Fan Theories on How the Umiak can hide from the farseers

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

D-503

Re: Fan Theories on How the Umiak can hide from the farseers

Post by D-503 »

GeoModder wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:06 am
For all we know, Mezan orbits its star retrograde. :D
Hu? Not sure if that would be a stable system?
And i didn´t found anything in the Insider about that?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I think we have discovered some retrograde exoplanets, but as far as I know they're all "hot Jupiters;" they've been kicked out of their regular orbits but they're too massive to be ejected from the system. I think that the odds that a terrestrial-mass planet could get into and stay in a retrograde orbit close to the primary are not very high.

(No, Mezan does not have a retrograde orbit.)

Kelvandos

Post by Kelvandos »

Jumping in on this with my 2cents.

I cant remember which fan fic had it that Humanity had a common ancestor with Lori. That feared/was hunted by a Telepathic predator, hence us forming a mental block to it, to hide. It was survival for us back then. The Sora took that block and flipped it when they made the Lori and made the shield to a sword.

If the Umaki found this original Predator they could of studied it with the captive Lori and figured out the Lotai themselves. Either that or genetically modified themselves after studying Lori or humans.

This is all assuming they have never encountered any other human ships that went out scouting with/since Alex left.

D-503

Post by D-503 »

I don´t think the Umiak could have learned about humans Lotai AND develope some useful device in that short time. Even IF they catched another scout ship - this could have been only a few weeks ago.

And if they captured humans earlier in the war they would have been on our doorsteps in no time.

But they had years to experiment with Loroi prisoners. Even enough time for genetic experiments! Look on p190, the Loroi had numbers/ID-Codes tattooed on their foreheads, and one of them is definitely a child. Reminds me of the Nazis, they also ID-tattooed concentration camp prisoners.

Dahak

Post by Dahak »

D-503 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:40 pm
I don´t think the Umiak could have learned about humans Lotai AND develope some useful device in that short time. Even IF they catched another scout ship - this could have been only a few weeks ago.
Bellarmine, the Captain that Alex's ship was named after and her scoutship went missing, presumed misjumped decades ago, and I don't believe that was the only one that's gone missing. so there are possibilities for the Umiak to have had a scout ship for more than a little while.

D-503

Post by D-503 »

Dahak wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:56 am
Bellarmine, the Captain that Alex's ship was named after and her scoutship went missing, presumed misjumped decades ago, and I don't believe that was the only one that's gone missing. so there are possibilities for the Umiak to have had a scout ship for more than a little while.
THAT could be a gamechanger then.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

Decades, on the other hand, is too long. If the Umiak found human abilities interesting or useful, they would have invaded human space long ago. More subjects means faster research.

D-503

Post by D-503 »

Demarquis wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:39 am
Decades, on the other hand, is too long. If the Umiak found human abilities interesting or useful, they would have invaded human space long ago. More subjects means faster research.
Valid point.

Unless they´re already among us.
Call Chris Carter - he got it wrong, the Syndicate works with Bugs, not Bees... :mrgreen:

scnr.

QuakeIV

Post by QuakeIV »

A lone ship might suffice, since they have been known to clone aliens.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

D-503 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:03 pm
Dahak wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:56 am
THAT could be a gamechanger then.
Seems like Arioch explained the deeds of Ms. Bellarmine somewhat different...