WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Zarya

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Zarya »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

Looks like someone's in a hurry. The question is: are they hurrying to a rendezvous or not.
Prescient remark, now panel 130 is online!

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Talon didn't like the answer...

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Ouch! Wonder what's happening to her...

Apparently I'm really sh!t at placing emotions on facial expressions, but from how her body's bent backwards and and eyes pinched shut it looks like she's in extreme pain and shock screaming her lungs out as if someone just stuck a red-hot knife in her back... Or someone is quite brutally mind raping her... Enemy "farshouter" attack?

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnn!

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Allright i'll post two prediction...

Number one: there's been a timelslip and for the last three days Beryl and Jardin has done nothing but eskimo kisses and telling eachother how much they love on another and poor Talon is now threatening to ram the shuttle in to the nearest star.

Number two: The Umiak have found a way to turn Loroi telepathy against them (probably by integrating living loroi in to computers le shadow style) and these loroi gives an enormous telepathic shout that cripples entire fleets of the loroi. This will lead to Jardins shining moment because of lotai and he will come up with a plan to save them all and ensure first contact between humanity and the loroi.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I think people are overthinking this, that's what a rant to trump all rants looks like.

Inbefore: All males must close their ears.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

My 2 cents:
-They will either be under attack and got hit.
-Or Clearbrook will kick the bucket.
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Chekist_Felix

Post by Chekist_Felix »

I think Clearbrook probably answered something in the spirit of "Sorry folks, but it's not worth the risk. I must think of my crew first. You are on your own!" and this is Talon reaction. Maybe Clearbrook don't really know full truth about shuttle passengers?
My literacy is cringe-fest... Apologies for what you're about to read.

Luge

Post by Luge »

My money is on: The Umiak have developed some kind of anti-Loroi psychic scream weapon.

Beryl realises she is immune because she is touching Alex at the time, which dampens or even cancels the weapon's effects.

Humanity is now key to Loroi survival.

L.

Chekist_Felix

Post by Chekist_Felix »

Luge wrote:My money is on: The Umiak have developed some kind of anti-Loroi psychic scream weapon.

Beryl realises she is immune because she is touching Alex at the time, which dampens or even cancels the weapon's effects.

L.
This is... this is actually pretty cool theory.
My literacy is cringe-fest... Apologies for what you're about to read.

Username

Post by Username »

Luge wrote:My money is on: The Umiak have developed some kind of anti-Loroi psychic scream weapon.

L.
Oooh, I like that theory. Especially because it would necessitate prolonged contact between Beryl and Alex. :lol:
Even better, for everyone on the shuttle to actually talk to each other they all have to touch Alex. So you have a Loroi huddle with Alex awkwardly in the center.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Username wrote:

L.
Oooh, I like that theory. Especially because it would necessitate prolonged contact between Beryl and Alex. :lol:
Even better, for everyone on the shuttle to actually talk to each other they all have to touch Alex. So you have a Loroi huddle with Alex awkwardly in the center.
But it wasn't working that way at Naam, so I don't think if the Umiak have developed such a weapon that we've seen it. Maybe just a passive part of it? Talon looked more in pain that angry, so that has me a little worried.

CJSF

novius

Post by novius »

Chekist_Felix wrote:I think Clearbrook probably answered something in the spirit of "Sorry folks, but it's not worth the risk. I must think of my crew first. You are on your own!" and this is Talon reaction. Maybe Clearbrook don't really know full truth about shuttle passengers?
I'm pretty sure Clearbrook never got told. Opsec - some things are better told in person rather than over a comm channel one has to assume is insecure. And given what Alex's and the human's existence in general would mean to Loroi at a whole, it's a piece of information that must be guarded carefully even amongst friends, as demonstrated by Tempo with cutting off the Barsam ambassador.

So, understandable that Clearbrook ist not risking itself - a frigate with a full crew complement - for a shuttle ferrying some noncombatants.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I do not think the Clearbrook is thinking about itself.
Now it is about the Loroi empire. The alarm needs to be carried forward, ASAP.
The clearbrook is expendable, the shuttle is, to achieve this goal.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Jericho wrote:Number two: The Umiak have found a way to turn Loroi telepathy against them (probably by integrating living loroi in to computers le shadow style) and these loroi gives an enormous telepathic shout that cripples entire fleets of the loroi. This will lead to Jardins shining moment because of lotai and he will come up with a plan to save them all and ensure first contact between humanity and the loroi.
I always thought an FTL torpedo with a farseeing Loroi mind strapped in as its method of seeking targets would be a thing.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

L.
Human hug pillows now mandatory at all Loroi stations.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

While Umiak mind blasters do sound interesting, I think if the Umiak had such a thing, they wouldn't need overwhelming numbers and super risky deep jump maneuvers. If they could effectively incapacitate their enemies in a way that leaves no chance for defense, they could just waltz in with a standard issue attrition fleet and clean house.

To me this reads more like:

Clearbrook: We're leaving you behind to die, sorry, not sorry.
Talon: Daaaaaaamnit!

Looking at it from Talon's point of view, she has survived many battles fighting the Umiak head on, and maybe was even ready to go out in a blaze of glory. But now she's going to kick the bucket like a chump in a defenseless transport because she was figuratively stabbed in the back by her own side. Even if it is the strategically sound move on Clearbrook's part, that's still probably cold comfort for Talon.

Honestly, I've seen people make that kind of face over smaller things than being told you're going to die horribly and soon. Like, I have a friend who, when we were younger, would occasionally shout and throw things across the room when they lost in a video game.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

icekatze wrote: Honestly, I've seen people make that kind of face over smaller things than being told you're going to die horribly and soon. Like, I have a friend who, when we were younger, would occasionally shout and throw things across the room when they lost in a video game.
True, but I'm looking forward to seeing Talon text bubble in the next page. ( soon. . . . .ish? )
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

I found out where Rick and Morty got its look from.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

I know this won't be right, but I can't unthink it in regards to Talon's picture. The following dialog:

Talon: Oh god it hurts!
Alex: Mr. Whiskers! That's where you've been? Guess I'm not the only survivor!
Mr. Whiskers (Bellarmine's ship cat): Meow?