Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Awww 

Post Awww
You mean we have to divide up our on- and off-topic posts?

:cry:

You make me sad, Arioch!

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:51 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Awww
Not necessarily. This is just a placeholder, really.

Posts about science fiction and technology in general have always been appropriate for the Outsider forum, and I think that should continue. But I do think it would be nice to have other categories to post, say, information about other projects and the like.

Any opinions on forum structure are welcome.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:01 pm
Profile WWW

I gotcha.

Last time I made a forum, I kind of went crazy with folders and subfolders and it ended up being really confusing. I say keep it simple, unless something comes up that's big enough to merit it's own board.

/2cents

Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:08 pm
Site Admin

Count Casimir wrote:
I gotcha.

Last time I made a forum, I kind of went crazy with folders and subfolders and it ended up being really confusing. I say keep it simple, unless something comes up that's big enough to merit it's own board.
Yes, that's definitely something I won't be doing. It's silly to have to hunt across dozens of subfolders for 2 or 3 posts. :)

Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:13 pm
Profile WWW

anyway in the end there will always be someone who post something in the wrong "folder"

That or a subject that could be put in 2 folder at the same time.

I would go with a traditional structure

Art
fan art other unrelated art, as long as it dont become an: look at the image i found on the web of a lolcats.

Outsider WIP
well there were only one post on the old forum but you could make a topic per page could be interesting and still have it locked.

All the rest
do i actually need to explain that section?

that way you wouldn't have to police the forum too much about were what topic should go.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:07 pm
Profile WWW

hi hi

The only thing I could see a sub-forum being used for is if we ever had a Role-Playing event successfully take off, such that it was crowding out the other posts. Otherwise, most of the topics seem to be relatively self contained.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:47 pm
Profile WWW

And it's not like we're a super-big community needing "crowd control."

Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:32 pm

Very true, I kind of with that some of the older characters from 3 years ago would start posting more.

but i hope that we will try and start back up the RPG forum. Dietrich is getting bored

Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:52 pm

I might be willing to run something for an RPG, but it would need a little more structure, I think.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:39 pm

well i would be willing if the game wasn't like a story telling i know real time RP on a tchat is out of the way (because of time zone) but something closer to the dice and paper version.

Isn't ill look up with some other people to see if there is a way to put a dice system in a forum.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:02 pm
Profile WWW

We could just use regular die and post it. I trust you guys!

Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:14 am

The dice are one thing, but I think having a structured framework for the organization of combat/tasks and in general just a more formalized framework would be a definite improvement. That said, you still have to come up with something that'll work.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:59 am

I gotta say, a different setting might be nice. The other one was well thought-out and original, but Arioch has created a galaxy full of interesting aliens--warlike ones, too! I'd love to see something towards the beginning of the war--Loroi ground commandos, etc, or something set (even further) in the future--kind of like the old one, with humans and Loroi just starting to mix, but less...militarily rigid? A small special task force, maybe, or even civilian traders wandering the galaxy *coff Rogue Trader hell yeah*.

As far as structure, we could make something out of D&D stats, which I have a pretty good handle on. We could just do skill buy as a system, or use a different system's stats. Thoughts?

Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:32 am

It doesn't even have to be an outsider-based rpg. Particularly since, canon issues aside, the non-military role-play opportunities are somewhat limited for a human-loroi campaign. Restricting it to the human area of space would alleviate a great deal of the problems inherent in the setting, but that's probably too much to ask. Gurps would probably be a good system since it's pretty basic, and generic :o . I've never done anything with D&D, but there's a little shareware game called Minimus that might actually be what we're looking for: it's simple and free to download.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:54 am

hi hi

I had an idea for a short-ish game involving a combined Human/Loroi scouting force attempting to map a "backdoor" route into Umiak territory, but I never got the chance to propose it. It would have played the contrast of some of humanity's best and brightest being paired up with a disgraced Loroi commander with a chip on her shoulder. (taken off the front lines for this...babysitting?!)

