[RP] Incursion (OOC)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Gudo

Re: [RP] Incursion (OOC)

Post by Gudo »

Bistima Chrysocolla "Garnet"
Loroi Mechanic/Technician (Female) {10pts unspent}

Since her standard education began, Garnet exhibited exceptional intellect. Upon selection for military service, it became clear that with her abundance of brains and lack of brawn, she'd server better supporting the war effort rather than fighting it. Upon completion of basic training, she was drafted as a Gunner's Mate.

As support staff, Bistima technician Garnet has grown used to the (comparatively) relaxed life. Like all Loroi in active duty military service, she was trained in a high stress, ex

Being a technician, Garnet makes heavy use of implants (for a Loroi.) Implanted networking equipment and neural implants allowing direct interface with external networks and computers allow Garnet to download and access all kinds of information from star ship schematics to gaming strategies... Assuming such information is available. Typically, technicians use this sort of implant to download schematics and computational tools from machine-shop or repair bay computers; allowing them to fabricate or service an incredibly broad variety of equipment without extensive training on every single piece. A (physically) small amount of integrated memory provides Garnet with access to information relating to her assigned area of expertise (explosives and guided ordnance) as a fall back for when no networks or computers are available.

Stats
SpoilerShow
Stats{140 points}
Body:3
Mind:7
Soul:4

Derived Stats
Base Combat Value: 4
Damage Multiplier:5
Health Points:30
Shock Value:6
Energy Points:55

Skills and Abilities
Loroi Racial Attributes: {15pts}
Telepathy [Any Mind; Concentration -2, Deplete -1] = Lvl 1 {3pts}
Block Power [Source: Psionics; Deplete -1] = Lvl 1 {11pts}
Sixth Sense [Emotions; Deplete -3] = Lvl 1 {1pts}

Power Flux {78pts}
Power Flux - Creation 3 (Primal: Inventor, Durable +1, Equipment -2, Activation -6) {39pts}
Power Flux - Skill Major 4 (Mind skills, Equipment -1) {39pts}
Flux Skill: Electronics 3
Flux Skill: Mechanic 1
Flux Skill: Physical Sciences 2
Flux Skill: Demolitions 4

Other Skills and Attributes{8pts}
Organizational Ties 2:Loroi Military - Engineering Branch, Bistima, Rank O1, ENS “white” uniform {4pts}
Skill: Computers 2{4pts}
Feature:Implanted networking equipment, memory {1pts}

Items{17pts}
Laser Pistol, Lvl 4 Weapon, Lvl 2 Range, 100m{5pts}
Loroi Armor, Lvl 12 Armor, 24pts DP,{12pts}

Defects{-28}
Marked: “Eyes Glow brightly Silver when Psionics in use" {-2pts}
Owned: Loroi Military - Engineering Branch {Soroin} {-4pts}
Inept Attack -1 {-10pts}
Inept Defense -1 {-10pts}
Not So Tough 1 {-2pts}
Character Notes
SpoilerShow
"Bistima" is indeed a Loroi caste, though it's role is presently undefined. See the Loroi Caste Titles (first paragraph.) Since none of the defined castes seemed to have the role to technical support and/or logistics/manufacturing, I decided that Bistima could well be that caste.

Gunner's Mates operate and maintain gunnery equipment, missile systems, turrets etc. They are also trained to maintain and repair the electric, electronic, and mechanical components said systems (though not necessarily the weapon platform.)
Flux Items
Spider Mine
The Spider Mine is an upgrade on age old landmine technology. Equipped with legs, sensors, and a rudimentary AI, the spider mine is far more suited for use in an active and dynamic battle than it's passive predecessors. Typically used in an anti-armor setting, the mine utilizes an explosively formed penetrater to propel a dense core of molten metal through it's target. Mines are generally deployed from behind cover (or lobbed over an obstacle or past a corner.) They will then acquire a target and scurry towards and ultimately destroy it. Despite it's active nature, Spider Mines still retain their heritage as traps. They can be hidden and set to remain inactive and stationary till a target moves within a specified range.

