Concept Fanart of Future Terran Ship Designs

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

CrimsonFALKE

Re: Concept Fanart of Future Terran Ship Designs

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

discord wrote:crimson: well, considering that fire rate on railguns currently is counted in hours, might get that down to minutes, means you can get ONE shot off per gun, the extra effective range of the railguns higher muzzle velocity would be nice, but compare that to a chemical gatling, 0.5/minute(damn near dream levels of RoF.) or 4000/minute(currently available.), the second of the two is also a low power system and smaller, so you can have more of them....
i know which one i would prefer.
Well you really need to take into account an ETC can well do a good scale of weapons, not to mention the railgun can go a long way in the next 200+ years. Coil guns are much more likely to be functional.

discord

Post by discord »

crimson: ETC(ElectroThermal-chemical) guns ARE chemical guns, not railgun nor coilgun, it is just a chemical gun with advancement in ignition and propellants.
i do not see how that effects my argument that EM-powered guns as CIWS will not be a good idea.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

discord wrote:crimson: ETC(ElectroThermal-chemical) guns ARE chemical guns, not railgun nor coilgun, it is just a chemical gun with advancement in ignition and propellants.
i do not see how that effects my argument that EM-powered guns as CIWS will not be a good idea.
A railgun not good as a CIWS would largely depend on style and tracking, most Anti ship weapons can do close to mach 8. the only only thing that can fire in a similar speed is a rail gun. i mean really it only matters the type of counter measure needed. Most of your argument isn't valid because you really have failed to think of CIWS beyond an M61, and secondly you scratched out 200 years of research. Personally I think a laser is the way to go.

discord

Post by discord »

crimson: well, you brought up a slug thrower, i countered with a better slug thrower.
now a EM near C weapon, i'll counter with a particle beam weapon, both should work, but the particle beam would probably be superior.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Image Merry Christmas The TCMC's laser rifle. I know it looks very traditional with a RIS and battery in the stock like a common bullpup configuration although to be fair I gave it a thermal masking heat sink mounted along the barrel. The two blue circles are moissanite conductors that produce rapid fire beams.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

Drew this in two hours. I'm planning to colour it.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Very nice work man!

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:Very nice work man!
Thanks. This is only the second time I've done pencil-like drawing on my tablet. I may be using transparent grey a lot more in future.

I decided to draw this rather than build it on Starmade because it's a lot faster to draw it. The only problem is that I have a very poor sense of perspective.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

what did you think of my own ship I posted here?

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:what did you think of my own ship I posted here?
Can you try uploading it to Imgur or Postimg? It's 404ing for me so I can't see it.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

RedDwarfIV wrote:
CrimsonFALKE wrote:what did you think of my own ship I posted here?
Can you try uploading it to Imgur or Postimg? It's 404ing for me so I can't see it.
Image its not a fanfic ship but I was comparing its layout to some of the loroi ships

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

RedDwarfIV wrote:Drew this in two hours. I'm planning to colour it.
I like.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

Crimson, that's a nice ship. Not many turrets though, and unless it's black for marginal stealth, it could do with some colour.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Actually it is stealth, the black is a combination of RAM and other stealth materials. It can operate in atmosphere and perform fire support as for few turrets most are hidden although it does leave several exposed of point defense.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

Ah, cool.

Does it have wings?

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

RedDwarfIV wrote:Ah, cool.

Does it have wings?
Those are the aft shield generators this ship is a combination of an LAH and a destroyer. its meant to be a cost effective. To maintain level flight in atmosphere it used anti-gravity generators + thrust.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

Progress:

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Looks like a cross between a Terran cruiser and an Umiak gunboat. ;)

No windows? The engines look too small compared to the rest of the hull to give the ship a decent acceleration. At least, compared with the engine sizes on Arioch's designs.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

GeoModder wrote:Looks like a cross between a Terran cruiser and an Umiak gunboat. ;)
Heh, I did notice the similarity, the sort of hammer-head shape.
GeoModder wrote:No windows?
Arioch wrote:I would expect observation platforms (and windows in general) to be crew comfort features rather than practical ones. The view when orbiting a planet is going to be quite spectacular. You just need to make sure any such viewing areas are outside the armor, and the access points need to be reinforced airlocks.
Besides, it's a small spacecraft. A lot of stuff would be between the hull and crew spaces, for radiation shielding if nothing else. And there is an observation room at the back of the main hull. It's the yellow bits with white shading.
GeoModder wrote:The engines look too small compared to the rest of the hull to give the ship a decent acceleration. At least, compared with the engine sizes on Arioch's designs
Have you heard of the Rocket Equation? Larger ships need more fuel to move their mass, so carry comparitively larger fuel tanks. As for the engine nozzles, well, smaller engines have higher specific impulse. When you don't need a lot of thrust to accellerate quickly, why not have high fuel efficiency too?

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Why do people keep saying we need windows? We have very nice crisp HD computer screens with tactical HUD overlay, why would we want to add structural weaknesses to the ship when we have no need too? I can understand the romantic desire, but from a practical viewpoint I simply do not see the necessity.

Am I missing something obvious here? What practical use to windows serve that cannot be achieved through a combination of sensor suits and computer relays.
Last edited by Grayhome on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.