Page 133: "Will you permit it?"

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Turrosh Mak

Re: Page 133: "Will you permit it?"

Post by Turrosh Mak »

SVlad wrote:Loroi trade language seems less alien for me, than actual English. Was the Trading language created under the influence of Russian?
The rumor is that Russian can be spoken clearly without moving your jaw so you can still communicate after the Mongols/Boyar's Overseer/Oprichniki/Cheka/NKVD/KGB/FSB have broken it.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Corpsman_of_Krieg wrote:Arioch, I may not be picking up on it as much as I ought to, but is there some degree of pensiveness, or even a little trepidation in Beryl’s question to Jardin? I have to believe that, despite the fact that he is a literal alien of almost unknowable qualities beyond what she can directly observe, which she obviously does with great attention to detail, that so far her reaction, and for that matter Tempo’s reaction as well, to the entire scenario they are in with this virtual unknown has lent credence to my wondering if his physical appearance has put them overly at-ease, given how sinilar he looks to them.
I try not to comment on what characters are thinking or feeling, as that should be something that is revealed in the narrative. But in this case I don't think I will be (or at least hope that I won't be) surprising anyone if I say that Beryl has no fear whatever of Alex. If she has any trepidation, it's that she might disturb or offend him. It certainly helps that he looks like an attractive male of her species, and that he speaks her language fluently and smiles and gives other nonverbal cues that she recognizes... but she's the sort that would volunteer to study xenomorphs and then wonder, while they were killing her, what she had done to provoke them.

As for what Tempo is thinking... no comment. :D

novius

Post by novius »

Arioch wrote:As for what Tempo is thinking... no comment. :D
Tempo surely has her own ideas, I guess. :D There is a single person which has been appointed with ambassadorial status by his own government... that it happened by default because every higher-ranking officer on his ship is dead is irrelevant. He is of a so far undiscovered species and his very existence alone could shake the foundations of the Loroi Union. Well... that he is rather easy on her eyes might be an additional boon.

Now there's some upstart Listel Tozet quickly establishing some rapport with him, even before they boarded the Highland-7 to transfer to Seren, thus technically encroaching on her domain and that of her own caste.

And, I guess being in the spook business left her with few scruples. Could very much be that her statement that she'd better be out of Stillstorm's sight, too, might be a fib and her going along with the trip was mainly her own idea. To not let this unique chance of being part of this momentuous occasion slip past by her.

As with Beryl? It could either be that they'll strike sparks over him because of conflicting interests, or that Tempo would egg Beryl on. After all, let Beryl take the risks and she herself could reap the rewards, some day. Rank and seniority has its privileges, after all.

Definitely anxious to see how Tempo takes in all what happened since Alex entered the cockpit section just to review some star maps. :)

Arent

Post by Arent »

novius wrote:
Tempo surely has her own ideas, I guess. :D There is a single person which has been appointed with ambassadorial status by his own government... that it happened by default because every higher-ranking officer on his ship is dead is irrelevant. He is of a so far undiscovered species and his very existence alone could shake the foundations of the Loroi Union. Well... that he is rather easy on her eyes might be an additional boon.
Well, in Beryls char sheet xenophilia & charitable are mentioned as character quirks. So, her reaction is in character. There are also some blackened-out parts in Beryls & Tempos sheet. So, who knows what Tempo thinks of this weird alien.

Apart from that Beryl comes sometimes across a little patronizing, for example her comment that she will take "good care" of Alex. That doesn't sound as if she is afraid of him, rather that she is afraid something could happen to him.

Actually, the Loroi "should" find Alex quite mysterious/scary. After all, they are not used to not-knowing what other species think. Ususally, they would immediately know if someone plans to attack them. But in Alex case they are completely at a loss.

Michael

Post by Michael »

Arent wrote:
novius wrote:
Well, in Beryls char sheet xenophilia & charitable are mentioned as character quirks. So, her reaction is in character. There are also some blackened-out parts in Beryls & Tempos sheet. So, who knows what Tempo thinks of this weird alien.

Apart from that Beryl comes sometimes across a little patronizing, for example her comment that she will take "good care" of Alex. That doesn't sound as if she is afraid of him, rather that she is afraid something could happen to him.

Actually, the Loroi "should" find Alex quite mysterious/scary. After all, they are not used to not-knowing what other species think. Ususally, they would immediately know if someone plans to attack them. But in Alex case they are completely at a loss.
I would say her patronizing is also somewhat with in character. After all, the males of the species are in short supply and so they're protected and probably coddled as much as is practicle, in other words Beryl has a socially ingrained reaction to look after a male, the fact he looks so familiar probably just reinforces that reaction
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

novius

Post by novius »

Arent wrote:
novius wrote:
She'd definitely not be interested in him that way, maybe only how he could further her career or be beneficial for the Loroi at a whole. I'd peg her as the type who would use seduction as a means to an end, but for her it is simply another tool in her arsenal. Second, of course she'd be interested in how far the human lotai goes... and perhaps its practical applications to the second line of business of her caste. And if that requires some hands-on research she may go the route of verifying Beryl's findings for herself.
Arent wrote:Apart from that Beryl comes sometimes across a little patronizing, for example her comment that she will take "good care" of Alex. That doesn't sound as if she is afraid of him, rather that she is afraid something could happen to him.
A little bit, but that big grin and how she stressed the words tell Alex and every Loroi in earshot "All mine!", I'd say. Add to that, she seems to genuinely feel the need to make amends on behalf of her people (and by extension herself) for the poor treatment Alex got so far. And yes, Alex looks close enough to the males of her species for her genetically and culturally ingrained need to protect and coddle him to kick in. And that might add to it, that she does feel her people grossly transgressed their own customs.
Arent wrote:Actually, the Loroi "should" find Alex quite mysterious/scary. After all, they are not used to not-knowing what other species think. Ususally, they would immediately know if someone plans to attack them. But in Alex case they are completely at a loss.
It's a bit more complicated than that. Loroi receiving coherent thoughts or even feelings, especially over distance, from aliens is more the exception than the norm. Feeling their presence however and maybe their disposition towards the Loroi is more common.

But yes, Alex would fall into the "uncanny valley" for them. He looks close enough to be considered kin (even close enough for said protective instincts to kick in), but on the other hand, Beryl said it herself - even at close range, he seems completely blank to her. To her it must feel the same like one of the robots (or characters in a computer animation) to us who look very much human, but their gait, posture and movements are still 'a bit off' that they would just be recognizable as artificial.

As a side note, that fits perfectly with that Talon was easy to accept his offer at friendship - and his hand - and offer hers in turn. Alex himself (as the narrator) did note that he never felt that sensation of a Loroi trying to probe his mind. Because Talon obviously didn't. Be it because of her lacking talent or simply not trying to, she took his presence much more as granted than even Beryl does, simply because she didn't need or want the 'backing' of his presence in sanzai.

Invictus227

Post by Invictus227 »

Arioch when posting the next few pages:

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

+1

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

novius wrote:Now there's some upstart Listel Tozet quickly establishing some rapport with him, even before they boarded the Highland-7 to transfer to Seren, thus technically encroaching on her domain and that of her own caste.
Tempo is smart, I'm sure she's already calculated how to use that to her advantage if needed.

Good elf, bad elf. Have Beryl ask questions that might provoke suspicion if they came from Tempo. Etc.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

In this case wouldn't be Good Elf, Bad Elf, Sexy Elf? :P

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

dragoongfa wrote:In this case wouldn't be Good Elf, Bad Elf, Sexy Elf? :P
Are you implying that only one of them fits the last descriptor?