Page 134: For Science!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

cacambo43

Re: Page 134: For Science!

Post by cacambo43 »

fredgiblet wrote:
cacambo43 wrote:I don't think Alex seeing Fireblade's psychic silhouette is as much telepathic as a telekinetic fingerprint or after effect, lingering from her attempt to access his mind earlier. That might mean she's keeping a light telekinetic "touch" on him in case she needs to take quick action. I still don't think she's out to get him, and despite Alex's insult (harpy, indeed!) I think she could turn out to be a good friend. But that's as likely me projecting hopes on the comic, which will unfold as it will.
It's important to remember that while it's taken a decade for US, in the comic it's been literally just a couple weeks at most. And he's spent a lot of that time with not much to do but dwell on the events we've seen.
Oh, I understand Alex's reaction, totally. That's tangential to what I'm speculating on above - but I think we guess the author's intent at our peril! ;-)

CJSF

novius

Post by novius »

cacambo43 wrote:I don't think Alex seeing Fireblade's psychic silhouette is as much telepathic as a telekinetic fingerprint or after effect, lingering from her attempt to access his mind earlier. That might mean she's keeping a light telekinetic "touch" on him in case she needs to take quick action. I still don't think she's out to get him, and despite Alex's insult (harpy, indeed!) I think she could turn out to be a good friend. But that's as likely me projecting hopes on the comic, which will unfold as it will.

CJSF
It didn't need to be the result of a voluntary action, but could just be an aftereffect of this attempted mind-rape. Fireblade made it clear that she still thinks quite little of him and his wisecracks and her whole demeanor says she's displeased at playing caretaker for a suspicious alien (rather than being on the front lines).

Interesting, though, in their second, more forceful attempt it was definitely Fireblade he sensed. But as said, this was the second attempt at trying to use sanzai on him, he woke up from the first attempt after having an indistinct impression. Meaning, it could have been Fireblade from the very first time or any of the other Loroi present. But yes, him singling her out could just be because of her being the strongest of the lot, by far.

Any other assumption (soulmates, meh) would be much less palatable to both of them, for sure.

My bet is on two things:
  1. Learning about this, Beryl just has to include Fireblade in her experiments, maybe to her chagrin, too, since she did seem to enjoy the moments where she had Alex all to herself, but ... well, for science.
  2. Both Alex and Fireblade would not be fond of that idea, too. They had sort of a silent agreement to stay out of each other's way.
On the other hand that is a good plot hook to throw these two together, to get them at least on speaking terms to each other... well, sort of.

Huh. Could be that Alex's ability comes to be important in later stages. Nowhere it is said how precise Loroi farsensing is, but I'd guess assensing a target's exact location and pose is not part of it. Could be quite helpful if it ever comes to having to rescue her from, say, being buried in debris.

Arent

Post by Arent »

Arioch wrote:
boldilocks wrote:Alex is a genius, so his plan will be to have the loroi fleet be slowly chased for almost 3 hours of a sub-par movie while the umiak slowly kill off their ships one by one and then drop everyone off on a planet, turn the last ship around and do a deep jump into a umiak super-heavy.
Except that he has to make sure not to tell his allies about the plan so that they end up unwittingly working against him, and the Umiak have to immediately surround and attack the planet so that it was all for nothing, and so that the most powerful non-evil psi in the galaxy can sacrifice himself to save about 10 useless people for no particular reason.
Huh? Who exactly is this "most powerful non-evil psi in the galaxy", who you are talking about :shock:
Last edited by Arent on Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

Arent wrote:Huh? Who exactly is this "most powerful non-evil psi in the galaxy", who your are talking about :shock:
Juke Cloudkicker? Puke Airrunner? Something like that...

It breaks my heart that a script as bad as Last Jedi (and Force Awakens, for that matter) made it to production. Haven't these guys ever heard of cinema sins? Force awakens reads like an 11 year old girl's Last Hope fanfic; substituting herself for Luke except "even more powerful". Don't get me started on LJ.

discord

Post by discord »

there are some movies and books you wished you had never experienced so you could experience it for the first time again, then there are abominations like the last jedi that you wished you had never seen as it is a stain on your soul.
https://jollyjack.deviantart.com/art/Th ... -727544229 <---- so damned true.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Weird tangential thinking time:
Is it possible that he's not picking up on telepaths, but rather telekines? Or that the 'energy which comes from somewhere else' i.e. whatever it is that telekinesis taps into, is what he's seeing a trace of?
Or that, as a gifted TP/TK (possibly a bodyguard for a Loroi Admiral*), she had a fragment of genuine Soia-era tech in her amplifier (as opposed to the primitive copies of that tech in most amplifiers) - and he's picking up on that?

