Fanart Hypothetically

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

icekatze

Fanart Hypothetically

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I was messing around, trying out some of Arioch's ship drawing tricks, and I ended up coming up with a hypothetical design for a future TCA patrol ship. I thought to myself, "how might terrans try to add screens to their warships?" to kick the process off, then I tried to keep the TCA style intact, though I did use some Homeworld references for good measure. I still don't think I've quite got the knack for it, but being able to rotate the image was a *huge* help. It's tempting to make some 3d models as references, but I wanted to try going freestyle.

The idea here is that after the Great War, again entirely hypothetical, there would be a lot of former Umiak vassal states that would need peacekeeping forces. The Loroi may be very effective with their telepathy, but here perhaps is Humanity's time to shine by using tact and a more diplomatic approach where applicable.

So here is a new class of patrol cruiser, designed with a peacekeeping role in mind. A powerful sensor suite on the ventral side, below the 2nd generation blasters, is there to scan a planet's surface and ensure the inhabitants are following any industrial restrictions they might have. Humanity may have made astonishing leaps and bounds in technology in a very short time, but at least at this point, they haven't quite caught up yet. After reverse engineering some of the plentiful Umiak wreckage, being able to hit 20g at max power is still an achievement. But at 3/4s power, an outdated Loroi warship is still pulling 19.5g.

As for the two captains: Loroi highly value honesty, but when issuing a challenge, all bets are off. So yes, it is a bit of a backhanded compliment. :P

Siber

Re: Fanart Hypothetically

Post by Siber »

I dig both the designs(ship and character!) and execution here. Very cool.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Awesome work!

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Nice.

Some gun turrets do look oversized, and the hull number (ECS 092) is way too low though. ;)

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Looks nice! I like the style and the humor that the interaction shows.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Looks good! The linework looks very clean.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Thanks! :)

I was just making stuff up as I went, and didn't really have a plan in making this. Which is probably why it is a bit silly. Also, I have no idea how the ECS numbering system works.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The hull numbers are sequential and across classes. There isn't currently a ship assigned to 092, but a new post-war design would probably have a hull number 250+.
SpoilerShow
ECS-020 Centaur,
ECS-029 Aldea,
ECS-037 Esperanza
ECS-036 England,
ECS-038 Hellas,
ECS-049 Actium,
ECS-050 Prabhu,
ECS-051 California,
ECS-052 Tartakovsky,
ECS-053 Puebla,
ECS-054 Russia,
ECS-057 Midway,
ECS-058 Hayes
ECS-059 Gianelli
ECS-060 Chryse,
ECS-061 Hampton
ECS-062 America,
ECS-063 Australia,
ECS-065 Elliot
ECS-066 Clay
ECS-067 Bennet*
ECS-068 Wegland
ECS-069 Hayter
ECS-070 Croft
ECS-088 Norway,
ECS-089 Benwick
ECS-090 Russell
ECS-091 Moss
ECS-095 Panipat,
ECS-096 Cydonia,
ECS-099 Pacific,
ECS-100 McGarry
ECS-102 Pellew,
ECS-103 Europe,
ECS-148 Plataea,
ECS-149 Afrika,
ECS-150 Utsumi,
ECS-152 Madagascar
ECS-153 Arcadia,
ECS-154 Bellarmine,
ECS-155 Tharsis,
ECS-156 Red Wall,
ECS-170 Alberta,
ECS-175 Matveyev,
ECS-177 Galvin*
ECS-178 Yorktown
ECS-180 India
ECS-181 Valmy
ECS-182 Agincourt
ECS-189 Cape St. Vincent
ECS-200 Nihon
ECS-201 Antarctica/Victory
ECS-204 Brasilia
ECS-206 Arisilon
ECS-208 Vance
ECS-209 Freeman
ECS-210 Ibaka
ECS-211 Cunningham
ECS-212 Ernest
ECS-213 Njeri
ECS-214 Kambeitz
ECS-215 Chebet

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Ah, cool! It was simple enough to change out 092 for 292.

Username

Post by Username »

Great work dude !

I really like the hammerhead innovation for screens, though my gut tells me a human screen system would be a bit bigger. If only because I doubt the Loroi would just hand over the latest and greatest methods for screening.

Is that the actual bridge on top of the rear tower ?

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I'm sure that eventually they'll have larger screens, this is just my imagining of a first attempt.

I don't really know if it is an actual bridge. The Bennet and the America seem to have bridges in prominent places for a reason. Perhaps Terran design still requires it, or perhaps it is merely an emergency back-up observation deck.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Great work.

