Page 105 discussion

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Grayhome

Re: Page 105 discussion

Post by Grayhome »

here are going to be a finite number of physical sensors distributed around the ship, and after the initial moment of the hit, many of them in the damaged area are going to go off-scale high and then fail, so you're not going to get a perfectly clear picture of the damage as you might in a videogame.
Reminded me of... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DDbUa916bA

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

That's actually accurate considering that even the most rudimentary of modern sensors suffer regular failures and require a man on site in order for someone to form a clear picture, or as clear as the man on the site can form.

Let's say that I worked as a phone operator at a security company for a few months. 60% of the alarms going off were due to technical failures (including botched set ups by bored contractors, electric current issues and rats eating the cables), 35% were due to human error and 5% were actual alarms.

Dahak

Post by Dahak »

Arioch wrote:It's partly deliberate misdirection (it's supposed to be a surprise that the ship has been cut in two), but partly realistic, I think. There are going to be a finite number of physical sensors distributed around the ship, and after the initial moment of the hit, many of them in the damaged area are going to go off-scale high and then fail, so you're not going to get a perfectly clear picture of the damage as you might in a videogame.
To quote a Historic example
"Houston, we've had a problem. We've had a main B bus undervolt."
Arioch wrote:The personal shuttles are more for showing off for VIP's than for personal enjoyment.
That does imply the usual existance of a fancier set of chairs and other fittings that can be mounted on the same points as the current set or to the lock down points for one of those Infantry Fire support drones you've mentioned.

Stillstorm strikes me as the sort of officer that would have it rigged for a marine drop when she uses it and doesn't see Alex as being a reason to have anyone spend the time to try and find the nicer loadout.

elorran

Post by elorran »

Boarding actions rarely happen... and I suspect there are craft in tempest's hangers that are better suited for boarding actions than the large shuttle alex is riding in.