Outcast Quest [Updated 10/10/18 - Turn 14]

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

anamiac

Re: Outcast Quest

Post by anamiac »

250 * 5 = 1250

joestej

Post by joestej »

alpha wrote:Shoring up will be useful in the future, but I feel that the PD Lasers can take care of everything if we prevent a worst case scenario.

I think that the L'Amour should be able to cover everything.

Vote:

[X] The Final Debate
[X] Loroi Trade
--Followed by Loroi Biochemistry once we get the Science Annex

Still undecided on Military/Stewardship/Intrigue. I'm probably not going to go with Shoring Up though.

Questions for those that can answer:

Can we shore up later? It seems useful...
How much do we get from the Light Ore Refinery anyways?
What happens in case of a overload?
Shoring Up is definitely not a good idea right now, too much expense for too little gain, but I fail to see why it wouldn't be an option later if we wanted to try it. Honestly though, it might not ever be a cost-effective idea, since for the cost of reinforcement we could probably get drones or other defenses so we don't get hit in the first place.

The damage caused by an overload would probably vary based on the roll. Best case we'd probably lose our lasers until we invested the time to fix them. Worst case we lose them permanently, or wind up crippling the entire ship.

The end results for both PD options appear to be the same (an extra attack roll against incoming asteroid bits), but the Colonial one is more reliable and expensive. The Collective must decide whether the risk of burnout on our only existing weapons is worth the 1250 we'd save, I can't make that particular call.
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

anamiac wrote:250 * 5 = 1250
Only one answer to such a fail...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6_J8oC_c1g

EDIT: Updated Head Plan which gives priority to CIWS and Preparations for the expedition:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

dragoongfa wrote:Hmm...

Can we remove the hit to our mining income if we build an ordinance plant before turn 13?

50% less mining income for 4 turns is rather painful after all.
I'll allow that since in-universe it makes sense that your ordnance plant would be able to replace the mining charges given the nature of what's produced there.
Tamri wrote:Hmm, I'm a little confused. How many units of resources \ science do we have?
And the amount of food even to know about...
You can find your current budget and resources Here.

Your science totals are on the first page, Here, though I may simply move that over to the google sheet since it'll make the bookkeeping a bit more streamlined.

I do not think that expand the mass production of missiles makes sense. Missiles are expensive and require a large production capacity for mass production. I think the best bet on gun technology.
The missiles slated for production are in the first tier; basic chemical missiles with simple tracking systems. Relatively cheap and easy for the manufacturing tech of 2150's humanity to produce. Mass drivers are very nice, don't get me wrong, but their range sucks in general and they'll be slow in particular here given the dense atmosphere.

Fission and Fusion based missiles are the next tier up, followed by anti-matter if you can get your hands on production. There are more exotic / advanced stuff that you could potentially research in the ultra-long term, such as singularity weapons, but that would be thousands of turns hence and likely only supportable with a population of billions and not the low hundreds.
Absalom wrote:Razor, need a reminder: can actions (e.g. military) be skipped for a turn or two?
I've never seen a situation arise where players would want to skip turns on an entire category of actions. If it's to do with expense, there is a zero cost action on Military sitting prettily for you there. If you manage to snag drones or free up your shuttles from cargo running (Docks + Warehouse) you'd unlock scouting actions into the various portions of the Briar Patch and possibly beyond, which ought to be fairly cheap and would yield for you interesting information.
alpha wrote:

On Shoring up, I don't see why not. Making your structures a bit more asteroid proof should make them a bit more resistant to bombardment, though if you get to that point you've probably screwed up somewhere.

Light Ore Refinery gives you a +50% bonus to your mining income. With your Mine + 5 Expansions, you're getting a base income of 3000. Plus the Light Ore, that's 4500, so +1500 as of right now. The more ore you rip out of the ground, the more benefit you get, but the more painful it is when its offline.

If your secondary PDL overloads, your ship takes damage and you may lose the laser as the spare parts you used to assemble it will be fried. This is in part a penalty for not having a drydock to do the necessary rewiring and power redistribution in a timely manner. If Volkova had three months, she could do it without one. This short a notice? She can kludge something together that will work, but safety is not guaranteed at all.

Your colony's powergrid is a bit more robust, but the drain it'll need to fire properly means you need to more or less shut something down. Hab and Agri Complexes are probably not something you'll want shut down and their draw on power is far smaller than your refinery, which is the major power hog of your colony so far. You could divert from attitude thrusters, but they're what's going to keep your colony from getting egged.

