What to Do with Jardin (Fan Fic)

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Suederwind

Re: What to Do with Jardin (Fan Fic)

Post by Suederwind »

A nice continuation of the RP! :)
Looking forward to the next part.
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Sweforce wrote:I had a hard time accepting the possibility of human/loroi hybrids and since this story pretty much start by mentioning that I long put of reading it at all due to considering the whole thing non serious. Humans and loroi are biochemically incompatible and most like their genetics code are incompatible as well.

What if the Soia deliberately installed an mechanism for Soia-loren races to crossbreed with their template races? An I'll unerstood organ that somehow related to genetic programming of an loroi egg cell. With no access to humans and failure to notice exceedingly rare Soia-loren/template crossbreeding loroi scientists could simply consider unused oddities in their reproductive system to be an leftover of a mechanism used buy the Soia for genetic programming. Something like "send a signal here and it will change offspring to have green hair despite non of the parents having the genes for that".

With a genetic reprogramming mechanism the offspring would if course be proper Soia-loren specimen but have things that is harmless to add in from the human father to be so. In effect, a human sperm would have no business visiting an loroi egg cell but the genetic reprogramming organ could pick it up and use it's genetic material as part donor when it simply create a "prefertilized" egg cell. In effect the offspring would be "odd loroi" rather then actual hybrids. By this path they should also be fertile as well unless a safety mechanism is there to prevent that.
After reading the part about Alex and Fireblade co-piloting a giant mecha, Pacific Rim style, which was built by Historians based on Gundam Lore, beating the crap of Shell ships ... are you still worried about scientific accuracy? :roll:

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

raistlin34 wrote:
Sweforce wrote: After reading the part about Alex and Fireblade co-piloting a giant mecha, Pacific Rim style, which was built by Historians based on Gundam Lore, beating the crap of Shell ships ... are you still worried about scientific accuracy? :roll:
Good point :D And like Star Trek it is interaction by people that is the point rather then the science.

ShadowDragon8685

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Sweforce wrote:I had a hard time accepting the possibility of human/loroi hybrids and since this story pretty much start by mentioning that I long put of reading it at all due to considering the whole thing non serious. Humans and loroi are biochemically incompatible and most like their genetics code are incompatible as well.

What if the Soia deliberately installed an mechanism for Soia-loren races to crossbreed with their template races? An I'll unerstood organ that somehow related to genetic programming of an loroi egg cell. With no access to humans and failure to notice exceedingly rare Soia-loren/template crossbreeding loroi scientists could simply consider unused oddities in their reproductive system to be an leftover of a mechanism used buy the Soia for genetic programming. Something like "send a signal here and it will change offspring to have green hair despite non of the parents having the genes for that".

With a genetic reprogramming mechanism the offspring would if course be proper Soia-loren specimen but have things that is harmless to add in from the human father to be so. In effect, a human sperm would have no business visiting an loroi egg cell but the genetic reprogramming organ could pick it up and use it's genetic material as part donor when it simply create a "prefertilized" egg cell. In effect the offspring would be "odd loroi" rather then actual hybrids. By this path they should also be fertile as well unless a safety mechanism is there to prevent that.

I've been pondering the explanation behind this, actually. I agree, actually, that half-human/loroi hybrids are... Scientifically problematic, not to mention problematic to me from a storyline point of view, if you know what I mean. (I'm sure you know what I mean.)

I was actually mooting something like that anyway; that a human sperm couldn't genetically contribute, but it could trick a Loroi's body into gearing up for reproduction, and in the absence of valid sperm yet seemingly in the presence of it, what results is basically Asari-style asexual reproduction, and what is, essentially, a beta version of a Loroi.

ShadowDragon8685

raistlin34 wrote:After reading the part about Alex and Fireblade co-piloting a giant mecha, Pacific Rim style, which was built by Historians based on Gundam Lore, beating the crap of Shell ships ... are you still worried about scientific accuracy? :roll:
My only regret about that is that saint-of-m was specific enough as to make it clear without question he was referring to gundam, because I'm so much more a fan of this sort of thing.

dapple26

Post by dapple26 »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
raistlin34 wrote:After reading the part about Alex and Fireblade co-piloting a giant mecha, Pacific Rim style, which was built by Historians based on Gundam Lore, beating the crap of Shell ships ... are you still worried about scientific accuracy? :roll:
My only regret about that is that saint-of-m was specific enough as to make it clear without question he was referring to gundam, because I'm so much more a fan of this sort of thing.
Ah, Zone of Enders. I was never really a fan of the phallic cockpit design. The fist time I saw it I thought. "Why did they give the mech a penis?" only realizing later that it is the COCKpit. :roll: And for that matter, why in Turn A Gundam, is your cockpit a giant jockstrap?
Last edited by dapple26 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Sweet! "Zone of Enders"!

And about Human/Loroi reproduction...

