Stellaris: 4X Grand Space Strategy (Paradox Interactive)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Dirty Yasuki

Stellaris: 4X Grand Space Strategy (Paradox Interactive)

Post by Dirty Yasuki »

I am somewhat surprised that there was no thread about this game. :shock:

The reveal:

Reveal coverage:

The website:
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/stellaris

The synopsis:
Stellaris
Grand Strategy on a Galactic Scale

Explore a vast galaxy full of wonder! Paradox Development Studio, makers of the Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis series presents Stellaris, an evolution of the grand strategy genre with space exploration at its core.

Featuring deep strategic gameplay, an enormous selection of alien races and emergent storytelling, Stellaris has a deeply challenging system that rewards interstellar exploration as you traverse, discover, interact and learn more about the multitude of species you will encounter during your travels.

Etch your name across the cosmos by uncovering remote celestial outposts, and entire civilizations. Will you expand through war or walk the path of diplomacy to achieve your goals?

Main Features

Discovery Events – Emergent Storytelling.
Deep & Varied Exploration.
Enormous procedural galaxies, containing thousands of planets.
Numerous playable species, each with their own traits and engineering styles.
Vast number of Unique Random Species.
Advanced Diplomacy system.
Ship Designer (even civilian ships can be customized).
Stunning space visuals.
Up to 32 player Multiplayer.

What is it? by a fan named George

Dev Diary explanation videos (also by George):
Dev diary 1-4

Dev diary 5-8

Dev diary 9-12

Dev diary 13-15

Polygon interview:

The reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/

Please discuss.

fredgiblet

Re: Stellaris: 4X Grand Space Strategy (Paradox Interactive)

Post by fredgiblet »

Interesting. I haven't played any of the other Paradox grand strategy games yet, though I've heard they're very good.

discord

Post by discord »

paradox games tend to be kinda special, i personally like a few of them, others.... not so much, for instance cant stand crusader kings cause the combination of family dating sim thingy and serious conquest just rubs me wrong.

edit: yes, gonna get it and try it, probably gonna love it.

NeoDarklight

Post by NeoDarklight »

Are you sure there aren't threads about it on Spacebattles or Sufficient Velocity? It seems like a game that would be heavily discussed on those forums.

EDIT: I just checked Steam and it's not available for purchase yet.

Siber

Post by Siber »

I love Crusader Kings 2 to death, but my experience with it has made me steer clear of all the preview footage of Stellaris. Not because I don't think I'll like it, but because I suspect it'll be so monstrously complicated that learning about it any way but hands on will be futile. :D I fully intend to get it, and hope it'll have interesting twists on the classic 4x formula. Being Paradox, I sort of hope it tosses the whole formula out and does completely new things, but it's not sounding like that's a fully realistic idea.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

Dirty Yasuki

Post by Dirty Yasuki »

NeoDarklight wrote:Are you sure there aren't threads about it on Spacebattles or Sufficient Velocity? It seems like a game that would be heavily discussed on those forums.

EDIT: I just checked Steam and it's not available for purchase yet.
Maybe they have threads about this on there, but I didn't find any threads about this in this forum so, I thought I'd share it here so we can start our own discussion.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I recall hearing somewhere that Paradox was making a space 4X game, but I don't recall it being mentioned here.

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Lets see. What was the last Paradox space game I played. Oh right, Sword of the Stars 2. Had a, uh, lasting after taste.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Sword of the Stars was developed by Kerberos; Paradox Interactive published it. Stellaris is being developed by Paradox Development Studio.

I haven't played any games by either developer, so I make no claims that one would be better than the other, just pointing out the distinction.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Swords of the Star 2 was just a disaster. I am a huge fan of SOTS1 which made me a little bit hesitant of getting pissed about the state of the game, which was slowly improved as time passed but Paradox pulled the plug from the money sink and the game is a half finished mess.

Petty, it had plenty of potential; at least I got it in a sale so the money I wasted wasn't much but damn, for me it was a bigger let down that ME3.

discord

Post by discord »

about sots2 according to legend paradox clearly stated 'take your time and get a finished product from the start, no worries we will float you' at which point kerberos rushed the job like bloody hell confusing the shit out of the paradox guys.

according to legend.

bastionsystems

Post by bastionsystems »

I scoured the Kerberos forums and they hired a far larger team than their budget could support, then begged additional money from Paradox and their investors and when they did not get that money the part of the team not willing to work for good will left taking their knowledge of the stuff they were working on with them. That made the project crash and burn.

I think they were far too ambitious from the beginning, you can't create a niche market game that will only run on top of the line machines, also the idea to put in as many races and techs as in SoTS Complete, something that took them 7 years with expansions and content patches to achieve. I would have been happy with a refined SoTS on a modern engine.

Paradox Interactive is famous for funding indie studios that sometimes accomplish amazing things but more often crash and burn and get canceled. But Paradox Studios are a very accomplished team with over 10 years of experience in making very good grand strategy games and have shown to be effective at creating a bare-bones working game and then iterating upon it with free updates and DLC until it becomes something very intricate and awesome.
But on the other hand their strength lies in creating historical games with their Clausewitz Engine that may not be flexible enough for a space empires game.

Dirty Yasuki

Post by Dirty Yasuki »

bastionsystems wrote: But on the other hand their strength lies in creating historical games with their Clausewitz Engine that may not be flexible enough for a space empires game.
I wonder if Paradox is making this game with a new engine? That would be sick. :mrgreen:

Dirty Yasuki

Post by Dirty Yasuki »

Unique planetary story quest events

Ship design types and customization