Spider Mines are manufactured in two variations, the anti-armor version as specified above and an anti-personnel version utilizing a high explosive charge in a casing specifically designed to produce the most dangerous shrapnel possible.

Stats
SpoilerShow
Spider Mine - Anti Armor - Item {12pts total}
Weapon 5 - Explosive {10pts}
Land Speed 4 (60km/h) {8pts}
Homing 3 {3pts}
Penetrating 4 (reduce target armor by 16) {4pts}
Range 1 (10m) (refers to the distance the penetrater is effective to.) {1pts}
Feature: Negative Size Category (Small) {4pts}
Feature: Basic AI {1pts}

Restrictions{-7pts total}
Activation {-1}
Ammo {-4}
Stoppable{-1}
Exclusive:Ground Targets{-1pts}

Spider Mine - Anti Personnel - Item {12pts total}
Weapon 5 - Explosive {10pts}
Land Speed 4 (60km/h) {8pts}
Homing 3 {3pts}
Trap 1 {1pts}
Piercing 1 (reduce target armor by 4) {1pts}
Area 3 (10m) {3pts}
Feature: Negative Size Category (Small) {4pts}
Feature: Basic AI

Restrictions{-7pts total}
Activation {-1}
Ammo {-4}
Stoppable{-1}
Exclusive:Ground Targets{-1pts}

AI protocols
The Spider Mine employs a simple AI to handle target acquisition. Anti-Armor mines use thermal imaging cameras to find the largest, hottest mass and attempt to propel its penetrater through where it believes the "engine" to be. Profiles of the most commonly used war machines are stored on it's computer, providing the necessary targeting data. If a profile cannot be matched to the target, the mine aims for center mass. Spider Mines will not target a machine it believes to be Loroi (based on it's heat signature.)

Anti-Personnel mines use thermal imaging to find the area densest in terms of targets.

All versions of the mine use lasers for obstacle avoidance and as motion sensors. If there are no targets on the thermal imaging cameras, the mines will also use these lasers to find moving targets.

Once deployed, a Spider Mine will track it's position and not detonate within 10 meters of it's original position. This setting can be disabled when the weapon is deployed.

Spider Mines avoid targets that exhibit friendly beacons, RFID tags, etc.
Bottom Crawler
The Crawler is a half-track vehicle designed to crawl along the bottom of a body of water. It consists of a forward section and a rear section, separated by an articulated crawlspace. The forward section is the workhorse. It contains the track, electric engine and batteries. The front section of the Crawler also has a robotic arm equipped with both a gripper and an industrial saw. Notably, this forward section does not have it's own air supply. The operator must either bring her own air supply (such as a personal dive tank) or rely on air from the rear transport section.

On the other side of the articulated section is the un-powered transport section. It is kept off the ground by a large set of wheels and contains the life support system. Essentially, it's just an air-tight trailer with (cramped) accommodation for eight. A basket attached to the outside of the rear section can be loaded with scrap metal or rocks in order to act like ballast. In case of an emergency, the rear section can be sealed off and detached from the forward section. The wheels and ballast could then be detached, allowing the rear section to float to the surface.
SpoilerShow
Bottom Crawler
Forward Section - Item {10 pts total}
Water Speed 2 (10km/h) {8pts}
Land Speed 2 (15km/h) {4pts}
Weapon 3 - Saw (melee) {6pts}
Penetrating 2 (reduce target armor by 8) {2pts}
Feature: Articulated Section {1pts}
Feature: Robotic Arms {1pts}
Feature: Waterproof controls {1pts}
Restriction: Awkward Size 1 {-4pts}

Rear Section - Item {2pts total}
Feature: Extra Capacity 4 (8 passengers/800kg cargo) {4pts}
Feature: Compressed Air supply {1pts}
Feature: Detachable Wheels and Ballast {1pts}
Armor 5 - Optimized vs Pressure waves {6pts}
Restrictions: Awkward Size 2 {-8pts}

Pardon the crude pic. Robot arm not featured. Also, the rear section would be bigger.
Last edited by Gudo on Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:31 am, edited 9 times in total.

