WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

ShadowDragon8685

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

[color=red]Arioch[/color] wrote:Image

Concepts for Spiral's dagger/pendant.
Her nilnol, right? :D

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Good you quoted the post over, again, so it's top of the page.

Nilnol? Can't find that term anywhere....

If it's Loroi, then it just a transliteration into Roman letters. ;)

That dagger looks awful for the work of cutting..
It just looks like it is NOT intended to enter the skin of the opponent.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

ShadowDragon8685

Krulle wrote:Good you quoted the post over, again, so it's top of the page.

Nilnol? Can't find that term anywhere....

If it's Loroi, then it just a transliteration into Roman letters. ;)

That dagger looks awful for the work of cutting..
It just looks like it is NOT intended to enter the skin of the opponent.
We came up with it on the discord chat when I horrifically mangled the word "noillir" and Arioch decided it was too good of a word not to use.
Arioch wrote:Okay, it's official. A “nilnol” is a Belerid utility knife, traditionally made of bone. It’s sometimes used as a diral seii, as it was for Talon & Spiral “High-tide lowlives.”
As for the dagger looking awful for cutting, that's probably because it has been removed from its handle... And the tang has apparently been filed off; or else there never was one in the first place; maybe a giant pocketknife type dealie?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Ah, thanks for the explanation.
Never participated in a chat with Arioch. As far as I can remember.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I use Discord for a number of things now (including discussions with Sven), so I'm on a lot of the day.

The nilnol is a Belerid folding utility knife, traditionally carved from the tooth of a Taben leviathan (a giant invertebrate lamprey-like creature). The cutting blade is on the right side, and the idea is that the serrations on the left are part of the natural surface of the tooth, and could be used as a crude saw tool. The versions on the left are more realistic (with a notch for a locking mechanism), but I think it's visual overkill for something that's going to be drawn very small, and I want it to look like something hand-carved rather than industrially produced, so I'll probably go with something simpler, more like the right-most version. Although now that I think about it, having serrations poking out of a closed pocket knife is probably a deal-breaker.

This particular blade was the diral seii (a ritual item associated with the training child-bands) for Talon & Spiral's child group, and was probably carved by one of the older children who served as sort-of-councillors for the group. This would be something that most Beleri natives would know how to do. The knife had a folding handle (which was probably carved from nagen wood) and was carried by the band leader. At graduation when the band was disbanded, the knife was ritually thrown into a bonfire. One of the band-members retrieved it before it was completely consumed (as is traditional) and salvaged the fire-scorched blade as a pendant. She died recently, and the item passed to Spiral.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I suppose it depends on how the knife blade is held in the closed position. Maybe something like this?
SpoilerShow
Since the blade isn't huge, I could see the handle snapping open like a clam-shell case, where the blade can be rotated freely from retracted to extended when the case is open, and when it is closed the blade is held in place. It would certainly be a primitive solution when compared to the kinds of locking mechanisms in machined folding blades, but perhaps that's what a young group of hunters would be able to manage? The case structure at "A" is the part the holds the blade in place while the case is shut, although I'm sure someone can tell me how this is a terrible idea.
Still, I think they're all neat designs.

Also, that expression on her face! Always with the fun expressions, these Loroi. :)

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

SpoilerShow
It IS a horrible idea... you want a leather strap to hold the entire thing closed, not a snap :p.

Though with a bit more thought, I think it really is a bit off: you really only need one side of the case. Drill a hole in the case, around where the hole of the blade would be when stowed, tie a retention knot in a length of leather (or other) cord, and run through BOTH holes (case and blade). Then cut a slot where the hole in the blade should be while it's in use. Finally, make certain that a slot is running all the way around the tang-holder position (can be a shallower extension of the slot mentioned above, or can be separate), & cut large (in one direction, or the other) enough that the cord can be wrapped around it multiple times to secure the blade while it's in use.
Given Arioch's description of it's origin, I think that's the way that your version would eventually mutate into. A better designed version would probably even have a "notch" or similar to seat the blade better, but I doubt that those councilors would have enough experience with the things to realize the added utility.

dapple26

Post by dapple26 »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

I suppose it depends on how the knife blade is held in the closed position. Maybe something like this?
SpoilerShow
Since the blade isn't huge, I could see the handle snapping open like a clam-shell case, where the blade can be rotated freely from retracted to extended when the case is open, and when it is closed the blade is held in place. It would certainly be a primitive solution when compared to the kinds of locking mechanisms in machined folding blades, but perhaps that's what a young group of hunters would be able to manage? The case structure at "A" is the part the holds the blade in place while the case is shut, although I'm sure someone can tell me how this is a terrible idea.
Still, I think they're all neat designs.

