Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Master of Orion 

Post Re: Master of Orion
Suederwind wrote:
I have read some reviews on steam that were less than favorable. Are there really starlanes and no turn based combat now?.

That is accurate. Not a game-killer for me, and in the case of real time probably preferred. In my time playing MoO2, large battles became a huge chore

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:48 am
Site Admin

They have announced a DLC that includes some new races.

Gnolam

Trilarians

Antarans....

...and Elerians

Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:39 am
Profile WWW

That post reminded me that it's now out of EA and I should give it another spin, so I did this morning.

I now appreciate Stellaris a bit more than I did yesterday.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:45 pm

MoO2 Elerians looks much better in my opinion. This art resembles syreen from the Star Control 3 in some way.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:11 am
Site Admin

SVlad wrote:
MoO2 Elerians looks much better in my opinion. This art resembles syreen from the Star Control 3 in some way.

Yeah, I noticed that when they were making MOO3 as well; the artists seem to want to remember the Elerians being scantily clad like the Syreen, which they never were.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:25 am
Profile WWW

hi hi

I'm a little bit astonished by the materials used, or perhaps the one single material that appears to be used. To my knowledge, the new Master of Orion was made by a reasonably big studio. It's kind of strange that the outfits, props, and the skin textures all look like they're made from the same glossy material.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:38 pm
Profile WWW

icekatze wrote:
hi hi

I'm a little bit astonished by the materials used, or perhaps the one single material that appears to be used. To my knowledge, the new Master of Orion was made by a reasonably big studio. It's kind of strange that the outfits, props, and the skin textures all look like they're made from the same glossy material.

Maybe it's not the same material, maybe high-gloss lacquer made from a finite resource is just in fashion in a head-blowingly big way, and the wars raging across the galaxy are being waged for control of the lacquer?

Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:41 pm
Site Admin

Well, I think it's a common "failing" (if I may use such a word) of 3D artists to want to make everything shiny.

Actually, the failing is not limited to 3D artists.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:46 pm
Profile WWW

I can't honestly say MoO3 is a bad game... but new design is just a cringefest for me.

Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:10 am

Arioch wrote:
SVlad wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that when they were making MOO3 as well; the artists seem to want to remember the Elerians being scantily clad like the Syreen, which they never were.

Actually, I'm not about their clothes. I'm about they are (IMHO) unpretty.
SC2 have a nice cartoonish style. In SC3 they've tried to make character 3d and more realistic, but failed into the "uncanny valley".
It looks like the same happens with MoO. The character modeled better, than in SC3, but it would be better to keep characters a bit cartoonishish (if not 2d drawn), and doesn't try to make a realistic 3d.

PS
The Stars in Shadow looks exactly like my mental image of ideal MoO3.

Last edited by SVlad on Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:40 am

icekatze wrote:
hi hi

The Wargaming is just a publisher. The actual developers are NGD Studios.
I've briefly scrolled through screenshots of their games and, unfortunately, they really looks not very skilled in the 3d modelling.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:49 am

That Elerian picture looks like it was taken from the SciFi version of a Wagner opera.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:55 am

Arioch wrote:
SVlad wrote:

Look at it this way: the Elerians clearly have a better wardrobe budget than the Trilarians or Antarans :P .

icekatze wrote:
hi hi

Spandex and plastics are the future!~~~ [cue cheesy echo effect]

Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2