WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Krulle »

The handshake was also a sign of equalness.
You did not shake hands with persons of a status below yours, neither did you get to shake hands with those of higher levels (you bowed to them).

But other Earth cultures have also weird cultures of greeting: the nose kiss of Inuit; the Hongi of the Māori,...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Just think if Humanity had adopted cheek kissing as a cultural greeting standard!

CJSF

harlequin2262

Post by harlequin2262 »

dragoongfa wrote:What I think happened so far:

Beryl having been raised either by Tempo or Fireblade ... and rushes to the cockpit to find Talon and Alex shaking hands while Talon gloating how she made a close friend of the alien and how she learned something Beryl didn't know about him.
Aha, so this is primarily a conspiracy of Tempos. A Sun and Wind stratagem perhaps.

Galactic Scholar

Post by Galactic Scholar »

Woot, so many new pages!

NuclearIceCream

Post by NuclearIceCream »

icekatze wrote:Some people think it is a tradition that come from ancient times when people would check to make sure the other wasn't armed, but there is some evidence that it is also used to transfer personally identifying smells.
I think its not checking that others are armed so much as you are putting the hand that would normally be used to wield forward in a gesture of "I come in peace". Also, while anthropologically the smell thing might have been first, it probably stopped being a thing before the first civilizations started cropping up. Which would mean that from a modern standpoint, the "I come in peace" meaning is probably more correct. Assuming of course that that explanation has any modicum of truth to it.

Oh hey also, I have heard a different reason for its existence. Back in the day, when tribes would make a deal they would make a blood covenant by mingling their blood. Often this was done by cutting some part of the hand/wrist area and clasping forearms together. And I think it went that when these people would meet again they might clasp arms together in greeting.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

When it comes to human greetings, an open hand is a common theme throughout. Whether it is waving, shaking hands, saluting, high fiving, it is important to show the hand not clenched in anger.

Arent

Post by Arent »

icekatze wrote:but it would be pretty funny if Tempo was actually thinking, "Wow, this human sure is weird and smelly, and he can't even hear anything I'm thinking!"
Shouldn't Tempo actually be extremely interested in Alex? After all, she can't hear anything that he is thinking. And afaik, she is used to know exactly what other people/species/whatever think.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

She is a Mizol and Mizols undoubtedly know how to hide a lot of the mental stuff and were trained not to rely on telepathy as much as the rest of their kind since their diplomatic duties bring them in contact with aliens who are harder to 'read' telepathically than Loroi (Also wars on Perrein were bound to be Mizols vs Mizols so they had to adapt by not relying on telepathy for certain functions).

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Arent wrote:
icekatze wrote:but it would be pretty funny if Tempo was actually thinking, "Wow, this human sure is weird and smelly, and he can't even hear anything I'm thinking!"
Shouldn't Tempo actually be extremely interested in Alex? After all, she can't hear anything that he is thinking. And afaik, she is used to know exactly what other people/species/whatever think.

Oh, she is. So much that in fact she changed her travel plans just to watch him like a hawk...
... but even a war lady needs her beauty sleep first. :lol:

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

cacambo43 wrote:Just think if Humanity had adopted cheek kissing as a cultural greeting standard!

CJSF
Geographically, twothirds of my country and populationwise more then half he people are involved.
That includes quite a number of males. :shock:

thicket

Post by thicket »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

When it comes to human greetings, an open hand is a common theme throughout. Whether it is waving, shaking hands, saluting, high fiving, it is important to show the hand not clenched in anger.
there are exceptions.....

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

In one of those mistakes where one doesn't even catch it after making it, I failed to catch my earlier typo. I intended to type Talon, and for some reason typed Tempo instead. The mind is a strange apparatus, indeed.

Also, I suppose some people use the fist bump as a greeting, but I've never really seen it used that way. I only ever see it used as a means of congratulation or respect by people who have already met and established that they are friends. The fist bump does remind me of that thing that friends do where they mock insult each other, which ends up being effectively a sign of trust that someone can be unguarded around their peers.

thicket

Post by thicket »

yup. I wouldn't fist bump a stranger :)

and any kind of greeting can be misinterpreted if different cultures are involved

NuclearIceCream

Post by NuclearIceCream »

icekatze wrote:The fist bump does remind me of that thing that friends do where they mock insult each other, which ends up being effectively a sign of trust that someone can be unguarded around their peers.
I wonder how the Loroi would react to the mock insults. Even to outside human observers this practice can be seen as odd. Yet it is still exceedingly common. Like imagine if Beryl learns the language and Jardin had his best bro with him and they just started ripping into each other. How would that look to Beryl?

novius

Post by novius »

Alex might not be a Captain Kirk, but now there are two Loroi starting out to be rather standoffish, but warming up to him rather quickly. First Beryl, and now Talon.

On a professional level, Beryl and Tempo would see Alexander Jardin as a porential asset. Be it for insights into an alien science and biology on Beryl's side or intelligence on Tempo's side. And on personal level... well, it does look like a bout of jealousy on Beryl's part. After all, Talon seemingly got an easy rapport to Alex only a minute after her meeting him where Beryl had to work herself into his graces for a longer time... And Talon beat her to him allowing himself to being touched by her before Beryl herself got that far. (After all, see pg. 101 - she got quite far into his personal space on the second to last panel, but on the last they were separated by an arm's length again.)

Loroi may be too disciplined to have things erupt in a full blown catfight. But judging from the panel that could be in 117 or 118 I do forsee some posturing in the future.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Krulle wrote:The handshake was also a sign of equalness.
You did not shake hands with persons of a status below yours, neither did you get to shake hands with those of higher levels (you bowed to them).

But other Earth cultures have also weird cultures of greeting: the nose kiss of Inuit; the Hongi of the Māori,...
Sure you can. When you do you do it as a way to show respect to that person despite the difference is status. Ever done this with your boss? Presidents and kings LOVE to shake hands wit lowly commoners in official photo shoots etc. To initiate an handshake to a higher status person is a way to demand respect. This is very useful when refusing the handshake would mean loosing face.

ShadowDragon8685

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Krulle wrote:
I said it in Discord, I'll say it again here...

It looks like they're beholding the contents of the briefcase from Pulp Fiction - just, every previous grudge is forgotten, crack that briefcase open and have a look.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

They're opening the Ark of the Covenant.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

I wonder if it would be inappropriate to ask Beryl if she can think of any reason the Loroi might want to destroy "humaniti" in the foreseeable future, before Alex stars pointing at star systems.