I know that spermatozoa have specialized proteins of some sort on the exterior of their head that metabolizes the cell wall of a female ovum. I'm not certain of the composition of Loroi flesh... but I would think those same cell membranes could be metabolized unless it is a temperature or Ph-Balance that is the immediate issue. Loroi do have a lower body temperature overall but they still appear to be warm-blooded. Which is in my opinion the perplexing thing.. if they are warm-blooded mammals that indeed nurse their young.. how their base genetic code {which right now I forget the Loroi DNA-base} could be so radically different from humans.. and yet they appear so similar and even attractive to our reproductive biological urges. One would think they would look radically different from us.

Cause EVEN if a human sperm could metabolize the cell wall of a Loroi ovum.. the Human RNA/DNA would have no where to start with the base genes of a Loroi because they are completely different!

I'm no scientist but I think THAT in and of itself is the biggest hurtle for any cross-breeds.

{Shrug}.. though in the realm of SciFi.. we humans have a lot of genes that are dormant that we don't seem to be using. Perhaps those genes activate somehow in the ovum of a Loroi? But I'd find that in the real-world highly unlikely. Almost as unlikely as Ridley Scott's - Alien implanting an Alien embryo in someone's throat for it to take a portion of their genetic structure and gestate in the their host's stomachs!
Last edited by sunphoenix on Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

ShadowDragon8685

dapple26 wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
Ah, Zone of Enders. I was never really a fan of the phallic cockpit design. The fist time I saw it I thought. "Why did they give the mech a penis?" only realizing later that it is the COCKpit. :roll:
What's not to love about a giant mech equipped to spear-hunt great blue whales from the groin? :D

Durabys

Post by Durabys »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Once again in command of Swiftwind - his ship, Captain Jardin sat brooding in his ready room, the altercation with Torrai Sorimi Opalstorm and the difficulties she represented fresh on his mind. She was cooling her jets in the brig for now, but Jardin felt a foreboding of what she represented to his crew and the welcome - or possible lack thereof - they would be receiving when returned to Loroi space. It did not bode well at all; they were, to the last, heroes, they'd taken a tiny fleet of overengined corvettes and drawn a Umiak fleet away from far, far more than their value in larger vessels, had defied the laws of physics, and endured a harsh and difficult journey to reach safety. They deserved better treatment.

..snippet..

Jardin looked up; Tempo's head was still in her hand, elbow braced on her thigh, with her thigh braced on her opposite knee, in the pose she used whens he either needed to pass out in a chair, or needed to focus on sanzai communications. Kelly, however, looked at him, and he nodded for her report. "In short, Captain? This situation is a Charlie Foxtrot and you're wearing the dress. We have, effectively, foreign citizens claiming asylum for fear of persecution... And they're claiming that asylum from the Loroi - our new allies," she pointed out. "Taking a principled stand could get things off to a rocky start, not to mention that everyone involved has been a participant in highly classified events that would fall under Admiral Callan's jurisdiction. Militarily speaking, we've got Callan on one side and Fragile Storm on the other; diplomatically speaking, we have an entire bevy of politicians with vested interests on our side who are going to want to weigh in, and whatever diplomatic envoys on the Loroi's side have come out on top of their particular dog-heap. And that's notwithstanding the fact that you may not be Fragile Storm's all-time favorite person in the galaxy right now, what with having Opalstorm locked up in your brig."
sunphoenix wrote:I must say.. this was Ingeniously handled! I Greatly Approve! :)

I am Deeply Honored to have Stormrage included in the Story, she was well depicted!

THANK YOU! {"Shade and Sweet Water!"}

sunphoenix wrote:Sweet! "Zone of Enders"!

And about Human/Loroi reproduction...

I know that spermatozoa have specialized proteins of some sort on the exterior of their head that metabolizes the cell wall of a female ovum. I'm not certain of the composition of Loroi flesh... but I would think those same cell membranes could be metabolized unless it is a temperature or Ph-Balance that is the immediate issue. Loroi do have a lower body temperature overall but they still appear to be warm-blooded. Which is in my opinion the perplexing thing.. if they are warm-blooded mammals that indeed nurse their young.. how their base genetic code {which right now I forget the Loroi DNA-base} could be so radically different from humans.. and yet they appear so similar and even attractive to our reproductive biological urges. One would think they would look radically different from us.

Cause EVEN if a human sperm could metabolize the cell wall of a Loroi ovum.. the Human RNA/DNA would have no where to start with the base genes of a Loroi because they are completely different!

I'm no scientist but I think THAT in and of itself is the biggest hurtle for any cross-breeds.

{Shrug}.. though in the realm of SciFi.. we humans have a lot of genes that are dormant that we don't seem to be using. Perhaps those genes activate somehow in the ovum of a Loroi? But I'd find that in the real-world highly unlikely. Almost as unlikely as Ridley Scott's - Alien implanting an Alien embryo in someone's throat for it to take a portion of their genetic structure and gestate in the their host's stomachs!
I have a very good idea how those hybrids came to be.

