sure what effect alcohol would have on Soia-Liron biochemistry (and there won't be an opportunity to find out in the story), but I'm guessing the effects would not be positive. Intoxicating drugs are very dangerous for beings with psionic powers, so they are almost universally illegal in Loroi society. When a Loroi needs to relax or detach from too much stress or some similar situation, they use a sedative to sleep (or to rest in a more safe, controlled fashion than alcohol intoxication).

Loroi resistance to drugs and the rapidity with which they can remove them from the system depends on the drug. A substance like alcohol that the body identifies as harmful would probably be removed from the system as quickly as possible (and Soia-Liron metabolisms are efficient). However, a substance that was recognized by the body as beneficial (an analgesic, antibiotic, etc.) might linger in the system longer.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

championneko wrote:Sorry Discord
I usually think like you, human aren't the center of the universe, but they are still on only reference we have.
By this question I had the Sillage comic in mind, where alien race are either psy-activ, that mean they are able to use psychic skills, or psy-passiv, that mean they can't use psy but you can use psy on them. When they find on a lost planet the only survivor of an unkwon alien spaceship, a human girl who can't be affected nor detected by psychic skill. That's why it may seems human centered ^^;
Loroi are the only psychically active species that's known. Humans are special because we seem to have total resistance to psi, we don't show up on psidar and they can't seem to read our minds (the sample size right now is small, but the evidence is compelling). The rest of the species are all visible on psidar and vulnerable (to varying degrees) to mind reading/manipulation.

That brings up a question for Arioch. Other than humans what's the second least vulnerable species? We know the most vulnerable are the Golim, but who gives the Loroi the most trouble with their minds.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

fredgiblet wrote:Other than humans what's the second least vulnerable species? We know the most vulnerable are the Golim, but who gives the Loroi the most trouble with their minds.
The Mannadi had significant resistance to Loroi telepathy.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Arioch wrote:
championneko wrote:-Will Alex be able to find suitable food or will he die from starvation ?
My mind is filled with bad thoughts right now. And worst of all, one of them might a diplomatic boon: "He thinks what is a delicacy?".

championneko

Post by championneko »

Saddly I must admit I had bad thought too when reading this. I'm just glad Loroi can't read my mind or I would have been executed rigth away ^^;

Arioch please forgive me m(_ _)m

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

I was curious about what Loroi humor is like. judging from Beryl it seems that laughter exists in their society, but are there Loroi comedians and if so, what do they do? tell jokes, do parodies of major society figures, do they have physical comedy like Chris Farley?

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Since Loroi telepathy is very truthful, I suspect a lot of their humor would be in physical buffoonery, and the retelling of stories that involve others doing humorous things. Although, I suspect that it is possible for there to occasionally be "method actors," in Loroi society that essentially invent memories and feelings using their imagination, and then transmitting those. The kind of people that can actually get themselves to cry just by thinking about it really hard. (It would still probably register as being an act, but perhaps that is enough for the humor to get through.)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I've observed that the more conservative and buttoned-down the society, the more ridiculous and outrageous their sense of humor. I suspect that a lot of what the Loroi would find funny is slapstick, wacky non-sequitur Monty Python type stuff.

I doubt that the Loroi would have professional comedians in society that doesn't understand fiction. I suppose they might have Stand-up Philosophers.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Arioch wrote:I suppose they might have Stand-up Philosophers.

Ah... you mean bullshit artists! 8-)
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

projekcja

Post by projekcja »

Absalom wrote:
Arioch wrote:
My mind is filled with bad thoughts right now. And worst of all, one of them might a diplomatic boon: "He thinks what is a delicacy?".
My thoughts went straight to Draal from Babylon5:
Ah, the joy of being fed intravenously by a planet sized starship...

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote: Skin to skin contact establishes a strong telepathic connection; this is uncomfortable with strangers but not a problem with close friends and family (or a baby... though all the baby is sending telepathically is OM NOM NOM NOM).

aww man i was drinking water when i read that part. you can guess the result (p.s. you own me a new screen :D)
Arioch wrote:
... any answer i think is highly unethical
Arioch wrote:
championneko wrote:-Is Alex stupid or just not into lovely alien girls ? (when Beryl ask him if he has special "male" needs why he don't say YES >.> So many lovely girls on this ship it's almost a crime not to try to seduce at least one, or maybe he's gay)
Although Alex has a French last name, he's not actually French, and so it's not his first impulse to try to have sex with the first alien who smiles at him. :D
If is name was Kirk then yes it would be is job, but sadly is name Alex :)
Arioch wrote:
championneko wrote:-Some human girls have teddybear on their panties, what do Loroi girls have on theirs ? (This question is pure fanservice)
You will see.
Mini golim with <3
Arioch wrote:
championneko wrote:-Many Loroi must have been hurted in this war and incapacited, how does Loroi society interact with those military that cannot fight anymore ? (maybe they have some bionic member and still fight ?)
Warriors who have lost the physical or mental capacity to fight are cared for by the state.
But how do they regard them? do they see them with pity as defective or with great pride and/or respect?
Arioch wrote:
championneko wrote:Any link with french comic "Sillage", since in this story it seems that human are the only species in the universe to not be psychic ?
I've heard of the comic, but I have never read it.
seem the name of that comic is Wake. but they did sensor a lots of thing when they translated it to english for the US