WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Zarya

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Zarya »

SVlad wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:47 pm
Mk_C wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:43 am
Scratch that. He was active on Patreon today.
How do you see activity on Patreon?
Tried to find new posts. Didn't find any in Arioch's Patreon profile.
Sooo... call me stupid, I can't confirm the above.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I am alive, no need to worry.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

Double check to be sure he hasn't been replaced by a zombie, some sort of space creature, or a smog monster.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Well, I was a space zombie smog monster to begin with, so there's no help there.

DCR

Post by DCR »

Arioch wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:29 am
Well, I was a space zombie smog monster to begin with, so there's no help there.
Very glad to hear that you are alright.

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

Arioch wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:46 am
Barring some kind of unforeseen disaster, the page should be up on Monday.
The year 2020 wrote:Hold my beer and watch this.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

Space zombie smog monsters are more suited for the climate near Los Angeles (Smogland), than San Jose (near Fogland).

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Ithekro wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:18 am
Space zombie smog monsters are more suited for the climate near Los Angeles (Smogland), than San Jose (near Fogland).
Well, I'm originally from Los Angeles. :D

There was just the one day where the sky turned red and partially blotted out the sun... it looked like photos from Mars. The weeks before and since, the smoke looks very much like LA smog.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

Yes. yes it did. I saw someone has a video taken from BART north of Concord looking at Mt. Diablo that was labeled as "Mars Train is Real".

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Ithekro wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:18 am
I just remember what someone once said about how humans invented monsters in order to put the blame away from ourselves.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

I don't know, going by most human literature we seem to blame ourselves for pretty much everything, including stuff that we're not to blame for. This "humans are always trying to shift the blame to monsters or outsiders" is itself a sort of "we humans are the problem" type of complaint.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Gods are for shifting blame towards.
Destiny is for shifting blame towards it.

Since everything is predetermined, we are not responsible for our own actions.

This changed with monotheisms, were gods became rather uncaring.
Jews, Christians, Moslims, all three of them have at the core of their believe, that whatever you do, you have to answer yourself before god for your actions, and that you have free will.
In older religions, Greek, and Roman religions, your life was predetermined by gods, so you had little to no free will, and your actions were not your own.
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Krulle wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:48 am
This changed with monotheisms, were gods became rather uncaring.
Jews, Christians, Moslims, all three of them have at the core of their believe, that whatever you do, you have to answer yourself before god for your actions, and that you have free will.
In older religions, Greek, and Roman religions, your life was predetermined by gods, so you had little to no free will, and your actions were not your own.
I think thats a bit of a modern interpretation. Afterall Europe sanctioned trial by combat (and other forms of trial by ordeal) until the middle of the 16th Century and the rationale behind that was the belief that God would intervene for the innocent.

However now it seems we are going full circle and its not "our" fault any more, the government should have banned it, advertisers shouldn't advertise and don't get me started on those evil video games! :o

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

In the Jewish belief,God will intervene for his people.
All Christians believed that God will punish the bad and reward the good, if not in this life, in the next.

Jewish and Christians were the biggest religions which actively stated that your life will mostly be defined by your own actions,and that She has a plan.

But the other coin side of this was the belief, that if you got accused for something which you did not, God would intervene to rectify faults of others. Your own fault, She would not intervene, but other's fault to your detriment would be rectified. Which God often did not. See the witch hunts all across Europe.
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Minor caveat: Ancient Greek theology believed in free will in the sense that the three 'Fates' that oversaw the destiny of all were above even the gods as they drew their position from the Primordial Goddess of 'Anage' (Force, Necessity, inevitability) and her brother/consort Chronos (time); the birth of both marking the beginning of the Universe as we know it.
Depending on the interpretation the three Fates didn't dictate how one would live but that everyone's lives (including the gods themselves) would be constrained and inevitably end as those are the primordial laws of our Universe from its inception.

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

Traps are gay, dammit!

DCR

Post by DCR »

Krulle wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:38 pm
In the Jewish belief,God will intervene for his people.
All Christians believed that God will punish the bad and reward the good, if not in this life, in the next.

Jewish and Christians were the biggest religions which actively stated that your life will mostly be defined by your own actions,and that She has a plan.

But the other coin side of this was the belief, that if you got accused for something which you did not, God would intervene to rectify faults of others. Your own fault, She would not intervene, but other's fault to your detriment would be rectified. Which God often did not. See the witch hunts all across Europe.
It's like nominal Christians do not read or follow the Bible, unsurprising.
Returning to the WIP Discussion:
Dreams have odd reactions, but if he's lucid (page 187) something besides bones might be there.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Next picture: we see Alex perform a psychokinetic attack on an Umiak (hard)trooper appearing over the rim of the ditch.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

DCR wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:46 pm
"You call yourselves skulls? Why don't you get off your asses and help me climb that giant tube or whatever?"

Jagged

Post by Jagged »