Outcast Quest [Updated 10/10/18 - Turn 14]

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

dragoongfa

Re: Outcast Quest

Post by dragoongfa »

So there isn't an emergency military action?

Ok I will work on something later.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Okay then:

Plan: No omelet without a broken egg

Turn 9

[X] Build Fallout shelter in the mine
-[X] Strengthen the existing buildings by using one or both of our stewardship actions
--[X]If one action goes to strengthen then use the other to build and coordinate the equipment necessary to surround Niflheim with a magnetic field.
-[X] Have the marines plant explosives on Fenrir; the explosives should be placed in such a way to induce multiple and spread out shattering shockwave downwards into the in silicate crust. (This is our military action)

(This uses up all of our actions bar research into combating this threat, for all intents and purposes Turn 9 should be considered a turn 'wasted' in regards to our actions)

Turn 10

[X] Detonate the explosives when the silicate shell shows clear signs of beginning to break, with Whale help or without.
-[X] L-amour is on PD duty
--[X] If whales, mantas or gargoyles eat the silicate Shell then activate the electro magnetic field only if something is getting close
---[X] If the Shell is not eaten by anything then activate the electromagnetic field

Use of the altitude thrusters to angle Niflheim to avoid the worse is taken for granted
Evacuation of the colonists into the fallout shelter is taken for granted
Turn 10 actions are open for picking depending on how things progress in turn 9

anamiac

Post by anamiac »

[X] Fallout Shelter

alpha

Post by alpha »

dragoongfa wrote:Okay then:

Plan: No omelet without a broken egg

Turn 9

[X] Build Fallout shelter in the mine
-[X] Strengthen the existing buildings by using one or both of our stewardship actions
--[X]If one action goes to strengthen then use the other to build and coordinate the equipment necessary to surround Niflheim with a magnetic field.
-[X] Have the marines plant explosives on Fenrir; the explosives should be placed in such a way to induce multiple and spread out shattering shockwave downwards into the in silicate crust. (This is our military action)

(This uses up all of our actions bar research into combating this threat, for all intents and purposes Turn 9 should be considered a turn 'wasted' in regards to our actions)

Turn 10

[X] Detonate the explosives when the silicate shell shows clear signs of beginning to break, with Whale help or without.
-[X] L-amour is on PD duty
--[X] If whales, mantas or gargoyles eat the silicate Shell then activate the electro magnetic field only if something is getting close
---[X] If the Shell is not eaten by anything then activate the electromagnetic field

Use of the altitude thrusters to angle Niflheim to avoid the worse is taken for granted
Evacuation of the colonists into the fallout shelter is taken for granted
Turn 10 actions are open for picking depending on how things progress in turn 9
I suggest putting research into drones. Nothing fancy, just something that can tow the electromagnets and maybe some infrasound speakers, as well as place some charges.

Other than that, I agree with the plan.
I think I'm supposed to have a sig here.
Other Forums:
SpoilerShow
Alpha: Schlock Mercenary/Nightstar Zoo
And some others that I'll add... eventually.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

The problem with Drones is that its a little more than 400 research points which we don't have at the moment, researching them as we are will take at least 5 turns.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Drones would be nice, alpha, but I was thinking more of repurposing the suit commlinks, since that is a thing that should be completable within just a turn. I'm thinking 12 to 18 free-floating infrasound relays should be plenty, and should be pretty easy to distribute & relocate with shuttles. The infrasound transducers will be the one concern, and the numbers needed should make that doable, since they're just speakers tailored to be practical at low frequencies. The commlinks can probably be drawn entirely from in-stock spares kept around to fix any suit failures.

alpha

Post by alpha »

dragoongfa wrote:The problem with Drones is that its a little more than 400 research points which we don't have at the moment, researching them as we are will take at least 5 turns.
Absalom wrote:Drones would be nice, alpha, but I was thinking more of repurposing the suit commlinks, since that is a thing that should be completable within just a turn. I'm thinking 12 to 18 free-floating infrasound relays should be plenty, and should be pretty easy to distribute & relocate with shuttles. The infrasound transducers will be the one concern, and the numbers needed should make that doable, since they're just speakers tailored to be practical at low frequencies. The commlinks can probably be drawn entirely from in-stock spares kept around to fix any suit failures.
I was thinking of that, with maybe a gyroscope, a cheap chip that can do stationkeeping, and a few propellers.
I'm hoping people have phones with accelerometers that they're willing to donate, since phones have most of the necessary components (accelerometer, computer chip, output, camera) except a infrasound speaker and a long enough battery life. Even if there are no phones, we should have microchips.

