WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

dragoongfa

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by dragoongfa »

Bear in mind that the Loroi may not be the 'finalized' product, one of the angles that I have pondered on is of the Loroi being a prototype of shorts for a pure space combatant. Such a space warrior would have to have three things:

1) Natural tolerance for a lot of Gs of acceleration
2) Natural aptitude for 3D movement
3) Natural telepathy for Command, Control and Information purposes.

The Loroi cover number 3 perfectly, with passing grades for number 1 especially with some tech assistance.

In order to perfectly attain 1 and 2 however one would have to make some more radical changes, lets just say that I don't believe that the 'To be continued' page is there for being pretty.

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

Guys I think they're looking at him because he's a pink alien.

What would YOU think if you were at work and you saw your HR rep walking around chatting with a blue woman?
Ashrain is best rain.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Is she single?

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Is she cute?
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Who is she?
Can I be introduced to her?
Can I meet her?
Why is she here?
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I think perhaps the more appropriate analogy is not how someone in this particular forum would react to a blue skinned girl walking by on a ship, but rather, go back to 1960 in the USA and have someone walking by with a black skinned girl and see if the locals were immediately smitten on account of her skin color.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

That's a totally different fruit of a situation on so many levels.

EDIT: Yes, the Loroi aboard Tempest are certainly on alert because of the Human Lotai and the possibility of Alex being an enemy agent; however the question is if they would show the same behavior if the Alien in question wasn't so similar to their males?

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

The Loroi are, in general, rather xenophobic. Alex represents not just a threat to their safety as a possible enemy agent, but a threat to their perceived racial superiority, as the torch bearers of the Soia legacy. He also has the capacity to telepathically sneak up on them, not mentally announcing his presence until they suddenly hear his voice. I would expect wariness to be amongst the more positive reactions that most Loroi would have.

Argron

Post by Argron »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

The Loroi are, in general, rather xenophobic. Alex represents not just a threat to their safety as a possible enemy agent, but a threat to their perceived racial superiority, as the torch bearers of the Soia legacy. He also has the capacity to telepathically sneak up on them, not mentally announcing his presence until they suddenly hear his voice. I would expect wariness to be amongst the more positive reactions that most Loroi would have.
Dunno about xenophobic, their civilians might not be so, being rather used to friendly aliens and not so engaged in political matters. Most humans are rather xenophobic towards other humans so I don't feel we can give lessons on that matter lol

The military would be suspicious considering they have already faced similar Umiak infiltrators, more so a frontline battlegroup where a mistake trusting some agent could mean the death of the them all. They could have been more diplomatic but we know what they think of spoken language, and their CO is a rather bitter person towards anything that smells of Umiak to her.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi
I have used the term "xenophobic" to describe the Loroi in the past, but the Loroi do not truly have a "fear" of outsiders, but rather are usually uncomfortable around and intolerant of non-Loroi, and have a highly ethnocentric point of view, in that their psionic abilities make them superior to others (and that they believe they are descended from the Soia, and are therefore the rightful heirs to that galactic empire). Fireblade came late to Loroi society, so she is herself a bit of a cultural outsider. However, like other Loroi born since the start of the war, who have never known peace, it is easy to see all non-Loroi as potential enemies.
- Arioch

I quite purposefully made no attempt to hold any sort of moral high ground for humanity. My example of people treating other people with suspicion or outright hostility was done so for a reason. If humans were in the Loroi's position, of being in the middle of a major war for survival, humans would probably act similarly. Just look at the kind of paranoia that goes around whenever people are at war, from internment camps to random people in a small town beating up a traveling journalist because they thought he looked like a muslim.

A lot of us are here because we think blue space elves are cool, but the Loroi are there because they're fighting a war. :P

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Krulle wrote:But with the Loroi girls...? It might be their way of telling you "Hey you. I've got an eye on you and will crush you if you step out of line!". (Although crossing her legs does put her in a disadvantage when wanting to jump and attack.)
Could be an "am so better than you and you look so inoffensive that am going to give your a head-start.

junk

Post by junk »

Sweforce wrote:
sunphoenix wrote:The similarities between Loroi and Humans are so staggeringly close that CLEARLY there MUST have been some common progenitor of both species.
Not so much a common progenitor as a blatant copy of the human design using other materials and then modded with things such as longevity and telepathic communications among other things. It just that it so darn difficult to do all the ground work yourself so you just shamelessly steal a design close to what you want and then start playing around with it. Nothing wrong with that, many people (Soia included) like to get creative as times and change things, for the lols if nothing else.

Can we sue the Soia for copyright infringement? :twisted:
Actually considering humanities seeming ability to be nulls, that telepathy might not have been added in, merely warped a preexisting feature.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

[url=http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/fredgiblet_quotations.html]Forum Quotations I[/url], point XXXIX wrote:Originally Posted by Mithril
how about poker? kind of moot since they are telephatic and all. However, I see the game become popular in an attempt to train your telephatic to block other people. what do you guys think?
The Loroi have a chess-like game called Crossfire; the play is strategic, but for the Loroi an important part of winning the game is the telepathic contest between the players as each tries to read the other's thoughts. This game is shown being played in chapter 2.
I assume due to the nature of FtL in the Outsiderverse, that the trip to Seren will take a while, and that we will therefore get a glimpse of Crossfire?

(Yeah, I've finally started to read up all the stuff that has previously been fleshed out of the Outsiderverse and been published. I'll be busy for a while....)

(sorry if this is the wrong place for speculations, but the WIP thread seems closest to guessing what'll be shown the next pages.... Won't be in 105 anyway, but I expect Crossfire to be in this shuttle session...
Also I expect the telepathic battle to include (stealthy) telekinesis if Fireblade plays...)
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Yes, we'll get to see some Crossfire on the shuttle.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

The trinity is united, the trinity is holy but the trinity is also full of infighting.

discord

Post by discord »

that beryl chick is not a happy camper right now....i wonder why.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

discord wrote:that beryl chick is not a happy camper right now....i wonder why.
In Tempo's defense she is the intelligence officer after all, Beryl will just need to learn some patience and she get her turn eventually. She really look angry and disappointed thou. I guess Tempo really want to start a proper debriefing of Alex but of some reasons felt that she could not do that when still on the Tempest. I strongly suspect Stillstorm to be the main reason for that.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Oh boy, does she look unhappy. :|
Lets hope that will change, soon.
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

That feeling when you have to poop and a certain red-eyed mizol is taking her own sweet time in the lavatory...
Don't delay, join today!

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

discord wrote:that beryl chick is not a happy camper right now....i wonder why.
If I had to guess, Tempo is probably doing telepathic shenanigans while talking to Alex to suss out just how good his Lotai is.

I figure it to be something like this.

"So, Alex, tell me about Earth."
Can you hear me? Can you hear me now? How about now? C'mon! Respond!
"Bit of a broad subject, what about Earth specifically?"
MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP!
"The region you come from perhaps?"
WAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOO!
"I come from an area called California. It's located on the North American continent and is part of the United States of America. It tends to be sunny and warm for the most part and is renowned for both its mild weather, excellent wine, and is the center of production for entertainment such as movies."
Hey! Listen! Hey! Hey! Hey Listen! Listen! Hey! Hey Listen!
"How many people live on Earth?"
THERE'S A SPIDER ON YOUR FACE! KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!
Will you please cease your eternal racket!
"About twelve billion give or take with more on our colonies, I'm afraid I wasn't fully up to date with the latest census data. How many Loroi are there?"
Just trying to get a reaction from him, Beryl, it seems that he's as telepathically deaf as a rock.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.