Yeah, I'm not totally convincing myself either, but thought I'd throw it out there.
:)
PS can anyone remember if the guards who accompanied him on the shuttle are the same guards who participated with Fireblade in the initial interrogation?

*She gave him her personal shuttle after all, And Fireblade entered with the Admiral didn't she? Don't remember anything on the char sheet for 'I work for the Admiral' though ...

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

Aardvark wrote:Fireblade entered with the Admiral didn't she? Don't remember anything on the char sheet for 'I work for the Admiral' though ...
I believe Fireblade leads the "marine detachment" aboard Tempest. Marines answer directly to the Captain.

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

Depending on how much time there is, Jardin may overcome this unwelcome distraction and rejoin Beryl in their Sanzai/Lotai experiment.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

And... enter Fireblade again in the quotation.
Wonder if she will simply swap the torpedo launch away when it comes too close.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Turrosh Mak wrote:
Arent wrote:Huh? Who exactly is this "most powerful non-evil psi in the galaxy", who your are talking about :shock:
Juke Cloudkicker? Puke Airrunner? Something like that...

It breaks my heart that a script as bad as Last Jedi (and Force Awakens, for that matter) made it to production. Haven't these guys ever heard of cinema sins? Force awakens reads like an 11 year old girl's Last Hope fanfic; substituting herself for Luke except "even more powerful". Don't get me started on LJ.

The Star Wars franchise is a zombie which needs to be put down of its misery.

I enjoyed the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoon, nevertheless.

Scynix

Post by Scynix »

Sigh... I've been told that Arioch has repeatedly stated there wouldn't be romantic subplots but...

Alex/Beryl are such cute friends. And I mean FRIENDS. I don't understand the huge amount of resistance to it but can't they at least be 'really good friends'? Does everything have to be either detached Acquaintance or 'hey babe let's go to your room' fake romance?
They'd make such a cute 'We're partners!' pairing. Until redhead accidentally 'flings' alex out an airlock and the story ends anyways.
Ever since Alex seemed to get mad Beryl didn't visit him and she seemed legitimately sorry about it, I thought they would have made good partners.

Dunno why I see so many people here so against 'romance'. Just protecting each other is a kind of romance you know. It's a pretty open term that has been badly pigeon holed in recent years. I blame tinder.

/EndSadRant

Really enjoying the story, Arioch. I've personally re-read the series 8! times since I first read it. I've always liked how relatable Alex was as a person. He seems like he's really trying this best in a crazy situation but he's also still clearly recognized how far in 'over his head' he is.

Save him from the crazy redhead, Beryl!

Diodri

Post by Diodri »

Scynix wrote:Sigh... I've been told that Arioch has repeatedly stated there wouldn't be romantic subplots but...
There has been misinterpretation on that point a few times in the past, so let me clear that up. (I tried looking up the exact quote but couldn't find it). Arioch recently said something along the lines of, "I never said that there would be no romance in the plot, but people who are hoping for explicit sex scenes will be disappointed."

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Diodri wrote:
Scynix wrote:Sigh... I've been told that Arioch has repeatedly stated there wouldn't be romantic subplots but...
There has been misinterpretation on that point a few times in the past, so let me clear that up. (I tried looking up the exact quote but couldn't find it). Arioch recently said something along the lines of, "I never said that there would be no romance in the plot, but people who are hoping for explicit sex scenes will be disappointed."
TFW this whole first series is just a ploy for the inevitable Alex/Beryl buddy cop spin-off.

GabrielGABFonseca

Post by GabrielGABFonseca »

I can't understand why some people seem so distressed by the possibility of romance in Outsider. The webcomic, we must agree, falls somewhere close to a Space Opera in genre (more specifically, I think, the "New Space Opera" genre, which incorporates elements of harder sci-fi into the mix). Romance has been a staple of this genre since it's beginnings.

Outsider having romance doesn't mean it'll become an Adam Sandler movie. It also doesn't mean it will become soft-core adult content. Arioch is not crazy, you know?

If anything, it may very well be handled similarly to Leia's and Han's romance in the Original Trilogy, I'd reckon. And that is not a bad thing, in my view.

/Rant Over

Regarding the events of the page though, I think further experiments will have to wait. I wonder how will they deal with the missile? Fireblade swating it asside with her Telekinesis would be really cool, and an interesting application of TK.

Or...
SpoilerShow
... more likely, the missile will hit Highland-7, EMP the shuttle, and force our band of heros to hide in the Shuttle's crawlspaces as they're boarded.
... But that'd be an odly specific claim, wouldn't it? ;)
Tauntingly: "Enzin tii Eilis mé sibreg ranii tó lanzedad..."

