Sound off!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

nac87

Sound off!

Post by nac87 »

Nice to meet you all! Decided to make an account hear after drifting through now and then for years. I've been a long time fan of outsider and have run several RP sessions set in the world, I am a long time roleplayer and have game mastered for over 15 years (for sci-fi settings is the game Traveller). I like both "hard" and "soft" science fiction and I have read a truckload of novels (I recently finished the "Vatta's War" series, It's was a good series") I also love "Hammer's Slammers" and I generally despise the works of John Ringo. I am a US Army and Air Force vet and I am 27 years awesome. K' that's all you can go home now.
"Last in, First out"
-Nac87 in "how I roll"

RedDwarfIV

Re: Sound off!

Post by RedDwarfIV »

John Ringo's Posleen War series is hilarious once you realise that the Posleen could have been defeated entirely with mortars.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

nac87

Post by nac87 »

Oh you mean wasting resources to rejuvenate Nazi SS officers wasn't an awesome plan? lol
"Last in, First out"
-Nac87 in "how I roll"

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

nac87 wrote:Oh you mean wasting resources to rejuvenate Nazi SS officers wasn't an awesome plan? lol
And then there's the fact that no effort was made to produce human-built spacecraft. Sure, they built some SSTOs, but they were practically useless and had no survivability. Sure, they only had five years, but it takes about that long to build one aircraft carrier. Make ORION battleships, if possible fit them with Planetary Defence Centre cannons. They'll be a lot more useful than a converted-freighter 'frigate' that'll blow itself up because nothing stops a launch when people are working on the damn pods.

Those can be used to help destroy the battle globes, while on the ground, mass-produced mortars take up the majority of Posleen-killing work. Keep the soldiers back where they won't be in melee range.

Also, how exactly did the Posleen survive the PRC performing a nuclear carpet-bombing run?

nac87

Post by nac87 »

What? Ringo not using logic? Unheard of!

But seriously if you want an even better junky story by him read "The Last Centurion" it's a beautiful example of Ringo combining his two favorite things: Poorly thought out stories and hyper conservative bordering on fascist politics. They come together in a chunky mess of a plot stew that leaves you rolling your eyes once a sentence and telling yourself once and for all that you won't buy another of his books even if they are on discount at the used book store. As I said not a fan.
"Last in, First out"
-Nac87 in "how I roll"

discord

Post by discord »

bah, 16 inch guns in tanks are much more fun.... and hilarious when firing antimatter shells, although my fav shiva moment must be using abrams tanks as traction enhancers with the tank crews cheering on.

me, I actually like ringo, he is....not politically correct, and I respect that, we need more people that can say 'so this is supposed to be right? well I do not agree.'
and the zombie apocalypse series is quite enjoyable.

reddwarf: significantly higher tolerance for radiation(and an even higher tolerance for killed troops that even china can't match.) means that the next wave simply walked over the scorched earth and continued the attack, it stopped the attack, just not for very long.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

discord wrote:reddwarf: significantly higher tolerance for radiation(and an even higher tolerance for killed troops that even china can't match.) means that the next wave simply walked over the scorched earth and continued the attack, it stopped the attack, just not for very long.
That makes sense, but I don't think he put it so succinctly in the book.

Didn't the US design nuclear land-mines for if the USSR tried to invade Europe? You could parachute those into China from planes between waves.
nac87 wrote:But seriously if you want an even better junky story by him read "The Last Centurion" it's a beautiful example of Ringo combining his two favorite things: Poorly thought out stories and hyper conservative bordering on fascist politics. They come together in a chunky mess of a plot stew that leaves you rolling your eyes once a sentence and telling yourself once and for all that you won't buy another of his books even if they are on discount at the used book store. As I said not a fan.
Well... At least with the Posleen War, it can be both laughable and fun. I don't really want to read a book where he jumps off the deep end. The phrase "oh john ringo no" does not exist for nothing, after all.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

hello how are you? Good I hope because now I can give you Ebo la la la https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... iSsrEg3tks

discord

Post by discord »

reddwarf: that phrase was specifically coined for the paladin of shadows series, and he steps into some seriously taboo areas in that one.
underage sex, prostitution, trafficking, torture, BDSM, raghead bashing, Chechnya bashing, sociopath behaviors, eugenics....just to mention a few.

and the nuke mines would work, but the problem is the fucking posleen breed faster than you can make nukes, for that to work you would need to go full scorched earth, that is not really a viable plan imho.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

discord wrote:reddwarf: that phrase was specifically coined for the paladin of shadows series, and he steps into some seriously taboo areas in that one.
underage sex, prostitution, trafficking, torture, BDSM, raghead bashing, Chechnya bashing, sociopath behaviors, eugenics....just to mention a few.

and the nuke mines would work, but the problem is the fucking posleen breed faster than you can make nukes, for that to work you would need to go full scorched earth, that is not really a viable plan imho.
I know the series it was made for. Doesn't mean it can't apply to his other works too.

I did say parachute them into China. This is after China did a Scorched Earth on itself.

discord

Post by discord »

red: why bother? the Chinese are basically wiped out at that point, no point in holding the land, the only reason to do it that i can think of would be to salt the land in addition to scorching it and at that point the humans were still thinking about living on the planet afterwards, so not such a great idea imho,
not that you could not use nuclear mines to good effect in that war, but mines indicate a defensive mindset a 'let them come to us' mentality, and the only one around with brass balls big enough to actually get them(despite the presidents 'no nukes' order) did not really do 'defensive'....

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

discord wrote:reddwarf: that phrase was specifically coined for the paladin of shadows series, and he steps into some seriously taboo areas in that one.

BDSM, prostitution, torture, trafficking, and sociopath behaviors is this a nod to the Dark Eldar?

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

discord wrote:red: why bother? the Chinese are basically wiped out at that point, no point in holding the land, the only reason to do it that i can think of would be to salt the land in addition to scorching it and at that point the humans were still thinking about living on the planet afterwards, so not such a great idea imho,
not that you could not use nuclear mines to good effect in that war, but mines indicate a defensive mindset a 'let them come to us' mentality, and the only one around with brass balls big enough to actually get them(despite the presidents 'no nukes' order) did not really do 'defensive'....
Because of the extra Posleen it would kill? The area's already radioactive from the Chinese nuking it. Besides, it's not like anti-personnel mines were never used against the Posleen. The Posleen were probably already going to come to China in the next wave, if only to settle it. Since America had no plans to send troops to China (they were needed too badly in the US), why not drop some nuke mines there?

nac87

Post by nac87 »

Hey you know whats funny guys? I forgot this story has the aliens called the Darhel the're SPACE ELVES! (unfortunatly the SS and the IJN wipe them all out, oh well...)
"Last in, First out"
-Nac87 in "how I roll"

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

nac87 wrote:Hey you know whats funny guys? I forgot this story has the aliens called the Darhel the're SPACE ELVES! (unfortunatly the SS and the IJN wipe them all out, oh well...)
Well admittedly, they did try to use the Posleen to wipe most of us out then use the rest of us as slave-warriors. The only thing really preventing them from sailing a planet-killer into Earth is that they still needed us to kill off the last of the Posleen, and now the Hedren are invading their core worlds.

Though I imagine there would have been something a lot better than genocide to keep the Darhel from doing that. A pair of Supermonitors over each core world with the threat of opening fire if they do something to Earth might work. Then there would have been an actual act of war to justify it, as opposed to their having not provided enough weapons, or influenced political parties to do silly things that compromised Earth's defence.

nac87

Post by nac87 »

Or you could march right up to the leader of the Darhel and slap him in the face and say "NO, Stop it right now, that's not cool bro we don't do that around here!".
"Last in, First out"
-Nac87 in "how I roll"