If you want, I can make that an option. If you want to maintain your resourcing operations at full capacity, you can make do with an increased amount of debris heading your way instead of rotating your colony to the safest possible position. If you can pull it off you'd be able to eat your cake and have it too. If you can't, you may have to rebuild, potentially from (almost) scratch. High risk, high reward.
joestej wrote:
The damage caused by an overload would probably vary based on the roll. Best case we'd probably lose our lasers until we invested the time to fix them. Worst case we lose them permanently, or wind up crippling the entire ship.

The end results for both PD options appear to be the same (an extra attack roll against incoming asteroid bits), but the Colonial one is more reliable and expensive. The Collective must decide whether the risk of burnout on our only existing weapons is worth the 1250 we'd save, I can't make that particular call.
Damage to the ship caused by an overload would damage the following:

The secondary PDL
Power feeds leading to the secondary PDL
Possible fire damage to the lower decks
Worst case scenario: Secondary PDL explodes, causing hull damage

The feeds to your primary PDL are separate and rated for combat. While there is a spot for the secondary PDL and areas for power cables, coolant and the like, Volkova would need to work frantically to install them in time for combat. This would leave zero time for safety testing, but you'd benefit from effectively doubling your firepower.

The Colonial PDL is easier to install because your engineers won't be as constrained by ships systems and would be able to bring more men onto the project than you could on the ship since only so many people can work in the crawlspaces at once. You'd be able to run the proper safety tests with time to spare. The problem is that your colony runs off whatever power they can scrounge, mostly wind and chemical energy, whereas your ship has a nice and powerful fusion reactor.

Colony and Ship mountings are both valid actions. Ship mounting doubles your mobile firepower at a risk, Colony mounting allows your colony to defend itself in case the L'Amour lets a few slip through at the cost of resource production. Each one carries its own risks, its own rewards, and variations on how to approach the problem you're up against.

I'll see about putting the survey up in about 24 hours, assuming the Christmas hordes don't utterly destroy me at work tomorrow. If you guys need more time to think, consider and plan, I'll delay.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

@Razor currently there are 4 mine expansions which brings the mine total to 2500, 3750 with the ore refinery.

Note: My x5 on my build plan is to highlight how many times I have to multiply 500 in order to get the base mining income.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

You built a mine in Turn 2.
You expanded that mine on turns; 3, 5, 6, 8...

Dangit, even I can miscount.

I must now commit Sudoku.

SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

joestej

Post by joestej »

Razor One wrote: Damage to the ship caused by an overload would damage the following:

The secondary PDL
Power feeds leading to the secondary PDL
Possible fire damage to the lower decks
Worst case scenario: Secondary PDL explodes, causing hull damage

The feeds to your primary PDL are separate and rated for combat. While there is a spot for the secondary PDL and areas for power cables, coolant and the like, Volkova would need to work frantically to install them in time for combat. This would leave zero time for safety testing, but you'd benefit from effectively doubling your firepower.

The Colonial PDL is easier to install because your engineers won't be as constrained by ships systems and would be able to bring more men onto the project than you could on the ship since only so many people can work in the crawlspaces at once. You'd be able to run the proper safety tests with time to spare. The problem is that your colony runs off whatever power they can scrounge, mostly wind and chemical energy, whereas your ship has a nice and powerful fusion reactor.

Colony and Ship mountings are both valid actions. Ship mounting doubles your mobile firepower at a risk, Colony mounting allows your colony to defend itself in case the L'Amour lets a few slip through at the cost of resource production. Each one carries its own risks, its own rewards, and variations on how to approach the problem you're up against.

I'll see about putting the survey up in about 24 hours, assuming the Christmas hordes don't utterly destroy me at work tomorrow. If you guys need more time to think, consider and plan, I'll delay.
Ah, less catastrophic than I thought. Okay then!

Now that we know Ordinance would eleviate the mining drain, I suspect we'll need to have a discussion about whether or not we want to blow Fenrir or just rely on lasers. I'm thinking if we do decide to use the charges on Fenrir we should go with extra lasers on the L'Amour to alleviate any extra hits to our resources. I'm usually more of a fan of layered defenses, but it's a much cheaper option than colonial defenses.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Personally I am thinking of using this as an opportunity to install laser PD on the colony, the CIWS is all well and good but if it is backed by a PD laser we will have greater firepower at home for when we leave for the expedition.

Then there is the fact that the explosives aren't really a certainty at this point, they may shatter the egg but they may not work at all. We could use our +30 points on the roll in order to guarantee a success but we don't know if it is applicable on this roll.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Razor One wrote:
dragoongfa wrote:Hmm...

Can we remove the hit to our mining income if we build an ordinance plant before turn 13?

