Page 133: "Will you permit it?"

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

bunnyboy

Re: Page 133: "Will you permit it?"

Post by bunnyboy »

Who wouldn't want some skin-to-skin with sexy and curious blue skinned alien?
I would be all kirk with her.
Supporter of forum RPG

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

man_of_foul_tofu wrote: @Zarya - I think Arioch has been very clear that there will be no saucy activity of any kind. However, there is this which is entirely non-cannon.

I had the speculation that we have telepathy and telekenisis, and perhaps Alex (being human) would act as an amplifier or a unique alteration being able to be made to that person's mental faculties - but having read this (http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/forum_telepathy.html) I dont think my hypothothis fits with the plot as it exists, and the information provided.
Let’s see how this develops and what the effect is of a consensual touch when a highly trained Listel is doing the probing. Fortunately there is time for practical experimentation to answer some very pressing questions (better understanding what’s going on with the human’s Lotai could be, or is, a matter of life or death for the Loroi!)

BTW in the discussion about page 127 Arioch made the following remark that may become a strong additional motive for Humanity to root for the Loroi, and the other way round. Relationship can imply any form of friendship, not necessarily sauciness.
Arioch wrote:
WalexB wrote:Well as to the presumed future avoidance of "romantic" developments that is a bit unrealistic but whatever.
I've seen this sort of thing repeated a few times (that supposedly I said there will be no "romantic" relationship of any kind in the story), but I don't recall saying this and I can't find a record of my saying it. I do recall saying something to the effect that those expecting to see graphic depictions of sexual activity are going to be disappointed, but that's not the same thing.

novius

Post by novius »

Zarya wrote:BTW in the discussion about page 127 Arioch made the following remark that may become a strong additional motive for Humanity to root for the Loroi, and the other way round. Relationship can imply any form of friendship, not necessarily sauciness.
Arioch wrote:
WalexB wrote:Well as to the presumed future avoidance of "romantic" developments that is a bit unrealistic but whatever.
I've seen this sort of thing repeated a few times (that supposedly I said there will be no "romantic" relationship of any kind in the story), but I don't recall saying this and I can't find a record of my saying it. I do recall saying something to the effect that those expecting to see graphic depictions of sexual activity are going to be disappointed, but that's not the same thing.
And thus spake the Lord :) I remember saying something like that as well. The sensible choice would be for Alex to jump ship at the first opportunity since it seems that the Loroi are on the losing side, and humans have a good counter to Loroi telepathy. So yes, a connection on a personal level - be it friendship, a bit of romance or an instance of actually working telepathy between these two - would be another reason for Alex to continue rooting for the Loroi.

PG-13 (as this comic rates itself) may include tasteful depictions of romance. Kissing, one may see, but everything starting with heavy groping would be strictly off-screen. Personally, I like this much more than comics with more mature ratings, because many authors there use these as an excuse to freely go with heavy action - be it sexual situations or gore - unrelated to the plot.

In-character, the Loroi might subconsciously come to a similar conclusion. That they actually feel the need to get into Alex's good graces. Talon might have felt the need to impress him, Beryl to apologize for the actions done to him by her people. Though she is way too innocent to actually play an attempt at seduction - that's something one would expect from Tempo.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Arioch wrote:Alex: "And if you can get safely aboard, what then?"
Talon: "You wished to see something interesting, Enzin. I think maybe now you will see it!"
Alex: "Don't feel like you have to impress me!"

I don't get what is confusing people about this interchange.
For nonnative speakers it's easy to confuse modal verb "have to" with present perfect auxiliary verb "have". And understand the last phrase as "You don't feel like you have impressed me".
At least two more Russian speaking readers has been confused by this phrase.
Outsider in Russian

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I wonder whether a willing mind of Alex, willing to connect to Beryl, willing to allow her some connection, for his own curiosity, his wanting to connect allowing her to use a sideeffect his Lotai to find why/where/how the Umiak ships hide themselves.

But this may just be my hope to see the story progress to the advantage of the blue space elves.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Zarya wrote: Let’s see how this develops and what the effect is of a consensual touch when a highly trained Listel is doing the probing.
Alex: "Not the way I expected to be probed by aliens."

Let's hope they're never able to read him remotely... he'd never be able to hide his inner snark.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

SVlad wrote:
Talon: "You wished to see something interesting, Enzin. I think maybe now you will see it!"

