Page 89

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Razor One

Re: Page 89

Post by Razor One »

I think I managed to find something perfect.

Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Let me feel the spirits soar
Destroy the enemy
Striking at the evil core
For all the world to see

This day will last forever
Deep in the hearts of men
Courage and victory
Remember, remember

One Shot At Glory
In the crossfire overhead
Fate stands before me
Words have all been said

One Shot At Glory
Driving hard and seeing red
Destiny calls me
One night of fire
One Shot At Glory

Fighting on with dignity
In life and death we deal
The power and the majesty
Amidst the blood and steel

I still hear the battle cry
The call goes on and on
I still see the banners fly
The battle's always won
I kid, I kid :P

More seriously

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
For something that isn't cribbed from greater minds than myself...

"Farewell my friends. We carried each other further than any humans have come before, through space that no human has set eyes on, beyond stars that we have yet to name. Your courage, your sacrifice and our mission shall not have been in vain. May you rest peacefully amongst the stars from whence you came. Farewell my friends... farewell."
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Tamren

Post by Tamren »

Since when did the Tempest have ventral medium blaster turrets? Or is this just the first time we have seen them?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Tamren wrote:Since when did the Tempest have ventral medium blaster turrets? Or is this just the first time we have seen them?
They have always been there, but they have changed position and appearance slightly.

Some Useless Geek

Post by Some Useless Geek »

Hmm. Sorry to be so crude, but I think my take would be a lot simpler:
We're gonna get some, guys. You watch from above while we do it.
The Internet Will Never Be The Same.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I don't know how spiritual of a fellow Alex is, but I figure that a salute and some personal declaration might also work in a pinch. Perhaps "I won't forget," or "I won't let the mission fail."

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

Razor One wrote:"Farewell my friends. We carried each other further than any humans have come before, through space that no human has set eyes on, beyond stars that we have yet to name. Your courage, your sacrifice and our mission shall not have been in vain. May you rest peacefully amongst the stars from whence you came. Farewell my friends... farewell."
I like the feel of this.

My variant:

We have gone where no man has gone before,
to do that which no man has done before,
the price has been high,
the task is not yet complete,
but your sacrifice will not in vain.

Rest in peace my friends.

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

I'm sure the TCA military would have something akin to the Ode of Remembrance that Commonwealth nations use...It shouldn't be too hard to paraphrase something along those lines even without much in the way of warning.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

"Remember Bell."

New battle cry of the TCA.
Ashrain is best rain.

Imbrooge

Post by Imbrooge »

I'm really curious as to what their reactions will be to the way he says whatever it is he is going to say. If he has too many ums and ahs in there it might leave the impression that he didn't really care that they died, or he really cared alot because he said that those sounds mean't he was thinking what to say.

Also there was a shot of a torpedo firing and not a beam, so i am curious as to how that will reflect on Alex. Quite possibly dissapointment that he was unable to confirm the colour of the beam and hopefully that won't stump him.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Imbrooge wrote:Also there was a shot of a torpedo firing and not a beam, so i am curious as to how that will reflect on Alex. Quite possibly dissapointment that he was unable to confirm the colour of the beam and hopefully that won't stump him.
...did you forget the big battle we just saw with all the beams going back and forth?

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

and the choices of a torpedo is simple, beam weapon then to pierce and scatter wreckage. a torpedo could actually vaporize or destroy in so small pieces that it would make it hard for anyone to analyses the remain.

That may be the only time we see a torpedo actually make a direct hit on a target.

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

fredgiblet wrote: ...did you forget the big battle we just saw with all the beams going back and forth?
But Alex didn't see a battle.
Alex saw the color of a beam with his own two eyes, and described the beam to the Loroi in sufficient detail for them to be able to identify it, in conjunction with their sensor records. Beryl looked a bit uncomfortable while describing said identification.
Alex then saw an artificial representation of a battle thrown up on some imaging devices that he did not understand and has no experience with, akin to a man from the 1800s watching a modern 3d movie like Avatar.
If the Loroi were the Romulans, that would be reason enough to suspect shenanigans. Especially since all their diplomacy is apparently handled by their Tal Shiar. Were the Loroi Romulans, I would suspect that the entire battle never actually happened, or at least that the beams had been artificially recolored on the viewscreen. Especially since in Star Trek that could be done with a few simple commands. "Computer, make the plasma focus look like a pulse cannon, and make our pulse cannons look like plasma focus bursts. Also create a holodeck character who can take over the ship again, that's always fun."