It has everything to do with that plant that is made into that 'devil's brew tea' those Warrior Monk Loroi in their fortress drink and hide it's recipe..and which a certain young Unsheathed also drank accidentally on one occasion nearly a decade ago.

What if..there is secret Soia Bio Laboratory under that ancient Loroi mountain monastery..

..with one immortal (TL16..Immortality should be possible) Soia scientist still working there..making miracles possibles.
Si vis pacem, para bellum. - If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

Another interesting installment, Shadow. A couple things I noticed: one, does Stormrage consider Snow White her daughter? You mention "Stormrage's daughter" in the second piece, but have only mentioned her birthing a son, Kamielle. And, two, Tempo's age. She's actually significantly older than Alex. Of the main cast, I think the only two that are definitely younger than Alex are Beryl and Talon.

In any case, those are only very minor things. Very much looking forward to more.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Snow White is Stormrage's semi-adopted daughter. Nothing formal but Stormrage and Charles 'Charlie' Aldridge were the primary guardians for her onboard the Cydonia... as the Loroi were a bit freaked out by her. With the loss of Stormrage's 'Charlie'... she took over total raising and training of both Kamielle and Snow White.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

ShadowDragon8685

Mr Bojangles wrote:Another interesting installment, Shadow. A couple things I noticed: one, does Stormrage consider Snow White her daughter? You mention "Stormrage's daughter" in the second piece, but have only mentioned her birthing a son, Kamielle.
Bollocks, that would be an example of your typographic errors which made it in. I'll fix that when I'm not on my phone.
And, two, Tempo's age. She's actually significantly older than Alex. Of the main cast, I think the only two that are definitely younger than Alex are Beryl and Talon.
Really? Bollocks! Bloody buggerin' bleedin' bollocks. Can you cite that? Maybe an actual age? Bloody hell... I wish the dramatis personae had birthdays for everybody. (Also Reed and Spiral listed.)
In any case, those are only very minor things. Very much looking forward to more.
I'd call operating under a gross misapprehension re: Tempo's age 'not minor,' personally.

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
Mr Bojangles wrote:Another interesting installment, Shadow. A couple things I noticed: one, does Stormrage consider Snow White her daughter? You mention "Stormrage's daughter" in the second piece, but have only mentioned her birthing a son, Kamielle.
Bollocks, that would be an example of your typographic errors which made it in. I'll fix that when I'm not on my phone.
And, two, Tempo's age. She's actually significantly older than Alex. Of the main cast, I think the only two that are definitely younger than Alex are Beryl and Talon.
Really? Bollocks! Bloody buggerin' bleedin' bollocks. Can you cite that? Maybe an actual age? Bloody hell... I wish the dramatis personae had birthdays for everybody. (Also Reed and Spiral listed.)
I'd call operating under a gross misapprehension re: Tempo's age 'not minor,' personally.
No worries, Shadow, I'm happy to help if I can. In that spirit, I've included links to what you asked for. Additionally, I noticed in an earlier entry that you misspelled Dachau as "Dachnau" and Tithric and "Tithic."

Tempo's GURPs character sheet (on the Insider). She'd be 59 in this story due to the 5 year gap.

You can also find Beryl's and Fireblade's there.

Hope you find this helpful. :)

ShadowDragon8685

Mr Bojangles wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
No worries, Shadow, I'm happy to help if I can. In that spirit, I've included links to what you asked for. Additionally, I noticed in an earlier entry that you misspelled Dachau as "Dachnau" and Tithric and "Tithic."
Bugger, I'll find and fix those.
Tempo's GURPs character sheet (on the Insider). She'd be 59 in this story due to the 5 year gap.

You can also find Beryl's and Fireblade's there.

Hope you find this helpful. :)
Bugger, I ignored those 'cause I reckoned they'd only be game stats. I can be a real dipshit at times.

ShadowDragon8685

Deleted. (See Note: below.)
Last edited by ShadowDragon8685 on Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

hehe! Awesome!
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Just me, or is Fragile Storm a bit too happy about her being the one giving Alex headaches for once? ;)

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I am mpressed!
By this story! (Thank you!)
By the quality of the work.
And the speed of you writing.
With my kids around and all the work piles having to be treated, you write about as fast as Imcan find time to read.
Impressive!

And again, thank you for this story.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

raistlin34 wrote:Just me, or is Fragile Storm a bit too happy about her being the one giving Alex headaches for once? ;)
It is only fair, he gave her an headache, she even had to medicate it. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Sweforce on Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShadowDragon8685

raistlin34 wrote:Just me, or is Fragile Storm a bit too happy about her being the one giving Alex headaches for once? ;)
I think she's more amused by the idea than seriously contemplating it. I mean, one cultural facet we probably don't want to introduce to the Loroi is the concept of the Frag List, and for Opalstorm, someone would dig a frag grenade out of storage. Especially since she's the kind of bitch who'd insist on a single cabin even on a corvette.