Page 91

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

fredgiblet

Re: Page 91

Post by fredgiblet »

Razor One wrote:@ Karst

I thought clothing blocked the connection. Guess I'll have to go back and scour Insider since it's obvious my memory is atrophying.
Arioch wrote:Touching is not strictly necessary for telepathic connection -- the physical contact enhances the connection. It's not a binary on/off thing... standing close to someone may improve the connection to a degree, touching the person's shoulder through clothing improves it more so... touching the bare skin of the hand even more so, increasing with the amount and intimacy of contact.
From the previous forum.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

to modify a quote from Arioch journal

The first chapter is over: LONG LIVE CHAPTER 2 :D

man, not the way I expected the first chapter to end, very abrupt, but I like the mini cliffhanger ( N! Arioch)

as for Frieblade., I get the message, "please listen to her ( beryl), you don't understand everything/the situation your in"

I think, in some strange way, Alex little oed to mickey might have made a connection to Fireblade: and I know fireblade doesn't speak (as per Teidar tradition) but I think she understand the sorrowful tone of Alex song ( note she did lower her eye when the bell was torpedoed) and made a connection (just because she doesn't verbally speak, doesn't mean she can understand it ).
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

Regarding Fireblade:

As I recall, in her backstory it was noted that she had pretty much uncontrollable psychic "sharing" with anyone she touched or came really close to. Something about how she used to wake up half the crew by transmitting her nightmares to them.

This is probably one of the first beings she's touched who hasn't freaked out. Well, not because of psychic trauma anyway.

Either that or she's looking forward to spacing him.
Ashrain is best rain.

Fotiadis_110

Post by Fotiadis_110 »

well based on the bits i've read out of the quotation pages, Fireblade is well known among the crew as being a survivor in starship-starship combat, that is she has done it TWICE (firegiblet quotations 2), so it seems more than likely that she understands Alex is probably feeling the pain of losing all of his companions.

On the other hand it seems obvious that now that the captain has given the diplomat the 'privilege' of watching that ship destroyed, something she felt upset about in the first place, i strongly suspect beryl and Fireblade have been watching what Alex has been observing, and given his interest in the tactical display, the fact he knows what to look for and how to watch what is going on, his apt summary of the engagement that just occurred noting the disproportionate losses... He's already seen more than the historian has been allowed to watch, he obviously KNOWS more than some random civilian about military actions and combat, and he's now seen how the Loroi act in combat, and also negotiations with their opponents.

The fact he SPOKE during a sound/video transmission has potentially gifted their opponents information about the discovery they have made, and the fact he chose to speak something of his native tongue is guaranteed to warrant investigation by the Umiak, although this is assuming there was noise leakage through the coms, but we don't know anything about them to say otherwise.

If he had simply spoken trade, it would have gone more or less unnoticed... and lets not forget the Loroi captain considers words 'tools of deceit', and worse he spoke in a language none understand.

Between all of these points, is it understandable the captain is more than just miffed, she's likely to consider him a major threat, who knows enough about combat to analyse, observe and learn, and he's the first alien i believe she has ever been required to remain on the bridge during combat.

Fireblade appreciates Alex may have needs to mourn, as does Beryl, but they have been given the order 'GET HIM OFF MY BRIDGE' with perhaps a little threat to support her demand - perhaps spacing the pair of them - and thus they must get him off the bridge in one piece, and given he is a diplomat, it's not like Fireblade can use something that might be perceived as an attack on his person (throw him out the door with her mind), so grabbing his arm makes it clear he has to move, or else she'll drag him out with her own hands, even though in her mind she is potentially remembering the ships lost in her past, giving that twinge of sadness in her look, as opposed to the look she has had of the past of 'you better do what needs to be done or i'll squash you' (smug superiority).

Also note how she glances over her shoulder as she leaves, either she is thinking to the captain 'you should know enough to let him grieve for a few moments' or she might be receiving orders of 'And keep him off the bridge, I don't want him anywhere NEAR any key facilities again GOT IT?'