This will work well enough: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

Since we're dealing with microgravity, hovering will not take up that much power, since wind currents are not going to be that strong.

Heck, we can even do manual station keeping if necessary. Take some civvies on the L'amour and have them rotate through shifts.

Also, we probably have a whiz programmer somewhere that can do the basic programming.
I think I'm supposed to have a sig here.
Other Forums:
SpoilerShow
Alpha: Schlock Mercenary/Nightstar Zoo
And some others that I'll add... eventually.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

alpha wrote:I was thinking of that, with maybe a gyroscope, a cheap chip that can do stationkeeping, and a few propellers.
I'm hoping people have phones with accelerometers that they're willing to donate, since phones have most of the necessary components (accelerometer, computer chip, output, camera) except a infrasound speaker and a long enough battery life. Even if there are no phones, we should have microchips.
That would all be nice, but unless Razor wants to ok cheating around the drone research, it's not going to happen. If rotation is a concern, then just triple the transducers.
alpha wrote:This will work well enough: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/
Which would be nice if the colonists had a small wormhole back home, commlinks should be enough.
alpha wrote:Heck, we can even do manual station keeping if necessary. Take some civvies on the L'amour and have them rotate through shifts.
The colony has shuttles, those should be enough.
alpha wrote:Also, we probably have a whiz programmer somewhere that can do the basic programming.
The commlinks are probably drastically overpowered devices that use *nix or equivalent, because chips with both the efficiency and processing power were cheap: all that's needed is an adequate script kiddie, and the ship's crew will have several.

joestej

Post by joestej »

I think we're getting derailed here by the technical stuff. In the end it doesn't really matter how we do it so long as Razor says we can. The relevant questions for the various plans seem to be as follows:
  1. Can we use drones at all, even crude short-range ones or drifting beacons?
  2. How strong does a magnetic field need to be to repel the local wildlife?
  3. How large a field (with the above strength) can we project? Can we only protect small craft like drones/shuttles, or can we shield larger things like L'Amore or Niflheim?
  4. Would placing bombs on Fenrir be a military or stewardship action? Seems like we'd need miners to help with finding where to plant the charges.
  5. Would strengthening our exterior construction help, or are the incoming asteroids going to be big/fast enough that there'd be no point?
Once those are answered, we can argue about if we want drones, what we should put on the drones, if we want magnetic fields on Niflheim, if we should armor our structures, etc. Still, pending some of Razor's answers, dragoongfa's plan seems the best thus far.
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

joestej wrote:
Can we use drones at all, even crude short-range ones or drifting beacons?
No. Drone research is a thing for a reason.

How strong does a magnetic field need to be to repel the local wildlife?
Major structures, ships, and shuttles all have the necessary power to produce a magnetic field capable of repulsing local life forms. Anything smaller will not.

How large a field (with the above strength) can we project?
Enough to protect everything you've built.

Can we only protect small craft like drones/shuttles, or can we shield larger things like L'Amore or Niflheim?
The whole asteroid will require a fission plant at the least. The L'Amour's fusion plant is overkill for the task, but the magnetic field necessary to protect more than just the ship would make operating the ship... hazardous.

Would placing bombs on Fenrir be a military or stewardship action? Seems like we'd need miners to help with finding where to plant the charges.
Military most likely, but you'd need an ordnance plant to properly manufacture and shape the charges for what you want. You can improvise mining charges, but that would mean a lengthier hit to your mining income.

Hmm. Thinking it over, I'll make it a stewardship action. You're choked for military actions at the moment and you've got a dilemma thrown in there too. May as well make things a bit easier on you.

Bunkering up is a free action by the way.

Would strengthening our exterior construction help, or are the incoming asteroids going to be big/fast enough that there'd be no point?
Old Spacer Saying; "If you're building a base in an area prone to meteor showers; don't." I'll give you the option to shore things up but there's no guarantee it'll work.

Once those are answered, we can argue about if we want drones, what we should put on the drones, if we want magnetic fields on Niflheim, if we should armor our structures, etc. Still, pending some of Razor's answers, dragoongfa's plan seems the best thus far.
Magnetic field protection is a freebie.