As for dice, I was thinking of using something more simple like a Dogs in the Vineyard style system (where the motto is: "say yes or roll," so when everyone agrees there's no need to bog things down) or even a dice-less resource based system like Nobilis (where if you have a good skill in something, you're assumed to be able to do it unless you meet someone with a similar skill, then you have to decide how badly you want it and spend resources)

Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:47 am
Profile WWW

icekatze wrote:
hi hi

I had an idea for a short-ish game... /snip

This is a really good idea. All of us or at least most of us have great story ideas that we could probably turn into a short little campaign--meaning we could all take turns running games, or have them all going at the same time (though that has cluster**** potential). That way those who want to both play a game AND run a game aren't left out.

We'd need a quick format for making up new characters, probably.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:52 pm

At the risk of becoming shrill, I would again suggest Minimus as a format that is simple, easy, and free to access. If nothing else, give it a brief look; it's only two pages of rules. http://adastragames.com/discus.html The bottom link is the most recent version, I believe.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:37 pm

icekatze wrote:
As for dice, I was thinking of using something more simple like a Dogs in the Vineyard style system (where the motto is: "say yes or roll," so when everyone agrees there's no need to bog things down) or even a dice-less resource based system like Nobilis (where if you have a good skill in something, you're assumed to be able to do it unless you meet someone with a similar skill, then you have to decide how badly you want it and spend resources)

Well what i like about dice is, even if your are the most skilled warrior (or what ever class) there always a chance you miss (roll 1). An even if your really bad at it, there always a chance you get lucky (roll 20) But what ever the outcome, you need to roll with it (pun intended)

Count Casimir wrote:
icekatze wrote:
(though that has cluster**** potential).

Unrelated to the subject but were you the one to sensor that or is it a forum feature?

Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Karst45 wrote:
Unrelated to the subject but were you the one to sensor that or is it a forum feature?

This is a forum feature. It can be disabled within your user control panel in Board Preferences/Edit Display Options/Enable word censoring.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:12 pm
Profile WWW

If random numer is needed, so how is last number of time stamp?

Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:31 pm

bunnyboy wrote:
If random numer is needed, so how is last number of time stamp?

well it would be easy to just set your clock to the right number and post your message to the number you need.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:08 am
Profile WWW

Karst45 wrote:
well it would be easy to just set your clock to the right number and post your message to the number you need.

The post time stamp is based on the server time, so you would have to post at the right time. Everybody would have to use a custom time display format to get finer resolution than minutes, though:

Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> global settings, My date format: Custom...
The default string:
Code:
D M d, Y g:i a

Gives the default "day-of-week month day-of-month, year hours:minutes AM/PM" format. The letter 's' gives seconds:
Code:
D M d, Y g:i:s a

Now, you could also compute a MD5 hash of the date string. Some security vulnerabilities are known in MD5, but I think you can assume they won't be exploited via careful post-timing to win a dice roll.

edit:
Like this: http://tmp.arklyffe.com/md5dice.html
Stick some verifiable, varying string that's out of the user's control into the input, and pick one of the results. It includes a link to the roll that you could copy into a post. Could find someplace permanent to stick this if it actually proves useful...

Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:19 pm

I try something.
Code:
D M d, Y g:i a, [s]

Now my diceroll is boxed.

Edit:
Nah. It will change every timestamp. So it doesn't matter if I have some stylish setting, because it will affect only how I see it.
So GM can select, what number he/she is picking for dice and we can only accept that. If we don't trust him/her, we just use same date format.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:57 pm

okay random thoughts:

Call of Cthulhu is a fairly straight forward system. The fairly extreme fragility of character may be beneficial to realism, but less awesome for character longevity (look at the automatic weapon rules, but obviously you'd just use the basics of the system, stats, skill advancement and %-ile rolling).

You could adapt something like roll master if you wanted to be a sadist.

D&D could work, you could do open 3.5 content if that system appeals to you, there have been some changes with 4.0 that are better in some ways different in others and perhaps worse in yet others still.

Personally I think an adaptation of a white wolf system (or cthulu) would likely be the most robust as it could conceivably require the least number of rolls to figure things out and there isn't a lot of material you need to have on hand or know to work it all out.

Finally you can also have a resident DM or uninterested party do and post rolls so you would say like : I try to vault the table and throw Mr. X to the ground with a scissor leg throw. Someone else rolls on like random.org or something and posts 2 rolls 1 for the vault and 1 for the throw etc.

-O

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:56 am

something for you guys to look at
http://www.fantasygrounds.com/
i find the idea very interesting, but they should have made it a micro transaction economic model.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next