And her look at that moment fits either scenario.
I suspect with a couple more strips we will know, by simply studying her face we will know if her look is captain related or the fact she is mellowing out a little bit due to shared experience regarding dead spaceship... watch Fireblades face, if it goes back to 'old grouch' or 'smug' it was the captains fault she looked more concerned than normal (probably) if it 'opens up' some, we can expect she now feels a slight bond to Alex through lost comrades, either would be good characterisation.

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Fotiadis_110 wrote:well based on the bits i've read out of the quotation pages, Fireblade is well known among the crew as being a survivor in starship-starship combat, that is she has done it TWICE (firegiblet quotations 2), so it seems more than likely that she understands Alex is probably feeling the pain of losing all of his companions.
As I recall, it was Stillstorm who had a pair shot out from under her and everyone else on the ship died or some such, and Fireblade was trapped behind enemy lines forced into guerilla war and too damned good at it for her own good.

JeroOfBaconGrease

Post by JeroOfBaconGrease »

I'm personally hoping for a friendlier Fireblade. Is it just me or is anyone else reminded of Washu from the Tenchi anime & manga series with FB's hairstyle?

Heh, looking at the panels and reading peoples comments, I'd think that the Captain would have been making a fangy scary face. Judging by her expression in page 91, I think she's satisfied with Beryl & Fireblade rushing Alex out. I'm guessing blue hair is the chief of security.

I'm betting 5:1 odds that Alex's quarters WON'T have a window/live viewscreen. Though I'm betting he will have a view or maybe just a video mural.
There ARE FOUR Lights!

DyingMan_13

Post by DyingMan_13 »

Odds are Alex's quarters might just be back in the brig.

When I first saw the frame of Beryl and Fireblade taking Alex off the bridge by the arms, I figured he'd made a major screw up, misunderstood Beryl and spoken too soon.

Umaik: What was that?!

The Umaik probably have the same sort of set up for recording sensor data in combat. So they know what humans sound like.

Hope somebody cut the audio feed.

And even if Jarden makes it out of this alive, if he ever gets back to earth he's gonna be the Eternal Ensign as soon as the brass find out about his favorite song. Full Metal Jacket reference or not.

If there's a after life in the Outsider Universe you know Capt. Hamilton is comping at the pit to haunt the hell out of Alex.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Nemo wrote:
Fotiadis_110 wrote:well based on the bits i've read out of the quotation pages, Fireblade is well known among the crew as being a survivor in starship-starship combat, that is she has done it TWICE (firegiblet quotations 2), so it seems more than likely that she understands Alex is probably feeling the pain of losing all of his companions.
As I recall, it was Stillstorm who had a pair shot out from under her and everyone else on the ship died or some such, and Fireblade was trapped behind enemy lines forced into guerilla war and too damned good at it for her own good.
Both are FB though the DETAILS of her time on Seren are not available.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

all this talk of Firebaldes history is getting me excited ( to learn what its is)

but its interesting how the experience of Alex and firebalde are ( granted,FB is the combat vet between the two).

are for their relationship ( or friendship) very interesting possibilities talked so far. Never saw the Alex being FFB only friend and now they have common history to build a relationship with.

as for spacing Alex, anyone would have to get through FB first.
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

man_of_foul_tofu

Post by man_of_foul_tofu »

The whole notion of gaining one's trust from a warlike distrustful ship of powerful capable and mysterious women has yet to really enter Alex's mind, but he has reacted well, speaking his native language, but speaking a childish song, with emotion. It's a bit bizzare, but its safety seems sound to me. Mind you, I am sure that there will be a bit of language work to match up his curse of vengeance with his song of Mickey Mouse.

What interests me is that Loroi's culture is of speaking truth mind to mind, voice to ears is a way of deception, so Alex is a bunch of contradictions. This confuses me a bit - if the Loroi were used to mind to mind truth, then discovered voice to ears deception, then all communication that is other than mind to mind must be viewed with distrust. Such a manner would have lost the need for bodylanguage and reading one's face - so those communication means might be very remote, or absent from the Loroi.