For nonnative speakers it's easy to confuse modal verb "have to" with present perfect auxiliary verb "have". And understand the last phrase as "You don't feel like you have impressed me".
I'm sure that's a valid reason for confusion, but I think the English speaking readers (well, those for whom English is their first language) were confused over who Alex was addressing, in the Patreon version of the post. The "final" version of the page has Alex saying, "Don't feel like you have to impress me, Talon!" which makes it clear, but in that original dialog, quoted above, together with the ambiguity of where Alex was looking (and then Beryl's response) made it unclear.

Regarding any budding romance among Alex and any of the Loroi: meh. It'll be annoying. I've never had this blue-elf sexual fantasy, but so long as it's secondary to the main story, it'll be fine.

CJSF

Diodri

Post by Diodri »

cacambo43 wrote:I've never had this blue-elf sexual fantasy,
HERETIC!

jk jk

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Perverse!

And yes, I also request it to remain secondary to the story, and preferable not be depicted at all.
I like the hints, and how the characters look at each other, and seeing the situation they're in, go for "soft touching" each other.
Showing more would do the story of this comic a lot of harm.
"If something happens" it may be hinted at (e.g. by all Loroi smirking when they see Beryl or Alexander), but should not graphiocally depicted at all.
Otherwise it would distract too much from the story, and seeing the last few years update speed, the story needs to move on before Arioch gets hit with new large projects....
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

CF2

Post by CF2 »

novius wrote:Personally, I like this much more than comics with more mature ratings, because many authors there use these as an excuse to freely go with heavy action - be it sexual situations or gore - unrelated to the plot.
I'd play devil's advocate and argue that the choice of having a plot secondary to the character development isn't necessarily tied to a more mature rating.

As for the situation Alex is in, I wouldn't be surprised if a certain mizol parat helped encourage any relations that secured diplomatic favor or insight.

Arent

Post by Arent »

What the hell are all of you guys talking about? Flirts or romantic relationships are a staple part of many stories. & Arioch has made it abundantly clear that he won't cross certain lines.

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

SVlad wrote:

Would changing the line to read "Don't feel like you NEED to impress me!" have been clearer for a non-english speaker?

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

Yeah, why am I not surprised by the direction these discussions are going. Don't much care about romance (remember, in real life it just doesn't happen in such circumstances) but in this case the probing is meant to shed some light on the telepathic character of humans (or lack thereoff).Wonder how he would react if he knew she had kids...
The dreadfull thing is, I believe Tempest will bite the dust soon, along with her commander. Doesn't seem like the type to run. Which is bad news for the Loroi, and us since we won't be able to explore their worlds very well before they are brought to the brink...

novius

Post by novius »

I wonder why the sudden hate, though. Surely Arioch would do better than have the story devolve into p0rn without plot as some people may seem to think it would.

If it's depicted tastefully, within its self-imposed limits of PG-13 and actual sort-of important for the plot (as in, giving Alex a continued reason to root for the Loroi and for "the group" to make the fight a bit more personal, for example), I'd say go for it.

Could very much be that Loroi and human can communicate telepathically, but only if they're not just physically, but emotionally connected, for example.

That would be solely in The Creator's purview. And it's up to him to decide.

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

Hear, hear - 100% agree

Arent

Post by Arent »

novius wrote:Could very much be that Loroi and human can communicate telepathically, but only if they're not just physically, but emotionally connected, for example.
It can be safely assumed that something will happen. Otherwise the build up so far wouldn't have made sense.

Apart from that, I would really like to see the character sheet of Alex. In Beryls case there are some blacked-out items.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Turrosh Mak wrote: Would changing the line to read "Don't feel like you NEED to impress me!" have been clearer for a non-english speaker?
Yes. Actually, after first WTF I've carefully reread the sentence and translated it correctly word by word, but wasn't quite sure in result.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

SVlad wrote:
Turrosh Mak wrote: Would changing the line to read "Don't feel like you NEED to impress me!" have been clearer for a non-english speaker?
Yes. Actually, after first WTF I've carefully reread the sentence and translated it correctly word by word, but wasn't quite sure in result.
By the way, just wondering ... in your translation, why did you change the names of the Loroi and Umiak to "Lorai" and "Yumiak" (Лорай и Юмиак) instead of just using a straight transliteration (Лорой и Умиaк)?

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

GabrielGABFonseca wrote:my money is on Alex being able to sense, somehow, that Beryl is trying to reach him. I don't think he'll be able to respond in any telepathic way, but maybe they'll be able to change the "shapes" that he is seeing?
Part of me would love if Novius' suggestion did come about though...
It's possible active consent from Alex might change things too.