Page 103 discussion.

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

pinheadh78

Page 103 discussion.

Post by pinheadh78 »

Woohoo! Glad to see the comic continuing and looks like our long patience paid off.

Sounds like whatever it was the Umiak commander was talking about may have begun after the convoy they are rendezvousing with left Azimol.

Also....

and... first! :D

icekatze

Re: Page 103 discussion.

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

In other news, Beryl stocks skyrocketed today when a member of the observer caste managed to read a human's mind without using any telepathy whatsoever, effectively finishing his sentence. Crowds reportedly erupted into applause and cheering upon witnessing the event. In addition, events further confounded the age old question of whether curiosity is a virtue or a vice. ;)

Senshi_Akai

Post by Senshi_Akai »

I created an account just to say that I am very pleased to see the comic back on the track. This will be a master piece, I just know it!

Catoblepas

Post by Catoblepas »

A new Page! I'm so happy!

I think I remember Arioch saying there were some problems with the shuttle's geometry at some point...?

If that's the case, good to hear that those issues got resolved.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

You can choose any seat you want, and I'm going to sit RIGHT next to you no matter which one you choose!~

Username

Post by Username »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Darn it pinheadh78 I wanted to post that gif lol.

AS to Beryls reactionImage

Also, Arioch those look like some damn fine chairs. :D
Congrats on working out the shuttle difficulties.

Here's hoping that things will flow much smoother for a little while. :?

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

The Prophet of FBT approves of this development...

pinheadh78

Post by pinheadh78 »

Time to get the fan theories rolling to see what we can sus out and guess at before the next update.

Jardin's group started in Naam and it's been a week and several jumps on their way to Seren.
http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider098.html

After reviewing the map
http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/image ... r_map2.gif

They could have had a short trip to Azimol directly OR they took the long way around via the steps OR actually passed through the Azimol system and continued towards Seren.

If the supply fleet they linked up with "just came from Azimol" then Jardin's group is only a jump or two (IE a couple days) from Azimol. It's been a week plus since the Naam battle and the Umiak's boasting about Azimol being in danger 'as we speak' so IF something was actually happening surely someone has heard something about it.

Either the Umiak really was bluffing about the current danger to Azimol and the war OR the hammer hasn't dropped yet OR the supply convoy left just before hostilities at Azimol and having traveled a few days to link up with Jardin's supply group is un-aware of an attack.

More likely the map just isn't an exhaustive map and there are jump-points and systems not represented between the major locations that account for the jumps, time, and lack of info.

@Username: sorry :), I've had that one locked in the chamber ready to fire for a few months now and I habitually read the outsider-forums daily.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Obviously you take the seat at the back of the space bus, even though there's no other coolkids to share it with. Also:

Don't delay, join today!

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

pinheadh78 wrote:snip
You forget one thing, farsense communications. The convoy may not have a farseer onboard but Tempest surely has.

If an Umiak breakthrough happened then I am sure that an emergency Farseer communication would have been sent to every available fleet with farseer capabilities.

Unless I have hit the mark and the Umiak have also managed to jam farseer to farseer comms.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

They actually don't communicate. I used to think they did as well, but they can only sense at range, not speak.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

fredgiblet wrote:They actually don't communicate. I used to think they did as well, but they can only sense at range, not speak.
From the Loroi Timeline:

http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/loroi_timeline.html
803 CE Farseers on Deinar make telepathic contact with their counterparts on Perrein.
And from the Loroi Caste Title:

http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/loroi_ranks.html
Mizol are also prohibited from taking direct command of a vessel, but the senior Mizol usually fills a role (in addition to that of diplomat) across between an intelligence officer and a political officer, and is often in a position to deliver Admiralty-level commands to the ship's captain (sometimes through Farseer contact).
If they can't talk then Arioch has to change the above, or at least make it clear what kind of communication they are able to do in that distance.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Wow... Christmas has come early this year! :)

Edit: On the topic of farseer communication: why would they need all those messenger ships, if all they need would be a bunch of farseers?
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Suederwind wrote:Wow... Christmas has come early this year! :)

Edit: On the topic of farseer communication: why would they need all those messenger ships, if all they need would be a bunch of farseers?
My 'explanation' of this 'hole' will be that they can only send very limited messages, a few sentences at best in a span of hours, before the farseers lose the connection/concetration at that distance.

EDIT: Something Like this message: Emergency Alert, go at [coordinates] and intercept enemy forces.

Would be enough for short orders but detailed campaign orders and detailed intelligence reports would need a classical form of communication.

discord

Post by discord »

dragoon: even if we assume farseers could communicate without effort at conversation speed, did not need to sleep, was 100% accurate in transmission retention and writing it down all at the same time, it would not be 'fast enough' for strategic intelligence, maybe if we add in digital compression protocols...as far as i understand it, none of those assumptions are true though.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

discord wrote:dragoon: even if we assume farseers could communicate without effort at conversation speed, did not need to sleep, was 100% accurate in transmission retention and writing it down all at the same time, it would not be 'fast enough' for strategic intelligence, maybe if we add in digital compression protocols...as far as i understand it, none of those assumptions are true though.
Very limited messages should be retented by the farseer or one of her attendants even.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

If I remember that correctly, a message send by a farseer over such distances would be lethal for others, standing around the sender and people standing in the "target area". However, I am not sure if thats correct.
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Roeben

Post by Roeben »

UOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Telepathic contact does not necessarily involve 2 way communication. It is my understanding that the contact between farseers was more like. "Hey, there's another mind over here, and it feels Loroi to me. How odd is that?"

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

Telepathic contact does not necessarily involve 2 way communication. It is my understanding that the contact between farseers was more like. "Hey, there's another mind over here, and it feels Loroi to me. How odd is that?"
That would go against what is written in the loroi ranks entry in the insider.