--

Okay, sorry for the lengthy delay, stuff happened, unbricked a bricked phone, etc. etc.

Calling it for the Fallout Shelter. Have the rest of Turn 9.

In order to make things easier for me, I'll be spoiling these by section rather than by pre-requisite. Between your brains and the survey I trust that you'll be able to manage.

Martial: Both Commander O'Malley and Colonel Pierce have begun work to secure your colony's future with their military knowledge and might. (Choose One)
SpoilerShow
[] Secondary Point Defense Mounting: Break the spare parts for your point defense laser and assemble a second PDL array on the underside of the L'Amour's hull. This will double the amount of firepower the L'Amour is capable of, though without a proper drydock it could overload. Not recommended for long term usage.

Cost: 500 RU and a potential chance of overload, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 100%, Reward: L'Amour's firepower doubled temporarily.

[] Colonial Point Defense Mounting: Break the spare parts for the L'Amour's point defense laser and assemble a PDL array in the colony itself. We'll need to divert power from the light ore refinery to properly power it up, and restarting the ore processing after shutdown is a delicate task.

Cost: 500 RU and light ore refinery disabled for turn 10, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 100%, Reward: Major colonial structures defended against any stragglers that get through your defense.

Secondary PDL and Colonial PDL are mutually exclusive.

[] Childrens Creche: With children on the way to being born, Colonel Pierce suggests a contained and well defended area be built to shelter them in case of an emergency. A team of marines will be posted as a permanent defence force to defend them to the death.

Cost: 1000 RU, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 100%, Reward: Children guaranteed protection during boarding actions. Parents rest easy. Colonel rests easy.

[] Combat Exercises: Commander O'Malley wants to run a series of combat simulations aimed at determining how best to defend the colony in case of an incursion by Urkuk or something worse.

Cost: 0, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 50%, Reward: A better idea of how you'll fare in a worst case scenario.

[] Whalers of the Sky: Ever since the discovery of life flying about in the Briar Patch, the prospect of samples to work with has been on most people's lips. Acquire them.

Cost: 1000 RU, Time: 2 Months, Chance of Success: 60%, Reward: New research options, ???, ???

[] Ordnance Plant (Requires Machine Shop): An ordnance plant would allow the manufacturing of ammunition for the marines existing gear as well as the production of your first round of mass drivers.

Cost: 2000 RU, 250 RU Upkeep, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 80%, Reward: Guns and Ammo ranging from sidearms to CIWS batteries.

[] Chemical Missile Plant (Requires Ordnance Plant): Basic chemical missile production facilities. Not the best in the universe, but better than nothing.

Cost: 5000 RU, 250 RU Upkeep, Time: 3 Months, Chance of Success: 70%, Reward: Missile production.

[] Niflheim CIWS (Requires Ordnance Plant): A series of defensive CIWS batteries for your colony that will attempt to shoot down anything that threatens you that is within range.

Cost: 5000 RU, 500 RU Upkeep, Time: 2 Months, Chance of Success: 80%, Reward: Colony better defended.

[] Niflheim Missile Batteries (Requires Chemical Missile Plant): Missile Batteries for your colony, allowing you to fire on enemy ships at greater range and accuracy than your CIWS system.

Cost: 5000 RU, 500 RU Upkeep, Time: 3 Months, Chance of Success: 60%, Reward: Colony better defended, can support actions at greater range.

[] Shipyard (Requires Drydock): A place for building ships.

Time: 3 Months, Cost: 3000 RU, Chance of Success: 80%, Reward: Allows the production of frigate and scout vessels.

[] Shipyard II (Requires Shipyard): A place for building larger ships.

Time: 3 Months, Cost: 3000 RU, Chance of Success: 80%, Reward: Allows the production of destroyers.

[] Shipyard III (Requires Shipyard II): A place for building even larger ships.

Time: 3 Months, Cost: 3000 RU, Chance of Success: 80%, Reward: Allows the production of cruisers.

[] Shipyard IV (Requires Shipyard III): A place for building ships loaded for bear.

Time: 3 Months, Cost: 3000 RU, Chance of Success: 80%, Reward: Allows the production of carriers and battlecruisers.
Diplomacy: Lieutenant Izumi is your most effective diplomat when it comes to aliens, though you're no slouch yourself in that department. (Choose One.)
SpoilerShow
[] Opening Relations: Until now you've kept the Loroi under guard and interacting with your military personnel only. Introduce them to your civilian population as the first step towards establishing a greater trust.

