Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Adeptus Astartes Episode 2 
Author Message

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:32 am
Posts: 23
Post Adeptus Astartes Episode 2
Didn't know where to put this but had to fanboy squee about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfGPMJ8A0QY


Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:52 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:59 am
Posts: 26
Post Re: Adeptus Astartes Episode 2
I always wonder why they dont have guy with rocket launcher to shoot in drop pod when it opens.


Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:35 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:59 am
Posts: 8
Post Re: Adeptus Astartes Episode 2
Zorg56 wrote:
I always wonder why they dont have guy with rocket launcher to shoot in drop pod when it opens.

Keep in mind that we're talking about a multi-kilometer long warship with dozens (if not hundreds) of decks. And that shipboard security likely only had a short time frame of warning for where the boarding pods were coming in. While I don't doubt that the ship armory has all sorts of heavy weapons in it, I doubt they have enough to outfit every quick reaction security team with them, or that a team carrying weapons heavy enough to destroy the pod could get in position before the Marines disembarked.

I'm interested if the latter shorts will deal with the tactical situation of the defenders. Of drastically outnumbering the Marines, but having trouble catching the Marine Boarding party in a proper kill zone due to their relative mobility compared to a heavy weapons platoon.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:12 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:01 am
Posts: 27
Post Re: Adeptus Astartes Episode 2
This is of course assuming that the ship's armory wasn't destroyed during the breaching process. From the look of things, the breaching craft passed through several areas of the target ship.

If not then it would be prudent for the tactical squad to have inserted near the armory, so as to neutralize it as soon as possible and prevent the crew from arming themselves properly. That or they might have inserted themselves right where their targets (the rebel leadership) are assumed to be. Take them out quick and then exit before the crew can properly retaliate. Then move onto the next mission whilst the Imperial Navy peasantry deal with cleaning up what's left behind.

They are the Emperor's scalpel after all.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:21 am
Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:59 am
Posts: 8
Post Re: Adeptus Astartes Episode 2
Dorfington wrote:
This is of course assuming that the ship's armory wasn't destroyed during the breaching process. From the look of things, the breaching craft passed through several areas of the target ship.

If not then it would be prudent for the tactical squad to have inserted near the armory, so as to neutralize it as soon as possible and prevent the crew from arming themselves properly. That or they might have inserted themselves right where their targets (the rebel leadership) are assumed to be. Take them out quick and then exit before the crew can properly retaliate. Then move onto the next mission whilst the Imperial Navy peasantry deal with cleaning up what's left behind.

They are the Emperor's scalpel after all.

I find that rather unlikely given the scale of ships used by humanity in Warhammer 40k. It'd not only be difficult to determine which knock and cranny of the ship was being used as an armory (it's huge), but it's also unlikely there'd just be one centralized armory, instead of multiple smaller ones distributed throughout the ship. It'd be difficult to get your crew armed for combat if they had to run through kilometers or corridors to get your crew armed.
Image

Besides. The fact that the Marines ran into armed and armored shipboard security upon disembarking suggests to me that the crew has been on general quarters for awhile, with armaments already distributed. This group lacking heavier weapons was likely because they were a security picket.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:05 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:01 am
Posts: 27
Post Re: Adeptus Astartes Episode 2
Ah yes, I had forgotten just how huge those ships can get. Even though the ship that was boarded did not look to be of sufficient size, the points you brought up still stand.

I just love how one of it's cannons is almost the same size as that IRL navy vessel. And that's just a frigate too. :D


Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:58 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:59 am
Posts: 26
Post Re: Adeptus Astartes Episode 2
Quote:
Keep in mind that we're talking about a multi-kilometer long warship with dozens (if not hundreds) of decks. And that shipboard security likely only had a short time frame of warning for where the boarding pods were coming in. While I don't doubt that the ship armory has all sorts of heavy weapons in it, I doubt they have enough to outfit every quick reaction security team with them, or that a team carrying weapons heavy enough to destroy the pod could get in position before the Marines disembarked.

I'm interested if the latter shorts will deal with the tactical situation of the defenders. Of drastically outnumbering the Marines, but having trouble catching the Marine Boarding party in a proper kill zone due to their relative mobility compared to a heavy weapons platoon.


Yes, but there is no point send team with Stabbers (not even lasguns) against space marines.
They cant even damage weak points, they wont stop them even for a second.

Quote:
I just love how one of it's cannons is almost the same size as that IRL navy vessel. And that's just a frigate too.


This looks epic no doubt but it is horrible design.
Barrel is a giant weak spot.
For example look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y52mlhsYqiM

There is no way to penetrate 150mm pf sloped armor with 76mm gun (115mm penetration), but you shoot this giant barrel and...


Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:04 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:01 am
Posts: 27
Post Re: Adeptus Astartes Episode 2
Quote:
This looks epic no doubt but it is horrible design.
Barrel is a giant weak spot.


Well of course it's an awful design.

This setting has super human space wizards possessed by the forces of hell who can spit acid and gain memories from people by eating them. All the while walking around in armour that would in real life be almost impossible to effectively move around in, whilst totting automatic rocket launchers and shooting mind bullets from their finger tips.

40K was never meant to be taken seriously. It's all based on the rule of cool baby. 8-)


Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:30 am
Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:59 am
Posts: 8
Post Re: Adeptus Astartes Episode 2
Zorg56 wrote:
Yes, but there is no point send team with Stabbers (not even lasguns) against space marines.
They cant even damage weak points, they wont stop them even for a second.

Well there's some benefit. Keeping pressure up on the Marines by continuing throwing guys at them lets you at least know where they are. And *maybe* can slow them down enough for your properly equipped troops with anti-tank weapons to get into position. And maybe deplete enough of the Marines ammunition that they can't kill your specialist troops as fast.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:43 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2673
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Adeptus Astartes Episode 2
Why are Space Marines shooting Imperial Guard?

_________________
Outsider


Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:24 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:27 pm
Posts: 328
Post Re: Adeptus Astartes Episode 2
Traditionally because of demon possession. But in 40k, a simple accounting error can work as well.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:01 am
Posts: 27
Post Re: Adeptus Astartes Episode 2
Or they're just bored. It's not like imperial guardsmen are hard to replace...


Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:44 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:59 am
Posts: 8
Post Re: Adeptus Astartes Episode 2
Arioch wrote:
Why are Space Marines shooting Imperial Guard?

First ep outlines that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-MteECxZUY

There was a failed planetary rebellion against the Imperium, and a number of leaders for it are attempting to flee on the ship. The Space Marines, acting in cooperation with the Imperial Navy, are attempting to assassinate or capture the leaders of the rebel leaders.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:32 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.