What is better not offer to Loroi

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

RedDwarfIV

Re: What is better not offer to Loroi

Post by RedDwarfIV »

Oh. You were focusing on how the Orgus were isolationist. Now I get where you're coming from. I was talking about how the Terrans could not and should not attempt independent military operations against the Umiak until their tech base has been improved.

Although I will point out, if the Loroi want to expand the front to human space, they would need to give humanity the technology to provide all the things a forward base would need. They may mistrust aliens, but I don't think they'd ignore a potential advantage just because it's aliens that can offer it.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

Zakharra

Post by Zakharra »

The Orgus were isolationist traders... that seems like an oxymoron. :lol:

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

So were the Japanese under the Tokugawa bakufu.
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The Orgus wanted to trade without having to become allied with the Umiak or having to go to war with the Loroi. I'm not sure that "isolationist" is the right term for that. But even if it is, that kind of isolationism has nothing to do with trade. The United States prior to the World Wars was isolationist in the sense that it didn't want to become entangled in Europe's alliances, but they still wanted to trade.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Isolationist, in the sense that I was using it, was in regards to trying to avoid the conflict. In any case, I don't think it is unwise for humanity to try to be proactive. Even if they had comparable warships to the Umiak, it is debatable whether they would be able to hold out for long. (I am curious to see how long the Loroi can hold out without the advantage of their Farseers.)