WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

harlequin2262

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by harlequin2262 »

Arioch DID mention that loroi!Chess would make an appearance soon.

novius

Post by novius »

Luge wrote:Soldiers are all soldiers, and pilots are all pilots. Talon and Spiral aren't thinking of Alex as a strategic resource or a science project like Tempo and Beryl are. Alex is probably relieved to talk to an alien that isn't trying to bully him, interrogate him or just plain milk him for information for the last month.

To them, just talking about star charts, drinking caffeine and shooting the breeze sounds like a good time. Preferably away from those diplomatic types and the senior officers. And now you mention it, have you ever heard of a game called "cards"...?

A.
That thought crossed my mind too. Especially since Alex felt the need to set things right with his actual rank rather than the one which simply defaulted to him because he had been the sole survivor of this ship and its mission.

Yup, Talon and maybe Spiral are the proverbial grunts and Alex would bond much more easily to them rather than the brass which is represented by Tempo and to an extent Beryl. Fireblade is a wholly different matter, she'd be just plain scary... :)

novius

Post by novius »

harlequin2262 wrote:Arioch DID mention that loroi!Chess would make an appearance soon.
I think chess and something like that would be what Beryl herself might suggest. Or Tempo. To gauge his mental capabilities, strategic thinking and his approach to difficult situations.

With Talon, she or rather Alex himself would come up with an easygoing game of chance.

I just imagine it:

Alex: "Name of the game is five card stud."
Talon: "I am sorry, I seem not to understand. What would have males to do with this particular game? Or is your gender an essential part of it?"
Alex: "Uh..."

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Speaking of watching Star Trek, one of the things that always impressed me when I was little, was the dramatic lighting they used in some of their movies.
SpoilerShow
I get the feeling Alex has the brains for Loroichess, the question though is how fast he'll pick it up. First game upset, or a few weeks of waiting in his cell? :P

harlequin2262

Post by harlequin2262 »

novius wrote: I think chess and something like that would be what Beryl herself might suggest. Or Tempo. To gauge his mental capabilities, strategic thinking and his approach to difficult situations.

With Talon, she or rather Alex himself would come up with an easygoing game of chance.

I just imagine it:

Talon: "I am sorry, I seem not to understand. What would have males to do with this particular game? Or is your gender an essential part of it?"
Well that's just screaming for a strip poker joke.

novius

Post by novius »

icekatze wrote:I get the feeling Alex has the brains for Loroichess, the question though is how fast he'll pick it up. First game upset, or a few weeks of waiting in his cell? :P
Of course he has. First, everyone on the crew is trained and authorized to initate First Contact to an extent... though having an Ensign do it would need extreme circumstances which they actually are... and Earth would definitely want to send its finest.

Second, it would take serious gray matter to match up to Beryl (pg. 107). So yes, I'd agree that he might have the brains...

novius

Post by novius »

harlequin2262 wrote:
novius wrote:I just imagine it:

Well that's just screaming for a strip poker joke.
I was tempted. But planning to keep that one for another time. Though with their gender ratio being 1:8 and encounters between their genders sort of formalized I'm not sure that Loroi would get the full implications of the game. But I'd dearly like for Alex to have it spell out to them... ;)

Maybe the "not-getting" part may lead him to being roped into such a game and the Loroi use their telepathy to trounce him...

elorran

Post by elorran »

So I was bored... "just one more turn" :P

CF2

Post by CF2 »

novius wrote:Maybe the "not-getting" part may lead him to being roped into such a game and the Loroi use their telepathy to trounce him...
He should definitely be wary of any 1 on 1 challenges.

Alex: "Okay, I'm putting a ban on spectators watching from my side of the table when we play."
Tempo: "Only if we play without a table that obstructs the view next time. Now did you have any garments left or...?"
Talon: "Nothing in that absurd orange."
Beryl: "There is the other sock, and then only the last piece, and then..."
Alex: "I can locate what I'm wearing without everyone's help, thanks!"

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

The use of telepathy does bring up an important notion that I hadn't really considered, with regards to Loroichess. If the Loroi are accustomed to using their telepathy to pick up hints from their opponent, his resistance to that might give him an edge even as a beginner.

novius

Post by novius »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

The use of telepathy does bring up an important notion that I hadn't really considered, with regards to Loroichess. If the Loroi are accustomed to using their telepathy to pick up hints from their opponent, his resistance to that might give him an edge even as a beginner.
Interesting point. Same would go for poker. What would be the point in bluffing if the other players could read the own intentions? Hmmm. Could it be that such games act as a training to hide from each other, too? Loroi have their own internal rivalries and conflict, too, so even if it's frowned upon in polite society, they would see the merits of such an ability.

GabrielGABFonseca

Post by GabrielGABFonseca »

Never mind all this silly talk about "Chess" or "Poker"! We all know what human game the Loroi will really get into...
SpoilerShow
Tauntingly: "Enzin tii Eilis mé sibreg ranii tó lanzedad..."

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

Just don't tell them about Monopoly. No need to give them any more reasons to scourge Humanity from existence.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Overkill Engine wrote:Just don't tell them about Monopoly. No need to give them any more reasons to scourge Humanity from existence.
Never ever let loroi play the bank.

Whale

Post by Whale »

So... spiders? Lovercraftian reveal regarding the nav data? She remembered she left the oven on?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

And another one:
Just looks like a discussion on maps.
Possibly Beryl is zooming out a bit, to show Alex a full sized map (and not just the region), so that he can understand their logistical issues regarding sending a team to the meeting point, or to Earth and her colonies...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Krulle wrote:And another one:
Just looks like a discussion on maps.
Possibly Beryl is zooming out a bit, to show Alex a full sized map (and not just the region), so that he can understand their logistical issues regarding sending a team to the meeting point, or to Earth and her colonies...

Beryl and Talon could be realising that Bellermines route is illogical for a lone ship on a contact mission but make perfect sense if there are more ships out there. :o

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

And that they are likely up to meet Umiak somewhere too.
And that thus a certain amount of hurry is in order.

And they might discuss the implications of a possibly guiding power, who led the humans to these likely systems, despite having neither contact with Loroi or Umiak, and the Orgus being from the other side of the Umiak, and allegedly only refugees. How did anyone know and was able to advice humanity that "contact" would be likely in these systems?

All these question would also lead to the question of Alex being an agent for whom? Knowingly or unknowingly...
(But seeing that the Historians are ahead of the Loroi on the tech curve, conversations inside a shuttle in contested areas might not be safe...)
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Could be that Talon is letting on that making real contact will be a long term goal with the current state of things, since the human systems are so out of the way and behind the tech curve as to be a one-way trip for most current long range vessels the Loroi have. Beryl is definitely looking worried, as though Alex's reaction is far from happy. He probably mentioned working more with Tempo, and all Beryl's hopes of getting close and hitting the information mother-lode are slipping through her fingers.

Zamballo

Post by Zamballo »

Beryl kind of looks like an inept PC user who is shocked and surprised when a pop up appears. Leaned back, concerned look, hands hold high so as to say: "It wasn't me!" Assuming she is still sitting down, then it makes sense that Talon, the trained pilot then takes over the interface and thus leans forward.