STEALTH!!!...IN SPACE!!!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

icekatze

Re: STEALTH!!!...IN SPACE!!!

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

My own personal hypothesis is time travel. That the Loroi brainwaves are reaching some point in the future, where a highly powerful being/machine sends the appropriate reaction back in time to the appropriate moment.

But it's probably just best to accept it as magic. ;)

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Siber wrote:The Insider goes into some detail on those considerations, and the various telekinetics variations don't have to worry about where to put the reaction to whatever it is they're doing. A regular telekinetic doesn't have to push off anything, or off themself, a pyro doesn't have to get the heat from anywhere, and a cryo doesn't have to put it anywhere. Hyperspace is the best bet if you're looking for something to balance the equations.
Yes, I see. I am just now getting my brain up to speed on all that. Interesting speculation on how it might be done, but I still don't think it would be very practical. Probably not enough to give a great advantage or and edge, anyway.

I like icekatze's time travel idea! Heh heh.

CJSF

novius

Post by novius »

I think there are two more mundane means of hiding some ship's presence in space which hadn't been discussed here, meaning directed emissions and destructive interference.

Directed Emissions
When you imagine a lighthouse, your mind puts in the beam emitted from the lighthouse, preferably with the lighthouse on the left and the beam pointing right, not straight at you, right?

Well, that picture would only be correct if you keep in mind that it would normally be a foggy night. In clear weather, you wouldn't be able to see the beam unless it's pointed straight at you.

What you actually see is the backscatter of the beam, the fog's water drops reflecting the light of the beam. Take away these drops and the light continues on its path with you none the wiser.

Same thing happens in astronomy when watching specific stellar objects, like pulsars. We only get a hint of their presence if their beam (the jet of emitted particles and radiation) passes over the detector while the stellar object rotates.

So, if you have a good idea where the foe is coming from you might be able to direct your emissions away from there... but you may watch for possible backscatters. Space isn't completely empty, and some excited hydrogen or helium atoms may still give away your presence.

Destructive Interference
Light plus Light equals darkness... well, it's difficult to wrap your mind around this, but that's wave theory for you. That it actually works you can see in a double-slit experiment, on any soap bubble or on insect carapaces. There you see interference in action.

Add to that, with sound there are even practical applications. Any headphone with Active Noise Reduction proves that.

Trying with interference, you need to have a good idea where the enemy is coming from, but a carefully calibrated emitter which copies the own emissions and puts up the corresponding opposite-phase emissions would leave a single scout or a tightly packed squad in an interference shadow. At the cost that when moving out of the shadow, your ship will be doubly noticeable.

So, even when taking away supernatural means there should be enough possibilities to ... while not making a ship completely undetectable ... make looking for a carefully hidden ship quite an effort.

Chekist_Felix

Post by Chekist_Felix »

Right now the most elusive thing in the known universe is next page of "Outsider". *ba dum tss*
My literacy is cringe-fest... Apologies for what you're about to read.