[Fan Fiction]Calm Seas

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

Re: [Fan Fiction]Calm Seas

Post by Krulle »

On their way to "Neuwerk" or Hamburg directly, they surely will have plenty of time to find one for the blue Damsels-in-Distress....
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Suederwind wrote:Just one thing: saddly Hermelin does not have a cat aboard. :( But I like the idea of one of the Loroi meeting one. ;)
No cat? Oh well, at least the Loroi will have a meet&greet with a rat then. :o

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Well, I assume that Hermelin is a bit small for a cat. Its just 57,6m short. Those Gepard-class fast attack crafts really are tiny, so there is not enough space aboard for Hermelins version of Unsikable Sam.
But fear not, there might be possibilities in the future. ;)
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Zakharra

Post by Zakharra »

At the very least there should be some in port.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Just want to let you know, that Chapter 15 is in the works, it just takes a little bit longer than usual.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

So, finnaly, the next chapter is finished. :)

Edit: little rewrite and correction
Edit 2: Fixed a rather stupid typo, sorry for that one.
----------------------------------------------

Chapter 15: Touch

It took Antimony a while to understand why the humans seemed like they were affraid of some water, getting into the cabin. She had at first thought, that maybe something in the shuttles lifesupport system might have been broken, maybe something that regulated the airs humidity in the cabin. However, the amount of water pouring in clearly suggsted something different and she finally understood why the humans wanted everyone out of the shuttle: the water was coming in from the outside.

She had read about the various seas and oceans on Loroi planets. Especially on the three sisters worlds and Taben in particular. Yes she even had been in orbit around planets with a lot of water on their surfaces. However, Antimony had grown up on Mezan, a planet with huge desserts and no breathable air. She had never seen an ocean up close, walked on a planets surfaces without propper breathing equipment and she had to admit that even the thought about doing so, scared her.

Trying her best to hide her fears from the ever whatchfull Mizol, she helped the humans getting her crewsisters out of the shuttle. The water in the cabin had risen to almost the hight of her own boots by then. It was strange for her to observe how easily the human males could carry the injured female that she had talked with. She knew that their males were stronger and more muskulare than than their own, but seeing that was strange, nevertheless. However, her crewsisters were all awake now and while some were still shakey on their feet, no one had to be shamefully carried out of the cabin by a male. They managed to rescue some emergency rations, some medicine and a few sidearms before they were leaving, groupe after groupe.

Lightning and herself were the last aboard, as the Mizol asked her something she had almost forgotten:

"Trigger the selfdesruct sequence. I do not want our shuttle falling into the wrong hands."
"Is that not a bit excessive? We are in friendly space and the human could salvage it for us?"
"Thats exactly what I want to avoid..."

Antimony rushed back into the cockpit and activated it, setting the timer for the equivalent of a human hour. They safely wanted to get away from it and didn't know how far the human ship would be away. There could be the possibility to stop the countdown later, if the humans proved helpfull.

As the Mizol and herself left the broken shuttle, she expected to enternsome kind of umbical or some kind of docking area. But there was nothing. They just left the small airlock and stood on the hull. She should have expected that, but it was kind of a shock to her, as she understood that by a "ship" the humans meant no spaceship of any kind, just a ship on the water.

Antimony was confused by this. Then she could feel the warm sunlight on her skin, breath the salty, unfiltered air of this forreign planet and could even see something that looked like winged animals, flying in the sky above them. For a brief moment she could only gaze on that scenery. She had expected something much worse. However, being outside of any protective structure or hull made her feel nervous. A small distance away, she could then see the human ship, too. It was painted in some kind of grey and it looked rather small and primitive to her. In other words like nothing she had expected.

Still a bit confused, she watched as a smaller vessel, most likely an inflateable boat of some kind, came closer. Earlier, she had seen the human female leaving toghether with that male that supported her, but to her surprise, she seemed to have been waiting for her and the Mizol on the outside. A brief smile rushed of the face of the Fähnrich as she saw them comming out.