Also, that expression on her face! Always with the fun expressions, these Loroi. :)
I do like the basic design although is it safe to have a blade just hanging like that. I can imagine getting stabbed if you trip or having it fly in your face during some combat maneuvers.
Also, I'm pretty sure that's a death stare.

ShadowDragon8685

dapple26 wrote:I do like the basic design although is it safe to have a blade just hanging like that. I can imagine getting stabbed if you trip or having it fly in your face during some combat maneuvers.
Also, I'm pretty sure that's a death stare.
I would imagine she expects to be wearing her helmet if she has to do any combat maneuvers. At the moment, she's piloting a shuttle.

Also, death stare? I think that's more her "what the fuck is that thing? Am I supposed to kill it, initiate mating rituals with it, or put in the cupboard?" look.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote: Also, death stare? I think that's more her "what the fuck is that thing? Am I supposed to kill it, initiate mating rituals with it, or put in the cupboard?" look.
lol... more likely...

"Why's THAT Pink Male in my cockpit? He might touch something and break it and he's not even in a protective G-Suit~ he might get sick and make a mess... !!"
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

ShadowDragon8685

sunphoenix wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote: Also, death stare? I think that's more her "what the fuck is that thing? Am I supposed to kill it, initiate mating rituals with it, or put in the cupboard?" look.
lol... more likely...

"Why's THAT Pink Male in my cockpit? He might touch something and break it and he's not even in a protective G-Suit~ he might get sick and make a mess... !!"
I think that falls under "put it in the cupboard".

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I would think that the use of telepathy would preclude any surprises, so long as they are in range of each other. On the other hand, Talon seems to have a demeanor not unlike the good Captain/Ensign, and I wouldn't put it past her to deliberately startle her co-pilot just to see the look on her face.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
sunphoenix wrote:
lol... more likely...

I think that falls under "put it in the cupboard".
Definitely "put it in the cupboard". The cupboard is always the right place for things that look inconvenient.

Though I'm pretty sure she's just reacting to Jardin asking something weird :p .

ShadowDragon8685

Absalom wrote:Definitely "put it in the cupboard". The cupboard is always the right place for things that look inconvenient.
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajRRbnerug8]Yep. Cupboards. Definitely the best place to stuff inconvenient things.
Though I'm pretty sure she's just reacting to Jardin asking something weird :p .
"What's this button do?" :)

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
Absalom wrote:Definitely "put it in the cupboard". The cupboard is always the right place for things that look inconvenient.
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajRRbnerug8]Yep. Cupboards. Definitely the best place to stuff inconvenient things.
"What's this button do?" :)
"What a lovely necklace... did your boyfriend give it to you?" :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arioch wrote:One of the band-members retrieved it before it was completely consumed (as is traditional) and salvaged the fire-scorched blade as a pendant. She died recently, and the item passed to Spiral.
I think we can safely assume that this is left behind on the mothership (not necessarily Tempest) and not carried in battle since, considering the weapons used in Outsidervers, there is probably very little left to salvage from a destroyed fighter.

discord

Post by discord »

I am unsure how to feel about being used by Arioch in such ways....

slightly more seriously, some fire and blunting by time it would be rather safe to carry a 'knife' in such a way during normal tasks, at this time trying to use it as a knife would be a non-trivial restoration project.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

discord wrote:I am unsure how to feel about being used by Arioch in such ways....

slightly more seriously, some fire and blunting by time it would be rather safe to carry a 'knife' in such a way during normal tasks, at this time trying to use it as a knife would be a non-trivial restoration project.
True, while bone probably wouldn't have burned to a meaningful extent before it got pulled back out, it could be a protein deposition instead, sort of like horn.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Uhm.. hey Arioch... any news on when that new page update you mentioned might be finished? Not pushing or anything.. just wondering...you told us keep gently nudging and all...
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Chekist_Felix

Post by Chekist_Felix »

sunphoenix wrote:Uhm.. hey Arioch... any news on when that new page update you mentioned might be finished? Not pushing or anything.. just wondering...you told us keep gently nudging and all...
Gently? He said to jump up and down on his head! :) So... yeah, some update would be nice.
My literacy is cringe-fest... Apologies for what you're about to read.