Cost: 0, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 60%, Reward: Your civilian populace begins to form a working relationship with the Loroi, ???

[] The Final Debate: In spite of everything going on, a final debate is being scheduled before next month's elections are held. You've been invited once more.

Cost: 0, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 70%, Reward: Debates moderated, political process goes forward, additional dice roll towards political parties depending on success.

[] The Common Folk: Between the upper echelons of your society and the military, you haven't had much of a chance to talk to the average people of your colony in a cordial and unofficial manner, and while everyone is working hard there's always a chance to converse with regular folk in the mess.

Cost: 0, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 70%, Reward: Boost in opinion

[] Improving Relations (Requires Loroi Trade > 1500): Your last exchange with your Loroi guests went quite well, but there are still things you don't know about one another and steps to take if they're going to do more than sit tight.

Cost: 0, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 100%, Reward: Boost in Loroi Opinion, Improved chances for Opening Relations, ???
Stewardship: Alex Cole and an economist, Samantha Nguyen, have worked out not only a way to easily tabulate your resources, but also what you can do to build your colony up. (Choose Two)
SpoilerShow
[] Shoring Up: There's an Old Spacer Saying; "If you're building a base in an area prone to meteor showers; don't.". You obviously didn't have all the info about where you set up shop, and knowing it's now prone to meteor showers, albeit one created by living things, there may well be things you can do to insure against all but superficial damage. Your engineers do note that this is somewhat untried territory though.

Cost: 4000 RU, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: ???, Reward: Structures potentially secured against all but the hardest of projected impacts.

[] Shearing Down: One of the bolder scientists has been talking with your mining foremen. They believe that if they improvised some mining charges and placed them at strategic places on Fenrir, then they could ensure that the surface will shatter rather than crack. He cannot guarantee its success though, and the number of charges it would take would put a crimp in your mining income.

Cost: Mining Income reduced by 50% until Turn 13, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: ???, Reward: Fenrir shatters rather than cracks, less chance of catastrophic damage.

[] Recycling Tanks: Recycling is a time honoured tradition of any successful colonisation. Why throw away anything that can be broken down and reused?

Cost: 500 RU, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 100%, Reward: +1 RU per Population

[] Hab-Complex Expansion (Small): Expand your hab complex and give your population some room to grow.

Cost: 500 RU, 125 RU Upkeep, Chance of Success: 100%, Reward: Hab Complex Expanded, Room for +250 People

[] Hab-Complex Expansion (Large): Expand your hab complex even more and give your population room to grow.

Cost: 1000 RU, 250 RU Upkeep, Chance of Success: 100%, Reward: Hab Complex Expanded, Room for +500 People

[] Agricultural Complex Expansion: An expansion to your existing Agri-Complex, this expansion will increase your food production capacity.

Cost: 2250 RU, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 90%, Reward: Agricultural Complex Expanded, Increased Food Production, +500 Food, requires 250 RU upkeep, requires two turns to begin production after completion.

[] Crop Diversification: You brought more than just potatoes with you. Introduce these crops to your agri-complex and diversify your foods. [IN PROGRESS UNTIL TURN 15]

Cost: Agricultural Yield Halved, Time: 8 Months, Reward: Diversified Crops, chance of crop failure falls to zero, colonists happy about not having a diet of 100% potatoes, once executed, does not occupy Stewardship slot.

[] Expanded Yeast Production: More yeast. More food.

Cost: 750 RU, 125 RU Upkeep, Time: 2 Months, Chance of Success: 90%, Reward: Yeast Production Plant Expanded, +500 Food.

[] Stabilisation Thrusters: Pimp your ride and roll on around the Briar Patch with these sweet 'air' breathing rockets. Allows you to move your home slowly with constant thrust, so long as it stays in the Briar Patch.

Cost: 2000 RU, 375 RU Upkeep, Time: 2 Months, Chance of Success: 50%, Reward: Able to move asteroid home (slowly) out of harms way.

[] Science Annex: A place for general scientific inquiry.

Cost: 5000 RU, 250 RU Upkeep, Time: 3 Months, Chance of Success: 80%, Reward: All Learning based actions gain an additional 1d100.

