WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Razor One

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Razor One »

Sweforce wrote:
dragoongfa wrote:I see that someone changed something in page 64.

http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider064.html
Little did Jardin know that a "cycle" is the lifecycle of a loroi, about 400 years. They will never let him go and he will never see home again... :twisted:
**deadpan**

Oh no. The human is being kept prisoner by gorgeous alien space amazons. Truly, his is an unenviable and perilous fate.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Eh?

CJSF

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

cacambo43 wrote:

Eh?

CJSF
Until recently something would only take a few moments.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

dragoongfa wrote:
cacambo43 wrote:

Eh?

CJSF
Until recently something would only take a few moments.
Oh yeah! I remember that now.. so I assume a cycle is more akin to a day, then - which seems more realistic.

CJSF

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

a cycle could be way more than just a day

A cycle could represent the change of crew on that ship. it could represent a week, A month, the change of season, A time between mating (what? it could)

so let just settle for: an relatively short time to accomplish the task at hand.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Karst45 wrote:a cycle could be way more than just a day

A cycle could represent the change of crew on that ship. it could represent a week, A month, the change of season, A time between mating (what? it could)
And thus we return to "anywhere between a second and a lifetime". The cycle is complete.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Maybe it's a nanapi (10.08 d)?
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The digel (cycle) is 4096 solon, or a little bit more than an hour.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arioch wrote:The digel (cycle) is 4096 solon, or a little bit more than an hour.
That will cause problems for Beryl. She may be able to speed learn a language from another loroi that way or just anyone else she can scan. Alex however is sanzai immune so it will have to be the old fashion way. No matter how fast a learner she is, she will not be able to learn faster then Alex can teach and we do not even know if he is good teacher. As such expect a few weeks to get it to work properly.

There is another possibility. Beryl could have already started studying English or whatever earh languagre on her own using an artifact from the Bellermine. Imagine a small hand held computer, Think surfpad in size loaded up with a translation software and perhaps other information useful for an alien to know about humans, like culture. Perhaps there was even a cash of these onboard for the purpose of being handed out like candy to anyone interested. If so she would only need a couple of hours/cycles to verify that she got it right.

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

Alternatively they're assuming that the language is 'simple' like trade and not the pigs breakfast of exceptions, special rules and stolen terms that English is.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Razor One wrote:Alternatively they're assuming that the language is 'simple' like trade and not the pigs breakfast of exceptions, special rules and stolen terms that English is.
I don't want to imagine what would happen if Greek had somehow become the limba franca of the Outsider universe :P

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

dragoongfa wrote:
Razor One wrote:Alternatively they're assuming that the language is 'simple' like trade and not the pigs breakfast of exceptions, special rules and stolen terms that English is.
I don't want to imagine what would happen if Greek had somehow become the limba franca of the Outsider universe :P
Which version of the language? ;)

JQBogus

Post by JQBogus »

An average English speaker has about 20,000 words in their active vocabulary.

If Beryl can learn 5 words per minute (Alex speaks the word, and gives a brief definition) then it will take her about a week of 12 hour sessions to get them all. Though I suspect Beryl would spend a LOT of time telling Alex that "You already told me that one" after a few hours or days. Her memory may be perfect, but his isn't.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

but what if Alex, being a smart ass, were to actually change from argo to argo each of his sentence. or even switching language completly.

Beryl: But... didnt you said this was a chair a few minutes ago? why is it now a chaise?

Alex: Veni, vidi, vici

Beryl: *nosebleed*

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

"Well, English is the lingua franca of the Terran Colonial Authority."

"Those words did not sound like English, Ensign Jardin, the pronunciation of the vowels seem off."

"Ah yes, 'lingua franca' is what's called a loanword, it comes from french, it means 'the language of the french'."

"But you're not french? And how did french words come to be in the english language? Was there a conquest?"

"Several, going both ways. The land from which english comes from was once the center of an early worldspanning empire and such tended to borrow a lot of words from other languages for things that they'd never encountered before."

"Such as?"

"Kamikaze from japanese, meaning a suicide attack, caveat emptor from latin, meaning buyer beware, diva from italian meaning a singer, matryoshka from russian, meaning a series of dolls nested one inside the other, yoyo from tagalog, a childs toy that comes on a string, mako from maori, the name of a shark, a seagoing predator-"

"How many of these loanwords does english have?"

"I have... no idea. Hundreds? Thousands?"

"All absorbed from other languages and cultures. It's strange how your species has so many, but without sanzai I suppose... hmmm. Has this already occurred with the Trade Language?"

"I've already incorporated sanzai and lotai into my vocabulary. You've already started incorporating some English into your speech mannerisms."

"What?"

"Just before, you said 'hmmm', something you say when you're thinking of what to say."

"Ah, I see, you've infected me with your mannerisms."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"On the contrary. It has become far easier to tease Fireblade, so long as it is done through the comms."
SpoilerShow

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

It's a good thing then that Alex isn't a biologist or a MD, for various vocabulary reasons.

Michael

Post by Michael »

Justa quick question; Arioch is still alive, yes?
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

majorminor

Post by majorminor »

He posted in this thread about 2 days ago, so he still exists.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

And I haven't heard a thing about a Big One at the San Andreas Fault since then so...

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Michael wrote:Justa quick question; Arioch is still alive, yes?
Here you can see when he last posted. (about 7 hours before your post)
His "last visited" is switched off, so you can't check that, but his last post, from Sunday (yesterday) is a good indication anyway.

I'm a bit torn in this regard:
If he would work more on the comic and pass by less often here, he might get the page done faster, but the update period might still be long.
But if he does not give a lifesign while working on the comics, this community looses it's binding member and might drift apart.
Which would likely mean end of comic-story.
Plus coming here might be done in-between work, when he could not work on the comic anyway.

To sum up: He's showing himself here often, thus letting us know he's alive and the comic and the Outsiderverse is still central in his heart.
I find that a very promising sign.
Now I need to stop making calculations how long it'll take until the story is finished....
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)