3d Texture

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Karst45

3d Texture

Post by Karst45 »

heya.

Since i restarted doing 3d modeling. i was wondering if you had some nice texture (or real good advice on how to do them) for space ship hull. Am currently working on a huge Colonial ship. Tried some UMW unwrapper but with 3ds max it not user friendly. so so far my texture have been mostly; "take a metal looking texture and apply it everywhere"

Anyway if you happen to know or have some good ship hull texture (with bump gradient though i can mod them with ease) i would like that.

on that: more Forum test!

will post that on the other forum too since there more people there :)

icekatze

Re: 3d Texture (bump)

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

If you need to unwrap a texture, I recommend exporting the file and opening it up in wings 3d. Wings is a free 3d modeling program that unfortunately never caught on, but its UV unwrapping abilities are phenomenal.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

If you need to unwrap a texture, I recommend exporting the file and opening it up in wings 3d. Wings is a free 3d modeling program that unfortunately never caught on, but its UV unwrapping abilities are phenomenal.
can it handle 3ds max file? and if so how?

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

It doesn't have a lot of importer options, but it does handle .3ds, .fbx and .obj

Unwrapping works like this: you tag the model's surfaces with different colors and when you are done it can unwrap each color area separately (using one of several different methods), so if you've got a little greeble sticking out, you just color it something else and it wont deform any of the surrounding UVs.

I only wish I had known about it when I was learning to unwrap models in Maya... man what a pain that was.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

yeah maya supposed to be nice to unwarp, unfortunatly most of the time when i unwarp it like a cumbled ball of vertex. i tryed all they said (even the section thingy) but still have a hard time mastering that. ill try it again later

Siber

Post by Siber »

I'll second the recommendation of Wings, But I warn you that it takes a lot of trial and error at first to figure out even what you need from a good unwrapping.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod