Page 126: Oh my~

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

icekatze

Re: Page 126: Oh my~

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Even among our closest primate relatives, there is a lot of variation in muscle strength. For a muscle of equal mass, chimpanzees have approximately 1.35 times the strength of humans, for example.

One of the fundamental limitations of muscle strength is the connective tissue between individual cells, which is part of why very small animals like ants have proportionally more strength than larger animals. If Loroi muscle tissue has connective tissue that is less prone to tearing at the cellular level, then they could have stronger muscles without changing much else.

Username

Post by Username »

Arioch wrote:Beryl moved behind Talon to observe the conversation with the Clearbrook, but this is not depicted in any of the panels. The proper fix is probably to add her in behind Talon in the second panel of 126.

Ah, that makes sense. Sorry for being a stickler about it. :oops:

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Username wrote:
Arioch wrote:Beryl moved behind Talon to observe the conversation with the Clearbrook, but this is not depicted in any of the panels. The proper fix is probably to add her in behind Talon in the second panel of 126.
Ah, that makes sense. Sorry for being a stickler about it. :oops:
Not at all; it's something that I was thinking about but didn't resolve. Your comment led to my thinking of a decent way to resolve it.

It's a higher priority right now to get page 127 done, but I'll eventually go back and fix it.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Diodri wrote:It must be rough, having every single line of your web comic being meticulously scanned by... you know, I'm not sure how much traffic the site gets... But it's being scanned by at least 258 people according to Patreon. I can't imagine the amount of work that goes into keeping the continuity straight.
Well, there IS a fix for that.
Update faster, so that the fans focus more on the story when discussing instead of some obscure and story-wise irrelevant detail.

But then, we fans expect to get weeks to dissect a page. And yet, we find most relevant stuff very early after publication.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

CF2

Post by CF2 »

If they're expending their reserves and leaving the shuttle behind, then lining up the speeding ships to set up an umbilical will be tense indeed. I imagine Alex is at the very least hoping there will be an umbilical to dash through, as he has probably had all of the propulsion-less EVA he wants to.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

CF2 wrote:If they're expending their reserves and leaving the shuttle behind, then lining up the speeding ships to set up an umbilical will be tense indeed. I imagine Alex is at the very least hoping there will be an umbilical to dash through, as he has probably had all of the propulsion-less EVA he wants to.
Simple solution: stop accelerating for the time needed to attach the umbilical and transfer to the frigate.
The Enemy has only just arrived at Leido, its not like they will be able to intercept anything within the next few hours.

A question for Arioch. Is the Clearbrook's CO older then Stillstorm? From how I see it she looks the elder warrior.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Arioch wrote:The proper fix is probably to add her in behind Talon in the second panel of 126.
By the way, is there a way to track such silent updates? Maybe, RSS feed or something?
PS
For now I've wrote a script, that downloads all pages of the comics and compare it with my local backup copy. Found more than 20 updated pages across whole story.
Outsider in Russian

discord

Post by discord »

Dragoon: just chiming in on the strength thing, humans are most assuredly not the strongest on earth pound for pound, even given similar body shapes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDxg0pJAX4 <--- orangutans are silly strong with enough grip strength to actually crush your tibia(lower leg bone) simply by grabbing your leg too hard.

we are on the other hand one of the(probably just THE) best land based long distance runners.

ShadowDragon8685

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

CF2 wrote:If they're expending their reserves and leaving the shuttle behind, then lining up the speeding ships to set up an umbilical will be tense indeed. I imagine Alex is at the very least hoping there will be an umbilical to dash through, as he has probably had all of the propulsion-less EVA he wants to.
More importantly, he probably no longer has an EVA suit sized for him, and it doesn't seem that typical Loroi shipboard gear fits him, boots aside.
GeoModder wrote:A question for Arioch. Is the Clearbrook's CO older then Stillstorm? From how I see it she looks the elder warrior.
IIRC, Arioch said that recently (in terms of this war, at least,) Stillstorm lost both of her daughters in battle, and she cut her hair short in mourning. Given how long her hair is now, and that Arioch said that Loroi hair grows no faster than human hair, that should say something about how sodding long this war has been going on.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Krulle wrote:Well, there IS a fix for that.
Update faster, so that the fans focus more on the story when discussing instead of some obscure and story-wise irrelevant detail.
Since the nitpicks start on the same day as the page is posted, there's hole in this logic. :D

It really doesn't bother me. All feedback is welcome. I only feel the need to revise things when I think they're important.
There are actually several other continuity errors in the last few pages that I'd like to get around to fixing, but they're not as important. And there are some that are deliberate but really minor (such as the direction of lighting, etc.).
GeoModder wrote:A question for Arioch. Is the Clearbrook's CO older then Stillstorm? From how I see it she looks the elder warrior.
She's probably over 50, but Stillstorm is a lot older than that. However, whether you're 50 or 150, all the hard fighting has been in the last 25 years. "It's not the years, honey... it's the mileage."
SVlad wrote:
Arioch wrote:The proper fix is probably to add her in behind Talon in the second panel of 126.
By the way, is there a way to track such silent updates? Maybe, RSS feed or something?
For now I've wrote a script, that downloads all pages of the comics and compare it with my local backup copy. Found more than 20 updated pages across whole story.
I know this has been an issue, so I'll think of ways to notify for retroactive changes. RSS could work, though it's kind of a pain.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

discord wrote:Dragoon: just chiming in on the strength thing, humans are most assuredly not the strongest on earth pound for pound, even given similar body shapes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDxg0pJAX4 <--- orangutans are silly strong with enough grip strength to actually crush your tibia(lower leg bone) simply by grabbing your leg too hard.

we are on the other hand one of the(probably just THE) best land based long distance runners.
Also, we have better aim and muscle coordination.

Dorfington

Post by Dorfington »

Also, we have better aim and muscle coordination.
I do believe that we are one of the very few animals that use projectiles.

Gorbash

Post by Gorbash »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote: More importantly, he probably no longer has an EVA suit sized for him, and it doesn't seem that typical Loroi shipboard gear fits him, boots aside.
Fireblade's gear fits him well enough, thought it seems like by Loroi standards that might be the same as saying "Shaquille O'Neal's boots fit him well enough".
Dorfington wrote: I do believe that we are one of the very few animals that use projectiles.
Yep, though our ability to making "targeting calculations" is especially unusual. Chimps and other primates tend to be okay at flinging things, but even ignoring the differences of leverage our posture gives us, the amount of hand-eye coordination we display in accurate long-distance throwing is something beyond pretty much every other species on the planet.

In regards to chimps... while for the most part the difference in strength seems to stem from long muscle fibers within their tissue, its worth noting that your average chimpanzee also puts at least the amount of motive effort into their arms that your average human does in their legs (what with relying much more heavily on them for motion). Chimpanzee arms tend to be visibly built up, too. Muscle strength requires muscle stress; unless their creators really tweaked their genetics a lot, we should be able to see some of that in arm width, shoulder breadth, and general stance (like we can on Fireblade).

I think its possible that your average Loroi may be stronger than your average human, even after making up for appropriate leverage differences, but I suspect Loroi in Beryl's position (practically a Mentat) don't bench-press much higher than Jarden would.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Gorbash wrote: I think its possible that your average Loroi may be stronger than your average human, even after making up for appropriate leverage differences, but I suspect Loroi in Beryl's position (practically a Mentat) don't bench-press much higher than Jarden would.
Lets universally agree in keeping Human men capable of impressing Loroi with a warrior like attribute :P

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

It is my understanding that whoever designed the Loroi may have made them look like humans, but in the process of porting the functionality over to the Soia-Liron standard, they rewrote the code from the ground up. Now, it would be presumptuous of me to guess at the Soia's intentions in creating the Loroi, but if they'd wanted to, I think it is entirely possible for them to have given the Loroi innately better than human strength. Or maybe they just assumed that having telekinesis didn't require physical strength.

Since Alex doesn't have a space suit, I wonder does the shuttle have any emergency inflatable pods?

Arent

Post by Arent »

Arioch wrote:
It's a higher priority right now to get page 127 done, but I'll eventually go back and fix it.
Actually, I expected you not to publish anything for some months now, since rise & fall came out &
I thought you were busy playing that.
But sometimes creating a game/book/music yourself is cooler than just playing/reading the stuff
of others.

Darroth

Post by Darroth »

I see OP and I were of similar thoughts.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I just realized something, if it was Tempo then it would have been on purpose.

Diodri

Post by Diodri »

Arioch wrote:
SVlad wrote:
I know this has been an issue, so I'll think of ways to notify for retroactive changes. RSS could work, though it's kind of a pain.
Maybe implement a changelog? XD
Now I have to go back and read from the beginning, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to notice the changes if they are just minor tweaks.

And let me just take a moment to say, I really appreciate you taking the time to engage with the forums. It's really nice to get a peek behind the scenes, and all the extra lore and cultural tidbits we don't get to see in the comics. Poor non-forumites have no idea what they are missing.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Diodri wrote: Now I have to go back and read from the beginning, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to notice the changes if they are just minor tweaks.
Most of the changes was fixing colors on Loroi uniform and turning on their uniform glowing.
Other notable changes are:
  • 001 - Changed intro text;
  • 112 - Changed background scene and view angle;
  • 116 - Fixed ink on Talon's uhm... legs;
  • 117 - Added stars behind window;
  • 119 - Added Beryl before map.
Outsider in Russian