Looks like real Human engineering.
Can't unsee what I first saw....
Have to show you...

*stomps off for some image editing*
*after creating an image hosting account*
SpoilerShow
Sorry....
Still love your image.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

dapple26

Post by dapple26 »

Krulle wrote:Great work.

Looks like real Human engineering.
Can't unsee what I first saw....
Have to show you...

*stomps off for some image editing*
*after creating an image hosting account*
SpoilerShow
Sorry....
Still love your image.
:lol: Don't you know that duct tape is always on the cutting edge of human innovation. :lol:

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I know.
Hence I found his image a perfect example of Human engineering.
Hence I had to comment.

:D

But left it purposefully in spoilers.

Anybody else "saw" that too?
Or was it just me, a graduated mechanical engineer?

Anyone able to "unsee" "it"?
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Great Art... WONDERFUL WORK!

As a side note.. hehe... I'm sure this is purely coincidence...

BUT in the Play-By-Post Game [ CYDONIA RISING ].. my character Teidar Sezon Sonnidezi ~ 'Stormrage'; favors your loroi.. perhaps a bit older and clearly battlescarred.. and the human commander... might be how her Sergeant Charles ''Charlie'' Aldridge looked! He was a native born from South Africa... {Just a sweet coincidence.. I noticed}! Thanks.. brought a smile and fond memories to my heart!
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

Cool ship!

Though at first glance I wondered if you'd used the drawing I did years back. Then I checked, yours is very different. It was the hammerhead that threw me.

Rest of the image is good too. Almost looks like a shot from the actual webcomic (character style is different enough to tell its not).
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

It's not duct tape, it's space tape. ;)

At first, I tried using a shape that more resembled the TCA logo, given that the Loroi prow resembles their logo. It kind of iterated itself into a hammerhead shape as I poked at it though.

Also, thinking about it a little more, putting the bridge on part of a ship's extremities may actually be a good idea in scenarios where weapons are powerful and dodging is the only real way to avoid damage. If an enemy is aiming for your center mass as their best chance of scoring a hit, and their weapons can cut your ship in two, having a bridge in the ship's center might make it more vulnerable instead of less. Clearly though, the Loroi and Umiak have developed ways to effectively armor their ships.

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

That's some really great work, icekatze! I think you did an excellent job with the ship design - it was immediately clear it was a new model of TCA ship. That's also an interesting point about bridge/CIC location. On the one hand, center of mass is generally what you would aim at, so putting your primary command and control there would be bad. But, on the other, the center of mass is where most of the protection will be, if only because it's surrounded by the rest of the ship.

Maybe this design could make use of an armored prow? So, placing the bridge behind the deflectors could work well with the "extremity theory."

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

I don't see why, given sufficient networking and display technology why you'd even need a bridge, per se. There's no real reason to have a centralized command center in the traditional sense. If you distribute your control capability to various well protected parts of your ship, if any one or two of them are taken out, you still have command and control. I guess that sort of depends on how redundant and protected your network infrastructure is, though. Maybe in the end the risk ends up the same.

In any case, I'd read the hell out of this hypothetical spin-off/sequel comic, icekatze! Nicely done.

CJSF

novius

Post by novius »

On first glance, the gunports may look too big, but who knows what's behind it. Could even be a good old-fashioned rotating-barrel gatling slugthrowers, just following the trope that civilizations focusing too heavily on energy based weapons forgot about the effectiveness of mass drivers. Even all the way down to bow and arrow. :)

(Famous last words: "Come on! Arrows versus Kevlar?" - I could just see a Loroi platoon being dropped down on a failed colony world, and then standing quite baffled around a fallen squadmate, with a feathered shaft sticking out of her back, wondering what the frack did happen, and how...)

While modern communications might make a centralized bridge obsolete, this is only true when technology is working at its best.

This is a ship designed to expect combat action. And in combat, things do tend to break, and that could involve communication lines between several stations. While redundancy might mitigate the problem (starting with data lines running different routes through the ship, for starters), it could be still an issue to regain contact and order of command between different stations when the ship took a severe hit.

Problems you might not have with only a few - or one - centralized C&C which would be located at the best-protected part of the ship.

While Ensign Jardin ended up to be the ranking officer on his part of the Bellarmine, it was just by default since the ship was effectively sheared in half, and he was on the wrong (or right) half of it. Though, by then, the ship itself wasn't quite in a serviceable state anymore...