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Well, apart from back-story, my character is done. I would really appreciate some questions and comments, as I've never used BESM before.

Sun, I hope you don't mind, but I stole quite a few things from your dude :O Just tell me if anything I snagged is supposed to be unique to your character, and I'll swap it out for something.

I also have 5 unspent points. I imagine it'll got to equipment I'll need for my Power Flux abilities, but I don't know what sort of equipment that might be. Again, comments would be great. Otherwise, I'll hang on to them for now. Speaking of Flux, the Flux items are the things I anticipate creating fairly often, and the Flux Skills represent my default skill allocation.

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Sorry Gudo, I was busy yesterday and slept in today :oops:

Well the BESM book says each level of Power Flux gives the character 4 'Flux Points' which are used up as you use the ability, and then recharge over time. Your spider mines are worth 12 points so thats how many you use when making new ones. I guess if you use it on something else we'll have to work out the cost then.

Just out of curiosity, how large are these mines (you say they can be tossed) and what resources are used in them? What equipment does your character need to make the mines? Or can she do it all with sanzai?

@sunphoenix, are you going to make another character for use on Sephal or are we going to have to find a way for him to end up there...I guess the Loroi delegation might demand that one of their people go down with the marines and you say they aren't too worried about his long-term survival which is why they might not wait for a safe LZ to be established.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

@ Unforsaken: I had assumed he was already on planet actually perhaps one of the initial Loroi survey ships sent to reestablish contact arrived were attacked and Maiannon's shuttle made an emergency crash-landing when everything went to hell in the ensuing space battle... the enemy more concerned about the capital warships than a damaged and crashing planet-bound unarmed shuttle...

So I assumed Maiannon and Chrysocolla met in the ruins of the cities on the occupied world and have been since waging a hit-and-run war on the heavily armed and intrenched invaders...

@Gudo: No problem fella... only one thing... The color I used for Maiannon's name is the color I plan to post his spoken words in so you might want to choose a different color... :)

Its odd how Maiannon is not really a warrior with almost NO combat skills... just a lot of psionic talent and guts really, and how Chrysocolla is no warrior either... merely a technician though a MECHANICAL Genius, yet they are the ones fighting the invaders and not the super combat skilled Teidar and heavily armed Sorin... because they are all dead... lol! Time for some 'TRUE' Heroes to stand forth.

Its not really bravery if you are some bad ass combatant to stand and fight...you do that all the time and are trained to handle it...no... its real courage when your just some average person who stands and fight not because they know they can win... but because they know they must not loose for the sake of others! THATs true heroism!
Last edited by sunphoenix on Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

@Sun: The Color I used is the orange I've used on all the other RP chars so far :p I'll pick a different one... Blue-Green.

@Unforsaken: Well, a modern AT4 SMAW (Shoulder-Launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon) has an armor piercing warhead just shy of four pounds. The real weight is in the propellent (total weapon weight is nearly 15 pounds.) I would assume the mines would carry a similarly sized charge with a total weight about 15 pounds as well. The real weight would be in the legs of the mine, electronics are getting smaller and smaller :P

I didn't mean for it sound like they could be base-ball pitched, but a good strong arm (or two!) could get them moving. For reference, an Olympic shot-put weighs 16 pounds (for men) and world class athletes can put them just over 20 meters. I'm sure with both arms, Chrysocolla could throw them about half that.

Equipment-wise, my Flux has a -2 restriction signifying that I'd need equipment that is "awkward to move." So not necessarily a workshop, but a bunch of assorted tools and components, etc. For the mines themselves, they need 4 key parts. The warhead, the leg units, the sensor block, and the control computer. The warhead could conceivably be an IED from whatever around (six fag grenades all strapped together!) and I guess the legs could be anything that allows for locomotion (an RC car or tracks, etc.)

As for the Flux, I have a few other items in mind. I'll get a proper write up before I ask about build/using them.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

@ Gudo: Oh..ok. Well you had that color first so use it. I usually use blue but this time I was shooting for a more gold color. I'm...slightly color blind certain shades of orange and brown mess with me...but I found a color closer to what I had in mind for this character. So go back to orange its all yours! :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

@Gudo, ah ok, I missed that part about the -2. I look forward to seeing the other items :)

@sunphoenix, it may be best just to have him on the planet the whole time...it would require too much plot twisting and geographic shifting to explain his presence any other way. Sephal is a planet on the very edge of Loroi space and a likely location of attack in an Umiak invasion...a good place to keep a troublesome 'revolutionary' out of sight and away from places he might otherwise cause problems.

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

@ Unforsaken: That's cool too... and works just the same.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Anyone else gonna make characters, or is it just us? Markward, Bunnyboy?

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Fusebox said he is still involved in a PM, I think he was waiting for a copy of the BESM PDF from sunphoenix. I tried to zip my copy but it was still over the 25mb limit of my Gmail account, and I don't have an e-mail with no limit :( .

I've started writing the initial story section too, so maybe that'll convince a few more to join. But don't worry, whether there's 2 players or 200 the RP will go forward ;)

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Nelodez "sun flare"
Former Tenoin Narrat [spacefighter pilot]
Nelodez is 178 cm, and before war she used sometimes "human made" high heels just for fun being taller than most. She was training for fighter pilot and she got great talents, but was small of discipline and that got her in accident. Something broke inside her and she couldn't continue the training. Her future and dreams were gone and she was down couple of years, mostly of it drunk or behind bars. She has broken her relationships with family and friends, and they think her as a failure. Slowly she recuperated, mostly by finding joy using her new skills. She learned to mask her intent to get her targets unaware of her pocketing and bluff of investigators, until she found out that she could do better with burglary.

She had admired human culture and values, believing that being lonely and dangerous make her popular for humans. Her bride is her martian motorbike and she is occasionally doing dangerous stunts with it. Her bike is like herserf, made to gather gazes, when she want it. Now after incursion she isn't sure of her values.
SpoilerShow
Body 6, Mind 5, Soul 4 (150)
Attack combat value 5 (spacecraft 7, hand held lasers 6)
Defense combat value 5 (driving 7)
Damage multiplier 5
Health points 50
Shock value 10
Energy points 45
Talents (39)
(4) Combat technique [Lightning reflexes, Steady hand]
(2) Heightened senses [Hearing] Bonus +3
(2) Organisational ties [Black market]
(6) Ranged attack [Spacecraft] +2
(3) Ranged attack [Hand held lasers] +1
(6) Ranged defence [Driving] +2
(6) Sixth sense [Emotions] 10m, Soul +2
(10) Telepathy [Universal] range 100m (+1), area 10m (+3)
Skills (38)
(3) Acrobatics [Balance] Body +1
(2) Burglary [Breaking & Entering] Body/Mind +1
(4) Climbing [Vegetation] Body +2
(1) Cultural Arts [Rare object appraisal] Mind +1
(4) Disguise [Telepathic] Soul +2
(4) Driving [Bike] Body/Mind +2
(2) Electronics [Security] Mind +1
(2) Foreign Culture [Humans] Mind +1
(2) Languages [Sanzai, Trade, English] Mind +2
(2) Performing Arts [Dance] Average +2
(4) Piloting [Spacecraft] A.Body+Mind +2
(2) Sleight of Hand [Pick pocketing] Body +1
(6) Stealth [Lotai] Body/Mind +2
Items (14)
(5) Laserpistol
(9) Mishima BioElectric Motorbike
(10) landspeed 250 kph; activation, half speed offroad
(8) armour 5; partial
(1) Features [extra capasity 1]
Defects (-3)
(-3) Vulnerability [atmospheric changes: severe storms, high altitude, flying]
(-) Owned or Red tape [she is known and maybe watched by enforcers of law]
Unused (2)
Edited bit of items and defects.
Last edited by bunnyboy on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:50 am, edited 7 times in total.
Supporter of forum RPG

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

@Unforsaken: Upload using http://www.filesonic.com/ You can do it without registering and they've got a pretty big file size limit.

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Thanks Gudo, that could come in handy :)

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

I'm going on a short vacation, I'll be away till Tuesday. If you guys wanna start, you can NPC me till I get back. Nice character there Bunnyboy btw :P Do a rad flip!

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

{Repost}
Indeed awesome character... at least we have one Combat oriented character who has been 'formally' trained.

BTW...I think your Base Attack Combat Value and Defense Combat Value are off. Your Body, Mind and Soul together total 15... so your average should be a Base ACV / DCV of 5... not 4.

EDIT1# : Oh. Not to be nit-picky Bunny... but I think you spent too much on your Sixth Sense and Telepathy. You may be using the 'Guardians of Order TriStatdx Sourcebook'.

Sixth sense is 2pts per level and each level gives you a extra sense you may take to be able to sense...evil, magic, undead...etc... Though the GM may also rule that each level simply adds to your sensitivity ...in effect boosting your Soul or Mind... whichever stat you use for sensing.

Telepathy bought Universal is only 6 pts per level. Telepathy has a builtin Variable of Range/1 [10meters] to increase that to Range/2 [100meters] is only +1pt!

Just thought you'd like to know! :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Image update on character sheet. By the way, usually she don't dress up so casual, when she goes to "work".

Do we start the game soon? :|

Edit:
@sunphoenix
Yes I read it, but didn't have time to look BESM.

Sixth Sense.
2 Points/lvl
Progression: Linear, +1 Sixth Sense each level
I took 3 lvl to patch up her poor soul.

Telepathy.
I had 1 increase for range and 3 increases for area, but I didn't take increases for number of targets. :x
So to sanzai to 2 people on 100 meter, when they are 3 meter adjacent each other, needs minimum 1 increase for range, 2 increase for area and 1 increase for targets?

Edit2:
Thanks.
Last edited by bunnyboy on Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Supporter of forum RPG

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

I'm still working on the prologue part...I've been a bit busy and it's taking a while longer than I thought, but it should be done soon.

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

{Repost}
Hey Bunnyboy...did you read my last post? You didn't comment... if so its cool.
Like the pic... wish I could get my 'artist' who drew Kamielle to do another one for Maiannon... but... he's sort of a perfectionist. He didn't like the pic he did of Kam. But Kam's pic was originally for Kam done in CTHULHUTECH. Kam is a Xeno-mix Amlati... hence his weird coloration, but I liked the pic so much... I decided to play the character here on Outsider for the "Deep Strike" Game, sans his Para-psychic powers.

Though I must admit... I was having a lot of fun playing 'Stormrage' in the "Tempest" game...ah well.

EDIT 1#
@Bunny: Ah... I see your confusion. I'll try to explain as best I can... at least the way we use it in our sit-down games.

With the Area 'custom variable' you hit everyone in the target area. You do not need to have targets variable. However, you have no choice but to hit all targets in the targeted area.

If you have the targets 'custom variable' you may hit multiple targets with your attribute... but you do not have to.

With both you make 'hit' multiple 'areas' with your attribute... but any target in the area gets affected weather you want it to or not.

For telepathy an area 'custom variable' means you basically speak to everyone in the area at once and cannot only speak to one person in the area. Though you do not have to use the area 'custom variable' every time you use the Telepathy power. You can just use telepathy without your 'custom variables' and speak with one mind...or multiple minds if you use the targets 'custom variable'. But you do not have to use area 'custom variable' to speak to multiple minds in addition to targets 'custom variable'.

Hope that makes it clearer. :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Fusebox

Post by Fusebox »

Sorry for the lack of communication with you guys. Been a little busy here, Mom just got back from visiting her mother. I'll see what I can't do about getting a character in here in the next few days.

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Alrighty, I'm back. Good to see progress being made :P I'm looking forward to this game!