210 Far-sensing?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

asaenvolk

210 Far-sensing?

Post by asaenvolk »

asaenvolk

Re: 210 Far-sensing?

Post by asaenvolk »

One has to wonder if Alex is developing far-sensing or if he is developing the ability to piggy back... ether way. Then there also seams to be an attempt to possibly erase the fact he and the rest of his ship ever existed.

projekcja

Post by projekcja »

But what of the prophet's reason? Are they to be arranged to have an accident as well? Also, can there be a conspiracy to hide the fact that humans exist, in a society of telepaths that cant really hide their thoughts from one another?
And what's the plan - to send a few trusted ships to commit genocide and wipe the 6 human worlds (thank you Alex for telling how many there are) before anyone else discovers a human? Wouldnt the information leak through telepathy?

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

I said some evidence, not out and out proof. Plus with out bodies and physical evidence, the Prophet's Reason could be brushed off as making things up.

DCR

Post by DCR »

asaenvolk wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:57 pm
One has to wonder if Alex is developing far-sensing or if he is developing the ability to piggy back... ether way. Then there also seams to be an attempt to possibly erase the fact he and the rest of his ship ever existed.
I like the drama that piggy backing brings. Kinda sorta Totally upset about the Umiak getting human bodies.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I am pretty sure that Alex is somehow sensing everything that Fireblade is broadcasting and is even picking up the mental connections and deductions made up in her mind/the mental network.

I am certain that Fireblade is broadcasting the situation to the others in order for them to be ready to act immediately if the situation demands it; she senses the Umiak and she also picks up the basic surface thoughts of those near enough. They are carrying rectangular objects, they Umiak may have opened them and peaked inside but she already knows what the rectangular objects contain so her mind makes the connection immediately and broadcasts the information as well.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Yeah, I think piggy-backing is what we're seeing. My guess is that he's only ever 'heard' from Fireblade when it comes to sanzai, simply because of her power level. Using the hearing analogy, he's mostly deaf and she happens to be able to shout very loudly. The difference now is that, in addition to Alex being in a very zen-like trance, Fireblade is actively sending a bunch of different information... perhaps acting as a network hub for the local Loroi.

While the co-location of all human-related and human-'contaminated' items and people is a bit suspicious, it also makes sense from a pragmatic standpoint, when looking at it from Stillstorm's view. She has no idea what she may have stumbled into, but she recognizes that it is beyond both her pay grade, and her capability to handle in a meaningful manner. If Alex and his ship are an Umiak trick, she helps herself by getting everything off the Tempest. If they are legitimate, it's her duty to pass everything up the chain of command. Keeping what could be valuable artifacts aboard a warship currently engaged in a hit-and-run battle (even before the gatecrashers came calling) makes no sense.

True, this is a convenient way to get rid of everyone, but if Stillstorm truly wanted that, she could have airlocked Alex and all his crap long before her strike group even arrived at the resupply point without wasting valuable members of her crew.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

I'm shocked to find out that Outsider is turning out to be a re-rendition of "Aliens on a shuttle", and that the "I've had it with these goddamn aliens on this goddamn ship" scene has already occurred.

As for human-'contaminated' people, it doesn't really seem like it, since she'd have to also send away her active bridge crew. Perhaps it's not people who've been in contact with humans, but rather people who've been intransigent in how to deal with alex. That is, everyone who publicly or emphatically opposed her demand of shoving the survivor out the airlock.

From a pragmatic point of view, it could make some sense to send everything away on prophets reason even earlier. Though maybe they haven't been in contact with that ship since just before the battle, and you can't start transferring a bunch of cargo when the enemy lines are closing on you.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Yeah, that's what I was getting at with 'contamination.' The bridge crew did not look to happy about Alex being there (at least not Rune Lorel and a few of the others who were shown looking back at him).

As for Prophet's Reason, I'd be willing to bet that such an arrangement would fall under Mizol jurisdiction no matter Stillstorm's rank or opinion on the matter. The shuttle is likely the only option Stillstorm could assemble without stepping outside of bounds that she had to respect.

"Fine, you want him so badly, you can take him to Seren... you and all of my other problem children."

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Why would the umiak want a bunch of caskets? Why would they board the shuttle?
It seems like either
1. Finding a shuttle out on its own is something that's commonly of interest to the umiak.
or
2. Someone's tipped them off to the fact that there's something of interest in this specific shuttle.
or
3. The umiak knew this shuttle belonged to Stillstorm's fleet and put together the possibility that artifacts from the "object-in-question" might be aboard

Alex can't see Tempo in his visions. Is that because the visions are actually from her, and Fireblade is relaying them back to the crew, and Tempo isn't bothering communicating her own location?

chanman

Post by chanman »

projekcja wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:26 am
But what of the prophet's reason? Are they to be arranged to have an accident as well? Also, can there be a conspiracy to hide the fact that humans exist, in a society of telepaths that cant really hide their thoughts from one another?
And what's the plan - to send a few trusted ships to commit genocide and wipe the 6 human worlds (thank you Alex for telling how many there are) before anyone else discovers a human? Wouldnt the information leak through telepathy?
I think it may be less to hide the existence of humans as it is to hide them resemblance they have to Loroi until the Loroi chain of command can figure out what this means and the impact it might have on their allies. Without Alex or the bodies or the Historian construct, there is no evidence to corroborate Mozin's claims.

