Page 91

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Wintermute

Page 91

Post by Wintermute »

What a long strange trip it's been.

I'm curious at what the meaning behind the look on Fireblade's face in panel 4 is?

Edit: Wow, I made a massive typo right there! Can't believe it took me so long to spot.
Last edited by Wintermute on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ktrain

Re: Page 91

Post by Ktrain »

The lip on the officer next to Stillstorm in panel 3 gives a sense of apprehension. Also is it me or did anyone else think that initially Fireblade and Beryl were going to pull Alex in opposite directions, sort of like being pulled apart by two horses.

Edit: *LET THE VIVISECTION/PROBING COMMENCE*
OUTSIDER UPDATE => HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?

elizibar

Post by elizibar »

I'm not sure I can tell what the look on Fireblade's face means

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Wow..your right I can almost see their thoughts in their expressions.

Page 90.

Stillstorm, {Get 'him' off my bridge! ...It would probably be best if we just did the same [kill] to 'him' and be done with this battlezone...}

Tempo, {He is a representative of an entire unknown species, doctrine demands we try to find out all we can about them and approach them with alliance before the enemy does!!!}

Page 91

Stillstorm, {I know what policy is Tempo, you need not remind me ...nor I you that such contact is at the discretion of the military.}
...addressing 'Bluehair' {If he gives any excuse or resists, kill him and find out what trickery has been does to mask his true species.}

'Bluehair'. {Yes, a live dissection would tell us more but a dead one will still prove interesting...}

-------------

Good grief these women look practically 'Malefescent'!!!

EDIT1: Well something has changed in Beryl's and Fireblade's 'views' of Alex... they both touched him... for, well the first time, for Beryl; but first non-threatening time for Fireblade. The Loroi don't seem to touch often... as far as we have noted.

I think Fireblade's expression is one of regard and possibly wordless though the idea that comes to me is she is seeing Alex for the 'first time' and noting how alone and 'innocent' he is in the face of the... a very cruel treatment he may about to be subjected to...when he really has done nothing to warrant such treatment.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

junk

Post by junk »

To be honest can't help but think that Fireblade's expression is the typical Doe look. She looks scared|wounded in a sense.

Tamren

Post by Tamren »

Funny. After reading all that the one fact that stuck in my mind is that the door frame is a giant trip hazard...

Luge

Post by Luge »

I find it very interesting to see that Fireblade actually touched Alex, given that she's already shown off her powerful kinetic abilities. I'm sure she could psi-shove him out of the door if need be.

I agree that she looks unusually innocent or hurt in the close-up.

L.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Puppy eyes! :P
Supporter of forum RPG

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

More plainly spoken... I think Fireblade's expression is one of sympathy and perhaps regret for Alex's in question 'fate'...
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

We can't really say for sure who she's looking at...It could be Alex but could also be Tempo and co.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

Riess

Post by Riess »

> Fireblade close-up
D'AAAWWWWW.
That's all.

Oh and many congrats to Arioch for wrapping up the chapter. Been good to see things moving along for the last few months.
Our Intrepid Crew - Space Opera Webcomic

Random Person

Post by Random Person »

It only took Arioch three months short of a decade to finish a prologue and a chapter. At this rate, I'll be dead before this is over.

Also: TO THE AIRLOCK!
Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down? It's not my department. -Wernher von Braun

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

TheUnforsaken wrote:We can't really say for sure who she's looking at...It could be Alex but could also be Tempo and co.
Neither. I read the whole comic again to trying find out, and I think it is tactical display. Also, she is trying to watch the same thing, when she is moving out of room.

Analyse:
He is looking front and upward.
Alex is front of her, but he is shorter than her, so she is looking over his head.
If look page 85 you can see panel behind Fireblade, so they are sitting on left bench seen on page 52.
The catrails are on another side, so only screen and holograms are left.

And we also see that Bluehair is now standing, being equal height with Stillstorm, meaning that she has leaved the commander chair.

So Shells are now started moving or done something equally worrisome.
Supporter of forum RPG

Rosen_Ritter_1

Post by Rosen_Ritter_1 »

My my. Good Elf and Bad Elf suddenlly seem equally very concerned about getting Jardin out of the room. And Tempo seems particularly concerned about what the people back on the bridge are saying.

Fascinating.

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I'm not seeing the daaaaw thing everyone else is. Given that the previous panel was command staff and the next is her staring at the room I read it as her saying she is taking him off the bridge, you got a problem with that? I still read page 90 as Stillstorm wants him dead, now, but Tempo wants him alive for the time being. Only way to keep him that way is to get him out and secured. FB is eyeballing the threat as they leave, watching their back like a good soldier.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Nemo wrote:FB is eyeballing the threat as they leave, watching their back like a good soldier.
Not so much, if she get tripped by not watching where she is going. :lol:
Supporter of forum RPG

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

@sunphoenix

I don't think it's a matter of changing views, rather I think it's simply a matter of need. Alex didn't respond immediately to the instruction to leave so they need to respond for him. It's been fairly well established that Beryl cares about Alex's safety (she hasn't, after all, picked his brain clean of all it's information yet), and despite the tough exterior I suspect that Fireblade doesn't want any harm to come to him either. Remember the shove in the elevator was primarily to show Alex that she can enforce her will so that she won't have to in the future.

@Luge

TKing people around is likely to be considered just the tiniest bit rude, not the sort of thing you'd do to a diplomat/military liaison if there's other options around. Keep in mind, Fireblades already touched him, she knows what to expect (which is probably nothing, at all).

I suspect that Fireblade is either looking at Alex or looking at Stillstorm/Rune-Laurel, as to what her look means, it's a little too mild for me to pull a definite meaning out of. I will say this though, while Beryl is the obvious choice for "girl Ales is going to get at the end" I think a valid argument can be made for Fireblade, that being said I doubt she's making eyes at him in an attempt to convince him to get off the bridge.

Also am I the only one who thinks Fireblade's hair is much less impressive from the side?

Markward

Post by Markward »

I was thinking it was odd that whatever is about to happen, its certainly of importance to get them to push past the taboo of touching.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Wide eyes usually indicate a sort of curiosity or interest. I think Fireblade is trying to gauge Alex's reactions, but she doesn't consider him enough of a threat to switch to squinty eyed. If I had to hazard a guess based on what might well be a stretch, I would say that Fireblade might be starting to believe that he's not an Umiak spy.

Who knows, she might have caught a glimpse of something in his mind when she was probing, even if it wasn't anything useful.

dfacto

Post by dfacto »

There's no doe-eyeing here. Fireblade looks bored.