[] Biolab (Requires Science Annex): The biolab will handle all science biological, from alien physiology, botany and disease control, to genetic manipulation and vaccination production.

Cost: 5000 RU, Time: 2 Months, Chance of Success: 90%, Reward: More research options, Biology based science gains additional 1d100.

[] Physics Lab (Requires Science Annex): The physics lab will handle all science physical, allowing you to understand the new realm you find yourself in more fully.

Cost: 5000 RU, Time: 3 Months, Chance of Success: 90%, Reward: More research options, physics related research gainsa additional 1d100.

[] Mining Operations: Start mining operations on a nearby mineral rich moon with whatever you can scrape together.

Cost: 10,000 RU, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 100%, Reward: Mining operations commenced, +500 RU per turn, unlocks new options.

[] Mining Operations Expansion: Expand your existing mine on Niflheim for more glorious ore. Due to the depth of your current mine, further expansion will be a bit more expensive to undertake.

Cost: +500 Per Expansion (1500) Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 100%, Reward: +500 RU per turn

[] Industrial Autoplant: Unpack your industrial equipment and start churning out finished goods.

Cost: 500 RU, 150 RU Upkeep, Time: 3 Months, Chance of Success: 100%, Reward: +50% Base Income from Mining

[] Heavy Ore Refinery (Machine Shop): “Heavy Ore” is the spacer term for difficult to refine ores, often requiring specialised conditions or equipment to get at the good stuff.

Cost: 4000 RU, Time: 3 Months, Chance of Success: 70%, Reward: +50% Base Income from Mining

[] Centrifuges (Requires Heavy Ore Refinery): A requirement for the processing of nuclear material for power generation and nuclear ordnance.

Cost: 5000 RU, Time: 3 Months, Chance of Success: 90%, Reward: Fissile Materials available for use.

[] Fission Plant (Requires Centrifuges): Modern nuclear power is safe, energetic, clean, and only slightly radioactive.

Cost: 15,000 RU, Time: 4 Months, Chance of Success: 90%, Reward: +100% Base Income from Mining, limitless power for your colony, fission warheads

[] Fuel Refinery: Harvests the surrounding hydrogen rich atmosphere and converts it into delicious fuel for your ships to burn.

Cost: 2000 RU, Time: 2 Months, Chance of Success: 80%, Reward: Ship automatically refuels while at home.

[] Docks: Basic mooring and umbilicals for the L'Amour, allowing for ease of transport and for cargo and personnel and basic repairs.

Cost: 3000 RU, Time: 2 Months, Chance of Success: 80%, Reward: Allows for easy disembarkation of people and goods, Unlocks new Options.

[] Drydock (Requires Docks): More significant facilities for ship repair and modification, including an annex for smallcraft.

Cost: 3000 RU, Time: 3 Months, Chance of Success: 80%, Reward: Allows for major repairs and refitting of the L'Amour. Allows the production of smallcraft (Fighters, Corvettes) when researched.

[] Warehousing: Space to store spare parts, raw materials, and sensitive goods. Allows you to empty the L'Amour's cargo hold.

Cost: 1000 RU, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 90%, Reward: A place to store goods and cargo other than the ship.

[] Machine Shop: Allows for the reproduction and repair of basic tools and equipment.

Cost: 1000 RU, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 90%, Reward: Basic tool production, New options.

[] Machine Shop II (Requires Machine Shop): Allows for the reproduction and repair of more advanced tools to micron precision.

Cost: 2000 RU, Time: 2 Months, Chance of Success: 90%, Reward: Advanced Tool Production, Shipbuilding

[] Machine Shop III (Requires Machine Shop II): Allows the reproduction of precision scientific equipment and specialist equipment. Includes 3D printers for custom jobs.

Cost: 4000 RU, Time: 4 Months, Chance of Success: 80%, Reward: Scientific Tool Production, Shipbuilding

[] Skunkworks (Requires Machine Shop III): When confronted with impossible to understand supertechnology, the Skunkworks will be there to rip it apart and put it back together until they learn all its secrets.

Cost: 15,000 RU, Time: 6 Months, Chance of Success: 70%, Reward: Better able to analyse advanced alien technology, reverse engineering

[] Scrapping the Jumpdrive: Your Jumpdrive is useless here and consists of a lot of highly valuable materials that could be used elsewhere in the founding of your colony, though Volkova argues that it's made of precision parts that can't be easily reproduced.

