Armrests?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

curtwos

Armrests?

Post by curtwos »

Long-time fan, lurker, blah blah..

Delighted to see an update, just wondering if armrests are an oversight on the chairs? On any long trip arms hanging down is very uncomfortable and fatiguing. Loroi physiology consciously different in this regard? Artistic choice? Or .. just an oversight. I normally wouldn't bother nit-picking but since each pixel is so carefully considered in this series, thought I'd toss it out.

Not that it bothers me one way or another (or.. shoudl matter to anyone if it did..), just thought there might be something there.

-Curt

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Armrests?

Post by Arioch »

Omitting armrests was a deliberate choice. The Loroi often wear pouches and various gear on their hips, and these don't coexist well with armrests.

In my research of real-world shipboard military chairs, as with real-world office chairs, some do have armrests but many don't.

curtwos

Post by curtwos »

that's really cool, thought there might be more to it :) learn something new every day.

thought it was going to be "don't cut off that truck" today, but this one is much better.

keep up the good work.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arioch wrote:Omitting armrests was a deliberate choice. The Loroi often wear pouches and various gear on their hips, and these don't coexist well with armrests.

In my research of real-world shipboard military chairs, as with real-world office chairs, some do have armrests but many don't.
As a "blue collar worker" I can see this from the loroi point of view when tool pouches on my work gear hooks into armrests on those chairs that have them. Really annoying when it happens.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote: as with real-world office chairs, some do have armrests but many don't.
Probably because most office chairs actually have a desk in front to rest your arms, also armless chairs are cheaper to buy :)

often troop transporter have what they call chairs, what i call them is "bended metal pipes with something that look like a fabric"

i suppose it depend how much you care about the comfort of your people vs the price of increasing this comfort :)

novius

Post by novius »

Actually, this shuttle looks more like a military vessel/troop transport rather than a leisure cruiser. Fitting, since it does belong to a strike force. So, my thoughts were that armrests are deliberately omitted just because
  • inter-fleet troop movement from ship to ship wouldn't take long anyway, so there are little considerations about comfort
  • armrests sticking out would hinder a speedy entrance and egress

Namaphry

Post by Namaphry »

Armrests are also more useful if your sitting posture is open and designed to shed heat. Just like leaving your arms hanging down, using armrests exposes your underarms and abdomen to the air, and makes it easier to leave your legs open. If you don't need to shed heat this way, it's less problematic keep your arms close to your body, and rest your hands on your legs, lap, or hips. Among humans, this is easier for women (who don't need to keep their gametes below body temperature), people with lower body weight, and those whose clothing allows for better air circulation.

I imagine armoured Loroi might like to have armrests, too, but I don't think they'd need them as much as human males, at least due to size and posture.