But then come the economics of lying. The difficulty and level of finesse required to create such an elaborate fiction for Alex on such short notice and with so many moving parts makes it implausible at best, the motives for creating and engaging in such an elaborate deception when a simpler one would have worked just as well, the (non-immediate but inevitable) falsifiability of such a lie, and the potential for catastrophic failure make it rather ridiculous. Part of the reason the Tal Shiar would do such a thing is because the Romulans are supposed to lose at the end of the episode.

I really don't think the Umiak are lying because I wouldn't lie in their shoe-equivalents, and I like to think I'm a pretty decent liar. I don't think the Loroi are lying either. But either way is possible, if they decide to behave in the manner of mustache-twirling melodrama villains.

Tash

Post by Tash »

Solemn wrote:But Alex didn't see a battle.
Err.
I assume Fred means the current one, in which case, Alex has been on the bridge watching the whole time.
I rather assume any magnification system that can clearly pick up enemy vessels at those ranges are going to give Alex an excellent opportunity to see the weaponry of both sides.

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

Tash wrote:
Solemn wrote:But Alex didn't see a battle.
Err.
I assume Fred means the current one, in which case, Alex has been on the bridge watching the whole time.
I rather assume any magnification system that can clearly pick up enemy vessels at those ranges are going to give Alex an excellent opportunity to see the weaponry of both sides.
What I meant was Alex saw the bridge representation of that battle.
And the bridge representation could have been doctored.
It makes no sense to doctor it, and it's highly improbable that said doctoring could have been achieved so well in so little time with so few cues, but it's within the realm of possibility within science fiction stories.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see...
My mother, and my sisters, and my brothers.
'Lo, there do I see...
The line of my people...
Back to the beginning.
'Lo, they do call to me.
They bid me take my place among them.
In the halls of Valhalla...
Where the brave...
May live...
...forever.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Solemn wrote: What I meant was Alex saw the bridge representation of that battle.
And the bridge representation could have been doctored.
It makes no sense to doctor it, and it's highly improbable that said doctoring could have been achieved so well in so little time with so few cues, but it's within the realm of possibility within science fiction stories.
Well i say a day is quite enough to actually plan this. Remember, Alex was unconscious for about 2-3 day. From the time he got knocked out in his space suite to the moment he wake up in his cell, excluding the infirmary even that lasted what 5 minutes? we can assume about at least 8h passed since the interrogation. That enough time to plan something.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Karst45 wrote:ite enough to actually plan this. Remember, Alex was unconscious for about 2-3 day. From the time he got knocked out in his space suite to the moment he wake up in his cell, excluding the infirmary even that lasted what 5 minutes? we can assume about at least 8h passed since the interrogation. That enough time to plan something.
Sounds plausible. And it means that the Loroi consider him valuable, otherwise they wouldn´t care.
sapere aude.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Trantor wrote:
Karst45 wrote:ite enough to actually plan this. Remember, Alex was unconscious for about 2-3 day. From the time he got knocked out in his space suite to the moment he wake up in his cell, excluding the infirmary even that lasted what 5 minutes? we can assume about at least 8h passed since the interrogation. That enough time to plan something.
Sounds plausible. And it means that the Loroi consider him valuable, otherwise they wouldn´t care.
maybe they are just brats/bully who like to mess with people mind.

And maybe their physical appearance is only a trick of their mind, they may look like giant blob, or maybe alex didnt wake up and they are still messing with his head.

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

Karst45 wrote:maybe they are just brats/bully who like to mess with people mind.

And maybe their physical appearance is only a trick of their mind, they may look like giant blob, or maybe alex didnt wake up and they are still messing with his head.
Maybe they are just doing very sordid things to Alex's body ;)
OUTSIDER UPDATE => HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Karst45 wrote:
Trantor wrote:
maybe they are just brats/bully who like to mess with people mind.

And maybe their physical appearance is only a trick of their mind, they may look like giant blob, or maybe Alex didn't wake up and they are still messing with his head.
Well I wouldn't put it past the Loroi to make up a very real simulation in order to learn more about what he knows. (hell human did a lot of camouflage operation in the run-up to D-day landings), but to go that length in order to learn what Alex knows, doesn't make sense to me especially since the 51st is on the front lines and could be engagged combat at moment.

as well, how do we know how long Alex was out ? I couldn't find a lenght of time when I ran a search.
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD