WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Grayhome

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Grayhome »

Que the X-files music.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Oh, another one:
Well, let the speculations begin!

Is Alex hallucinating? (Then why does he look so surprised?)
Is it a mental image sent by Tempo to get a reaction from Beryl?
Is it a mental image that leaked from Beryl?
Is this the gist of a running joke aboard the Tempest?

Are Loroi even into kissing?

*ducks and hides*Yeah, this doesn't happen at all. I found this image someplace else I'm reading up and wanted to get reactions.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I am pretty sure this was a Valentine's titillating gift from Arioch.

Username

Post by Username »

dragoongfa wrote:I am pretty sure this was a Valentine's titillating gift from Arioch.
I seem to recall that being the long and short of it. :)

Though I cannot deny the appeal of that image being cannon. :lol:

Like Tempo suggestively sends that to beryl in the shuttle to get a rise out of her. She of course being incensed that tempo would even suggest that she would fraternize with an alien being. As well as trying to hide the fact that she really would like to get to know Alex more intimately. :lol:

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I'm sure Tempo knows full well how Beryl feels about Alex, on account of it being difficult to hide one's emotions when sending. She has probably chosen instead to disregard those feelings, or perhaps actively interfere. That cute picture aside, I'm not sure how Beryl actually feels. I suspect that some of her excitement comes from getting to study a new alien and learn about a new culture.

Do Listel with eidetic memory have a predisposition to being curious?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Why do you assume Beryl has 'sent' her presumed emotional state out in the open? AFAIK, Loroi also have some kind of 'shield' to superficial sensing of their inner thoughts/emotions by other Loroi.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Well, according to her GURPS character sheet, she is impulsive and easy to read. :)
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

A short temper too. :P
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I don't expect that Beryl has sent her emotional state in the open. I expect that she was debriefed by her superiors about Alex in some amount of depth, and that she probably doesn't have the training necessary or the motive to try to lie about Alex through Sanzai.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Aweee! How cute!

Humans are physically very similar to Loroi.. save skin tone and ears... they would seem very physically similar~ is it sooo complicated? :)

Alex is not unappealing to the eyes.. and his flesh is so much warmer compared to the Loroi he might be a very 'steamy' armful... not so complicated from Beryl's expression... at least to me!
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

NuclearIceCream

Post by NuclearIceCream »

All the recent activity on the WIP thread is killing me. The anticipation is really building.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Do you hear it?

I think that's the sound of the HYPE TRAIN :D
Don't delay, join today!

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

dragoongfa wrote:I am pretty sure this was a Valentine's titillating gift from Arioch.
Well, it was published 4 June 2013 [1], which sounds not like a Valentine's publication.
But then, this may be an amended version to replace a previous version, or without other Valentine's markings...

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Krulle wrote:
Well, it was published 4 June 2013 [1], which sounds not like a Valentine's publication.
But then, this may be an amended version to replace a previous version, or without other Valentine's markings...
Thou it would be fun if it was true. Maybee Beryl is sleepwalking? Or maybee she have been sampling som treat found by the salvage teams. :-)

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

But if it ever came into the maincomic, I would have a problem with it.
I love Outsider because it is soooo close to massive fanservice happening, yet always goes into another direction.

I know at least two artists who would try to make money from providing a "side story" comic with "fanservice".
It would hurt the credibility of Outsider, and thus the story.
Although it could (and knowing Humanity: would) bring in quite some readers on short term. But it would be readers who move away just as fast when the "fanservice" is not being provided anymore. Would we want such fans?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The kiss image was just something I did for fun and then later colored and posted for Valentine's Day. The only reason Beryl hasn't got any clothes on is that I was too lazy to draw them. It's not a scene that happens in the comic.

A story about a lone human surrounded by attractive alien women wouldn't be worthwhile if it didn't have some flirty fun with the subject, and there are relationships of various kinds between characters in the comic, but there's nothing in the story that I would consider fanservice. But I guess that depends on your definition. Some consider the very existence of the Loroi in the story (alien beauties in tight-fitting uniforms) to be fanservice.

Roeben

Post by Roeben »

Nah, It's only fanservice when you begin making up excuses to let stuff happen. An inter species relationship doesn't immediately count if it happens for a reason. You know, without the slapstick.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Well I think its sweet! And what is 'Space Opera' without a little romance? :)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I like the image very much.
It makes Beryl look like having discovered the film library of the Bellarmine, and being curious and having wakened her romantic side by chick-flick binging, she wants to make "it" happen by surprising Alex....

I found the pic and thought why wait for April 1st?

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

The kissing scean have lead to a lot of speculation that is interesting in itself but it is going of topic. I am suggestion a new topic for these kind of things, let say a loroi have worked for a while on at a new embassy on earth and now send a letter to a friend back home, what would be in that letter? A human merchant ship have arrived to the loroi union with whatever humanity can provide to make life easier during a crisis, how are they received by the locals? That kind of things. I made a intended as humors suggestion that Beryl may have have sampled some human teat to got her in love mode, maybe chocolate are a powerful aphrodisiac for loroi? A new loroi crew member on a human ship (hey it's a job) may actually by accident ingest something not meant for them causing interesting effects.

Point being, the speculation is fun. We should explore it but it is derailing this thread and it should have it's own. There it would also not be limited to characters in the comic.

edit: spelling error squashed, probably more of them lurking text thou.
Last edited by Sweforce on Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.