Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
3d Texture 

Post 3d Texture
heya.

Since i restarted doing 3d modeling. i was wondering if you had some nice texture (or real good advice on how to do them) for space ship hull. Am currently working on a huge Colonial ship. Tried some UMW unwrapper but with 3ds max it not user friendly. so so far my texture have been mostly; "take a metal looking texture and apply it everywhere"

Anyway if you happen to know or have some good ship hull texture (with bump gradient though i can mod them with ease) i would like that.

on that: more Forum test!

will post that on the other forum too since there more people there :)

Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:23 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: 3d Texture (bump)
hi hi

If you need to unwrap a texture, I recommend exporting the file and opening it up in wings 3d. Wings is a free 3d modeling program that unfortunately never caught on, but its UV unwrapping abilities are phenomenal.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:49 pm
Profile WWW

icekatze wrote:
hi hi

If you need to unwrap a texture, I recommend exporting the file and opening it up in wings 3d. Wings is a free 3d modeling program that unfortunately never caught on, but its UV unwrapping abilities are phenomenal.

can it handle 3ds max file? and if so how?

Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:32 pm
Profile WWW

hi hi

It doesn't have a lot of importer options, but it does handle .3ds, .fbx and .obj

Unwrapping works like this: you tag the model's surfaces with different colors and when you are done it can unwrap each color area separately (using one of several different methods), so if you've got a little greeble sticking out, you just color it something else and it wont deform any of the surrounding UVs.

I only wish I had known about it when I was learning to unwrap models in Maya... man what a pain that was.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:13 pm
Profile WWW

yeah maya supposed to be nice to unwarp, unfortunatly most of the time when i unwarp it like a cumbled ball of vertex. i tryed all they said (even the section thingy) but still have a hard time mastering that. ill try it again later

Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:32 pm
Profile WWW

I'll second the recommendation of Wings, But I warn you that it takes a lot of trial and error at first to figure out even what you need from a good unwrapping.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]