Crypto

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Quazel

Crypto

Post by Quazel »

Sorry about how off-topic this is. I wanted to ask if any of you have be following Crypto-currencies, and what exchanges you may be using.

I have also heard a lot of talk about using the block chain to automatically enforce contracts and prevent terms from being altered after the fact (aka, Wells Fargo). The general thought line is that the block chain will continue to have a profound effect on how business and security is handled in the future.

In any case, I'm curious about your and speculations on this. If you can work back around to Outsider relevance all the better.
KIKITIK-27-TIKHAK-TIKKUKIT 2020!

Witty_Username

Re: Crypto

Post by Witty_Username »

I have nfi about the blockchain, but if you're looking at crypto as a store of value, don't bother; it's a fiat currency with no backing, as opposed to government-issued fiat currencies backed by a government promise to 'make good'. Functionally there may be little difference but at least you can hold 'real' money in your hands, and it's accepted everywhere (plus if you earn and spend it in the same country you don't have to concern yourself with what the exchange rates are).
You can make money trading 'forex' pairs if you want. I'm on Binance and had a go with marginal success but then got bored of it and left it alone (if you're in the US and some other countries you can trade actual US dollars and Euros against crypto currencies but if you live most places you can only trade against Tether and other cryptos).

Cliff notes are I wouldn't bother using it as a currency unless you're trying to hide criminal activities.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Hm, crypto currencies could be the Lorois best bet for crimes or semi-legal businesses.

If it can't be traced back and the Loroi doesn't show her unusual wealth, she wouldn't be questioned closely. Yet she could still use these gains when on holiday for example.

Siber

Post by Siber »

...a lot of talk about using the block chain to automatically enforce contracts...
The bits and drabs I've heard about software contracts usually revolve around the hilariously awful things that happen when you treat code as contract and someone writes imperfect code, so I'm not in too much of a hurry to fill my cup with this particular kool-aid.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Cryptocurrencies: just hodling it, my keys are on an old HDD, where the power is disrupted, so waiting as a bery low priority project to be temporarily repaired and be pulled out again. Until then.... hodling it. (also not caring, don't know how much I have, it's from old student times...)

Blockchain as contract? A temporary fad. Will be gone soon again, as I cannot imagine judges liking them. And what happens if a judge decides that part of the contract is/was illegal? Then that part will still be recorded for eternity.... You'll just be recording flaws for eternity.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Witty_Username wrote:Cliff notes are I wouldn't bother using it as a currency unless you're trying to hide criminal activities.
Don't use crypto currency for criminal activity. Since all transactions are permanently recorded, if they ever trace someone to a particular account, then every criminal thing they ever did with the account will be laid bare. The only way that it makes any sense for crime is just that you have burner accounts where you prevent anyone from knowing who owns them, but that works for ordinary banking too.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

Absalom wrote:
Witty_Username wrote:Cliff notes are I wouldn't bother using it as a currency unless you're trying to hide criminal activities.
Don't use crypto currency for criminal activity. Since all transactions are permanently recorded, if they ever trace to a particular account, then every criminal thing they ever did with the account will be laid bare. The only way find phen375 at gnc that it makes any sense for crime is just that you have burner accounts where you prevent anyone from knowing who owns them, but that works for ordinary banking too.
Crypto currency is something to which you cannot rely on. Maybe some day it disappeared once and for all.