I would guess that whatever shields Alex from having his mind read allows something to be experienced, it's not an impermiable resolute shield of the mind, that something of the emotions are there, and might also be coloured by the other ways emotions are communicated - through pheremones, through body language, from voice tone, from voice content and from facial expressions. That way Firebird is not perpetually distrustful of Alex, but can have something other than perpetual distrust in place.

ah - another page. Glorious.

Foul Tofu

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

(Kikitik-27 didn't hear anything Alex said on page 90.)

JeroOfBaconGrease

man_of_foul_tofu wrote:What interests me is that Loroi's culture is of speaking truth mind to mind, voice to ears is a way of deception, so Alex is a bunch of contradictions. This confuses me a bit - if the Loroi were used to mind to mind truth, then discovered voice to ears deception, then all communication that is other than mind to mind must be viewed with distrust. Such a manner would have lost the need for bodylanguage and reading one's face - so those communication means might be very remote, or absent from the Loroi.
Perhaps the telepathy lacks an emotional element and facial expression & body language is used in much the same way we use inflection, emphasis on particular words and other small verbal cues to indicate our emotions & deeper meaning behind what we wish to convey beyond what we've simply stated.

Not to say that what the messages themselves might be wouldn't have emotional descriptive, for lack of a better term, words in them.
There ARE FOUR Lights!

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

NOMAD wrote:all this talk of Firebaldes history is getting me excited ( to learn what its is)
It hasn't been explicitly stated but the evidence points strongly to her being on Seren during the occupation. Also she's lost two ships and is childless.

@Arioch

Could we get an explicit statement regarding Fireblade being on Seren or not?

dfacto

Post by dfacto »

Could we get an explicit statement regarding Fireblade being totally tsundere for Alex or not?

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

dfacto wrote:Could we get an explicit statement regarding Fireblade being totally tsundere for Alex or not?
I think we can safely state that Fireblade is 100% Tsun and 0% Dere for Alex currently :P
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Arioch wrote:(Kikitik-27 didn't hear anything Alex said on page 90.)
Heh. 8-)

And i think Stillstorm misses a historic opportunity by acting grouchy against Alex.
sapere aude.

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

Arioch wrote:(Kikitik-27 didn't hear anything Alex said on page 90.)
I dunno, can we really trust you after that Spiral thing?
Ashrain is best rain.

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Hmm, I'm not really sure on this one myself.
Firstly, Beryl has been very explicit on what Alex is allowed to do on the bridge, telling him before hand, and I expect she and Fireblade have been in contact with Stillstorm throughout and if there had been any indication of a problem it would have been nipped in the bud before it could happen, instead of them suddenly being worried and the like.
Personally I think Stillstorm is very much as interested in Alex's reactions as anyone else, you simply don't let an unidentified alien life with unknown abilities and the ability to block one of your main advantages, onto your most sensitive command bridge without having a good reason to do so, especially if you are negotiating with the enemy.
Judging by the page, I think their reactions are down to something more immediate than anything, maybe something he said, the song perhaps.

After all, they are 217 light years from earth, in the year 2160, so they should be getting radio transmissions from Earth from roughly 1943.

That's got to open up a whole can of interesting revelations, especially if your linguistics computers just tied his native language down thanks to him finally speaking a long stretch in his native tongue.

And I do believe there was quite a lot of WW2 Mickey mouse radio broadcasts in 1943. the Club song however didn't come out until 1950's though.. still they might have some listening posts a few light years closer.

Thats just my opinion though! looking for the epic mystery in every tea leaf.

JeroOfBaconGrease

Intriguing suggestion! I'm interested to see how that might play out.
There ARE FOUR Lights!

Cy83r

Post by Cy83r »

DevilDalek wrote:After all, they are 217 light years from earth, in the year 2160, so they should be getting radio transmissions from Earth from roughly 1943.
"Commander,"

"Yes?"

"We found it."

"Excellent."