Cost: 0, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 100%, Reward: +15,000 RU.
Intrigue: SOD SOP is to lay low, watch, and wait for anything that might require our attention. The Blue Rose Cell is vigilant and on standby. If something comes up, we'll contact you. (Choose One)
SpoilerShow
[] Every Step You Take: The Blue Rose managed to acquire high fidelity copies of the Loroi children's written materials while they were otherwise occupied with Christmas and New Years. They just need a primer on written Loroi from Lieutenant Izumi.

Cost: 0, Time: 2 Months, Chance of Success: 60%, Reward: Information on Loroi children.

[] Here There and Everywhere: The Blue Rose does not rig elections, no sir, that would be against the law! But elections can be influenced. The right word here, a whispered conversation there, an opinion voiced to the right people when primed by others... it all adds up, and in a population this small, easing people to your preferred views is as easy as pie.

Cost: 0, Time: 2 Months, Chance of Success: ???, Reward: Additional dice roll towards your preferred party
Learning: You have many skilled people at your beck and call just waiting to tear into the unknown and reveal its juicy, succulent knowledge. (Choose One)
SpoilerShow
[] Loroi Trade: Lieutenant Izumi wishes to continue learning Trade as fast as she can with the help of your new Loroi friends.

Cost: 0, Value Needed: 1311 / 1750, Difficulty: Easy (5d100 + 5d20 + Learning) Reward: Lieutenant Izumi increases her knowledge of trade, can teach others upon completion.

[] Urkuk: Considering how prolific the Urkuk are to the region, it may be prudent to have the Lieutenant learn what she can of Urkuk. Perhaps they'll go away if you ask them nicely?

Cost: 0, Value Needed: 230 / 750, Difficulty: Easy (4d100 + 4d20 + Learning), Reward: Lieutenant Izumi increases her knowledge of Urkuk, can teach others upon completion.

[] Jump Transit Analysis: Chief Engineer Volkova wants to look over the data for your last jump transit to see if your sensors picked anything up anything unusual, perhaps what brought you here in the first place? Perhaps a clue to getting home? She's not sure.

Cost: 0, Value Needed: 0 / 500, Difficulty: Medium (2d100 + Learning), Reward: ???

[] Loroi Biochemistry: Doctor Campos would like to do a more detailed study into Loroi biochemistry to determine with certainty what foods the Loroi can handle as well as derive what nutrients they require to fully recover from their ordeal in addition to what medicines they're able to consume.

Cost: 0, Value Needed: 195 / 650, Difficulty: Medium (2d100 + Learning), Reward: Knowledge of what is and is not toxic to Loroi biochemistry.

[] Slave Collar: Chief Volkova and a number of scientists want to look into how the slave collars removed from the Loroi work.

Cost: 0, Value Needed: 25 / 50,000 (DC 90), Difficulty: Almost Impossible (1d100 + Learning, requires roll of over 90 to succeed), Reward: Knowledge of the inner workings of the collar, ???

[] Drone Design: Some of your civilian engineers want some time to continue designing those sensor drones they proposed to you.

Cost: 0, Value Needed: 64 / 500, Difficulty: Hard (1d100 + Learning), Reward: Disposable sensor drone capable of extending your sensor range.

[] Jump Sickness Research: Dr. Campos research into jump sickness has the potential to eliminate it in your population. All he needs is time.

Cost: 0, Value Needed: 819 / 5000, Difficulty: Easy (4d100 + Learning), Reward: Jump sickness penalty removed.
Personal: Months of trials and tribulations have finally come to an end and you now have a small modicum of spare time. Spend it wisely. (Choose None)

{Currently Locked Out}
SpoilerShow
[] Spending Time with Commander O'Malley: Commander O'Malley has been your XO for some time and you trust her implicitly. Talk shop with her on how best to proceed from here on out.

Cost: 0, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 80/50/20%, Reward: +1/+2/+3 Martial, Increased Closeness with O'Malley.

[] Spending Time with Lt. Cole: Lt. Cole has done a phenomenal job of managing supply chains and shuttle schedules. Just how the hell does he manage that?

Cost: 0 Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 70/40/20%, Reward: +1/+2/+3 Stewardship, Increased Closeness with Lt. Cole.

