Page 133: "Will you permit it?"

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

GabrielGABFonseca

Page 133: "Will you permit it?"

Post by GabrielGABFonseca »

Made the thread because it had to be done.

Discuss away!
Tauntingly: "Enzin tii Eilis mé sibreg ranii tó lanzedad..."

orion1836

Re: Page 133: "Will you permit it?"

Post by orion1836 »

Last edited by orion1836 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Supernova

Post by Supernova »

Man, 2018 has been a crazy year for updates with this comic. I've been following this since 2006 I think. I can't believe it's been over 12 years so far. Someday this comic will be finished, and it will be fantastic.

Logannion

Post by Logannion »

Well then.

Lets see how this goes eh?

novius

Post by novius »

"Arrir Pottymouth" :D ... and looks like Alex had about the same thoughts in the comic as I did in the discussions.

Well... "All for scientific reasons".... of course.... Her words say one thing, but their presentation definitely tells more than that. Were she human, I'd almost say there is a bit of jealousy towards Talon playing into it and the decision to up the ante a bit. But she isn't.... right...?

I wonder what happens if Tempo shows up at this very moment, curious about what all the fuss is about.

Or, if they actually touch hands and she concludes "Nope, still nothing." - Would she stop at just hands? When it comes to curiosity vs. propriety, curiosty already won once.
Last edited by novius on Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Siber

Post by Siber »

Honestly, I'll be a little surprised if Tempo isn't egging her on through the walls. After all, they might all die soon, but there might still be time to transmit final findings before the end, so it makes some sense to try to push the intel gathering faster than they would otherwise.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

novius

Post by novius »

Siber wrote:Honestly, I'll be a little surprised if Tempo isn't egging her on through the walls. After all, they might all die soon, but there might still be time to transmit final findings before the end, so it makes some sense to try to push the intel gathering faster than they would otherwise.
Perhaps she is? We never get to see the sanzai subtext. For example she could 'ask' Beryl if and how much humans would be susceptible to seduction.

Logannion

Post by Logannion »

Prediction: They hold hands, then Tempo catches them in the act.

At which, Berryl will be forced to explain why she is sitting on Alex's lap, holding his hands. :oops:

Probably with the pilots nudging her a bit.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Logannion wrote:Prediction: They hold hands, then Tempo catches them in the act.

At which, Berryl will be forced to explain why she is sitting on Alex's lap, holding his hands. :oops:

"Uuhm, ah, it's a human greeting ritual!"

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I have a feeling that, even if Beryl doesn't sense anything, Alex will. He had a vague notion of Fireblade's presence when she was trying to probe his mind, and while Talon may not have been skilled or very actively trying to get into his thoughts during her handshake, I have a feeling that Beryl will be more inquisitive.

Perhaps Tempo has standing orders for everyone to try to telepathically get info out of him if they can, as well.

Arent

Post by Arent »

novius wrote:Or, if they actually touch hands and she concludes "Nope, still nothing." - Would she stop at just hands? When it comes to curiosity vs. propriety, curiosty already won once.
After all this build up, it would be quite anticlimatic if there is "nope, still nothing".
icekatze wrote:hi hi
I have a feeling that, even if Beryl doesn't sense anything, Alex will. He had a vague notion of Fireblade's presence when she was trying to probe his mind, and while Talon may not have been skilled or very actively trying to get into his thoughts during her handshake, I have a feeling that Beryl will be more inquisitive.
That could be another possibility - not the Loroi discover something, but Alex does. Maybe he can 'link into' the telepathic communication of the Loroi by touching one of them.

novius

Post by novius »

Arent wrote:
novius wrote:Or, if they actually touch hands and she concludes "Nope, still nothing." - Would she stop at just hands? When it comes to curiosity vs. propriety, curiosty already won once.
After all this build up, it would be quite anticlimatic if there is "nope, still nothing".
Could be worse. She could say "nope, still nothing", with a "how about...?" tagged onto it, but Alex saying something like "Well... that was unpleasant.", which would definitely put a stop to her 'experimentation'.
icekatze wrote:hi hi
That could be another possibility - not the Loroi discover something, but Alex does. Maybe he can 'link into' the telepathic communication of the Loroi by touching one of them.
Maybe not to that extent. That he can sense someone trying to mind-rape him, and later on could identify who, that's already a given. But perhaps how he perceives an attempt at sanzai depends much on the intention of the Loroi in question. Opposite to his first experiences with sanzai, Beryl actually seems to be rather considerate and respectful this time.