"Has everyone of your crew left?"
"Yes, we are the only ones left. I suggest we leave now as well, Fähnrich."

The Mizol answered before Antimony could think of the proper words. This could have been the reason for her spoken name: Lightning. 
As the human vessel reached the shuttle, the two human males steering it, helped the Fähnrich aboard, togehter with her helping companion. Then it was their turn, which proved more difficult than Antimony had expected. The waves on the water of this alien sea were moving the the small vessel around. Under Lightnings watchfull eyes, she tried her best to get aboard, which was easier said than done.

Altough the vessel had been secured by a rope to the shuttles hull, it moved around quite a bit, form left to right, up and down. So she waited for a moment, till the shuttles hull and the vessel were close togehter. But, as she had put her left foot on the side of the vessel, it moved again in a different direction. She had not expected that.

For a moment, she thought she would fall backwards into the gap between the vessel and the shuttle, down into the sea and drown. Swimming was not something they had teached her on Mezan.

In a surpisingly quick motion, Fähnrich Ludovski moved forwared and grapped her hand. Antimony could not surpress her surprised feelings. She knew that Lightning would sense that and would be dissatisfied. However, much more surprising to her was the look on the Fähnrichs face. Ludovski didn't say anything, just stared into her eyes for a while, before she pulled her into the vessel. Antimony relaxed her grasp as soon as she could. But the human female just looked at her, as if she had just seen one of the spirits, guarding this sea.

"I am very sorry, Fähnrich Ludovski. I am not used to such vessels."

However, she didn't answer and just starred at her own hand, that had touched Antimonys.
Last edited by Suederwind on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Did she feel something?
Kind of buzzing, or so?

Sleep well
in your Bettgestell!

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Krulle wrote:Did she feel something?
Kind of buzzing, or so?
Spoilers! 8-)
Krulle wrote:Sleep well
in your Bettgestell!
Thanks! You, too!
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Thought so.
"But the human female just looked in her, as if she had just seen one of the spirits, guarding this sea."
"looked in her" sounds much like Fähnrich Ludovski is able to look into the thinking world of the Loroi without trying while touching.
I am so looking forward to her side of the story.

(I think you meant "looked at her" (looking in = reinsehen; looking at = ansehen).)

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Yeah, thats a typo. Sorry.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

"I've been bad, I've been good, Tallahassee.. hollywood!"
"I ain't asking for much... umhummm."

"I said lord take me down town.. I'm just looking for some tush {Touch!}"

:)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Sorry to keep you waiting, next part is in the work. ;)
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

So, finally its done. Took ages to write, rewrite, delete and write again. I am still not happy with it, but I don't want to keep you waiting any longer.

Edit: Added a few lines.
-------------------------------------------

Chaper 16: Observations

After a while, Heinemann could see them coming out of their craft and he got his first look on these strangers with his binoculars. A lot of the crewmembers came to the upper deck, too,  to see what was going on. Most of them were ordered to do so, anyway, and waited for things to come.

Even Oberleutnant Müller became curious and visited the bridge again. Both of them standing side by side, observing how these strangers were boarding the small dhingy and how it was underway, back to the Hermelin, again.

Although Maat Geißler had suggested that he came over and take a look for himself, he decided to be cautious. He was the boats commanding officer after all and this was no cliché TV show or movie.
A while after they had started to observe whats going on, the Oberleutnant asked the Kaleun:

"So... who are those guys? The smurfs?"

He couldn't help but start to grin because of that question and from the corner of his eye, he could see that the other members of the bridge crew had to do the same.
Nevertheless he hoped that this name wouldn't stuck.

"Well, according to Maat Geißler, they call themselfs "Loroi"..."
"Is that some form of acronym?"
"I am not sure."

"Do you think all of them have blue skin?"
"I am not sure."

"Do you think their hair is dyed?"
"Not sure..."

They then watched as the dhingy came closer and closer to their boat, loaded with those blue skinned, alien Loroi.