[] Spending Time with Chief Engineer Volkova: The chief is a miracle worker with all things technological. Not so much with people. That doesn't mean you can't learn anything from her, and thanks to your time on the Centaur, you're as handy with a wrench as she is.

Cost: 0, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 70/40/20%, Reward: +1/+2/+3 Learning, Increased Closeness with Chief Engineer Volkova.

[] Spending Time with Colonel Pierce: Colonel Pierce has suggested that you undergo the same anti-interrogation training that his marines go through. He does not promise to be gentle.

Cost: 0, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 70/40/20%, Reward: +1/+2/+3 Intrigue, Increased "Closeness" with Colonel Pierce.

[] Spending Time with Lieutenant Izumi: Rumour has it that Lieutenant Izumi has the best tea set in the colony. Put that rumour to the test, and get to know your Lieutenant a bit better to boot.

Cost: 0, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 100/60/20%, Reward: +1/+2/+3 Diplomacy, Increased Closeness with Lieutenant Izumi.

[] Spending Time with Doctor Campos: Dr. Campos would like to perform a routine physical exam whenever you have the time to spare.

Cost: 0, Time, 1 Month, Chance of Success: 80/40/10%, Reward: +1/+2/+3 ???, Increased Closeness with Dr. Campos.

[] Spending Time with Spear: Spear is the leader of the Loroi and is the only one of them that speaks, making her an important point of contact. Get to know her better.

Cost: 0, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: ???, Reward: ???, Increased Closeness with Spear.

[] The Lost Souls: Are there other humans out there? Since the jumpdrive was invented, quite a few ships have disappeared, never to be seen again. Could they have wound up here? Could there be a successful human enclave out there? Do some research and try to figure out what the odds are.

Cost: 0, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: ???, Reward: List of ships likely to have misjumped before you.
I believe everything should be there, though I may have missed something.

<< Turn 9 The Fenrir Emergency || Turn 9 The Best Laid Plans >>
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Hmm...

Can we remove the hit to our mining income if we build an ordinance plant before turn 13?

50% less mining income for 4 turns is rather painful after all.

joestej

Post by joestej »

dragoongfa wrote:Hmm...

Can we remove the hit to our mining income if we build an ordinance plant before turn 13?

50% less mining income for 4 turns is rather painful after all.
Probably not? Razor said that as we get closer to Whale Day Fenrir will become more and more unstable, and that our civilians won't be fond of the idea of trying to crawl on it. By the time we get the plant up and charges built Fenrir will be in a bad way. Still, Razor gets the final call on whether it's a viable plan or not.

Personally my thoughts go like this:

Martial: Colonial Point Defense Mounting. L'Amour can dodge, the colony can't. Whalers of the Sky would be nice so we can know more about what's coming, but I think it will take too long.

Diplomacy: I'm torn a bit here, but I'm leaning toward The Final Debate. We don't have enough points in Trade to bond with the Loroi, and this is our last chance to meddle with politics.

Stewardship: Not touching this one, too much math required to figure out how to make our budgets balance with all the new expenses and penalties.

Intrigue: Every Step You Take. We're already doing politics with our Diplomacy. Sneaky elfy spy time!

Learning: I think Loroi Trade may be the best choice here. We need it to move things forward with the kids, and none of the other projects will be done in time for them to be useful.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I was thinking about building it at turn 10 and thus alleviating the mining malus in turn 11 instead of 13.

I will look into the plan once I get an answer about the ordinance plant; too much stuff rely on our mining income as it stands.

I also lean towards the choices that joestej is leaning although an other quick question:

Is the 60% roll chance of 'Every step you take' the same way like our stewardship rolls? I.E. Will get the knowledge eventually if we fail a roll at one of the two turns?

joestej

Post by joestej »

dragoongfa wrote:I was thinking about building it at turn 10 and thus alleviating the mining malus in turn 11 instead of 13.

I will look into the plan once I get an answer about the ordinance plant; too much stuff rely on our mining income as it stands.
Doesn't seem likely, I'm afraid:
Razor One wrote: At the rate Fenrir's silicon shell is thinning, they surmise that it will crack open and release whatever is inside by the end of next month (Turn 10), possibly sooner.
Since Whale Day happens at the end of this turn, by the time we get the Ordinance Plant running we won't have time for Shearing Down.

Frankly I think the best option would be to just scrap the bomb idea and trust that our lasers/fortifications will be enough to protect us. If things go REALLY bad we can use all our Omake bonuses to add 30 to the asteroid roll, which will hopefully be enough to avert a worst-case scenario.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

Hmm, I'm a little confused. How many units of resources \ science do we have?
And the amount of food even to know about...

I do not think that expand the mass production of missiles makes sense. Missiles are expensive and require a large production capacity for mass production. I think the best bet on gun technology.

The second point is probably the best defense is still mounted on the base, in case the same local fauna or small comets.

Shipyard need at least one, albeit only to repair the shuttle \ ship.

Cribs also did not interfere, the more they will be needed soon.

Loroi probably already can socialize, but with an escort, there was no any unpleasantness. So much time to sit locked up anyone get bored. And the Trade language training does not hurt to introduce, in the end have to communicate with it's neighbors, it is better to start now.

In the debate, too, need to go, well, listen whalers not hurt, can it sensible talk. Would be enough time...

Workshops and laboratories at least semblance of a must, and mine is better to start to dig a new one, the old mine using in parallel to develop. The engine is better to dismantle, saving scheme. In the current environment, it is all the same not be repaired and is not used. And attempts to go back it will be possible to start when the colony is firmly back on track.

In the short term I would probably concentrate on the elimination of "jump sickness", as it severely reduces the efficiency of the population, and it is unlikely the children will benefit. Then go study of Trade language, Loroi biochemistry and aggressive natives. Everything else in my opinion is still less of a priority.

P.S. Sorry for my bed English, if there are errors.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

joestej wrote:
dragoongfa wrote:I was thinking about building it at turn 10 and thus alleviating the mining malus in turn 11 instead of 13.

Doesn't seem likely, I'm afraid:
Razor One wrote: At the rate Fenrir's silicon shell is thinning, they surmise that it will crack open and release whatever is inside by the end of next month (Turn 10), possibly sooner.
Since Whale Day happens at the end of this turn, by the time we get the Ordinance Plant running we won't have time for Shearing Down.

Frankly I think the best option would be to just scrap the bomb idea and trust that our lasers/fortifications will be enough to protect us. If things go REALLY bad we can use all our Omake bonuses to add 30 to the asteroid roll, which will hopefully be enough to avert a worst-case scenario.
You misunderstood, I mean using the ordinance plant to replace the explosives that we will use now. Not wait for the ordinance plan to be built, then blowing up the asteroid.

joestej

Post by joestej »

dragoongfa wrote: You misunderstood, I mean using the ordinance plant to replace the explosives that we will use now. Not wait for the ordinance plan to be built, then blowing up the asteroid.
Ah, I see. Yeah, that's a possibility. Still, not sure if the expense would be worth the cost. If we forgo the bombs in favor of extra PD, we don't take any extra mining penalties and would have an extra Stewardship action to use as we please. We also don't know if the bombs will work: "Chance of Success: ???" does not exactly fill me with confidence.

All in all it seems like a lot of effort just to make sure sure we can't get a Worst Case.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

If my failures in tabletop RPGs taught me anything is that being paranoid with the rolls is NEVER wasted effort.

Personally I want to go with the explosives and base PD combo. The strengthening is expensive and also has an unknown outcome; from a hard sci-fi perceptive I think that lots of smaller debris are more manageable than trying to strengthen existing structures.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

dragoongfa wrote:If my failures in tabletop RPGs taught me anything is that being paranoid with the rolls is NEVER wasted effort.

Personally I want to go with the explosives and base PD combo. The strengthening is expensive and also has an unknown outcome; from a hard sci-fi perceptive I think that lots of smaller debris are more manageable than trying to strengthen existing structures.
If my numbers are right, Recycling Tanks + Autoplant on turn after this seems appropriate, then keep chugging out mine expansions. That 4000 cost and -50% for three turns are killers, but as long as the only actions that take resources after this turn are Recycling Tanks, Autoplant, and Mining Expansion, I think the budget will hold until the mining production recovers. Note that I actually ran with a non-possible case: light ore refinery disabled for a turn, AND Childrens creche: I'm thinking it's one or the other, due to time constraints. Regardless, recheck the scenario.

Also, I really suggest dropping Shoring Up from consideration. It's just too expensive, and it's utility isn't convincing.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I consider the strengthening too expensive as well at the moment; for now I will trust the PD and explosive comb backed by a +30 roll bonus.