I'm sure everyone on board may be interested whether, while Alex might not gauge actual thoughts, could discern the disposition of the Loroi touching him or not.

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

Of course he will permit it. They both live for science.

(Top-notch!)

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

And if holding hands isn't enough, there are places they could tocuh each other with less thick skin...
For science, only. Obviously.

I really wonder why I haven't started to look for R34 stuff of this comic yet.
Maybe because I don't want to get expectations for the actual comic story.
Honestly, this comic, while bordering the tropes and giving more than enough visual cues, simply doesn't trigger for wanting more than just alluring to it.
How do you do that, Arioch?
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Arent

Post by Arent »

Krulle wrote: Honestly, this comic, while bordering the tropes and giving more than enough visual cues, simply doesn't trigger for wanting more than just alluring to it.
How do you do that, Arioch?
Wasn't there a kissing scene somewhere drawn by Arioch?

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Not that I mind some Jardin/Beryl time, but one wonders if this is the place and moment for "experiments" . They are both soldiers in a life or death situation.

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

Krulle wrote:I really wonder why I haven't started to look for R34 stuff of this comic yet.
The beards... the beards...

Luge

Post by Luge »

I have to be honest, I'm rather "meh" about this new page. Actually, compared to the last half a dozen which were really good, I don't like it at all.

Alex calling out Talon for trying to impress him seems out of character, particularly since this isn't the time for needless distractions. Him then calling Talon "pottymouth" seems out of place as well. I've yet to meet either a military person or a professional sailor who isn't used to a bit of swearing. Plus, Talon is swearing in Trade which, as a diplomatic language, isn't going to have the same impact in terms of foul language

Why should Beryl say sorry for putting Alex in danger? She didn't do anything. She'd be more likely to say "I apologise for the inconvenience while we deal with this situation, Captain".

And NOW there's a long explanation of telepathic touching? The dialogue is okay, but it's out place after the pace of the last few pages, especially if you were reading these pages in sequence for the first time.

I'm sure lots of people are going to reply and disagree, but of all the pages in Outsider so far, this one interests me the least.

L.

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

Luge wrote:Alex calling out Talon for trying to impress him seems out of character, particularly since this isn't the time for needless distractions. Him then calling Talon "pottymouth" seems out of place as well. I've yet to meet either a military person or a professional sailor who isn't used to a bit of swearing. Plus, Talon is swearing in Trade which, as a diplomatic language, isn't going to have the same impact in terms of foul language
I think he is making a joke observation/teasing Talon.
Why should Beryl say sorry for putting Alex in danger? She didn't do anything. She'd be more likely to say "I apologise for the inconvenience while we deal with this situation, Captain".
She personally told him not to worry and that everything would be fine when they were boarding the shuttle, IIRC. Maybe she feels personally ashamed that she gave those reassurances. I would feel a bit embarrassed if I took someone on a trip that turned out terrible, even if it were absolutely not my fault.
And NOW there's a long explanation of telepathic touching? The dialogue is okay, but it's out place after the pace of the last few pages, especially if you were reading these pages in sequence for the first time.
Since they are likely about to die in a flash of hot plasma (or so they think) and they don't have their hands full with piloting the shuttle or attending to other matters, what better time would there be? Should they sit in awkward silence pondering their impending destruction? I read it as that Alex is getting into a "dark humour" mood (to relieve the tension of the situation) and Beryl is simply using that as an opportunity. It may seem a bit forced, but you don't want to waste time in this comic ;)
I'm sure lots of people are going to reply and disagree, but of all the pages in Outsider so far, this one interests me the least.
Sure, if everyone had the same opinion, the world would be a boring place.

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

This page might be a prelude to a kiss?