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

GabrielGABFonseca wrote: Regarding the events of the page though, I think further experiments will have to wait. I wonder how will they deal with the missile? Fireblade swating it asside with her Telekinesis would be really cool, and an interesting application of TK.
I like the blue elves and an element of romance / friendship may turn out to be super important for this story.

The Red Haired Harpy and the potentially untrustworthy Mizol clearly the lesser evil when compared to the Umiak. God forbid one of the other scout vessels already made contact with the Hierarchy, leading them back beyond the Empty Quarter to an almost defenceless Earth.

Am afraid you will be right about further Sanzai experiments being put on the back burner, although Beryl still seems to be deeply concentrated at it in this page. There’s an impressive amount of issues to solve: the Highland-7 has a fuel emergency, would perhaps need to reduce relative velocity in order to be caught by the Gora Relay station, while already under fire.

Sigh, all those cliffhangers... (very well done Arioch!)

novius

Post by novius »

Zarya wrote:I like the blue elves and an element of romance / friendship may turn out to be super important for this story.

The Red Haired Harpy and the potentially untrustworthy Mizol clearly the lesser evil when compared to the Umiak. God forbid one of the other scout vessels already made contact with the Hierarchy, leading them back beyond the Empty Quarter to an almost defenceless Earth.
Every Loroi in this group seems to have her role cut out for her, it seems.

Beryl would be the one he could trust (and he already trusts very much, to actually allow her picking his brain) and, yes, possibly someone suitable for a deeper commitment. We'll just have to see where it leads, but after Babylon 5 I wouldn't flat out discount the possibility for mutual feelings to develop.

Tempo would be his counterpart in the diplomatic game. While he's pretty much forced in the role of representing Earth and the Humans, she did grow up with her preordained role. Even without her 'second line of work', Alex is well-advised to be on his toes around her since she has many more years of experience under her belt than he has. With her it would be a relationship based on professionalism, though not one of implicit trust.

Talon herself framed it best. With her, Alex would experience the accepting companionship of a squadmate in the field and having the connection only soldiers of similar rank would experience. That sort of inherent trust to have each other's back when things get hot.(*)

Fireblade is a bit of an enigma. She is portrayed as the 'lone wolf', and made her disdain towards Alex and the overall situation quite clear. Currently, the feeling is quite mutual (as evidenced with his charming moniker for her) and both seem to be satisfied to not to see each other more than absolutely necessary. She's the one he's most likely to strike sparks with, especially since the inexplicable ability he has to sense her might bring them onto collision course.

(*) Other movies and books which are more military SF I've read sometimes had squadmates share a bunk/bedroll/cot just en route to a major engagement to "relieve stress". Of course it was always frowned upon by regulations. Typically one of the two persons involved didn't come back from the battle, then. While the relation between Talon and Alex seems comparable, I don't expect to see that here....

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

novius wrote: Fireblade is a bit of an enigma. She is portrayed as the 'lone wolf', and made her disdain towards Alex and the overall situation quite clear. Currently, the feeling is quite mutual (as evidenced with his charming moniker for her) and both seem to be satisfied to not to see each other more than absolutely necessary. She's the one he's most likely to strike sparks with, especially since the inexplicable ability he has to sense her might bring them onto collision course.
Does she have disdain for him, though? That seems like mostly conjecture based on Alex' likely biased interpretation of events.

novius wrote: Beryl ...

Tempo ...

Talon ...

Fireblade ...
And you forgot Spiral, the best waifu, and elite gambler.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

We haven't read a single line from Fireblade (presumably because her caste disdain for verbal speaking). We don't know much about her personality, or how she feels about Alex.
At the very least, she is a soldier in the middle of a war, and Jardin is a total unknown. Considering how ofter Loroi relay on their senzai to know and anticipate their opponents, is east to understand how a single human can make Fireblade unease.

Arent

Post by Arent »

boldilocks wrote: And you forgot Spiral, the best waifu, and elite gambler.
"It was all bleeding like red and making gurgle-gurgle sounds" :mrgreen:

novius

Post by novius »

raistlin34 wrote:We haven't read a single line from Fireblade (presumably because her caste disdain for verbal speaking). We don't know much about her personality, or how she feels about Alex.
At the very least, she is a soldier in the middle of a war, and Jardin is a total unknown. Considering how ofter Loroi relay on their senzai to know and anticipate their opponents, is east to understand how a single human can make Fireblade unease.
Well, it starts in the elevator. Beryl did play with him the "good elf, bad elf" (Alex's words) spiel, but she still couldn't resist to showcase her little trick. And not in a gentle manner.

Second, she doesn't need to actually say something. These sidelong glances whenever he did a wisecrack are saying much more than words, as well as her keeping her distance as far as she could and still be fulfilling her duties as a bodyguard.

So yes, I'd say there is a good deal of distrust and antipathy between these two.