There seems to be diplomatically important context (P. 65) to it that the Loroi are cagey about.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Remenber the Loroi sleeping around Alex?

The group was minus Tempo and Fireblade.

So you count that number plus 2, and you have the total of Loroi on board.

In this most recent comic one only has to count the number to see if any are missing.

Since if that is so... that's a giant red flag right there.

It means either A: Tempo is just that good. B: Cloud is no longer with us because 'KRAK!' and 'KRUNCH!' or something else.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Bamax wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:14 am

In this most recent comic one only has to count the number to see if any are missing.

It means either A: Tempo is just that good. B: Cloud is no longer with us because 'KRAK!' and 'KRUNCH!' or something else.
Where's Beryl then?

Mithramuse

Post by Mithramuse »

Dan Wyatt wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:14 am
Where's Beryl then?
She should be the lone Loroi in the lower right of the group. She would nominally be right behind Alex, and he's mentioned she had a gun in her left hand.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Dan Wyatt wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:14 am
Bamax wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:14 am

Where's Beryl then?

My guess?

Behind Alex... hence why he cannot see her.

Either that or she was like, 'Forget this!' and left Alex by himself. Doubt that though.

Arent

Post by Arent »

dragoongfa wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:41 am
I am pretty sure that Alex is somehow sensing everything that Fireblade is broadcasting and is even picking up the mental connections and deductions made up in her mind/the mental network.

I am certain that Fireblade is broadcasting the situation to the others in order for them to be ready to act immediately if the situation demands it; she senses the Umiak and she also picks up the basic surface thoughts of those near enough. They are carrying rectangular objects, they Umiak may have opened them and peaked inside but she already knows what the rectangular objects contain so her mind makes the connection immediately and broadcasts the information as well.
It is heavily implied that Alex sees inanimate objects, even the hull of the ship is drawn. Of course one could potentially argue that's what the Umiak see & Fireblade 'sees' through telepathy but I suspect something else is going on here.

Arent

Post by Arent »

asaenvolk wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:57 pm
If he would piggy back, he would have to hear at least some of the Loroi's thoughts by now, even unintellegible noise.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

That's a bit more than simple piggy-back riding upon somebody's sensory input and surface thoughts. His brain is actually compiling all the data and combining it with various overlays, like the shuttle layout. He should not have such information, yet he managed not only to extract it, but also incorporated it into an overview. He does not "see" inanimate objects, yet he can use multiple viewer's POV for his mental image. However, him passing out is probably due to the sheer overload of unfamiliar tasks his brain has to perform.

Beryl is most likely outside this picture, beyond the lower right border. Tempo, however, may have marched off with her new "pet" to who knows where.

P.S. Plot Twist: After Alex wakes up, he will realize that he is a giant bug now, too!

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

boldilocks wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:56 am
Alex can't see Tempo in his visions. Is that because the visions are actually from her, and Fireblade is relaying them back to the crew, and Tempo isn't bothering communicating her own location?
Obviously it's because Tempo is psychically disguised as an Umiak. Or perhaps she actually was an Umiak all along, in a Loroi disguise?

Alternatively, she's no longer on-board the shuttle. But where's the fun in that?

projekcja

Post by projekcja »

I think Tempo may well have her own Lotai, and may instinctively use it when she wants to hide, even when the enemies are so telepathically blind, they cant even sense Fireblade.
Also, I think Tempo has brought Alex to the bridge for the Historians and Barsam to see specifically so it cant be covered up, and has chosen only those sympathetic to Alex to go on the shuttle to avoid diplomatic incidents.
Also, it could be that Stillstorm has suspected that something on her ship was blinding their farsensing, thus making her eager to unload artifacts and human bodies.

As for Alex getting a map of the area including inanimate objects and knowing what's in them, it could all be from Fireblade (i.e. Fireblade as a strong telepath collected all the information and formed a mental map, and this mental map leaks to Alex), or Alex could be getting information directly from the ones he sees (Every person has their own mental map of the exact conformation of the body and of held objects + immediate surroundings and knowing what's in stuff they previously looked into). We'll only know which option is true if Alex gets telepathic glimpses in the future when he's not near Fireblade.

I'm also wondering if when Alex senses the Loroi, if the Loroi start sensing him. I think not, since Alex's own silhouette is missing from the picture.