50% less mining income for 4 turns is rather painful after all.
I'll allow that since in-universe it makes sense that your ordnance plant would be able to replace the mining charges given the nature of what's produced there.
Good to know.
Razor One wrote:
Absalom wrote:Razor, need a reminder: can actions (e.g. military) be skipped for a turn or two?
I've never seen a situation arise where players would want to skip turns on an entire category of actions. If it's to do with expense, there is a zero cost action on Military sitting prettily for you there.
Good to know. I usually just throw out suggestions, so it's been a while since I voted.
Razor One wrote:
alpha wrote:

On Shoring up, I don't see why not. Making your structures a bit more asteroid proof should make them a bit more resistant to bombardment, though if you get to that point you've probably screwed up somewhere.
No good reason for this immediately presents itself to me, but maybe it would be useful as a stage in a process of turning the colony into a full-fledged space ship. Probably it would only make sense for beyond-dreadnought ship sizes, and would be more of a super-tanker or mobile shipyard than combat ship.
Razor One wrote:I'll see about putting the survey up in about 24 hours, assuming the Christmas hordes don't utterly destroy me at work tomorrow.
Retail? My condolences.

joestej wrote:Now that we know Ordinance would eleviate the mining drain, I suspect we'll need to have a discussion about whether or not we want to blow Fenrir or just rely on lasers. I'm thinking if we do decide to use the charges on Fenrir we should go with extra lasers on the L'Amour to alleviate any extra hits to our resources. I'm usually more of a fan of layered defenses, but it's a much cheaper option than colonial defenses.
I'd advise cracking Fenrir, and mounting the PDL spares on Niflheim. The L'Amour can probably just dodge, and the colony CAN deal with the resource cost, so it's not a problem: this is one of those cases where spending a bit of money is the correct choice. Ordnance Plant is somewhat expensive, but it's much cheaper than reinforcement (which we could pull off as an alternative, if we were fools) and promptly gets mining income back up. Besides, it was on the priority queue already.

... Except that we can't build it because we don't have Machine Shop yet. Right.

I recommend against leaving the majority of the PDL spares on the colony. At some point the colony will be able to gear up enough to produce them itself, but until then those are the ONLY spares available, and must be treated as a precious resource: because they are.

[X] Plan Feuding Lancers:
- [X] Colonial Point Defense Mounting
- [X] The Final Debate
----- Because apparently it's the last one.
- [X] Shearing Down
- [X] Recycling Tanks
----- Am I right in counting 750 RU per turn?
- [X] Every Step You Take
----- They got the info already, this is just interpretation.
- [X] Loroi Trade
----- Let's get above 1500 already.

Second turn:
- [X] Childrens Creche
- [X] Improving Relations
----- Assuming good results from Loroi Trade, else [X] The Common Folk
- [X] Mining Operations Expansion
- [X] Machine Shop
Blue Rose: ???
- [X] Loroi Trade
----- Unless maxed out, then [X] Loroi Biochemistry unless other options opened
- [X] Spending Time with Lieutenant Izumi
----- Unless Razor says "not yet"

Third turn:
- [X] Ordnance Plant
----- Let's not repeat our current scenario, yes?
- [X] Improving Relations
----- Surely by this point we can do this one?
----- Haven't checked math, might need to delay.
- [X] Industrial Autoplant
Blue Rose: ???
- [X] Loroi Trade
----- Unless maxed out, then [X] Loroi Biochemistry unless other options opened
- [X] Spending Time with Lieutenant Izumi
----- Unless it was done last turn, then [X] Spending Time with Spear

Guess I should check the math, huh?

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I think that we should focus at getting the Ordinance plant first at turn 10, saves us more RU and the creche is going to be next anyway.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Quick calculations say my plan takes us into the negatives on the third turn, so that's a no-go.
dragoongfa wrote:I think that we should focus at getting the Ordinance plant first at turn 10, saves us more RU and the creche is going to be next anyway.
Ah, but will the creche be done in time for the "event"?

Edited in: Incidentally, Recycling tanks should come before Fuel Refinery, since we probably won't need fuel that soon.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

The problem with the recycling plant is that from a turn to turn POV it doesn't give the same boost that one last mine exp does.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

Razor One wrote:
The missiles slated for production are in the first tier; basic chemical missiles with simple tracking systems. Relatively cheap and easy for the manufacturing tech of 2150's humanity to produce. Mass drivers are very nice, don't get me wrong, but their range sucks in general and they'll be slow in particular here given the dense atmosphere.

Fission and Fusion based missiles are the next tier up, followed by anti-matter if you can get your hands on production. There are more exotic / advanced stuff that you could potentially research in the ultra-long term, such as singularity weapons, but that would be thousands of turns hence and likely only supportable with a population of billions and not the low hundreds.

But the rocket is not the only engines \ warhead \ tanks. It is also a complex guidance system and sensors, which are the most complex of all the above. Uncontrolled, the missile has no significant advantages over the projectile for mass-drivers, as is much more expensive at about the same efficiency.

We can currently produce enough powerful and sophisticated electronics to create homing units?

Absalom, I think it would be better:

First turn:
Martial
- [X] Colonial PDL Mounting
Diplomacy
- [X] The Final Debate
Stewardship
- [X] Shearing Down
- [X] Industrial Autoplant(because the deployment would take 3 months)
Intrigue
Learning
- [X] Loroi Trade

Second turn:
Martial
- [X] Childrens Creche
Diplomacy
- [X] Improving Relations (Assuming good results from Loroi Trade, else [X] The Common Folk)
Stewardship
- [X] Machine Shop
Learning
- [X] Loroi Trade (Unless maxed out, then [X] Jump Sickness Research)

Third turn:
Martial
- [X] Ordnance Plant
Diplomacy
- [X] Improving Relations (Assuming good results from Loroi Trade, else [X] Opening Relations)
Stewardship
Intrigue
- [X] Here There and Everywhere (If by that time no other options. However, we can skip that turn 'D)
Learning

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Tamri wrote:
But the rocket is not the only engines \ warhead \ tanks. It is also a complex guidance system and sensors, which are the most complex of all the above. Uncontrolled, the missile has no significant advantages over the projectile for mass-drivers, as is much more expensive at about the same efficiency.

We can currently produce enough powerful and sophisticated electronics to create homing units?

Absalom, I think it would be better:

First turn:
Martial
- [X] Colonial PDL Mounting
Diplomacy
- [X] The Final Debate
Stewardship
- [X] Shearing Down
- [X] Industrial Autoplant(because the deployment would take 3 months)
Intrigue
Learning
- [X] Loroi Trade

Second turn:
Martial
- [X] Childrens Creche
Diplomacy
- [X] Improving Relations (Assuming good results from Loroi Trade, else [X] The Common Folk)
Stewardship
- [X] Machine Shop
Learning

Third turn:
Martial
- [X] Ordnance Plant
Diplomacy
- [X] Improving Relations (Assuming good results from Loroi Trade, else [X] Opening Relations)
Stewardship
Intrigue
- [X] Here There and Everywhere (If by that time no other options. However, we can skip that turn 'D)
Learning
The electronics needed to actually guide a rocket onto a moving target ain't that complicated; the technology has been there since the 1950s. A first tier machine shop of the 2150s (two full tech levels ahead) should be able to produce such basic electronics with ease and it is actually a pre-requisite for the ordinance plant.

I think that the machine shop should take precedent over the autoplant in this case, it will allow us to build the ordinance plant the very next turn which will negate the cost of the shearing down action which will bring us back to full RU production in turn 11.

Someone advised to put the recycling plant a bit higher, the numbers favor it if it is put down in turn 11.

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

Tamri wrote:
Razor One wrote:

The guidance and sensors necessary to get a missile to track and hit targets are old hat by the mid 22nd century. Versus the enemies you're expecting to fight, the Urkuk, chemical missiles will do the job just fine. Versus more advanced enemies, you'll have more trouble, since their chemical explosives won't do much damage and their targeting systems can and will be spoofed by enemy ECM.

More advanced missiles (Nuclear / Fusion, Antimatter et al) will carry more advanced guidance systems, proportional the resource investment into creating the missiles themselves, since them getting ECM'd is terribly annoying after all. There's also the implication that since you are producing nuclear warheads of the fission / fusion variety and above that your industrial base will have advanced far enough to be able to support both the industry necessary to create those weapons alongside the attendant guidance systems.

Chemical missiles are cheap, old tech, and easy to produce with the right industrial base. They're only seriously dangerous in stupendous numbers or against someone of vastly inferior technology, such as the Urkuk. Considering you're living in the atmosphere of a quasi-jupiter-like nebula though, they actually edge out over other weapons. Lasers and other beam weapons are severely attenuated by the atmosphere, and mass drivers are severely limited as well. While missiles suffer a bit too, their ability to jink and home in on targets, to say nothing of more extensive range over mass drivers, gives them the edge you need in your environment.

Unless you can figure out a way to weaponise the atmosphere, they're probably the best defensive mounting you can load onto your colony for some time short of ramming them with your colony outright.
SpoilerShow

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

dragoongfa wrote:
The electronics needed to actually guide a rocket onto a moving target ain't that complicated; the technology has been there since the 1950s. A first tier machine shop of the 2150s (two full tech levels ahead) should be able to produce such basic electronics with ease and it is actually a pre-requisite for the ordinance plant.

I think that the machine shop should take precedent over the autoplant in this case, it will allow us to build the ordinance plant the very next turn which will negate the cost of the shearing down action which will bring us back to full RU production in turn 11.

Someone advised to put the recycling plant a bit higher, the numbers favor it if it is put down in turn 11.
Yup, but on a small distance (20-100 km - wide space is not even a fire "in focus"). I don't think that the electronics and sensors capable of reliably capture and hold the target at the distance about 1 LS are so simple that they can be easily stamped on the base arms factory. In addition, the scheme requires at least, because I do not think that in the database there colonizer scheme for the production of high-tech weapons, which would require a minimum of workshops and the similarity of the design bureau.

I think it is better to change places with Shearing Down, if you want to combine drilling with bombs. In another case, it does not matter, but it will allow the installation Autoplant to finish in time for the end of the negative effect of SD, headroom allows the construction during this period.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Tamri wrote:
dragoongfa wrote:

Yup, but on a small distance (20-100 km - wide space is not even a fire "in focus"). I don't think that the electronics and sensors capable of reliably capture and hold the target at the distance about 1 LS are so simple that they can be easily stamped on the base arms factory. In addition, the scheme requires at least, because I do not think that in the database there colonizer scheme for the production of high-tech weapons, which would require a minimum of workshops and the similarity of the design bureau.

I think it is better to change places with Shearing Down, if you want to combine drilling with bombs. In another case, it does not matter, but it will allow the installation Autoplant to finish in time for the end of the negative effect of SD, headroom allows the construction during this period.
Shearing down has to be done now or never, the time limit ends with this turn.

We brought in the Data Hard Drives which should have plenty of schematics for mid 21st century chemical rockets just for historical posterity, as for the distance involved it doesn't really matter if gravity ain't an issue. The biggest limitation of modern rockets ain't the distance involved but gravity and aerodynamics. Most of the acceleration of modern rockets is eaten up by the 1G of gravity, missiles fired from Niflheim will have a far easier time lifting off and escaping the asteroid's gravity well.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

dragoongfa wrote:

We brought in the Data Hard Drives which should have plenty of schematics for mid 21st century chemical rockets just for historical posterity, as for the distance involved it doesn't really matter if gravity ain't an issue. The biggest limitation of modern rockets ain't the distance involved but gravity and aerodynamics. Most of the acceleration of modern rockets is eaten up by the 1G of gravity, missiles fired from Niflheim will have a far easier time lifting off and escaping the asteroid's gravity well.

Oh damn, I forgot. Then yes, you can.

Not "gravity and aerodynamics", but the dispersion of the signal that the atmosphere and the Earth is not flat plane. However, in these conditions, the second factor can be ignored. And the first will require quite sensitive sensors and a good system of target recognition. In principle, it is possible, the question is how daedal microelectronics we can do now, not at all. And the software will have to write, it is unlikely to have the same drives. And still need tracking stations that allow us (as well as missiles) to pinpoint and track enemy further than 1 LS (we have the same detection range is limited to 1 LS).

joestej

Post by joestej »

Tamri wrote:
dragoongfa wrote:

Oh damn, I forgot. Then yes, you can.

Not "gravity and aerodynamics", but the dispersion of the signal that the atmosphere and the Earth is not flat plane. However, in these conditions, the second factor can be ignored. And the first will require quite sensitive sensors and a good system of target recognition. In principle, it is possible, the question is how daedal microelectronics we can do now, not at all. And the software will have to write, it is unlikely to have the same drives. And still need tracking stations that allow us (as well as missiles) to pinpoint and track enemy further than 1 LS (we have the same detection range is limited to 1 LS).
We may be getting bogged down in the details again, guys. Remember it's a game. Regardless of whether in the real world we would need stuff you could pick up at a supply store or if it's so advanced the parts would only be found at CERN, all we care about right now is what the GM says we need. For chemical missiles that's an Ordinance Plant and a Chemical Missile Plant. If you want beyond visual range missiles after that, you can ask Razor exactly what structures and research we'd have to build to make it happen.

Either way, that's a question for tomorrow. Today, we've got asteroid problems.

Siber

Post by Siber »

Personally I'd love to just get on with the survey. If insufficient planning causes us trouble later, that'll be it's own kind of fun!
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod