WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Werra

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Werra »

Maybe she wants to fish Alex out of space again, for another wakeup at the medbay.

But seriously, a bunch of (presumably lightly armed) tankers and transports just appeared before her unit. The crews of those ships suffer from jump sickness. If the 51th comes down on them now the losses of material could be heavy. And just after resupply with full ordnance. That's the wet dream of any raider.

If one tanker carries enough fuel to refuel 5 times, then one tanker lost stops 5 ships from advancing much further.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Werra wrote:But seriously, a bunch of (presumably lightly armed) tankers and transports just appeared before her unit. The crews of those ships suffer from jump sickness. If the 51th comes down on them now the losses of material could be heavy. And just after resupply with full ordnance. That's the wet dream of any raider.

If one tanker carries enough fuel to refuel 5 times, then one tanker lost stops 5 ships from advancing much further.
One way understrength strike group against 6 divisions and their gunboats? Not to mention those initial 8 divisions that jumped in from Rallis only need to cut their acceleration to join with those support divisions and have the firepower of fourteen divisions available...

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

GeoModder wrote:One way understrength strike group against 6 divisions and their gunboats? Not to mention those initial 8 divisions that jumped in from Rallis only need to cut their acceleration to join with those support divisions and have the firepower of fourteen divisions available...
"Never tell me the odds!"
-Stillstorm

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

fredgiblet wrote:
GeoModder wrote:One way understrength strike group against 6 divisions and their gunboats? Not to mention those initial 8 divisions that jumped in from Rallis only need to cut their acceleration to join with those support divisions and have the firepower of fourteen divisions available...
"Never tell me the odds!"
-Stillstorm
-Stillstorm, famous last words

(J/K)

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Seeing as Arioch has just delivered a Barsam overview, I think we can expect some jolly cooperation to appear in the comic soon.

At least until they learn Alex is telepathically inert, and decry humanity as dangerously corrupt demonspawn.

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

CF2 wrote:Seeing as Arioch has just delivered a Barsam overview, I think we can expect some jolly cooperation to appear in the comic soon.

At least until they learn Alex is telepathically inert, and decry humanity as dangerously corrupt demonspawn.
Something tells me, given the fact that humans have always been prone to religious delusions, that the Barsam Church will find a receptive audience on Earth. It will be the hip new space age religion.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Victor_D wrote:
CF2 wrote:Seeing as Arioch has just delivered a Barsam overview, I think we can expect some jolly cooperation to appear in the comic soon.

Something tells me, given the fact that humans have always been prone to religious delusions, that the Barsam Church will find a receptive audience on Earth. It will be the hip new space age religion.
Something tells me that a lot of humanity will consider the Barsam church to go against their belief in one god and the more zealous will come up with an alternative explanation to the fall of the soia. Namely that they were punished by god for their blasphemous creation of the demons, trolls and witches and humanity have a mandate of heaven to conquer these clearly heretical lifeforms and to that end god blessed man with an innate defense against their sorcery and an unparalleled technological growth. This will go just fab i'm sure.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Jericho wrote:
Victor_D wrote:Something tells me, given the fact that humans have always been prone to religious delusions, that the Barsam Church will find a receptive audience on Earth. It will be the hip new space age religion.
Something tells me that a lot of humanity will consider the Barsam church to go against their belief in one god and the more zealous will come up with an alternative explanation to the fall of the soia. Namely that they were punished by god for their blasphemous creation of the demons, trolls and witches and humanity have a mandate of heaven to conquer these clearly heretical lifeforms and to that end god blessed man with an innate defense against their sorcery and an unparalleled technological growth. This will go just fab i'm sure.
Let's wait to purge that heresy for when we come to it.

The only reaction I'm concerned about from Alex is that he might be tempted to use the Barsam presence as a means to put some distance between himself and his red haired "honor guard".

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

You ran out of week, Arioch! ;)

I hope we get a double post this week. I hope everyone's been well.. catching up on the forum a bit.

I had a thought, maybe expanding a bit on some earlier speculation. What if the Outsiders are the Loroi? And Humanity's territory offers a place of exile and respite after the Umiak basically roll over the Union? Yikes!

And might we hear about the fate of the rest of the Scout Corp?

CJSF

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

cacambo43 wrote:You ran out of week, Arioch! ;)

I hope we get a double post this week. I hope everyone's been well.. catching up on the forum a bit.

I had a thought, maybe expanding a bit on some earlier speculation. What if the Outsiders are the Loroi? And Humanity's territory offers a place of exile and respite after the Umiak basically roll over the Union? Yikes!

CJSF
My guess he is busy designing 3D models, perhaps pf the inside of the Barsam Courier or the Gora Relay station. Doing this for the Highlander was a major cause of delay.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Sweforce wrote:

CJSF
My guess he is busy designing 3D models, perhaps pf the inside of the Barsam Courier or the Gora Relay station. Doing this for the Highlander was a major cause of delay.
Or he read my graphic Alex/Mozin slash-fic and had to take the week of.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

boldilocks wrote:
Sweforce wrote:

CJSF
Or he read my graphic Alex/Mozin slash-fic and had to take the week of.
See! This is the reason we can't have nice things on this forum.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

cacambo43 wrote:

CJSF
The Umiak are expanding in the direction of human space as well. Remember, it's guesstimated to be about a decade before the alien empires find TCA space on their own. This is why the contact mission was established.
I second the question on the Scout Corps ships :P.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Mr.Tucker wrote:
cacambo43 wrote:

CJSF
The Umiak are expanding in the direction of human space as well. Remember, it's guesstimated to be about a decade before the alien empires find TCA space on their own. This is why the contact mission was established.
I second the question on the Scout Corps ships :P.
I've heard that before, but we know from what the Loroi have said, in-comic, that there's this Great Wasteland and the area is not well charted. There would seem to be little incentive for either empire to make their way to our area, given the huge logistical challenges and lack of clear "pay off", if you didn't know another race of beings lived here. Neither race seems especially predisposed to exploration, for exploration's sake.

CJSF

Werra

Post by Werra »

And if the Loroi really have to flee, the Umiak should be busy for generations subjugating the original Loroi territory.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

@Arioch - do you by chance have some WIP bits of the next page you would like to share? I'm sure people are worried that you might have sidelined the comic again...

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

entity2636 wrote:@Arioch - do you by chance have some WIP bits of the next page you would like to share? I'm sure people are worried that you might have sidelined the comic again...
I hereby make an official call for tar and feathers!!

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Hey, tar-and-feathering a follow forumite might be entertaining for Arioch, and thus lead to more sidetracking the comic.

I'm sure he jsut got some extra artwork to do somewhere, to make ends meet.*

*like playing some or other game, so that his follow clan members don't get killing due to his absence.

*ducks and out*
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Every day without an update is another slash-fic chapter!

Hmm make that week.

I'll get back to you guys in half a year.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

boldilocks wrote:Every day without an update is another slash-fic chapter!

Hmm make that week.

I'll get back to you guys in half a year.
It's like slash-fic roulette, save us Arioch! :P