Page 126: Oh my~

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

novius

Re: Page 126: Oh my~

Post by novius »

discord wrote:well, given his 17 IQ stat he is literally a Genius, university level Engineering course which mere mortals complete in four years, this guy? a single semester.... yes he is scary smart, skipping a few grades? piece of cake.
Scarily smart? Of course Beryl's nerd vibe would be attracted to someone who can match her word for word... :)

Now here's another thought: Talon looking over her shoulder - "Everything alright back there?" - and seeing them in their current position or just righting themselves. I could just picture her dry wit in a comment like "Is that a continuation of the humanity greeting ritual you showed me earlier?".

discord

Post by discord »

"Only while riding on badly driven vehicles."

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

novius wrote:Now here's another thought: Talon looking over her shoulder - "Everything alright back there?" - and seeing them in their current position or just righting themselves. I could just picture her dry wit in a comment like "Is that a continuation of the humanity greeting ritual you showed me earlier?".

"Only while riding on badly driven vehicles."

As funny as that would be, the telepathic response sent back by Beryl would be epic.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Sorry for incoming wall of text.
icekatze wrote:hi hi

From Beryl's perspective, I wonder if it must seem like Alex is sending her mixed signals. Happy to see her one minute, then reminding her of the unpleasant first meeting the next minute.

My official prediction is that Alex is going to treat holding Beryl steady as a sensible thing to do while under acceleration, given that there aren't any other available chairs in the command deck, regardless of what he's actually thinking privately; and that Beryl is going to continue getting indications that are simultaneously dismissive and friendly.
I'll have to think about the mixed signals - I think she's more annoyed with herself for asking about their first meeting and reminding him of when she was (at least from his view) less friendly and helpful. I think that Beryl (and also Tempo) have some degree of puzzlement (particularly after Alex is showing his language learning, computer, and some tactical skills) - the best way I can explain it is "how can he be so smart while being so dumb." Especially for Beryl with regard to the whole hand-shaking with Talon and letting Talon use his familiar name while Beryl is still having to call him Captain Jardin :lol:
entity2636 wrote:Implausible, and there are much simpler explanations like, for example, Beryl taking a few steps towards the cockpit following Talon and then simply loosing balance as Talon punches it unexpectedly.

Although the thought of Tempo taking control of Beryl to run some small dubious experiment of hers does have some appeal. In the same context, take a look at Tempo's glare at Beryl on Page 108 http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider108.html when Beryl is about to spill some beans about the Mizols and she cuts her off. Then on Page 110 http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider110.html we see Beryl sleeping tight as if knocked out. First thought I had back then was that Tempo had telepathically knocked Beryl out cold, and, to be honest, if I was in Tempo's place (a spy/intelligence officer with his own ideas on how to run things, what to say and what to not say, especially NOT telling Alex that I might be a spy) I would like to make sure my overly friendly, chatty and honest "colleague" doesn't unintentionally compromise me. I would like to believe that being true, but there doesn't seem to be any proof of that.
I did say it was channeling paranoia (and was mostly more for fun) - it probably is just coincidence. I agree that Tempo ordered Beryl to not blurt out that Mizol are also spies - though I don't think Tempo did any mental tricks beyond reminding her that Tempo is her superior in the current chain of command. The whole context also reminds Beryl that Tempo is a Mizol with all that implies (insert Loroi horror stories of angering Mizol here), but that is pretty much unavoidable - Stillstorm rebuking Beryl would have a similar overtone of "do this or I can make it unpleasant for you."
Siber wrote:Well, she just got done explaining that everyone's been working hard after Beryl fell asleep. Occam's razor suggests she's just tired as hell generally and let the brave face drop when the alien wasn't looking her way.

I assume everyone's just being silly, but if they aren't... the chain of events is very long and requires knowing some probably unknowable things if Tempo is trying to orchestrate anything that's happening now. Xanatos himself would call BS.
I was being somewhat silly, though I do think it is important to keep in mind that Beryl's interests may not coincide with Alex's interests - she might not be antagonistic to him, but she is not being totally open - for example, omitting the information about her being a spy. I'm also pretty sure that Mozin and the historian construct are unaware (or at least have not been informed by the Loroi) that the Loroi farseer is unable to detect the Umiak fleet and Alex. On the other hand, Alex is not being totally open either - he has not mentioned the other human ships, and imagine the fun if they show up in Seren after all of this only to discover that he is the second human ambassador to arrive :shock:

