WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

dex drako

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by dex drako »

GeoModder wrote:The 'wings' of the Barsam courier remind me of the America class cruisers.
That ring structure on the courier, is it part of the shield generators, Arioch? At least, those blue 'windows' on the ring remind of a similar feature on the prongs of Loroi ships.
i'd say the rings are more likely part of the propulsion system, i could easily see them being some form of charge neutralizer, secondary accelerator units or something kind of magnetic confinement/thrust vectoring system.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The ring structure is the Barsam version of the control vanes that stick out the rear of the Loroi engines. This is the "floater drive" that uses an inertial amplifier to increase the effective reaction mass of the exhaust (as well as accelerating and/or vectoring it).

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

I see. Thanks for the explanation.
I asked because I wondered if this type of ship generates its shield 'aftwards' as to have better protection when on the run from Umiak gunboats. ;)

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

Arioch wrote:The ring structure is the Barsam version of the control vanes that stick out the rear of the Loroi engines. This is the "floater drive" that uses an inertial amplifier to increase the effective reaction mass of the exhaust (as well as accelerating and/or vectoring it).
So this is how they achieve these insane acceleration levels (nearly 30 gees), interesting. So I assume the Terran ships have so "low" acceleration rates because they lack this kind of technology...?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Victor_D wrote:
Arioch wrote:The ring structure is the Barsam version of the control vanes that stick out the rear of the Loroi engines. This is the "floater drive" that uses an inertial amplifier to increase the effective reaction mass of the exhaust (as well as accelerating and/or vectoring it).
So this is how they achieve these insane acceleration levels (nearly 30 gees), interesting. So I assume the Terran ships have so "low" acceleration rates because they lack this kind of technology...?
The Union engines have much greater power (matter annihilation vs. fusion), and the floater drive does get additional thrust by continuing to "push" on the exhaust after it has left the drive aperture, but the main advantage of increasing the reaction mass is to increase the efficiency of the drive, allowing high acceleration for extended periods. Increasing the mass of the propellant does not by itself increase the acceleration of a drive.

GabrielGABFonseca

Post by GabrielGABFonseca »

Blue, Yellow, Orange and White - Now, where have we seen this colour scheme applied to spaceships before...? ;)

It is a beauty, that much I can say. Good job, Arioch!
Tauntingly: "Enzin tii Eilis mé sibreg ranii tó lanzedad..."

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Yes, she is a beauty.
And I have scrolled through the Patreon pages again, and 'lo, she is there too (even in a public post).
And she has a name:
"Prophet's Reason", is armed (as can be seen in the sketch), and belongs to Rigai Mozin.
Well, either the name or the captain would've been sufficient, as above-linked page 57 includes the information of Rigai Mozin's ship name as well.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Whale

Post by Whale »

"Roughly to scale."

Huh, I assumed the barsam ship would be smaller. How big are those windows and containers?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Whale wrote:Image
"Roughly to scale."

Huh, I assumed the barsam ship would be smaller. How big are those windows and containers?
I think Barsams need high ceilings. ;)

Btw, Arioch, did you know the tactical panel on page 123 spells Gora as 'Garo' in Loroi Trade alphabet?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

It's just a concept sketch, man. :D
GeoModder wrote:Btw, Arioch, did you know the tactical panel on page 123 spells Gora as 'Garo' in Loroi Trade alphabet?
Thanks. Typing backwards in a foreign script is problematic.

Quazel

Post by Quazel »

Maybe someone can work on a babble like script for you?
KIKITIK-27-TIKHAK-TIKKUKIT 2020!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Quazel wrote:Maybe someone can work on a babble like script for you?
Siber just made one, and it works nice.

http://hwat.pathstoeat.com/tradeify/

Siber

Post by Siber »

I understand the font doesn't work on all browser/system combinations, not much I'll be able to do about that, but it'll reverse the text. might make the page a bit prettier eventually.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

The lines of text also flow bottom-to-top instead of top-to-bottom. It's Loroi Trade, not Alternian. :P
Don't delay, join today!

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Are the letters not getting converted because they don't exist in Trade? But both C and K had no Trade counterparts - is this just a glitch on my system/browser? How do Loroi make "K" sounds?

CJSF

Siber

Post by Siber »

@cacambo43: No glitch, your guess is right. Check out http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/loroi_trade.html and you will find no c or k. I imagine Loroi are perfectly capable of making K sounds through roughly the same means that humans do, they just don't use them in their language. Most languages omit a handful of possible sounds.

@Hālian: That seems like it'd be far too much work to fix and probably not relevant to the uses Arioch is likely to put it to.

...is what I was going to say when I first read your post this morning, but some quick research shows there's a possible way to do it easily, so I implemented that. I don't entirely trust it, so I did it as a second section on the site.

Actually a third, since Arioch told me what he'd really get use out of is a numeral conversion, which is understandable. So I did that too. Haven't gotten confirmation yet that it's working as desired, but in my testing it looks right, so there it is.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Is it intentional that the 'sh' character in Loroi Trade is used for the 'h' character in our alphabet?
I tried with 'humanity' --> 'itinamoh'.

Siber

Post by Siber »

I'm using a font that Arioch posted many moons ago. There's probably unicode character one could use for sh, but if you want something easily typable, it's gotta be one of the standard 26 letters used for it, and they've got an S but no H, so it makes sense. There's no Y or U, so one does wonder how they'd actually write 'humanity'. Oimaniti?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Siber wrote:I'm using a font that Arioch posted many moons ago. There's probably unicode character one could use for sh, but if you want something easily typable, it's gotta be one of the standard 26 letters used for it, and they've got an S but no H, so it makes sense. There's no Y or U, so one does wonder how they'd actually write 'humanity'. Oimaniti?
The answer must be somewhere in the forums since I asked that same question years and years ago. ;)

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Siber wrote:@cacambo43: No glitch, your guess is right. Check out http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/loroi_trade.html and you will find no c or k. I imagine Loroi are perfectly capable of making K sounds through roughly the same means that humans do, they just don't use them in their language. Most languages omit a handful of possible sounds.
I guess it's good they call him Jardin or Enzin instead of Alex.

CJSF