WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

elorran

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by elorran »

Its been a while since I read the support charactor names... from a thread a good while back. I was under the impression shoegirl was called "forest".

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

There are three members in the security detail on the shuttle. We know Fireblade and Reed, but who is the third?

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Turrosh Mak wrote:There are three members in the security detail on the shuttle. We know Fireblade and Reed, but who is the third?
That would Soroin Pideir Redshirt. :mrgreen:

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Turrosh Mak wrote:There are three members in the security detail on the shuttle. We know Fireblade and Reed, but who is the third?
Flint.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arioch wrote:
Flint.
Interesting name thou it made me think of the so called "soldiers names" in Sweden. In olden times commoners didn't have family names and officers frequently ended up with several soldiers with the same name under their command and remembering lot's of names is hard in itself, I dunno how teachers do it. Anyway "soldiers names" was names assigned to soldiers, typically describing them in some way so a muscular soldier cold be renamed "Stark" (Strong) or good runner be named "Rask" (older word for "Fast/Speedy") and those soldiers names caught on and became family names.

"Flint" however make me think of the flint used to ignite the gunpowder in a musket and as such would be an excellent soldier name. However, if the loroi fought melee battles until industrialism, chances are they never used flintlock muskets. As such this is unlikely to be the reason why "Flint" are used as a name. Maybe it's have to do with her hair colour or something or perhaps most loroi are simply given a name with little tough about it's meaning except for the exceptional ones like "Fireblade".

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Sweforce wrote: Interesting name thou it made me think of the so called "soldiers names" in Sweden. In olden times commoners didn't have family names and officers frequently ended up with several soldiers with the same name under their command and remembering lot's of names is hard in itself, I dunno how teachers do it. Anyway "soldiers names" was names assigned to soldiers, typically describing them in some way so a muscular soldier cold be renamed "Stark" (Strong) or good runner be named "Rask" (older word for "Fast/Speedy") and those soldiers names caught on and became family names.

Well it not that far from reality. most people in a close group like that end up having a nick name that caught with them usually because of some memorable action, an amusing anecdote or for some defining characteristic.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Some of the earliest human weapons and tools were made of flint. And in the stone age, flint was also useful for starting fires. (I guess it still is, if you're into extreme camping, or you're lost in the woods.)

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

Bad Alexander Jardin pick up lines:

"Hey, Flint. My friends call me steel. Want to rub together and make some sparks?"
"Reeds on my planet are used in wind instruments. If I blow on you will you make a joyful noise?"
"Fireblade, your burning stare has pierced a smoking hole in my heart"

(next)

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

Some of the earliest human weapons and tools were made of flint. And in the stone age, flint was also useful for starting fires. (I guess it still is, if you're into extreme camping, or you're lost in the woods.)
Yes but with the loroi's special history they may never have had a stone age. Or maybe they did, or maybe even Flint's diral started out at that level as an exercise and it was found that she was good at it. Thus when the others used broken branches for spears she sharpened a stone and mounted that and so on.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Or she might have been the only one who could get a fire started. I understand pyrokinesis to be rare.

Edited in: Another note: we still use flint in cigarette lighters. As we exited the stone age, we simply made our flint-based fire-starting kits better by adding metals that flint could cause a spark with to them.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Turrosh Mak wrote:Bad Alexander Jardin pick up lines:

"Hey, Flint. My friends call me steel. Want to rub together and make some sparks?"
"Reeds on my planet are used in wind instruments. If I blow on you will you make a joyful noise?"
"Fireblade, your burning stare has pierced a smoking hole in my heart"

(next)
*Beryl roll up a newspaper then hit Alex on the head*
Bad humanity BAD!

JQBogus

Post by JQBogus »

The thing is, these might be REALLY good pickup lines to the Loroi. Their males, being outnumbered 10 to 1, might not have never had to 'up their game' or even develop one in the first place...

More likely, though, the Loroi will just be confused and put off since their males don't have to do this kind of thing, and it is thus 'unmasculine'

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

That's an interesting point. We should make a thread about it.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I see that someone changed something in page 64.

http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider064.html

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

dragoongfa wrote:I see that someone changed something in page 64.

Little did Jardin know that a "cycle" is the lifecycle of a loroi, about 400 years. They will never let him go and he will never see home again... :twisted:

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

Sweforce wrote:

Little did Jardin know that a "cycle" is the lifecycle of a loroi, about 400 years. They will never let him go and he will never see home again... :twisted:
**deadpan**

Oh no. The human is being kept prisoner by gorgeous alien space amazons. Truly, his is an unenviable and perilous fate.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Eh?

CJSF

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

cacambo43 wrote:

Eh?

CJSF
Until recently something would only take a few moments.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

dragoongfa wrote:
cacambo43 wrote:

Eh?

CJSF
Until recently something would only take a few moments.
Oh yeah! I remember that now.. so I assume a cycle is more akin to a day, then - which seems more realistic.

CJSF

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

a cycle could be way more than just a day

A cycle could represent the change of crew on that ship. it could represent a week, A month, the change of season, A time between mating (what? it could)

so let just settle for: an relatively short time to accomplish the task at hand.