"Do you think they have some guys on their ship, too?"
"Not s.... what?"
"So far, all of them look like woman..."

The Kaleun looked at the Oberleutnant, as he still observed the dhingy with his binoculars and thought he was telling some kind of joke. But it became clear to him, that he wasn't. Geißler had said no word about men aboard of this strange craft and he could so far only see woman.

"Maybe... like in the old days... You know... woman and children first and so on...?"
"Wearing some form of bodyarmor?"
"...Just keep a close eye on them."
"With pleasure, Herr Kaleun!"

Müller replied with a broad grin on his face and went down to the others, who were waiting for their guests to arrive.

Meanwhile, the Loroi boarded the Hermelin and were welcomed by members of her crew, providing some first aid and water. That was the plan, but things got akward really quickly. While they did take the water offered to them, they refused any kind of first aid. Regardless how injured they were, they did't allow anyone of Hermelins crew close enough to help them. They even refused to let anyone of Hermelins crew help them aboard.

To the Kaleun, this was a very strange behaviour. Maybe they were indeed ill? Then he watched as some of them just starred at the sea in some kind of awe, while others just sat there, almost motionless. So maybe they were just disoriented? Or maybe they were some kind of blue skinned alien space elves that had never seen a sea with their own eyes? He could not decide which of those ideas was less possible.

He was so lost in thoughts, that he had totaly forgotten about the dhingy. The small vessel had already made its trip to that "Loroi" craft and was now on his way back again.

Quickly, he took his binoculars and took a look at who was aboard. To his relive, he could see Fähnrich Ludovski. Heinemann had to smile as he saw her sitting there, apparently alive and rather well. Except that her leg seemed to be injured, hopefully nothing serious. She seemed to be speaking with one of the two Loroi aboard. Her dialogue partner had dark violett hair and an enigmatic look on her face. 

The second Loroi looked rather unwell. She had long red hair, a pale blue-ish face and was leaning over the side of the dhingy, while Geißler seemed to talk to her. Her face became paler with every minute the trip to the Hermelin took and it looked to him, as if she was kind of seasick.

"Poor thing..."

He mumbled to himself and he had to think about Leutnant Becker again. Luckily, there was no more Labskaus on the menue for today.

Meanwhile on the dhingy:

Maat Geißler was wondering how long Fähnrich Ludovski could talk without breathing. She and the two "Loroi" were already talking when they arrived and just didn't stop. Okay, except that red haired one, that called herself Antimon. That poor thing said that she had never seen the sea, let alone sail on a boat.

She had trouble getting into the dinghy and Ludovski keeped her from falling into the sea. He had no idea what had happened, but suddenly, only the other Loroi, this Mizol Lightning, talked to her.

At first, the little red haired one still looked rather well and asked him a few things about the North sea, seagulls and finally the Hermelin. But then she became more and more quiet, as well as her face became more more pale with every minute their trip took.

"Um... Are you... well, Tozet Antimony?"
"Are those waves... normal?"
"Yes, thats not... unusuall. Are you... ok?"
"I am fine. I just... have to adapt to this movements... Is there some kind of stabilizer aboard?"

She had now closed her eyes and really didn't look that well anymore.

"No... There is no stabilizer aboard."

Geißler then thought for a moment about what he could do or say to help her.

"Just... don't close your... eyes. Turn around... look at the horizon. Focus on it.... That helps."

The red haired Loroi did as she was told and he came to her side. Geißler could easily tell that she was struggeling and so he gave her his flask.

"Here... drink something. Its just water... It might help, too."
"Thank you."

Antimon answered him, after taking a sip from his flask, with a rather low and soft voice. She still looked very pale and was now leaning over the side of the dhingy for some time.

"There is no... shame... in getting sea sick. Happens to the best of us, so... don't worry. Ok?"

The Maat tried to comfort her and put his hand on her shoulder. To his surprise, she slowly turned her head and looked at him for a long while, without saying anything. For some reason or another, she suddenly didn't look so strange and alien to him anymore. More like a vulnerable and pretty young woman. Somehow he had to smile as she starred at him, with her curious, deep blue eyes and after a brief moment she smiled back at him.

It were the words of Fähnrich Ludovski, that brought him back to reality, after what seemed like ages in some kind of wonderland.

"Maat Geißler, sind sie in Ordnung? Wir sind gleich da..."
Last edited by Suederwind on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

dapple26

Post by dapple26 »

And we're back ladies and gentlemen. I am looking forward to the loroi's reaction their situation once they better understand what is going on.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Yes, things are rolling again. Already working on chapter 17 and about 1/3 should be done.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

So, time for the next part. I hope you like it.

Made a few changes and added a few lines. Thanks Sweforce for your input! :)
------------------------------------

Chapter 17: Shy

Mizol Lennai Daza was not alarmed that the humans had a surface vessel nearby and not a spaceship. That showed her a lot of things without even asking a single question.

For example: This planet had to be inhabited by humans in some way; there was indeed a lot of water on this planet, otherwise a vessel like a ship would make no sense; and finally, the humans must have at least one settlement of some kind nearby, possibly a colony.

This all showed her, that this mission might not be a failure after all. More than that: it still could succeed. They just had to make contact to the human goverment and all would be fine. How she would explain the loss of their vessel was something she could think of on a later date.

Then she watched as Antimony tried to board the vessel and the human female had to safe her from falling over board. She had to hold herself back from yelling at the Listel cast member, as the human touched her. Lightning was not able to feel the human mind, but she could see in her eyes that this experience was some kind of a shock to her.

Antimony appologized quickly, but their conversation ceased, so she had to step in. This was too good an opportunity for gathering informations, to easily loose it. The human ambassador called this manover "talking about something else" and he always did it when he didn't want to talk about something personal, as far as she knew from Tempo.

"Fähnrich Ludovski, this vessel over there, some distance away is your ship?"
"Uhm... Sorry... I think I was absent for a moment, could you repeat your question?"

Direct contact to a Loroi, especially touching, could be awkward or even unpleasant to some alien species, as she knew. Especially if they were not used to such a mental contact or had not been prepared for what could happen. However, the human ambassador seemed to be immune to such things, so maybe human females were more sensitive to telepathy? This was something she had to investigate at some time.

As she repeated her question, the human female seemed to somehow have recovered from this unknow experience and she was able to answer her.

"Yes, thats out boat. The S73 Hermelin."
"A boat?"

It was hard for her to hide her amusement as she replied to her, at the same time, the small human vessel started to move to its mothership, the so called Hermelin.

"A boat, because vessels in our navy, up to this size, are called boats and not ships."
"I understand. Are you its commanding officer, Fähnrich?"

Lightning knew that the Fähnrich was most likely some kind of junior officer. However, her experience in diplomatic missions had teached her, that small compliments like this could ease non telepathic aliens and sometimes made them say more than they would like at first.
As she saw the alien female smile and blush a little, she knew that it would work on humans, too.

"No... I am just a Fähnrich, not a commanding officer. Hermelins commander would be Kapitänleutnant Heinemann. I would be too inexperienced for a command."
"I understand, Fähnrich. So, I assume you are in some kind of training?"
"Yes, thats a good way to describe it. I need to complete it to become a Leutnant, but that might still take some time."
"I am sure you will complete every trial that lies ahead of you."

Ludovski had to smile and blush again. She looked at the vessels floor for a brief moment. Then she looked up again and replied in a soft voce:

"Thank you!"

It was clear to her now, that the human female was indeed inexperienced, more than that, she was also shy and worse of all: uncertain. 
She somehow felt sorry for this young one. Many young Loroi warriors were similarly uncertain, when they first reached the front lines. They needed some time to adapt to serving on a warship. However, they would never show that so easily.
But everything she could do now was to revert back to plan A: talk about something else and by doing so, sthrengen their emotional band. So she smiled back at her and asked something different, as in the meantime they had come closer to the human "boat".