I did not mean to imply that Tempo was aware that the Umiak would be attacking the system they are currently in and did not warn anyone - I am almost certain that she does not rate Alex as that important in the grand scheme of things and it would be an over-complicated plan with not much payoff. My suggestion was more that Tempo was improvising in the moment with the same information that Beryl, Alex, and Talon had about the Umiak attack force.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

inxsi wrote:I did say it was channeling paranoia (and was mostly more for fun) - it probably is just coincidence. I agree that Tempo ordered Beryl to not blurt out that Mizol are also spies - though I don't think Tempo did any mental tricks beyond reminding her that Tempo is her superior in the current chain of command. The whole context also reminds Beryl that Tempo is a Mizol with all that implies (insert Loroi horror stories of angering Mizol here), but that is pretty much unavoidable - Stillstorm rebuking Beryl would have a similar overtone of "do this or I can make it unpleasant for you."
I know, and I also said that although I would ~like~ to think so, there isn't any proof. Tempo most likely just sanzaied "hush!" to Beryl in that scene, that's all. It's just how I would like to imagine a character who is a mix of a spy/intel guy and femme fatale as in a 'film noire' or an old pulp fiction story. I mean, come on, that is exactly what Tempo is - stunningly beautiful and sexy with all her mannerisms and postures (and she knows that and uses it all to her advantage shamelessly), highly intelligent, well spoken (I imagine her voice also being able to melt hearts and minds), mysterious and intriguing and obviously with her own agenda and, partially because of her rank, extremely dangerous, most people probably don't even realize how dangerous (Admiral Stillstorm certainly does). In a conversation with Tempo I would probably tell her everything and then some :oops: Granted, I may be imagining things that aren't there, but if I look at Tempo this way, it just makes her that much more appealing and interesting to me.
inxsi wrote:I was being somewhat silly, though I do think it is important to keep in mind that Beryl's interests may not coincide with Alex's interests - she might not be antagonistic to him, but she is not being totally open - for example, omitting the information about her being a spy.
You probably meant Tempo not Beryl? Of course she's not open to him and no spy would ever tell a potential enemy agent that he or other people from his service branch may or may not be spies :D Unless they were looking to recruit double agents or turncoats. The Loroi, being a naturally aggressive, arrogant and supremacist species AND on the receiving end of the war, are extremely paranoid. The Umiak have committed multiple war crimes including very immoral and unethical experiments on the Loroi in the past, therefore they have every reason to be.
inxsi wrote:I'm also pretty sure that Mozin and the historian construct are unaware (or at least have not been informed by the Loroi) that the Loroi farseer is unable to detect the Umiak fleet and Alex. On the other hand, Alex is not being totally open either - he has not mentioned the other human ships, and imagine the fun if they show up in Seren after all of this only to discover that he is the second human ambassador to arrive :shock:
Farseeing is, as far as I understand, the only real strategic advantage the Loroi military has against the Umiak. It's safe to assume that the Umiak navy outnumbers the Loroi at least 5:1, likely 10:1 or more and it is unknown how large the Umiak empire is and what their output is. Farseeing has thus far been the only thing keeping this war in a stalemate as opposed to a total curb stomp. Now when farseeing all of a sudden doesn't work anymore, allowing even rumors to spread about your only advantage not working anymore would be suicide.

About Alex - indeed... Now imagine the fun if the Loroi find humans having contacted the Umiak first...

@Siber - you misunderstood. Inxsi and myself were talking about the theoretical possibility of Tempo playing her "mind games" locally, onboard the shuttle, NOT having orchestrated the whole mess. That would be beyond BS and definitely not in the best interests of the Loroi Union ;)

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

entity2636 wrote: You probably meant Tempo not Beryl?
Yes, not sure how I mixed up Tempo and Beryl there :oops:

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Bets on where Jardin's hands are going to grab hold onto?
SpoilerShow
TITS TITS TITS TITS

Arent

Post by Arent »

novius wrote:
discord wrote:well, given his 17 IQ stat he is literally a Genius, university level Engineering course which mere mortals complete in four years, this guy? a single semester.... yes he is scary smart, skipping a few grades? piece of cake.
Scarily smart? Of course Beryl's nerd vibe would be attracted to someone who can match her word for word... :)
Waitwaitwait, Alex is *smarter* than Beryl? And her advantage is a photographic memory?

Is there a character sheet of Alex around somewhere or was this mentioned in some thread?

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Memory and intelligence aren't really the same thing. Memory is what you can remember, whereas intelligence is how well you can use what you remember. Relevant to each other, but not the same thing.

Arent

Post by Arent »

Absalom wrote:Memory and intelligence aren't really the same thing. Memory is what you can remember, whereas intelligence is how well you can use what you remember. Relevant to each other, but not the same thing.
Err, I didn't say they were the same thing. I just assumed that Alex was the "common guy" you often have as main character & Beryl the "genius girl". Seeing Alex has 17 intelligence & Beryl 16 surprised me a little.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Alex is an IQ17... that sounds like a GURPS Stat...! Is there a GURPS write-up for Alexander Jardin that I've somehow missed? Could some one post or can I get a link?
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Luge

Post by Luge »

In the "Odds and Ends" section of the Insider page.

GURPS Fireblade (6/6/06)
GURPS Beryl (5/4/06)
GURPS Tempo (4/27/04)

You're a little behind...

L.

Dorfington

Post by Dorfington »

He's after Alex's GURP sheet in particular which doesn't seem to be on the website.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Dorfington wrote:He's after Alex's GURP sheet in particular which doesn't seem to be on the website.
What he said.. I've had those other GURPS Character sheets for YEARS! That's why I was hoping there would be a sheet for Alex.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Luge

Post by Luge »

Ah, my apologies!

Arioch gave us a bit of inside information on Alex in thispost.
Arioch wrote:Alex is ST10 DX10 IQ17 HT10
L.