"So, what does "Hermelin" mean?"
"Well... It's the name of a small animal that attacks ruthlessly."
"I think... I understand. Are all of your 'boats' named like this?"
"Hermelin is a fast attack vessel..."
"...so, the name appears to be fitting."

Ludovski had to briefly smile after that comment and Lightning could now get a better look of that human "boat". It appeared to be rather small and the weapons she could see, as well as the sensors, appeard to be dated. 

Reports from the human wreck showed them, that they were at least a century behind them, by technological standards, but this was even further behind, almost primitive. Their smaller weapons seemed to be projectile based and peopelled by chemicals. The bigger weapons appeared to have been placed in various boxes and she remembered seeing something like that in a museum. An additional museum piece was mounted in front of the boat: some form of cannon from the days of old was placed there.

She could not help but wonder, why they would use such primitive weapons. The design of the boat also appeared to be less sophisticated than she had expected. Why were they not using something more sophisticated? Maybe they had crashed on some kind of backwater colony? She must find out what was ging on here.

After a few moments, she could remember something that might be an explanation: Back on the sisterworld of Taben, the Tennoin cast used old ships to prepare the dirals of younglings for their rite of passage. This could be a human equivalent and this young Fähnrich could be proof of that. Nevertheless it all somehow didn't feel right. She could't say exactly what it was or why she was feeling this way. It was just somethin in herself that made her feel, as if she had yet to discover the full extant of what was going on here.

Someone who didn't feel anything wrong was her fellow Listel. Lightning observed as she and the human that was called Geißler, couldn't stop starring at each other. It was a strange situation for her to understand, but as the red haired listel smiled at the human, she knew exactly what was going on. The happy emotions that she could sense radiating from her were just the final puzzle piece and there was nothing she could hide.

However, she decided not to step in and interrupt them. She was curious about what would follow and how the human male would react. It was interessting to observe, how the human male reacted to her.

As they had reached the Hermelin, Ludovski suddenly said something in her native tounge that she couldn't understand. But both, Antimon and Geißler looked at her and blushed. Maybe their males were not too different from their own?

They boarded Hermelin by a rope ladder on its side and they were finally reunited with their other crewsisters. A quite confused mental chatter from them could be sensed by Lightning. Teidar Gladius immideatelly stepped towards her, with a grumpy face, just as always.

"My Mizol, its good to see you back."
"Good to see you again, too. Whats going on?"
"The humans gave us water."
"Thats rather kind of them. Whats wrong?"
"I assume they wanted to administer some kind of first aid for some of our crewsisters. We refused."
"A good choice. It would be wise to not let them touch us, at least for now."
"Understood."

A confused look from Fähnrich Ludovski reminded her that the humans were not able to understand them using sanzai. For her this conversation must have seemed very confusing.

"Uhm... Is everything alright?"
"Yes, perfectly. Thank you for providing water to our crewmembers."
"No need to thank us. I just wanted to inform you that our commanding officer would like to see you."
"Then we should not let him wait. Show me the way."
Last edited by Suederwind on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

I understand that the loroi have some vessels even more primitive then the Hermelin, that is wooden sailing ships for the purpose of training and perhaps recreation. The survivors may draw the conclusion that the Hermelin is indeed a training vessel. This could even be true to some extent.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Sweforce, I like your idea and have to admit that I hand't thought about that possibility.
It would also fit rather well in the story, so I might change a few things or add that to the next (Loroi) chapter. I hope you won't mind.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Suederwind wrote:Sweforce, I like your idea and have to admit that I hand't thought about that possibility.
It would also fit rather well in the story, so I might change a few things or add that to the next (Loroi) chapter. I hope you won't mind.
Be my guest :)

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Thanks! :)
I added a few lines here and there. Also added your idea. ;)
Should be a better read now.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]